• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of Newerth |OT| Free-To-Play [PC /Mac /Linux]

IceMarker

Neckbeard said:
Don't think I can play five-strong anymore. Playing against arranged teams is just too much for me.
Oddly enough, NukeDukem and I played an MM 5v5 with pubs as our last game of the night
and won.

Finally got this during the $10 deal and can't wait to play this thing tomorrow!

Is it still an copy of the latest version of DotA to the dot in every aspect but different names or did it branch out with completely different heroes/balance after a certain version of DotA? If so does anyone know more or less the last DotA version it had most in common with?

Also it's been over 9000 years since I last played DotA so anyone got quick tips to make the transition from DOTA a bit easier? Are there something like 'renaming' mods to make the learning of names/items easier and are they legal or considered cheating in game?

Thanks in advance. DotA almost destroyed my college life so I can't wait to get back into this.

Meeru

Banned
OmnipotentO said:
Finally got this during the $10 deal and can't wait to play this thing tomorrow!

Is it still an copy of the latest version of DotA to the dot in every aspect but different names or did it branch out with completely different heroes/balance after a certain version of DotA? If so does anyone know more or less the last DotA version it had most in common with?

Also it's been over 9000 years since I last played DotA so anyone got quick tips to make the transition from DOTA a bit easier? Are there something like 'renaming' mods to make the learning of names/items easier and are they legal or considered cheating in game?

Thanks in advance. DotA almost destroyed my college life so I can't wait to get back into this.
It is not an exact copy as icefrog and valve copyrighted dota so s2 cannot make exact ports.

Better to not rename them..you wil get it down in no time..heck..I don't even know the hon names still for some items..and I still call power treads, bots, stygias, etc.

Here take this, its dangerous to go alone:
http://www.gamereplays.org/heroesof...e&name=heroes-of-newerth-dota-hero-comparison However, it is a bit outdated, as Jeriziah (aka Omniknight) is now exactly like Omniknight other than the nerfed repel (the cd is longer).

Pkaz01

The biggest difference from dota is not the heroes or items or anything its the pace. At times I feel like HoN is in fast forward mode. Takes a while to get used to.

Neckbeard

MrMister said:
Yes, NukeDukem has found a new friend in Pyromancer.

I also got my first Quad-Kill with Plague Riders ultimate.

Nice! haha. Seeing four "+245"s on the screen simultaneously makes all the shit in this game worth it.

But what I'm saying is that it's easier to be a pair or even a trio in TMM. If a team of 5 queues, they're likely going to get matched against another team of five. Often these teams are tryhards, pulling level 1 ganks, counterwarding etc. That level of play is just not fair against players who have less than 20 games under their belts.

mrbagdt

ive managed to almost completely pub my mmr up to 1650. not sure how much further i can keep going up as the increases get so much smaller now, 5 or 6 points a game. i think i have gotten a lot better in a general sense of the game, mainly with just more awareness of avoiding obvious ganks, watching the map and positioning my hero in the right places during normal gameplay. i still cant carry games like a lot of people can, i always find myself relying on having at least one person in the game that can get buff enough to end it for my team. i just find that if i can avoid feeding easy kills and focus on just winning my lane, im usually in pretty good shape.

bzm

Meeru said:
Its a nonscaling..horrible life steal.
Though i havent played tremble yet, vlads seems like it would be a core pickup for tremble (if not purely because with it and treads you and your minion can solo kong at lvl11)

mkenyon

Banned
Checking in here, somehow have missed this thread.

HoN name is Michalius, I also have my own mumble server. If folks want to get some games in tonight, I'd love to get down. Will be free from about 5:30-8 PST if anyone is interested.

Meeru

Banned
mkenyon said:
Checking in here, somehow have missed this thread.

HoN name is Michalius, I also have my own mumble server. If folks want to get some games in tonight, I'd love to get down. Will be free from about 5:30-8 PST if anyone is interested.
Bah I work..how about tmrw too?:p

Swag

GhostRidah said:
No, maybe that is in the new client? Have not uninstalled since beta days.
Me neither, but sometimes mine says Rage Quit. Maybe it only happens if you quit after finishing a game / recently disconnecting.

These are the worst games to lose: ones where you're winning and then they come back.

Our team dominates the first half; we're up 3:1 in hero kills. We're pushing relatively well while their Magebane counter-pushes the occasional tower. Long story short, their Magebane gets too farmed and we end up losing. Didn't help that I was sitting on 4K gold at the end thinking of what to build to counter the MB (I was Hammer).

http://replays.heroesofnewerth.com/match_replay.php?mid=35337975

Swag

Lone_Prodigy said:
These are the worst games to lose: ones where you're winning and then they come back.
Never play passive when you have advantage, squash them while you can! I hope this replay has lots of trash talking from advantage team, those are the best losses.

Meeru said:
It is not an exact copy as icefrog and valve copyrighted dota so s2 cannot make exact ports.

Better to not rename them..you wil get it down in no time..heck..I don't even know the hon names still for some items..and I still call power treads, bots, stygias, etc.

Here take this, its dangerous to go alone:
http://www.gamereplays.org/heroesof...e&name=heroes-of-newerth-dota-hero-comparison However, it is a bit outdated, as Jeriziah (aka Omniknight) is now exactly like Omniknight other than the nerfed repel (the cd is longer).
You are a gentleman and a scholar, kind sir.
Bookmark'd thanks.

bzm

Procarbine said:
Well done swag.

Sorry about the other night folks, I'm not meeru, can't carry all four of you :(

BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY:

http://reddithon.com/tournaments/anouncing-the-reddit-amateur-league-open/

We should do this, have until the 11th to sign up.

But how to pick the 5...

You ready to NEVER lose a lane swag? SB/Glac doesn't have shit on kraken/keeper.
Id play. Ive got two tests next week (wed/thurs) but i could prolly squeeze one game in each day depending on time.

If we wanna turn tryhard mode on though, we can start practicing trilanes and shit over the weekend (we're gonna run into it no doubt)
Edit: cant wait to get knocked out first round

kagete

ehh, If my brothers are playing then that means tryhards, smurfs, and legits are also playing. Noob Tourneys should have a maximum PSR and KDR range, plus a minimum 100 games played on that account. Ahh I dunno, too many ways to game a system.

I havent played in weeks! I heard broodmother is amazing nowadays because the summon is stronger than her and has a targeted ensnare.

edit: LOL the reddit competition has an 1850 PSR/MMR maximum! Too bad everyone in high tier has at least one alternate account nowadays...

Newest Patch Notes:

2.0.23 Patch Notes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Version 2.0.23
-------------
- Fixed the Zzz above creeps for player controlled units
- Vagabond Leader,Minotaur, and Catman Champion now no longer use abilities against Magic Immune units

== Items ==

- Token of Life duration lowered from 10 minutes to 7 minutes
* Kongor's respawn time is still 10 minutes

- Bastard Sword removed from the game
- Halberd removed from the game
- Fortified Bracelet renamed to Fortified Bracer
- Talisman of Exile renamed to Amulet of Exile
- Great Arcana renamed to Arcana

Assassin's Shroud
- Fixed a tiny bug where if you had a high enough attackspeed you can proc Shroud bonus damage more than once on the same Shroud state.
- Bastard Sword replaced with a Broadsword
- Recipe cost increased by 200

Brutalizer
- Old:
* Bolstering Armband, Halbred, 1150 Recipe
* +6 Str, +30 Damage, Bash
- New:
* Mighty Blade, Quickblade, 1100 Recipe
* +10 Str, +10 Agi, +20 Damage, Bash

Runed Axe
- Renamed to Runed Cleaver
- Bastard Sword replaced with a Broadsword
- Damage lowered from 65 to 55

Savage Mace
- Old:
* Halberd, Halberd, Slayer
- New:
* Warhammer, Warhammer, Slayer

Slayer
- Cost lowered from 2400 to 2200

== Heroes ==

- Added a new Agility hero: Nomad
- Added a new Alt Avatar: Nomaddin
- Added a new Alt Avatar: Rosie Engineer

Empath
- Essence Link fixed so it links correctly when the person she is inside is moving very quickly
- Made the detection if the target becomes invulnerable better

Engineer
- Push from Turret increased by ~20%
- Damage from Energy Field changed from % based to 28/58/88 per second to all units inside
- Tinker removed. Replaced with Spider Mines
- Spider Mines
* 7 second cooldown, 90/100/110/120 Manacost
* Activate to consume one charge to place a Spider Mine at your location. Up to 9 may be placed at one time, each dealing 150/200/250/300 Magic Damage.
* Up to 1/2/2/3 charges may be stored, refreshing every 30 seconds
* Spider mines are stealthed and appear when an enemy comes near them, chasing them until contact.

Fayde
- Fixed illusions from switching targets if the target becomes invulnerable
- Improved the server performance of her stances and illusions

Forsaken Archer
- Fixed an exploit with effects and Crippling Volley

Pollywog Priest
- Made the target animate properly after finishing Tongue Tied

Predator
- Made damage on Carnivorous be nonlethal
* Fixes Predator killing enemy units when he shouldn't be

Rampage
- Fixed Stampede's projectile going through invulnerability

Scout
- Fixed Electric Eye so that if you use Detonate on the Eye, then it will put Scout's Detonate ability on cooldown
- The silence will no longer hit mechanical units

Slither
- Altered the effects of Poison Spray to fix it shooting off in the wrong direction

Succubus
- Fixed the dual-red wings so it moves with the target if the target is pushed

Valkyrie
- Frost modifier priority changed to fix issues in a real game with her projectile being invisible

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
kagete said:
ehh, If my brothers are playing then that means tryhards, smurfs, and legits are also playing. Noob Tourneys should have a maximum PSR and KDR range, plus a minimum 100 games played on that account. Ahh I dunno, too many ways to game a system.

I havent played in weeks! I heard broodmother is amazing nowadays because the summon is stronger than her and has a targeted ensnare.

edit: LOL the reddit competition has an 1850 PSR/MMR maximum! Too bad everyone in high tier has at least one alternate account nowadays...

I haven't seen you or your bros around in weeks. What happened?

Kapura

Banned
item changes fffffuuuuuuu

I'm excited, though. These small simplifications are good, I think, in the long run. Also, basher buff (imo) fuckyeah.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Apparently all account and subaccounts are going to be screened by S2 from those entering, so to smurf the system people will either have to reset all their accounts or buy a new one, which is good for S2 so they don't care.

Either way I think we should play, it IS free after all. But yeah, we'll need the kagete crew if we want to be serious.

So they removed the 1400 sword, and replaced it with the 1200 one?

I only know items by their prices. :lol:

They kept the costs the same, except Runed Axe is cheaper.

kagete

Archie said:
I haven't seen you or your bros around in weeks. What happened?

Some family stuff, spring break for them, work piled up, and they're both suddenly addicted to spiral knights... which i find TERRIBLE... I'll definitely try to play again starting tonight. Wooo SPIDER MINES!

Top Bottom