• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of Newerth |OT| Free-To-Play [PC /Mac /Linux]

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Teknopathetic said:
Tribestribestribes

And dance central 2.
You are probably the only person in HoNGAF who would even touch Dance Central.

IceMarker

W-where did all the HoN players go?

Ny079.gif

Haly

Wow that looks really good.

Too bad it's going to be a grindfest.

Is it reticle combat or no?

Halycon said:
Wow that looks really good.

Too bad it's going to be a grindfest.

Is it reticle combat or no?

You aim with the crosshair and I think it locks onto whatever target you're aiming at for attacks. You also have combo moves, situational abilities and blocking/counter moves.

So it seems like it'll be more involved than your typical mmo when it comes to combat but I'd need to play it myself to confirm.

Also the story cutscenes look pretty sweet. One thing I liked about Guild Wars was that they had little cutscenes for the story missions and it looks like this game will be doing the same, except with greater visual fidelity.

Haly

Too bad the writing for Guild Wars was so terrible.

Factions was just nonstop vomit inducing dialogue from Cathan Monasteries to the Imperial palace.

roxya

So, I'm a noob and I'm baaaaaaaad, and am just looking for some advice on how to progress. Talkin' about HoN here, none of this RIFT nonsense.

I've had the game for a while (I got in on the $10 account deal just 2 days before it went F2P), but I've not had enough time to play. I've only managed about 45 games, which over 3 months, isn't regular enough to improve my play. I reckon that starting to practice more consistently will solve a lot of my issues. Which is what I'm going to start doing.

I've only played no-stats public "noob" games. No-stats is annoying — I don't remember many of these games finishing with less than 2 leavers. So many people who play those are obviously not new, but it's fine because I'll learn faster against those than real noobs who haven't even read what the game is about.

Basically what I really wanna know is: should I start playing matchmaking yet? Is it an ok learning environment? If yes, should I start a f2p account so I don't often get matched up with legacy and verified players?

Conceptor

roxya said:
Basically what I really wanna know is: should I start playing matchmaking yet? Is it an ok learning environment? If yes, should I start a f2p account so I don't often get matched up with legacy and verified players?

My advice to you if you do decide to start matchmaking, especially a solo queue, is to grow a thick skin as fast as possible. Down-vote verified, play AP, and your server of choice and just jump in. I do feel it's a good learning environment, if you can handle the pubbies you'll potentially meet. Just stay cool and focus on getting better yourself (while trying to be a good team player first, of course) and keep on your legacy account, unless you're worried about stats and such.

On the other hand too, there are a lot of friendly guys here who won't mind making a scrub account to TMM with you and help you improve in a good environment. I mean, what number is kag on, kagete7 or something now? You can join IH games too!

Tomat your new avatar is subtle, but it's a nice change.

kagete

Yo, kagete5 is at 1460 MMR right now! I'm probably going to play some Hon tonight for a change. Rift is definitely a great game but doing hardcore stuff without a dedicated healer is difficult (just like WOW, big surprise). I feel bad because it seems like we're abusing Moustachio's kindness in Rift too much.

kagete said:
Yo, kagete5 is at 1460 MMR right now! I'm probably going to play some Hon tonight for a change. Rift is definitely a great game but doing hardcore stuff without a dedicated healer is difficult (just like WOW, big surprise). I feel bad because it seems like we're abusing Moustachio's kindness in Rift too much.
I played a bit and got to lv 8. Game seemed like a boring wow clone, does it get better later on?

PS: I would totally heal the shit out of you guys.

roxya

Conceptor said:
My advice to you if you do decide to start matchmaking, especially a solo queue, is to grow a thick skin as fast as possible. Down-vote verified, play AP, and your server of choice and just jump in. I do feel it's a good learning environment, if you can handle the pubbies you'll potentially meet. Just stay cool and focus on getting better yourself (while trying to be a good team player first, of course) and keep on your legacy account, unless you're worried about stats and such.

My skin is thick enough :D

I don't care about stats but if I play my legacy account and downvote verified, how does that work, since legacy counts as verified (right?)?

kagete

Overworld questing and random rift encounters are doable with any group but even the very first instanced dungeon at around level 16 (Fae something) is impossible without healing. I'm level 19 with all my points being put into Paladin and I have absolutely no way to heal myself or others despite being able to rez someone. I could put points into Reaver for some self heals but it will really only net me around 50-100 hp of dot heal over 10 seconds or something. I've liked some of the story quest chains I did so far but xenoblade's instant landmark teleportation has spoiled me so all the walking back and forth is making me sour. I'm tempted to just go full on dungeon finder but I'm not sure if hongaf is up to that since it's a bigger timesink and someone has to go dedicated Heal spec and Support spec if you want to queue as a group

bzm

Conceptor said:

On the other hand too, there are a lot of friendly guys here who won't mind making a scrub account to TMM with you and help you improve in a good environment. I mean, what number is kag on, kagete7 or something now? You can join IH games too!

Tomat your new avatar is subtle, but it's a nice change.
while youll be playing new people that way, yes, you also triple your chances of running into some random 105:1-kd rycho

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
RIFT is fun an all, but I'm lookin to play some HoN tonight. Let's get some IHL going?

Swag

kagete said:
Overworld questing and random rift encounters are doable with any group but even the very first instanced dungeon at around level 16 (Fae something) is impossible without healing. I'm level 19 with all my points being put into Paladin and I have absolutely no way to heal myself or others despite being able to rez someone. I could put points into Reaver for some self heals but it will really only net me around 50-100 hp of dot heal over 10 seconds or something. I've liked some of the story quest chains I did so far but xenoblade's instant landmark teleportation has spoiled me so all the walking back and forth is making me sour. I'm tempted to just go full on dungeon finder but I'm not sure if hongaf is up to that since it's a bigger timesink and someone has to go dedicated Heal spec and Support spec if you want to queue as a group
Reaver / Paladin / Riftblade was some of the best AoE levelling that I did back when I grinded out my warrior, but that really only becomes a feasible build when your in the 30s. Think of a 50-100 hp dot per mob so your regenerating as much as your getting damaged, not sure if the build has since been nerfed but it was popular.

Instant teleportation in an MMO all the time, is pretty terrible completely removes any sense of world if you can instantly go anywhere. Works in a single player game, but not so much in an MMO.
Tomat said:
RIFT is fun an all, but I'm lookin to play some HoN tonight. Let's get some IHL going?
I play HoN every night, Rift is a cool diversion but honestly the game isn't all that great, just feels like a poor mans WoW clone. Also your probably only going to play 1 match then leave tonight.

Nome

Sigh, Tribes 2. My friend bought it for my birthday when it came out, then he ended up opening it and installing it on his own computer "because he was so excited".

Swag

Nome said:
Sigh, Tribes 2. My friend bought it for my birthday when it came out, then he ended up opening it and installing it on his own computer "because he was so excited".
Sounds like the best type of friend, buys you a gift, keeps it for themself.

Haly

Tomat gets to choose Swag's hero, also he does not get to buy starting items.

Let's do this.

Swag

Halycon said:
Tomat gets to choose Swag's hero, also he does not get to buy starting items.

Let's do this.
NP, I'll just pick Pillow win my lane and proceed to lose the game, 100% guarantee.

In before Puppetyuber

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Sebulon3k said:
I play HoN every night, Rift is a cool diversion but honestly the game isn't all that great, just feels like a poor mans WoW clone. Also your probably only going to play 1 match then leave tonight.

Is that a problem?

Neki

Nome said:
is that you Moody.

did you do this to Nome.

moody, I warned you about the tribes.

I warned you.

Sebulon3k said:
NP, I'll just pick Pillow win my lane and proceed to lose the game, 100% guarantee.

In before Puppetyuber
I hope you've learned your lesson.

I'm level 13 now, but I probably wont be able to play later (playing as pillow)

Swag

Neckbeard said:
You fuckers. I dished out over 100plat and now you're all going to quit because it's "boring." Repay me in IHL PSR NOW!
Very fittingly Delirium is the one that got us all into Rift, and he is also the sysadmin for the hongaff app.

Neki

Neckbeard said:
You fuckers. I dished out over 100plat and now you're all going to quit because it's "boring." Repay me in IHL PSR NOW!
delirium is a jerk.

should have warned you about him.

should have.

Top Bottom