• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of Newerth |OT| Free-To-Play [PC /Mac /Linux]

Sanjay

MrMister said:
Ugh, playing HoN is so easy compared to the delay/lag/animations of DOTA 2.

Dude, playing on UK severs made a world of difference for me, Team UK unbeaten 2 game run! what's funny is it feels about the same as playing on USE server in HoN when playing on a UK server.

Looking forward to seeing how Astroboy does when he gets in to see more varied results on this games net-code when you have to already deal with the delayed animation actions of heroes.

Phandy

Sanjay said:
Dude, playing on UK severs made a world of difference for me, Team UK unbeaten 2 game run! what's funny is it feels about the same as playing on USE server in HoN when playing on a UK server.

Looking forward to seeing how Astroboy does when he gets in to see more varied results on this games net-code when you have to already deal with the delayed animation actions of heroes.

BritGAF showing DOTA2 how we roll. Good games last night.
Playing an EU server made it soooo much easier. Last hitting and denying was actually possible.

IceMarker

Just won a couple rounds in solo casual mode MM, Magebane is so easy to pubstomp with GG

JZwKF.jpg

Guesong

The IHL shouldn't end yet. Surely there'll come a time when you guys are done with WoW, Rift, and disenchanted with DotA2. I'd say the IHL resumes then.

Also supercurious about procarbine's involvement now? Please breach all NDAs and tell us!

Meteorain

Phandy said:
BritGAF showing DOTA2 how we roll. Good games last night.
Playing an EU server made it soooo much easier. Last hitting and denying was actually possible.

Yo we fucking trucked the other team so hard that game with the big boys Doom and Skele King leading that ruck over.. Being able to LH and deny feels so good man.

Conceptor said:
lttp but Pro and Kag yeah.

Moon's stream is all sorts of funny right now. Dude's team is throwing hard and he's ragging on his buddies and pub teamates. Macros and BM left and right loll 2EZ GGGGGG GET ON MY LEVEL

Don't lie son, you just watching k-pop idol streams all day.

Conceptor

Meteorain said:
Yo we fucking trucked the other team so hard that game with the big boys Doom and Skele King leading that ruck over.. Being able to LH and deny feels so good man.

Don't lie son, you just watching k-pop idol streams all day.
Lurk harder Steve. Why shit up the thread with our
'Euro rage'
banter now? Though I suppose now's as good as time as any amirite.

Nooo don't finish the IHL this early! Also we need to initiate a HoNGAF drinking night so we can get Pro to somehow spill it

kagete

I'm on an MMO tear right now and I probably play only one game of dota2 or HON per day. Still halfway to 85 but I fully intend to try all the endgame 85 raids and heroics that I can before my one month free sub runs out. I played wow only because I quit before all the 71-85 content was released and was looking for some challenging gameplay. The dungeons have all at least been interesting and well-scripted, but right now that's really all they are : scripted to hell and back. Picking a tank and sticking to it means sticking to one play style for each and every instance. I can already feel myself burning out on this because I think I pretty much reached my skill ceiling in WOW, and there's really not enough variety or metagame to keep me going. Boss mods already tell everyone what to do for each gimmick boss and after a while (really just the first time for most bosses) it becomes just another line in the script to follow for the challenging encounters.

Dota2 hasn't been doing it for me because I'm still so unfamiliar with everything. Vsync adds some lag so I had to turn it off. I'm somewhat red-green colorblind (only on computer screens, not for traffic lights) so dire and radiant creeps look exactly the same to me. I had to set my contrast and saturation to eye-melting levels just to differentiate them. The minimap is almost unusable for me, and turning off its BG makes it unusable in a different way. I've probably only had 3 lag free games so far, and I think those were the only games I won. I could be definitively winning a game with other gaffers but still not feel like I had fun because I'm still struggling with everything. That stupid donkey has messed up my item-buying so many times I swear I'll kill him the next time he buys me 3 wraith band recipes that I can't sell back.

Right now, I really can't wait for diablo3 so I can play something brainless and just have fun.

Meteorain

The dungeons at 85 were made a lot harder than any wotlk stuff. You can't just brainlessly dps like madmen the whole way through!

delirium

I've been on a BG + BG2 binge. I just finished BG killing the end boss thinking it would move to TotSC but apparently you do the expansion before you kill the end boss so I'm moving straight to BG2.

Phandy

delirium said:
I've been on a BG + BG2 binge. I just finished BG killing the end boss thinking it would move to TotSC but apparently you do the expansion before you kill the end boss so I'm moving straight to BG2.

Yeah you do. The same with BG2 expansion (sort of), The Watchers Keep. You have to do it before you finish the game... but, you can finish the main BG2 quest and still do it before the end of Throne. TotSC is basically like another little town/area with some bigger side quests. Not a continuation of the story, you might have even gone there without noticing.

Related story:
Was talking to some super-scrubs on mumble just yesterday. They were complaining about how they couldn't get into BG2. Probably gonna mute them forever. BG2 = greatest RPG ever made, fuck Bioware for the trash they make and call RPGs now.

Meteorain

delirium said:

You probably saved yourself a headache skipping out TotSC for one reason only. The unpatched greater werewolf you fight there is so retarded to kill, his regen is nuts.

I wish you good tidings on BG2, my fav rpg as of yet. I just fucking love that game. What type of char you rolling with?

Yo Phandy, those people couldn't handle an rpg where the most random shit can kill you out of nowhere and isn't a little baby game like DAO.

kagete

Planescape Torment is better written (for me). Icewind Dale has the better combat and Temple of Elemental Evil had the great combat plus tight focused feel which I loved too. NWN1 was great, and I had the biggest crush on Aribeth de Tlymarande. I really liked the writing they did for that character. NWN's Underdark expansion was great because I was an RA Salvatore fanboy (thankfully short-lived) right around the time that came out and back then it seemed like the best fucking thing ever. NWN2's base campaign was forgettable but the expansion was great despite being really short. Kaelyn the Dove was almost as memorable as Aribeth and seeing the short blurb detailing her fate after beating the game made me really sad.

BG2 is a great big beast, like WOW was/is when MMOs were first coming out but it really doesn't make it easy for most players to just jump in and enjoy it nowadays. Last time I tried picking it up again I spent more time installing the recommended mods than actually playing it afterwards. If you want some throwback, party-based RPGing maybe give the last Wizardry a shot too.

Phandy

Yeah the others do certain things better. Like Planescape's story is a masterpiece.
But BG2 was just the perfect package of it all. Great story, great writing, combat was still good and one of the easiest to get into (no lvl.1 99% miss rates, woop). And it just felt epic because it was so big and had so much packed into.

The WoW analogy makes sense. BG2 was the sort of perfected version of the isometric RPG.
Reminds me that I need to play Fallout2 and finish Arcanum (although the turn based combat systems bug me on those 2)

Meteorain

That's the problem Kag, you started trying to play with mods. I've always played my BG2 re-runs vanilla (other than wide-screen mod).

I remember the first time I played BG2 from BG1. The step in visuals was this mind shattering psychic orgasm. The environment was simply fucking beautiful, and then all the new classes were a great addition as well.

I have yet to play Planescape Torment and ToEE, but I prefered BG2 to IWD, on an overall level granted that IWD had the better combat system (but not by much!). Come on, how much of a fucking badass was Irenicus? Last battle on the tree was such a fucking rape of him throwing god-tier spells left right and centre the first time I encountered him.

P.S. Let's not forget the Demi-Lich and Lich tombs you "discovered" to your unfortunate experience the first time round.

P.S.S The tower in Throne of Bhaal was pretty damn cool aswell, especially figuring out the elemental-orientated monster on the second level.

Edit: Yo Kag, I hated Aribeth so on the whole I was happy for that part of NWN: HoU lol

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
delirium said:

I'm jealous, I've tried to start BG2 so many times, never make it far in.

Also, I figure this is a good time to plug my W/L ratio in BF3, again.

Sure, only 17 games played, still damn good though.

OQf9i.png

Phandy

Meteorain said:
P.S. Let's not forget the Demi-Lich and Lich tombs you "discovered" to your unfortunate experience the first time round.

Man, FUCK lich tombs. Seriously fuck that shit. I remember one which was just a floating head, tried that shit like 25 times straight in a row, i think I remember some kind of count-down insta-death spells. The chest had such an awesome sword in it, I HAD to keep trying. Dont think I did it in the end. Fuck them.

kagete said:
I'm on an MMO tear right now and I probably play only one game of dota2 or HON per day. Still halfway to 85 but I fully intend to try all the endgame 85 raids and heroics that I can before my one month free sub runs out. I played wow only because I quit before all the 71-85 content was released and was looking for some challenging gameplay. The dungeons have all at least been interesting and well-scripted, but right now that's really all they are : scripted to hell and back. Picking a tank and sticking to it means sticking to one play style for each and every instance. I can already feel myself burning out on this because I think I pretty much reached my skill ceiling in WOW, and there's really not enough variety or metagame to keep me going. Boss mods already tell everyone what to do for each gimmick boss and after a while (really just the first time for most bosses) it becomes just another line in the script to follow for the challenging encounters.
If you're not 85 yet then the game hasn't begun to challenge you. Wow's 1-85 content is basically the tutorial.

It isn't until you get into heroics that the game becomes challenging, all the stuff before hand you can more or less do wow's version of a-move to get through it. Actually, isn't the current JP gear really high level stuff, so that even the old cata raids will be relatively 'easy'. Haven't played since 4.2 came out but, around the time 4.1 raids were getting nerfed to the point of being super easy.

Guesong

Procarbine said:
It just gave me the answer to everything, the big question, you know?

HoN 3.0 comes out in 42 days confirmed.

Silly pro disguising his huge leaks as Hitchhiker references.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm playing Tribes: Ascend.

GOTTA GO FAST.

delirium

This is technically my 3rd retry of attempting to finish BG2 (first time was years ago). The last time I loaded it up with a bunch of mods that make the game significantly harder and it became a chore to fight monsters (especially when mages and clerics got to "precast" all their spells before every fight) and when I tried to uninstalled the mods, my game borked. This time, I was much generous with the mods.

I remember playing the original NWN when it came out. Too bad the OC was terrible. The expansions where great for it though (and the fan-made and premium modules).

MotB was probably the one of the best campaigns outside of BG2 and Planescape. I really wished someone would make a new FR D&D computer game. 4E is probably the best ruleset to be used for computer games.

Phandy said:
Man, FUCK lich tombs. Seriously fuck that shit. I remember one which was just a floating head, tried that shit like 25 times straight in a row, i think I remember some kind of count-down insta-death spells. The chest had such an awesome sword in it, I HAD to keep trying. Dont think I did it in the end. Fuck them.
Have you tried to fight the Alhoon? It's a fucking demilich mind flayer. Seriously.

Tomat said:
I'm jealous, I've tried to start BG2 so many times, never make it far in.
The problem with BG2 is that it uses the AD&D 2.5 ruleset. Not really conductive for a great computer game and players who don't know the intricacies of them. That's why I think a 4E game would be great.

Conceptor

All this WoW/RPG talk hurts my brain. I got tired of the grinding involved in Spiral Knights after a few months so I can't even imagine what you guys do.

Haly, I'm signing up; do I need a referral code? or do they just give applications that have one priority :<?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Uh, what, it's a closed beta. You need a key from one of the numerous giveaways from the last few weeks, or you can buy the VIP pack and get a beta key from that.

Meteorain

delirium said:
Have you tried to fight the Alhoon? It's a fucking demilich mind flayer. Seriously.

What game has these? Normal mind flayers are pretty damn annoying on their own, probably on par with Beholders.

Phandy

Meteorain said:
What game has these? Normal mind flayers are pretty damn annoying on their own, probably on par with Beholders.

Hes in BG2, hes like the toughest Midflayer you fight I think. Hes like the king mindflayer in the mindflayer dungeon.

Meteorain

Yo wtf, I am pretty sure I have encountered everything in that game.....maybe I'm getting him confused with someone.

I may have to do another playthrough now....

Yo btw Phandy, I dealt with those Lich fuckers by having Carsomyr/Holy Avenger. That weapon is too beast to not use.....fuck you Kangaxx

Neki

Phandy said:
I swear someone posts this everyday and it still doesnt happen.
(I would though if we start early).
can't start early, I'm still at school for another 3 hours.

get exposed.

Card Boy

Banned
Sebulon3k said:
Can't believe he has 1500 viewers right now.

One of this accounts got banned for spamming GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Like 5 times after each kill.

From his stream. He named is steam account [S2] Maliken lol

NoapP.jpg

delirium

Meteorain said:
When you kill Tazok in BG2 he drops a key that opens a secret place in the sewers. In there you fight a bunch of mind flayers (raped me the first time I went there) and at the end, there's a bunch of mind flayers with their thralls and a single demilich mind flayer.

Meteorain

delirium said:
When you kill Tazok in BG2 he drops a key that opens a secret place in the sewers. In there you fight a bunch of mind flayers (raped me the first time I went there) and at the end, there's a bunch of mind flayers with their thralls and a single demilich mind flayer.

You know what I did that fight without even knowing who he was. I watched a video to remind me who it was and recognised the room/fight. LOL

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
PuppetYuber said:
I do. I just dont have gold coins to buy OP S2 heroes, so I stopped

Monarch and Gemini have been anything but OP. Gemini; however, I don't know much about--haven't seen anyone play her effectively yet. Seems like a subpar melee semicarry.

Guesong

Anbokr said:
Monarch and Gemini have been anything but OP. Gemini; however, I don't know much about--haven't seen anyone play her effectively yet. Seems like a subpar melee semicarry.

Needs super ricing for Gemini. It may seems easier since you can split wolves to do so, but a single wolf will have trouble jungling at level 6, not to mention you are much more vulnerable in lane with the other one...it's a nifty concept with a high, high, high execution barrier that in the end isn't worth investing the effort if you can just play Ra instead.

Monarch is a hell of an offensive support though, and I really like playing as her. Don't regret EA on that one.

Top Bottom