• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of Newerth |OT| Free-To-Play [PC /Mac /Linux]

bzm

orangecaramel said:
Wait, we have someone complaining about hero voices?

-________-

looooooooooooool
i like it when my heros reference memes LOL so funny and random it feels like im on reddit so cool!!!

oc

peanutbutterchocolate
I didn't know hero voices affected gameplay :\

I guess I won't be playing DotA 2 then, oh well.

bzm

orangecaramel said:
I didn't know hero voices affected gameplay :\

I guess I won't be playing DotA 2 then, oh well.
no one said it did. just cuz it doesnt affect gameplay doesnt mean everyone likes it. Graphics is a fine example of this

delir ill play around with fancying it up this weekend. Just don't feel like coming home from working with jquery and CSS all day to doing it some more ^_^. If someone else wants to do it feel free, if not i'll get it done over the weekend.

oc

peanutbutterchocolate
bzm said:
no one said it did. just cuz it doesnt affect gameplay doesnt mean everyone likes it. Graphics is a fine example of this
Graphics, yes. But voices? Seriously?

Neki

bzm is like those people they were talking about in the top 10 likes and dislikes of dota 2 when they were talking about the dota community at #1 worst: old and white, and saying "back in my day, hero voices use to say relevant things."

Guesong

Ultimoo said:
bzm is like those people they were talking about in the top 10 likes and dislikes of dota 2 when they were talking about the dota community at #1 worst: old and white, and saying "back in my day, hero voices use to say relevant things."

"Darkness called...but I was on the phone so I missed him." ?

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Dota 2 seems to have a lot of chatter, so I can see where bzm is coming from.

The wc3 dota community was just as toxic as the HoN community, and it didn't need voice chat to get to those levels. And that was even with the filter of disallowing players that didn't download the map outside of wc3. The massive influx of new people that just want to try it out/valve fanboys combining with the experienced players coming from dota, hon, and lol (lol) will create an amount of hatred in solo play that is going to be insane.

Guesong said:
A shameless plug now : if you don't intend in entering the NeoGAF DotA2 Hero Contest, please take a look at my hero design in this thread (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=446727) and, of course, express your approval. :)

Help a HonneR! While they are all busy voting for a joke hero, maybe mine will sneak by and get 2nd place. That's all it needs.

Other than the fact that it eats invis heroes for lunch, it's neat.

I've seen Kapura's before.

vocab

God. Hon is almost unplayable now. The balance is out of wack ever since this early access shit started coming out. Cthuluelephantmanpoormanskrakencookiecutter is awful simply because he doesnt have 16 skills, an escape, and high amounts of burst damage. I feel like half of the hero pool is simply obsolete.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
vocab said:
God. Hon is almost unplayable now. The balance is out of wack ever since this early access shit started coming out. Cthuluelephantmanpoormanskrakencookiecutter is awful simply because he doesnt have 16 skills, an escape, and high amounts of burst damage. I feel like half of the hero pool is simply obsolete.

This be sarcasm rite?

vocab

Tomat said:
This be sarcasm rite?

I'm dead serious. I play at least 3 games a night. I play with 3-5 other people, and a few of them uninstalled recently to just wait for dota 2. S2 heroes are just fucked up.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
vocab said:
I'm dead serious. I play at least 3 games a night. I play 3-5 other people, and a few of them uninstalled recently to just wait for dota 2. S2 heroes are just fucked up.

Cthuluphant isn't great, sure, but the game is hardly "almost unplayable."

Swag

vocab said:
9301186.jpg

bzm said:
did they mean hero voices? i didnt watch the vid but from what ive seen that isnt a plus at all. 90% of the voices sound the same
True for the females, but not the males. Males generally sound unique, but the females all have that high pitched nymph like voice. So annoying.

IceMarker

vocab said:
q4aNt.jpg

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
vocab said:
I'm dead serious. I play at least 3 games a night. I play 3-5 other people, and a few of them uninstalled recently to just wait for dota 2. S2 heroes are just fucked up.

And Dota2 heroes aren't? All the hard carries? Doom? Spiritbreaker infinite bash? Gondar/templar assassin insta-kills? I almost forgot nightstalker, the ultimate destroyer of all pubs...

I think s2 has a different vision for their metagame than the Dota one; one tbh that I like much better. They seem to be equipping every new hero with utility and early game ganking skills--this has led to quicker and more action packed games. Sure, you can still pick a carry and go afk rice for 60 minutes, but it's not the guaranteed win that it is in DotA.

bzm

Anbokr said:
And Dota2 heroes aren't? All the hard carries? Doom? Spiritbreaker infinite bash? Gondar/templar assassin insta-kills? I almost forgot nightstalker, the ultimate destroyer of all pubs...

I think s2 has a different vision for their metagame than the Dota one; one tbh that I like much better. They seem to be equipping every new hero with utility and early game ganking skills--this has led to quicker and more action packed games. Sure, you can still pick a carry and go afk rice for 60 minutes, but it's not the guaranteed win that it is in DotA.
Man hon is so imba fuck this game gonna go play dota 2
>every game has spectre
JQJIS.png

delirium

The more I read about Dota 2, the less enthuse I am about some of its gameplay. Dota purist are literally arguing against the inclusion of enemy mana bar because it "raises the skill cap" That along with Valve explicitly saying they will not have pauses for matchmaking.

Anbokr said:

I agree. Limiting buybacks, nerfing most if not all the hard carries (Sand Wraith, Chronos, Dark Lady, Madman), and only 4 to concede after 30 minutes all make games faster. You still get the occasional Scout who thinks his 35-minute Runed Axe will turn him into a carry though.

And I think the DotA purists were probably all up in HoN's grill when it first came out (about how it wasn't DotA). They've just migrated to DotA 2 bashing.

delirium

roxya said:
Really? What good reason could there be for that?
I have no idea. Probably because they think it could be abused or Valve's mindset as a FPS developer. I really think HoN's pauses, concede, and leavers protection are some of the best features that S2 made that won't be in Dota 2.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Wow, no pauses in MM confirmed? My excitement for dota 2 ia at an all time low.

Put this together with the limited hero pool, complaints of lag issues, and the underwhelming spell detail and the beta is seeming less and less appealing.

Nome

delirium said:
I have no idea. Probably because they think it could be abused or Valve's mindset as a FPS developer. I really think HoN's pauses, concede, and leavers protection are some of the best features that S2 made that won't be in Dota 2.
My guess is that it's because League of Legends doesn't do it. They've cribbed a lot of LoL and HoN's features.

rac

Banned
Phandy said:
Yeah this stuff made me nervous.

No concedes, pauses, or disconnect penalty? Seems insane that this isnt in. They want to have a good community and be nooby friendly, but dont include those? Crazy.

Edit - Wow big change on that scout. Changing him into much more utility. I like it.
I don't think anyone has to worry about concedes or disconnect penalty not being in yet. Those will probably be added when proper matchmaking is patched into the game. I'm not saying that isn't important stuff to have in a beta but at this point with there being no matchmaking there's not to much of a point to have concedes or a disconnect penalty. It still is in beta and its pretty clear they didn't want to show the game off this early (in terms of streaming and the amount of keys going out).

Swag

Procarbine said:
Put this together with the limited hero pool, complaints of lag issues, and the underwhelming spell detail and the beta is seeming less and less appealing.
I remember the HoN beta, 5/5 concede, vote kick, small hero pool, man it was so unappealing.

It doesn't make any sense to me to not have pauses. Even during the in houses we had people getting disconnected and the pauses helped until they got back.

If it's only limited to something like 2 pauses per team or however it is in HoN I don't see how you can really abuse it. And if you decide to use them up to stall the game, then if someone gets disconnected you won't have them to fall back on, so I don't think abuse is really an issue.

Swag

Why do people think Dota 2 doesn't have pauses? They paused the game during the international
KuGsj.gif
, it's in beta, probably more pressing things to do then implement pauses at the moment.

rac

Banned
Sebulon3k said:
Why do people think Dota 2 doesn't have pauses? They paused the game during the international
KuGsj.gif
, it's in beta, probably more pressing things to do then implement pauses at the moment.
Referees can pause the game but I'm pretty sure someone asked in the dev forums asking about pauses and one of the devs said there is no plan to put pauses in the game for matchmaking. Not 100% sure if this happened though.

Top Bottom