• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of Newerth |OT| Free-To-Play [PC /Mac /Linux]

We shouldn't use PSR nor MMR.

Initally, we should have a thread for people signing up, and everyone that plays is required to rank each players. Once that is done, have one person (procarbine/delirium?) tally up all the drafts and make a final rank.

If there are 30 players then top 10 will be tier 1. 10-20 will be tier 2, 20-30 will be tier 3.

Any new comers can be placed into different tiers based on general consensus

Mode will be determined before drafting phase

Swag

That works.

Do we have a consensus though that the proposed method for running it is what would be best or any other additions / subtractions need to be made?

nara

Banned
why do we need tier system? just have everyone start at 1000 elo or something and work from there. select some players with the ability to -start games

Neki

azuki said:
why do we need tier system? just have everyone start at 1000 elo or something and work from there. select some players with the ability to -start games
that means only the best players are getting coins, which is why people want a tiered system, if we're not doing teams.

Swag

PuppetYuber said:
more organized, save time etc.

why are you so dumb/bad swag?
Nearly EVERYONE has said that a bot is unnecessary with this setup, why do you keep putting this idea forward when general consensus is that it's not needed.

Feel free to write one though if you want!

Lol you got no programming skills EZ

Kapura

Banned
Nome said:
Yeah you guys figure out w/e, I'll provide.
594332.jpg

kagete

No Bot! We don't need it. And I really do not want any structure where we have tourney-specific ELO/MMR/PSR. I get where you're coming from as far as a typical League structure, but that's not what's going to be a good fit for HONGAF because of the mix of players we have. A lot of you are very good, but take your extreme tryhard to TMM, no bots needed and you win coins and MMR. The most talented groups that want to take the next step can join actual tourneys, like we already do.

Like Swag and puppet I believe that player tiers are a great idea, although my execution of the concept might be a bit different. What are our goals for the tourney?

>Have fun/friendly competition
We need balanced teams for this. The focus should also be on participation and less on individual stats like KDR. Win share might be a good stat to track, and we could reward the top 3 players in win% for each tier for example. This is a tricky one though, as I am personally fond of persistent teams. I honestly think we can pull off having 3 teams again because of the influx of new players but at the same time I'm can see the negatives from teaming up. An old pickup basketball league I had did persistent Black vs White teams composed of 7-8 players each (this league also had 3 tiers for players). We could possibly try having just two persistent teams and split the players as best we can.

Encourage everyone to play, especially NEW players
We should move away from a hardcore rating system that will naturally distance the less experienced players from the hardcore. The tier system acknowledges that divide from the start and allows us to work our incentives around it

Have more games
We should do everything we can to encourage people to play. And again, creating a system that will reward balanced teams and punish stacking teams is the key. I explicitly want to avoid a "captain" picking the best 4 players available because he wants to win. Perhaps enforce a rule that from a pool of available players any given night, those with the lowest total games played at that point must be chosen for play.

Stop new players from backing out from playing because they're afraid they might not give their team the best chances to win
Every player is a contribution to any team! Should we maybe also reward the players with the most games played?

Unfortunately, I don't have a concrete tourney structure in mind at all. I'm afraid of individual play but also afraid that people might not like organized teams at all. My first idea was 3 tiers of players, with each one having a point modifier that affects how much point his/her team gets after each game.

example:
WIN : 3 points
LOSE : 1 point

Player Tiers:
(+1) New players - having a +1 guy on your team will increase the amount of points your team gets after a game.
(0) Average players - no effect on point gain after a match
(-1) Veterans - has a negative effect on point gain after a match
(-2) Evil Tryhards - nuff said

I'm thinking that this would naturally steer us towards balancing teams because if you always play your best guys, you're not really getting much points, and a weaker team can possibly get more points even in a loss.

Is this necessary? Perhaps not, if we can enforce the tier system somehow so that there will always be the same mix of tiered players on both teams. But not everyone is online at the same time so that's not guaranteed.

Right now nothing's set in stone so I definitely want to hear what everyone else thinks. We want to capture the fun atmosphere of IHs and make it just a little bit more competitive (coins!) without going overboard. IHs can get very salty and I definitely hope the IHLs won't magnify that :)

Guesong

T'would need to be tweaked, but I like the idea behind.

Else, behold!
Team Noobie
-Guesong
-Dorkimoe
-tomat
-MrMister
-Scythian

Guaranteed 6 points minimum, gg.

rac

Banned
I would love to play in a gaf tourney or with any gaffers at all. Going into solo queue I don't feel like I'm learning anything.

nara

Banned
Guesong said:
T'would need to be tweaked, but I like the idea behind.

Else, behold!
Team Noobie
-Guesong
-Dorkimoe

-tomat
-MrMister
-Scythian

Guaranteed 6 points minimum, gg.
lol I think you are onto something

Trying to think of a system I could code quickly over the weekend...
How about a page that has a new tournament signup button, u would sign up, and when we had 10 people, would create a team based on a mmr system I would create. After the game was over, feed it a match I'd and it would import the stats(would like to borrow delirious code), update a stats page, calculate mmr, etc, and reopen signups for a new tourney.
What ya guys think?

bzm

jeremy70583 said:
Trying to think of a system I could code quickly over the weekend...
How about a page that has a new tournament signup button, u would sign up, and when we had 10 people, would create a team based on a mmr system I would create. After the game was over, feed it a match I'd and it would import the stats(would like to borrow delirious code), update a stats page, calculate mmr, etc, and reopen signups for a new tourney.
What ya guys think?
not related but, are you ever not drunk?

delirium

Look, here is what I was proposing.

My program would just take a list of match ids. Split out a ladder and ranking system and a Elo-based rating. After lets say 10-20 games, there should be enough data that a draft could be made accurately. Then, there will be a page where you can select 10 players from all the players available, and it will split out the two teams that are hopefully balanced from those 10 players you selected.

delirium said:
Look, here is what I was proposing.

My program would just take a list of match ids. Split out a ladder and ranking system and a Elo-based rating. After lets say 10-20 games, there should be enough data that a draft could be made accurately. Then, there will be a page where you can select 10 players from all the players available, and it will split out the two teams that are hopefully balanced from those 10 players you selected.

Sounds like what I was going to do. What language are you developing in, maybe we could split up the project

delirium

jeremy70583 said:
Sounds like what I was going to do. What language are you developing in, maybe we could split up the project
Java on Google's App Engine platform. I've had an early version up and running but it pretty shitty. Working on a new version that should allow everyone to submit match ids.

I've been redoing a lot of the code ever since I've been reading up more documentation on App Engine.

delirium

jeremy70583 said:
Would you mind if I took a look? Is it just like java or more JavaScript?
Sure, the old version is uploaded to app engine. hongaf.appspot.com
If you want to view the source code of that version (mind you, its pretty shitty), PM your email so I can add you to the list of people who have access to it on appengine.google.com

Okay I sent u a pm with my email. I should get a chance to look at it this weekend. Does it use a subversion so I can roll back code, or should I make a copy and play with that?

delirium

jeremy70583 said:
Okay I sent u a pm with my email. I should get a chance to look at it this weekend. Does it use a subversion so I can roll back code, or should I make a copy and play with that?
It doesn't use subversion, it uses its own appcfg tool to upload and download from their servers. I'm using mercurial locally for version control. I should upload the new version I have locally in a few days after finish.

Dreavus

Are you guys going to make a separate thread for "season two" of the IHL? I might want to jump in this time (even though I don't have tons of free time atm). How did the scheduling work for the last one?

Swag

Dreavus said:
Are you guys going to make a separate thread for "season two" of the IHL? I might want to jump in this time (even though I don't have tons of free time atm). How did the scheduling work for the last one?
I'll make the thread this time

DIBS

IceMarker

It seems like even after over 6 months and a 1000 games played some of you all still consider me a noob, well if you want me to be one, I will play like one.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
MrMister said:
It seems like even after over 6 months and a 1000 games played some of you all still consider me a noob, well if you want me to be one, I will play like one.

Who the hell called you a noob? Nobody. You always think people are attacking you or something, when no one is. Then you go and ruin the game by griefing or feeding, then you wonder why people are attacking you? Seriously, man...

IceMarker

Anbokr said:
Who the hell called you a noob? Nobody. You always think people are attacking you or something, when no one is. Then you go and ruin the game by griefing or feeding, then you wonder why people are attacking you? Seriously, man...
It's not about who said it, it's the feeling I get on GAF, the feeling I get in Mumble, and it's the feeling I get in-game, no matter where I fucking am someone finds a way to piss me off, whether intentional or not. You know, you guys all think I couldn't carry a rock, and I'm getting sick of it. The subtle comments like swapping me with new players because obviously they are on the same level is me according to anyone who hosts a room whenever balance is brought up is a good example.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
And intentionally feeding is supposed to improve our image of you... how?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
MrMister said:
I said if people think I'm a noob, I'll play like a noob.
You do realize people make fun of you because you throw bitch tantrums like this?

Not because you're a particularly bad player, but because you behave like one?

IceMarker

Halycon said:
You do realize people make fun of you because you throw bitch tantrums like this?

Not because you're a particularly bad player, but because you behave like one?
Then at this point it's a vicious circle.

Card Boy

Banned
MrMister said:
It's not about who said it, it's the feeling I get on GAF, the feeling I get in Mumble, and it's the feeling I get in-game, no matter where I fucking am someone finds a way to piss me off, whether intentional or not. You know, you guys all think I couldn't carry a rock, and I'm getting sick of it. The subtle comments like swapping me with new players because obviously they are on the same level is me according to anyone who hosts a room whenever balance is brought up is a good example.

Just avoid the snobs, simple.

I had a Gaffer calling me out all the time when was doing worse than me at 1K 12D in a ranked game, i wont play with him again and i will leave it at that.

For the record OMFGIhateyou is pretty cool. Not sure who he is on the forums though.

bzm

MrMister said:
The subtle comments like swapping me with new players because obviously they are on the same level is me according to anyone who hosts a room whenever balance is brought up is a good example.
Usually that kinda stuff is balancing about someone like thor or loki, and not you. We dont go, "man mrmr is the same as this new guy lets swap em!". we go "damn throw some noobs at this loki_demi and see if he can carry it ccccy@"
Edit: spose what im trying to say is you get caught in the process of stacking against loki when it usually has nothing to do with you

Edit: not that it really matters but i think the APM is borked on your site delirium
P.S. get out of the bottom of the dumpster thor LOL

Swag

Reading this thread after IH is almost better then playing in the IH themselves
KuGsj.gif

As for MrMr, do you not consider yourself noob-ish? What would you characterise your level of play as?

MrMister said:
I said if people think I'm on the same level as a noob, I'll play like a noob. Read every line I write.
Things like this don't really help your cause, and honestly don't understand why you continue to act the way you do. We do the same thing to Sanjay and he takes it all in stride and understands it's jokes, if your taking things at a personal level, I dunno what to say.

IceMarker

Sebulon3k said:
As for MrMr, do you not consider yourself noob-ish? What would you characterise your level of play as?
If I had to take a guess I'd have to say I'm Criminalle/Yopang and Ulcajun's level.

Sebulon3k said:
Things like this don't really help your cause, and honestly don't understand why you continue to act the way you do. We do the same thing to Sanjay and he takes it all in stride and understands it's jokes, if your taking things at a personal level, I dunno what to say.
Have I not explained before that I don't detect sarcasm and jokes as easily as the rest of you? If not, you know now.

Ask SCII-GAF they'll tell ya!

Top Bottom