• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of Newerth |OT| Free-To-Play [PC /Mac /Linux]

Tryckser said:
I REALLY hate carry heroes in this game. I will only play support and tank heroes from now on! (except Flint and CD). Mark my words!
lol I don't understand how you can hate carries but then end up enjoying Flint. I hate Flint so much.

Styles

spermatic cord said:
lol I don't understand how you can hate carries but then end up enjoying Flint. I hate Flint so much.

He's a fucking chicken! Fight up close like a man Flint! And those mini stuns...

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Kapura said:
They already do this. It's called "being a leaver" and valenti has some insight into what it's like.
Yeah but they don't lump all the leavers together. That would be even more hilarious (sorry val :D)

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
- Concede now only requires 4/5 "Yes" votes after 30 minutes instead of normal 5/5
- Concede now only requires 4/5 "Yes" votes after 30 minutes instead of normal 5/5

Thank you, based S2.

Dreavus

Archie said:

Thank you, based S2.

Interesting. Should be good for the jerks who won't concede either because they're farming KDR, don't know what their doing, or trying to troll their team. First impression is that 30 minutes seems a tiny bit too soon, but overall it'll serve to end those terrible games where only one dude wants to fight it out.

Haly

Guys just wait until I farm up Shrunken Head, Savage Mace and Behemoth Heart and I'll carry you.

Swag

Lone_Prodigy said:
Competitive players will always whine about the metagame becoming more accessible to new players, forgetting that they were once a new player.

I don't think the crutch of his argument is whining about accessibility but more so what it does to the meta game as a whole, and how that affects the competitive scene. When was the last time you didn't hear the words SK EG MSI when it comes to a tournament finals?

I skimmed it so I may be wrong, but it seems different from the cliche veteran vs newbie argument

delirium

Sebulon3k said:
I don't think the crutch of his argument is whining about accessibility but more so what it does to the meta game as a whole, and how that affects the competitive scene. When was the last time you didn't hear the words SK EG MSI when it comes to a tournament finals?

I skimmed it so I may be wrong, but it seems different from the cliche veteran vs newbie argument
I don't see how seeing SK, EG, or MSI being top means anything about the current metagame and balance. It's no different than any sports, a few teams are always going to be better than others because of skill, money, or something else.

From what I can see of his argument, the availability of blood chalice, striders, etc have lowered certain skills required to master the game (positioning, mana management). However, he seems to miss the fact that with removing those barriers, more importance have been placed on other skills as well as requiring new skills (ganking, late game supporting).

Meteorain

I think maybe a compromise is in order.

Change the accessibility of the items depending on what mode you play. I don't have much of a beef with striders, but Chalice just lowered the bar by a bit too much. It makes the entire point of mana conservation pointless. You can sit in the lane all damn day even if you spam moves for jokes.

Learning when to use moves was always an essential part of dota. You learnt it by making the mistakes and being punished for being an idiot and just wasting your mana.

Swag

delirium said:
I don't see how seeing SK, EG, or MSI being top means anything about the current metagame and balance. It's no different than any sports, a few teams are always going to be better than others because of skill, money, or something else.

From what I can see of his argument, the availability of blood chalice, striders, etc have lowered certain skills required to master the game (positioning, mana management). However, he seems to miss the fact that with removing those barriers, more importance have been placed on other skills as well as requiring new skills (ganking, late game supporting).

I was a testament to his point on how comp teams don't migrate to HoN because of the poor meta-game according to him

delirium

Sebulon3k said:
I was a testament to his point on how comp teams don't migrate to HoN because of the poor meta-game according to him
Does SC2 have a poor metagame because many of the super stars in SC aren't migrating to SC2? Some of these pros just can't handle change, because they built their skills off of the idiosyncrasies of the original. They perceive any changes as negative because they think those changes affect the minor things that give them an edge.

Meeru

Banned
delirium said:
Does SC2 have a poor metagame because many of the super stars in SC aren't migrating to SC2? Some of these pros just can't handle change, because they built their skills off of the idiosyncrasies of the original. They perceive any changes as negative because they think those changes affect the minor things that give them an edge.
What? Its cuz they are contracted under kespa what are you talking about. Plenty of sc stars in sc2.

Swag

valenti said:
That last game..I don't know man. if ss didnt get focused, he wouldve blinked in and ulted.

That last fight we killed SS, he didn't have a Buy back.

It was just wierd, cause Pebbles and you could've killed the rest of their team cause he had a blink combo up and Myrmidon was alone, but you TP'd I was like wut.

It's ok we all make mistakes.

Haly

Val is the poster child of bailout.gifs :p

Also I love it when trolls think they're going to win, it makes counter trolling so much more delicious.

Haly

Clearly she randomly swaps control of heroes.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
empath.jpg

Haly

Woah now, did they hire the LoL art team for this or something?

Swag

Let's take some bets on what her ult does.

I'm guessing she drains enemy mana in an AOE and passes it to your team doing damage at the same time, a similar effect to Obsidian Destroyer ( Who Should be in this Game :< )

Haly

They said they needed whole new set of code for her ult no?

Obsidian's (god bless him, an int attacker who doesn't suck) ult should be possible with the current engine.

Haly

Oh god I hope it's not an alternative resource hero.

NO ENERGY NOME, NO ENERGY.

Swag

Lone_Prodigy said:
Kills herself (or drains all her mana) to restore an ally to full health/mana.

This would be completely ridiculous, having to kill a hero 3 times if they have token. COMPLETELY RIDICULOUS

Also, maybe she is a hero that can attack post mortem, I know there's a hero in LoL that can do this and it would make sense as to why they needed to add more code.

Kapura

Banned
Maybe it's a hero who takes control of itseld when noobs are playing it, allowing me to play with kids who know how to play their fucking hero. I'm starting to suspect artificial intelligence may be the only type of intelligence i could see in smm

Swag

I'm curious about something I notice a lot about guys on GAF and on the forums.

Why is everyone jumping ship for DOTA2? I mean I know I'll probably buy it when it comes out, but I'm probably not forsaking HoN, I'll play it whilst still playing DOTA2 as the similarities are most probably going to be the same.

Even though the hero pool will be larger, I'm sure that we will still have situations seeing the same heroes over and over again, See HoN: When was the last time you played a game without a Bubbles, Hellbringer, Witch Slayer?

Meeru

Banned
Sebulon3k said:
I'm curious about something I notice a lot about guys on GAF and on the forums.

Why is everyone jumping ship for DOTA2? I mean I know I'll probably buy it when it comes out, but I'm probably not forsaking HoN, I'll play it whilst still playing DOTA2 as the similarities are most probably going to be the same.

Even though the hero pool will be larger, I'm sure that we will still have situations seeing the same heroes over and over again, See HoN: When was the last time you played a game without a Bubbles, Hellbringer, Witch Slayer?
Cuz no templar assassin.

Swag

valenti said:
Cuz no templar assassin.

Makes sense, although whats the deal with everyone else that doesn't have a high affinity for a single hero.

Can we get Nome in here on this discussion, I kinda wanna hear what S2 has up their sleeve to deal with the Elephant in the room

Meeru

Banned
Swag just quit hon once dota 2 arrives. The art in hon is horribad, they rip off quotes from movies way too much, plus we get to beat on lol noobs. And crap man..I miss balanar, I miss huskar, I miss broodlord, I miss way too many heroes from dota

Hard part is trying to play with my future wife

Haly

For me it's a bit of fan loyalty to Icefrog and I want to play some of the DotA heroes again like Alleria and Naga.

Also Icefrog is better at hero design than all of S2 (sorry Nome :p)

@Empath
This is the kind of shit i'm talking about :\

The first passive is beyond terrible. Who the hell would bother targeting her with anything? her other skills aren't a big enough threat to make people want to disable her. If S2 wanted to give her a spell steal then give her an actual spell steal. Or better yet, allow her to case the shield on someone else.

Second skill is also very bad. It helps them much more than it hurts them. Again, the skill discourages the other team from attacking her... But so what? She has two skills dedicated to making her a less attractive target, but no skills to actually be a threat.

3rd skill is shell surf but terrible.

The ultimate... Man I don't even know. If I had an Empath on my team against Chronos or Madman or Warbeast, I'd concede at 15. It's a weaker Astrolabe that makes the enemy stronger if they get close? Percent of CURRENT HP? Are you fucking kidding me. You could make it max hp and it'd still be worthless in team fights.

Meeru

Banned
Can't wait till s2 goes bankrupt...tbh I never played any valve games recently (latest was half life 2) but pretty sure they can bring a much better dota than s2. S2 only seems concerned with making helgas and indiana jones

Crap man I need to just troll every social site I can bout s2

Haly

Lol why are you hating so hard?

delirium said:
Do we even know if that was the Empath they're making?
I hope to god it isn't, since it seems like a fan contribution.

Yet it's archived.

So in all likelihood they borrowed some ideas and hopefully made her a semi viable support hero.

Top Bottom