• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of Newerth |OT| Free-To-Play [PC /Mac /Linux]

Neckbeard

bzm said:
I dunno, the community could use a Moustachio's guide to getting mad, rageuninstalling, and yelling at your wife.

Then getting your ass whooped by your wife and reinstalling so you can blow off some steam. It's real problem plaguing literally tens of us. Tens~!

Neckbeard

Lone_Prodigy said:
Are the beta keys sent out via email or Steam?

Supposedly it just appears in your steam library, but I'm assuming you'll get an email too.

And:

MbYvd.png

Swag

Gloriously accurate Moustachio
Trasher said:
Is this the DotA 2 thread now? Let's get this party started!
Nah if you post Dota 2 things in here Alumnus will get buttmad, very ill advised

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Pro's guide to Spectre:

last hit creeps
ult to team fights
buy anything that isn't butterfly
?????
win

More seriously I'd be happy to help, but I'm going to be away all weekend watching people fight and drinking. No really, that's what I'm going to be doing.

Maybe we talk to the guy who is making the dota2 OT and have him reserve space and copy/paste some stuff in, or make our own thread? We can divide things up and then write about them.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Dota 2 is definitely fun because of all the heroes (I'm finding myself super nostalgic after seeing some of these heroes), but it takes A LOT to get used to the attack animations and to adjust to the graphics/spell effects. It just feels so different. Going to buy a hatchet on all melee heroes from now on.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Sebulon3k said:
Playdota.com already has a ton of guides
Presents the same problem. The guides are good if you know what you want to play, and want to know how you should do it, but they aren't really suited to new players. There are a few newbie guides, but again, having to go through different ones can be off putting.

The benefit of doing a GAF Learns: DOTA 2 Thread deal would be to consolidate all that information in one place for easy browsing, discussion, and Q&A. Just look at the LoL thread, there are tons of guides for League everywhere but people still come in saying "I need advice for such and such".

Valygar

Halycon said:
Presents the same problem. The guides are good if you know what you want to play, and want to know how you should do it, but they aren't really suited to new players. There are a few newbie guides, but again, having to go through different ones can be off putting.

The benefit of doing a GAF Learns: DOTA 2 Thread deal would be to consolidate all that information in one place for easy browsing, discussion, and Q&A. Just look at the LoL thread, there are tons of guides for League everywhere but people still come in saying "I need advice for such and such".

A thing like that would be wonderful! I was looking for some guides right now, and the ones I found I didn't really liked. I would try to help with some "I'm a noob and I don't understand that" Quality Assurance.

I also was thinking of going back to HoN again with a few RL friends, but I don't know if that will make them hate the game (and Dota 2) or really like it. If there were bots, I would try it for sure so they understand how the courier/items and the map is different to LoL's map.

Sebulon3k said:
Gloriously accurate Moustachio

Nah if you post Dota 2 things in here Alumnus will get buttmad, very ill advised
Oh, you must have misunderstood me. I don't care if you talk about anything. I am just pretty sure no one gives a shit about how you got a bunch of kills in a game. But hey, I guess your argument that since I don't post in this thread often, it's clearly because I don't care about this thread, don't read it, and don't post in it whatsoever. And since people don't discuss things, it is just as good to shit up the thread with useless garbage that no one cares about? Cause you know what they say, if you have nothing to say, just say something pointless and irrelevant that contributes nothing to anything. Anything to get that illusion of discussion going, right? Oh, and let's not forget to throw that blatant bragging in there for good measure.

But hey, I liked your example about how when we were talking about Rift, I didn't care. Clearly I'm so hypocritical right? Let's go back to all those scoreboards we posted about how well I did in PvP or all my amazing gear. Shit, man, I should have really got mad about that. Cause you know, I was mad about the discussion and not about the fact you were shitting it up in here like it was a LoL thread.

But ok Swag, clearly I was wrong. Please continue on.

Swag

FromTheFuture said:
Oh, you must have misunderstood me. I don't care if you talk about anything. I am just pretty sure no one gives a shit about how you got a bunch of kills in a game. But hey, I guess your argument that since I don't post in this thread often, it's clearly because I don't care about this thread, don't read it, and don't post in it whatsoever. And since people don't discuss things, it is just as good to shit up the thread with useless garbage that no one cares about? Cause you know what they say, if you have nothing to say, just say something pointless and irrelevant that contributes nothing to anything. Anything to get that illusion of discussion going, right? Oh, and let's not forget to throw that blatant bragging in there for good measure.

But hey, I liked your example about how when we were talking about Rift, I didn't care. Clearly I'm so hypocritical right? Let's go back to all those scoreboards we posted about how well I did in PvP or all my amazing gear. Shit, man, I should have really got mad about that. Cause you know, I was mad about the discussion and not about the fact you were shitting it up in here like it was a LoL thread.

But ok Swag, clearly I was wrong. Please continue on.
Yo remember a few months ago when we said you were easy to troll? Case in Point.

More importantly, if you have a prob with the posts, Neogaf has a handy function called the ignore list.

I'm easy to troll? You're not trolling me, I'm just spouting some real talk. Stop acting like you're some master troll when in actuality all you are ever doing is bailing out your idiocies with the 'troll' word like every other person on the internet
KuGsj.gif

PS. I'm always 100% serious when I pretend I'm angry about something, and you always fall for it. So that makes me some uber troll. See, I can be a moron like you too!

Swag

FromTheFuture said:
I'm easy to troll? You're not trolling me, I'm just spouting some real talk. Stop acting like you're some master troll when in actuality all you are ever doing is bailing out your idiocies with the 'troll' word like every other person on the internet
KuGsj.gif

PS. I'm always 100% serious when I pretend I'm angry about something, and you always fall for it. So that makes me some uber troll. See, I can be a moron like you too!
Lol are you serious? There's a reason Procarbine coined the term "Alumnus Shuffle" and why your vice in the drinking game was getting mad, shit's public knowledge. As for bailing myself out, PLEASE reference a time where I've mentioned trolling anyone but you, I've said some dumb shit before but don't try to make up some BS that I excuse myself under the guise of trolling. The comment was meant to be taken as Tongue-in-Cheek like nearly every other post in this thread of that nature, get with the times.

Seeing as how your worried about the thread being "shitted up" why don't you contribute something with a little more substance? Oh wait, you've posted 3 things of substance in the past month along with a post similar to the one you mention is "shitting up" the thread, and the usual "shit up the thread with useless garbage that no one cares about? Cause you know what they say, if you have nothing to say, just say something pointless and irrelevant that contributes nothing to anything" type posts that every regular in this thread posts. But hey that whole thing about you being a hypocrite? Yeah definitely no basis for that at all.

As for the screenshots, I posted them because we were joking about it while we were playing and MrMr mentioned putting them in the thread, so I did, but like I said, if you got a problem with the posts, Neogaf's got a handy ignore function.
Halycon said:
Gotcha, I thought you were looking to do more of the guides suited to how to play individual heroes and not so much where to begin if your new.

Conceptor

It's just between Alumnus and Swag really, and I'm sure they can sort it out themselves.

Anyway, Haly/Pro, take your time, we've got a while. Like a couple of you figured, the idea is to first come up with some stuff and then, as Haly puts it, 'consolidate all that information in one place for easy browsing, discussion, and Q&A' - most likely the official DotA 2 OT. As invites for the DotA 2 beta start spreading, we're going to find ourselves with an increasing number of people who have little to no experience in the genre, and I feel that more often than not, they'll come to this community for a little guidance and direction. Playdota.com would only help them so much.

We still have a lot of time as the open beta still relatively far away, but the idea is to have the majority of our ideas together by the time the DotA 2 thread is ready to go up. Last I checked, orangecaramel and Archie were going to be organizing that thread, but when I mentioned the fact to OC a few weeks ago, he said he wasn't entirely sure if he still wanted to do it all (iirc). And the other night on mumble, Archie mentioned that he was under the impression that OC was still going to be working on the OT, and he [Archie] might do the beta thread instead. Obviously you two can decide between yourselves about how it's gonna be done, but I'm just bringing it up for discussion sake and so that you're aware of what we [HONGAF] might wanna contribute towards it.

Sanjay

Conceptor said:
Last I checked, orangecaramel and Archie were going to be organizing that thread, but when I mentioned the fact to OC a few weeks ago, he said he wasn't entirely sure if he still wanted to do it all (iirc). And the other night on mumble, Archie mentioned that he was under the impression that OC was still going to be working on the OT, and he [Archie] might do the beta thread instead. Obviously you two can decide between yourselves about how it's gonna be done, but I'm just bringing it up for discussion sake and so that you're aware of what we [HONGAF] might wanna contribute towards it.

Get with the times con, we have a thread for this. Have some forum awareness son.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=450653

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I wanted to do the thread but Meeru volunteered (and actually had a pretty good OP) so right now I have nothing in terms of having an acceptable OT. Besides, my threads don't seem to turn out that well. :'(

Edit: I'd love to help work on a thread, but I have no graphic design skills so I couldn't put in any pretty pictures. I could help brainstorm topics and such (i.e. What is DotA, your first game, general guides, etc)

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
I didn't coin alumnus shuffle swag, wasn't that you?

Sanjay said:
Let me add more drama, Procarbine don't you dare laugh at my lifetube again on Plague Rider, shut it!

Lol what the fuck is that video sanjay. PS: I went vanguard lich like every game in dota.

Swag

Procarbine said:
I didn't coin alumnus shuffle swag, wasn't that you?
Nah I heard it from you.

I'm throwing a party on Saturday night if your down, slight Halloween theme, costume not required prolly.

Conceptor

Sanjay said:
Get with the times con, we have a thread for this. Have some forum awareness son.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=450653
Yes yes Grandpa Sanjay. Except everyone in that thread so far has just been calling dibs to prevent confusion or thread derailment in official OTs, like with the BF3 OT.

Archie said:
I wanted to do the thread but Meeru volunteered (and actually had a pretty good OP) so right now I have nothing in terms of having an acceptable OT. Besides, my threads don't seem to turn out that well. :'(

Edit: I'd love to help work on a thread, but I have no graphic design skills so I couldn't put in any pretty pictures. I could help brainstorm topics and such (i.e. What is DotA, your first game, general guides, etc)
Even now, Meeru still haunts us. Really though, no worries, we'll figure something out. Not speaking on his behalf, but OC is pretty good with graphics and such too.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I think Alumnus raises a fair point. We don't really discuss much HoN in this thread. Most of it is about how well so and so did or friendly shit talk.

I get why that is, it's more about the community of people here instead of the game itself, but I still think it's a fair point.

delirium

Tomat said:
I think Alumnus raises a fair point. We don't really discuss much HoN in this thread. Most of it is about how well so and so did or friendly shit talk.

I get why that is, it's more about the community of people here instead of the game itself, but I still think it's a fair point.
I really do think we're more than just a group of people that just play HoN. I mean, we successfully transferred over to RIFT easily, we can probably play any game that all of us could join. Like Kag said in Mumble once, we're his online social group/friends.

On that note, kind of sucks that I can't play/be online more lately. Been really busy with work and family related stuff.

Swag

Tomat said:
There isn't enough going on in HoN to really discuss on a daily basis, sure something happens every once in a while, like the PaintitGold post, or release of a new hero, 3.0 leaks etc. So naturally people are going to post about w/e the community is currently interested in / occupying themselves with.

Go in the SC2 thread and people discuss streams or their recent matches, TF2 thread people discuss custom guns and their keybindings, WoW thread people discussing recent raids / re rolls for Mists of Pandaria, KPop thread is constant GIFS and ogling of Korean females, go into the HoN thread and it's a bunch of people talking about DOTA2 / minor jabs.

No surprises, that's why rarely anything of actual substance is discussed in the community threads and instead gets posted in the gaming side.

Don't like it? Well, DWI.
Thorinbei said:
monkey king so strong confirmed???
You still getting Crunched?

Recon

Banned
Guesong said:
Still not sold on it being a slower game though. I much prefer HoN's rhythm tbh.

I don't know what i prefer. I only played around 100 or so games of Dota1 before getting in Hon's beta. I have well over 1500 games of HoN, so i think I'm just more accustomed to Hon. I uninstalled HoN though, so I'm pretty much forcing myself into only playing dota2.

Haly

DOTA2 could definitely take some hints from HoN.

Namely: Striders

I don't know if it's the players or what but so far all of my games have devolved into super passive farm fests at around 30 minutes in.

Swag

Halycon said:
I don't know if it's the players or what but so far all of my games have devolved into super passive farm fests at around 30 minutes in.
If your talking about the games that we played yesterday, they slowed down considerably because they other teams were always scared to push and chose to turtle so they could catch up.

if your Mid Game is weak, better to play it safe and not fight during it.

Haly

Oh, I guess that's true.

Turtling is boring :(

Sebulon3k said:
Lol are you serious? There's a reason Procarbine coined the term "Alumnus Shuffle" and why your vice in the drinking game was getting mad, shit's public knowledge. As for bailing myself out, PLEASE reference a time where I've mentioned trolling anyone but you, I've said some dumb shit before but don't try to make up some BS that I excuse myself under the guise of trolling. The comment was meant to be taken as Tongue-in-Cheek like nearly every other post in this thread of that nature, get with the times.

Seeing as how your worried about the thread being "shitted up" why don't you contribute something with a little more substance? Oh wait, you've posted 3 things of substance in the past month along with a post similar to the one you mention is "shitting up" the thread, and the usual "shit up the thread with useless garbage that no one cares about? Cause you know what they say, if you have nothing to say, just say something pointless and irrelevant that contributes nothing to anything" type posts that every regular in this thread posts. But hey that whole thing about you being a hypocrite? Yeah definitely no basis for that at all.

As for the screenshots, I posted them because we were joking about it while we were playing and MrMr mentioned putting them in the thread, so I did, but like I said, if you got a problem with the posts, Neogaf's got a handy ignore function.

Gotcha, I thought you were looking to do more of the guides suited to how to play individual heroes and not so much where to begin if your new.
You're so easy to troll
KuGsj.gif
. Case in point. EZ

Haly

This is the DOTA2 thread for cool kids.

Ra finally nerfed.

The current Free Heroes have changed. The current available list is:
* Valkyrie
* Sand Wraith
* Master of Arms
* Soulstealer
* Slither

* Defiler
* Pollywog Priest
* Demented Shaman
* Hellbringer

* Maliken
* Armadon
* Pestilence
* Magmus
* Pebbles
* Accursed

- Added a new Alt Avatar: Demented Witch
- Added some new sound effects for Ronin Swiftblade

Nullfire
- Cooldown from 12/20 seconds to 20 seconds

Amun Ra
- Reduced starting Armor from 1.12 to 1.02
- Reduced starting Strength from 22 to 21

Drunken Master
- Starting Armor reduced from 3.38 to 2.88

Electrician
- Starting Agility from 15 to 13

Engineer
- Intelligence growth from 1.8 to 2.1

Geomancer
- Earth’s Grasp radius increased from 170 to 180

Master of Arms
- Acid Bomb now deals 75% damage to non heroes

Monkey King
- Starting Armor reduced by 1 (5.90 -> 4.90)
- Heavenly Vault combo reworked
* Damage rescaled so that each additional application will deal half of the previous
* Landing affector time increased by 200ms, size increased by 50 AoE to accomodate for this change
* Maximum damage of Vault combo is now 250+125+63 at level 4

Nymphora
- Teleport cooldown increased from 60 to 90/75/60

Parasite
- Starting Strength reduced from 23 to 21

Pollywog Priest
- Voodoo Wards cooldown increased from 100 to 120/110/100

Tundra
- Shiver day sight range from 500/500/1600/1600 to 700/700/1200/1200
- Shiver night sight range from 500/500/1200/1200 to 500/500/1000/1000
- Call of Winter manacost increased from 25 to 50

Wretched Hag
- Removed the Flash of Darkness minimum range requirement

Zephyr
- Strength growth from 2.5 to 2.2

Neckbeard

Tomat said:
http://i.imgur.com/DYh22.png
Am I even allowed to avatar quote myself? Seems lame.

It's like peeking at the guy next to you at the urinals in the bathroom. You shouldn't do it, but sometimes curiosity gets the best of you.. But no one is going to call you out on it and make it awkward.

Just for the record, that was a metaphor; the only dude I've watched pee is my son, and even then not by choice.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Honestly most of my Dota2 games have played out pretty similarly to HoN, the only difference is games that would be CC'd in HoN get played out in Dota.

dorkimoe

ikuu give me a dota 2 account :(

We had some awesome HoN games last night, with freakingchair, insured, swift, fulleh. That game where they kept porting all around was awesome haha

Top Bottom