• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of Newerth |OT| Free-To-Play [PC /Mac /Linux]

Sanjay

MrMister said:
@HoN-GAF fail to get an IHL started for a week

V5n66.png

LOL.

Anbokr said:
not as bad as sanjay though, almost though...

Hey it's not my fault that you guys have no sense of humour :|

Phandy

Procarbine said:

Your doing the whole of this with a mouse right? writing everything looks painful.
Either that or your hand writing SUCKS.
Use text boxes next time or something.

Edit- I Sound like an asshole. Video is pretty cool besides, maybe a bit long.

Edit 2 - Only the biggest Members. (First post as a 'Member')

Sanjay

Phandy said:
Your doing the whole of this with a mouse right? writing everything looks painful.
Either that or your hand writing SUCKS.
Use text boxes next time or something.

Edit- I Sound like an asshole. Video is pretty cool besides, maybe a bit long.

I think Phandy is right, I should do the paint part of job, leave it to the pros.

Hey guys, I was watching Pro's video about hooking and now I'm a bit interested in making some guides, whether it be video or whatever. I think it would be a great idea to help out new GAF players as well as non-GAF. How about we brainstorm a list of topics we could work on? The first thing that came to mind for me, that would be fairly easy to do, is make a guide for warding and counter warding. It's something that no one really talks about, but when you're actually playing, it becomes a huge part of the entire game (though maybe moreso in HoN than DotA). I had a few other topics in mind but I wasn't 100% on them, so maybe we can find a way to think up some good stuff.

Phandy

I'm onboard.

Idea: Something about the laning phase. I think this is REALLY important, and its something that I think first time players dont understand very well. Just explaining the idea that you dont auto-attack and push hard, infact you want to do the opposite.

Cover the basics for like 1-6. Last hitting, denying, harassing, creep blocking, 0:00 runes, bloodlust etc etc
I'm Talking SUPER basic. Like if this was your first ever game. What you do when you wonder down to your lane.

Other ideas: Team composition + Laneing setups etc. Again keep it basic.

Also they should be recorded in game.

Obviously some topics will be more difficult to explain when you get to the nitty-gritty and high level stuff.

When I think of gaking/initiation, Guesong, it's a topic that is quite hard to quantify compared to something like wards. It's almost entirely theory based, and very little of it isn't dependent on the circumstances and a little bit of your own gut feeling/intuition about the situation.

But perhaps like Phandy suggested, we can break these things down for new players who might be playing their very first game of DotA, or any MOBA/ARTS/WHATEVER. Stuff that goes a long way (no auto-attack, basic harassing) would be really useful right off the bat. I'm on the fence about something like team composition/laning, although I suppose it could be a bit helpful to a group of 5 brand new players.

If you guys want, I can start compiling a list and maintain it, I wouldn't mind.

Meteorain

What I have learned so far from Pro's vid (not watched all):

- Anbokr is a source of trolling for Pro

- Freakinchair thinks Devo should be part of the Wanted movie

- Pro cannot use paint to save his life

I will update as I watch more...

dorkimoe

I wish you guys would make guides on what to buy, even if its just typed up in a word file and not a video. Tired of people going "WHY THE FUCK DO YOU HAVE THAT!". I just follow the in game guides :(

dorkimoe said:
I wish you guys would make guides on what to buy, even if its just typed up in a word file and not a video. Tired of people going "WHY THE FUCK DO YOU HAVE THAT!". I just follow the in game guides :(
The thing is though, there are tons of resources for that and entire forums have subforums dedicated to all of that. There are countless DotA/HoN/LoL/etc. websites out there. Although I guess the annoying part is that there isn't one place to get the very best guides. But I'm not sure that's something for us to do, without making a new website and maintaining it ourselves, which is a large project. And then there's things like how you can objectify skill/item builds, as people have their own unique playstyles that may or may not work for other people. And of course, there are tons of heroes and circumstances to work around, so there's that too.

Anyway, started to take screen shots for a DotA 2 ward guide. Disappointed that not all of my neat little ward spots in HoN work in DotA, and also that the warding game is downplayed in DotA as well. Even the most basic HoN ward spots don't work in DotA. It's a shame that if I wanted to go to in depth obscure wards, I'd have to make the guides game specific. Looks like I'll have to go hunting for new spots in DotA at least, though not having infinite items and gold is kind of a pain in the ass.

Phandy

FromTheFuture said:
The thing is though, there are tons of resources for that and entire forums have subforums dedicated to all of that. There are countless DotA/HoN/LoL/etc. websites out there. Although I guess the annoying part is that there isn't one place to get the very best guides. But I'm not sure that's something for us to do, without making a new website and maintaining it ourselves, which is a large project. And then there's things like how you can objectify skill/item builds, as people have their own unique playstyles that may or may not work for other people. And of course, there are tons of heroes and circumstances to work around, so there's that too.

Anyway, started to take screen shots for a DotA 2 ward guide. Disappointed that not all of my neat little ward spots in HoN work in DotA, and also that the warding game is downplayed in DotA as well. Even the most basic HoN ward spots don't work in DotA. It's a shame that if I wanted to go to in depth obscure wards, I'd have to make the guides game specific. Looks like I'll have to go hunting for new spots in DotA at least, though not having infinite items and gold is kind of a pain in the ass.

The one that got me killed yesterday (in that dumb ass shit fest we played) was the one below Legion Secret Shop. I cannot believe you cant place a ward anywhere on that hill. Its an amazing defensive ward placement in HoN, I have no idea where I would put it otherwise. I spent so long trying to find a spot (I didnt) that I got ganked and died.
/mad.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
HoNGAF making guides now and being productive members of the HoN community?

I'm so proud of you guys.

Sanjay

dorkimoe said:

Look, if the Arachna guide tells you to get a punchdagger and hp pot as first items, you do it!

Tomat

dorkimoe said:

Glad someone else understands.

Kapura

Banned
It's not easy to tell somebody else what to buy. It depends on your hero, your team, the enemy team, your current items, your gold, your ability to farm, and whether or not the team needs wards. It's hard enough to figure out what to buy for yourself, it's very difficult to track all of that for another person. For example, a freefarming madman at a 1400 level and a 1700 level will have vastly different items, because the 1700 should get every last hit AND keep the lane frozen. A 1400player isn't good enough at the game to do that, so they won't be able to get as much farm.

Tomat

Kapura said:
It's not easy to tell somebody else what to buy. It depends on your hero, your team, the enemy team, your current items, your gold, your ability to farm, and whether or not the team needs wards. It's hard enough to figure out what to buy for yourself, it's very difficult to track all of that for another person. For example, a freefarming madman at a 1400 level and a 1700 level will have vastly different items, because the 1700 should get every last hit AND keep the lane frozen. A 1400player isn't good enough at the game to do that, so they won't be able to get as much farm.

Tossing out a recommendation is really that hard? (Serious question, no assholish tone intended)

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Kapura said:

You can be an 1800 player and buy the same items for the same hero every game. After that you gotta adapt, and sure before that you can adapt too and that will make you a better player. But anyway, within the guide itself you can list a bunch of items for difference situations. IE - if __________ get bkb; if _________ get nullstone; if _________ get hellfire. Or _______ is your personal preference. You could even make a guide after all the hero guides detailing which of the major items is the best for what type of heroes/situations (ie - deso = ez win best orb; frostwolf = kiting, tankiness orb; satanic = late late late game; situational orb).

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
You can probably make a decent flowchart for item buying with enough work and tuning.

Kapura

Banned
it boils down to people buy the wrong items because they don't know what all of the items are and offer, and they don't know what the team needs from them. When i play with some of the upper tier players, I don't have to wonder what they're getting, and they don't have to guess what i'm getting. I can check inventories, and then ask if i'm not sure where that warhammer is going.

People get upset when people don't think. If you're against a team doing a shit-ton of magic damage, you should get a vestments. If you're against, say, dsham/rampage/tdl/defiler/FA and you look at your guide and build a full headdress without thinking, you've wasted 2250 gold. You need to know what armour is, what magic armour is, and what your role is. If you're plaguerider and you build spellshards, sotm, codex, or any orb ever, you are failing your team by wasting your gold.

Card Boy

Banned
Like the dumbarse i am with that free IGN HoN code i bought shit avatars. I am 27 gold coins short of that Female Slither avatar.

Shouldnt of bought that Gemini.......

Gvaz

Banned
Hey so I just downloaded HON but I have literally never played a DOTA game before and I have no idea what to do, is there anyone around that could teach me/be my friend/whatever?

Swag

Best to download and hop into mumble as a starting point.

Not sure what the details are off the top of my head

Conceptor

Gez said:
Like the dumbarse i am with that free IGN HoN code i bought shit avatars. I am 27 gold coins short of that Female Slither avatar.

Shouldnt of bought that Gemini.......
PM Nome and he might be able to help you out.

Pro, I watched your guide in bits and pieces, but I did pick up some useful stuff - thanks. Yeah HONGAF, let's get some stuff going!

Guesong

Nome, you guys really need to implement a gifting system for individuals items instead of only gold.

Or being able to gift coins you own already.

Guesong

Why would he ban you?

It's IGN Prime's fault if anything. Nome has helped out ton of gaffers with reimbursements/gold coins issues in the past.

Card Boy

Banned
I went from 1312 back up to 1474 in causal. I'm so dam scared making that 1500 :( Fucken randoms.

Ronin Swiftblade made me go all Way of the Samurai and shit and i won a string of matches. I was watching some moonmeander streams and picked up some tips.

Conceptor

Gez said:
I'm not falling for this. Wouldn't he ban me instead?
What basis would he have for banning you? Or, why would I be trying to trick you? lol did you somehow obtain those skins/gold/whatever illegally? I mean I'm just offering up some advice - it's up to you whether you'd like to take it or not lol

Gvaz: Check out this thread for more Mumble info and for the server details

Swag

Gvaz said:
Is mumble the thing now instead of vent?
IM DRINK BUT MUMBLE IS THE NEW NEW SHIT BRO, VNT OLD NEWS.

ALSO WATS THAT ANIME IN YOUR AV BRO, I NEED TO KNOW DAT SHIT, PICTURE LOOKIN GOOD AS SHI, FEEL ME?!???????????

Swag

Nome said:
The only Gaffer accounts I've banned are Meeru's.
PM me!
Eh Nome, you awae at 4am, I thiknk this is a sign you should get in Mumble bro, it's about time, you need to speak to the PEOPLE

Nome

Sebulon3k said:
Eh Nome, you awae at 4am, I thiknk this is a sign you should get in Mumble bro, it's about time, you need to speak to the PEOPLE
I would but I'm too busy shining tactical flashlights at much higher skilled BF3 players and getting kills I don't deserve.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Play tribes Nome, no bullshit lasers. Just skiing around at a billion miles per hour.

Swag

Nome said:
I would but I'm too busy shining tactical flashlights at much higher skilled BF3 players and getting kills I don't deserve.
So what your saying is you don't love us enough, I see how it is.

No worries bro, even if you don't hop in Mumble, I'll still buy your next game even though I probably won't play it. I just don't want you to not be able to pay dat rent you feel me, and I'm not saying HoN is bad or anything I've enjoyed that game so much, but I just don't play it no more man, it's lost it's magic, and it's probaly nothin to do with you, know what I mean? Just the publics man, they make me so upset, I dunno wjhat to do, I can't carry em like dat.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Sebulon3k said:
So what your saying is you don't love us enough, I see how it is.

No worries bro, even if you don't hop in Mumble, I'll still buy your next game even though I probably won't play it. I just don't want you to not be able to pay dat rent you feel me, and I'm not saying HoN is bad or anything I've enjoyed that game so much, but I just don't play it no more man, it's lost it's magic, and it's probaly nothin to do with you, know what I mean? Just the publics man, they make me so upset, I dunno wjhat to do, I can't carry em like dat.

drunk swag = best swag?

P.S. Never thought mspudding would join mumble before nome xD.

Top Bottom