• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of Newerth |OT| Free-To-Play [PC /Mac /Linux]

bzm

Moobabe said:
Turns out I've been playing elec wrong - prodex tells me he's solo mid?! Mind blown

Eh, while elec needs the levels and i think he works well in a solo lane, i dont like him solo mid. Brized did it well, but like no one else could pull it off. He's alright in a sidelane, and if youre not super gosu or whatever he can be kinda tricky to lane mid with (nerf to his shield hurt him a bit).

Regarding rampage, fuck that hero. Way too stronk

Regarding fayde, I dont think she has any role right now, lol. Really bad hero ever since they nerfed her straight into the ground (can thank h4nn1 for that one). While if youre good you can still pubstomp with her, she just isnt useful. At this point she needs a codex for her burst damage to be viable because her skillset is so mediocre.

Neckbeard

Meeru said:
you playing by yourself?

Sure was, haha.

bzm said:
Eh, while elec needs the levels and i think he works well in a solo lane, i dont like him solo mid. Brized did it well, but like no one else could pull it off. He's alright in a sidelane, and if youre not super gosu or whatever he can be kinda tricky to lane mid with (nerf to his shield hurt him a bit).

Regarding rampage, fuck that hero. Way too stronk

Regarding fayde, I dont think she has any role right now, lol. Really bad hero ever since they nerfed her straight into the ground (can thank h4nn1 for that one). While if youre good you can still pubstomp with her, she just isnt useful. At this point she needs a codex for her burst damage to be viable because her skillset is so mediocre.

Agree on all counts.

This game was actually SD, not AR:

Us: Keeper (me), Legionnaire, Zephyr, TB, Polly
Them: Pestilence, Moraxus, Rampage, Myrmidon, CD

An odd game: lots of stuns flying around but not a lot of DPS.

vocab

Moobabe said:
Turns out I've been playing elec wrong - prodex tells me he's solo mid?! Mind blown

He used to be god tier in mid, but they nerfed it hard. Free radiance was way too strong. Still you can spam the third skill in the lane for zero mana cost.

Also, don't pick fade. Worthless hero. Original Fayde was so broken, and then they made her useless. S2 even knows she is shit.

Dreavus

Moobabe said:

Yeah, I don't know how to play him "properly" either. All the good players say 1 point in grip, 1 point in discharge, and then max shield ASAP. Apparently it's good survivability and awesome damage if you can stay next to people.

But any time I've tried that build I'm just wishing for a longer disable. Even when I can get an early mana ring to spam shield properly. I need to see some replays of him in action I think. I guess that's only if you go middle?

Phandy

Having only recently started (relatively) I found the thing the affected me the most was my map awareness. Simply knowing where to be was a huge help, you:

- dont get ganked because you know your not safe and move back.
- subsequently die less = more money/xp.
- maximize your time in a lane for farm/xp.
- end up being in the right place for ganks and potentially get some assists/kills.
- know when your forest is safe to farm.
etc etc.

Just keep looking at the mini-map. All the time.
How long have you been playing MrMister? Sorry if I'm being obvious.

I get the feeling HoN needs a simple and precise way of telling people how to play. The tutorial covers the basic mechanics of controlling the game, but not how your actually supposed to play it.

Meeru

Banned
Phandy said:
Having only recently started (relatively) I found the thing the affected me the most was my map awareness. Simply knowing where to be was a huge help, you:

- dont get ganked because you know your not safe and move back.
- subsequently die less = more money/xp.
- maximize your time in a lane for farm/xp.
- end up being in the right place for ganks and potentially get some assists/kills.
- know when your forest is safe to farm.
etc etc.

Just keep looking at the mini-map. All the time.
How long have you been playing MrMister? Sorry if I'm being obvious.

I get the feeling HoN needs a simple and precise way of telling people how to play. The tutorial covers the basic mechanics of controlling the game, but not how your actually supposed to play it.
Yep..also knowing when its ok to farm and when u should help the team

meeru you should do level 1 kong more given how often you pick wildsoul. it' a fun way to initiate your pubstomps. All you need really is gauntlet, andro, and pharaoh. The downside is that if the opponents you're facing aren't retarded you'll get ganked. But given how uncoordinated teams are in tmm you'll have a high chance. It's never failed when I tried it with willing teammates. And since runes have been removed at 0:00 that certainly helps as well.

Neckbeard

spermatic cord said:
meeru you should do level 1 kong more given how often you pick wildsoul. it' a fun way to initiate your pubstomps. All you need really is gauntlet, andro, and pharaoh. The downside is that if the opponents you're facing aren't retarded you'll get ganked. But given how uncoordinated teams are in tmm you'll have a high chance. It's never failed when I tried it with willing teammates. And since runes have been removed at 0:00 that certainly helps as well.

Lich armor is a tremendous help as well.

Phandy

Meeru said:
Yep..also knowing when its ok to farm and when u should help the team

This drives me mad. I once played a game with this guy playing Magebane. He was farming the forest. The game was good and it went all the way to the end, lvl 20+ etc. The WHOLE game, and I am not joking, he was farming. His score until the very end was probably 0/4/0 - he wasnt feeding, but he spent the entire time in the forest and never moved. He didnt join a team fight until he literally couldnt get to the forest because of them attacking our base.

He never spoke a word, I always wanted to talk to him. I wanted to see what his plan really was, what he planned on doing after he finished farming, or whether he was just practicing his farm or something.
It was more confusing than anything, I wonder if he knew he was being totally useless - whats the point in farm if you don't use it until the game is already over.

Matll

I had the most amazing backdoor win today. We had no real carry except valkyrie and the enemy team had puppet and sw. At the 60min point we were getting owned pretty damn bad but we had earlier gotten 2 sets of raxes down.
We barely hold of their push (they got our rax and base towers). We would have lost the game next push so I came up with a backdoor plan which worked. We sneaked on to their forest and when we saw them away from their base valkyrie ultied and our whole team just ran to their shrine from the forest while invisible and owned that shrine.
And then came the mad :D

Feels good man. Feels good.

Phandy

Matll said:
I had the most amazing backdoor win today. We had no real carry except valkyrie and the enemy team had puppet and sw. At the 60min point we were getting owned pretty damn bad but we had earlier gotten 2 sets of raxes down.
We barely hold of their push (they got our rax and base towers). We would have lost the game next push so I came up with a backdoor plan which worked. We sneaked on to their forest and when we saw them away from their base valkyrie ultied and our whole team just ran to their shrine from the forest while invisible and owned that shrine.
And then came the mad :D

Feels good man. Feels good.

I never played DotA so for me backdooring seems like its really just a part of the game. But evertime I backdoor, I just feel so dirty. I feel like I'm cheating the game, it feels 'unfair'.
I heard its banned in some DotA, and competition play.

You guys all ok with backdooring?

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Phandy said:
I never played DotA so for me backdooring seems like its really just a part of the game. But evertime I backdoor, I just feel so dirty. I feel like I'm cheating the game, it feels 'unfair'.

I dislike it.

Meeru

Banned
Phandy said:

In dota icefrog actually gave tower massive hp generatino when there are no nearby creeps. But I think S2 feel like finishing the game is better

Kapura

Banned
Backdooring is a way to end stalemates. I recently lost a game because nobody on my team would help me backdoor. We were winning by two set of barracks, but my team was content to just let the other team counterpush all day long.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
So what are some of the best heroes to play while learning the game? Been playing Witch Slayer in no stats games and seem to be doing better than before, also for last hitting any tips or do I need to just keep practising and get the timing down?

bzm

Ikuu said:
So what are some of the best heroes to play while learning the game? Been playing Witch Slayer in no stats games and seem to be doing better than before, also for last hitting any tips or do I need to just keep practising and get the timing down?

Most support characters are pretty good to stat with, plague rider, accursed, witch slayer are all pretty easy. Strength heroes are good too since theyre harder to kill (shit like kraken, armaderp, ...).

And yeah, you just gotta practice last hits

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
MSIvy Slither is 3000 silver coins. Come the fuck on, S2.

Ikuu said:

Plague Rider is the easiest hero in the game. Fast, good nuke, near infinite mana and an ultimate that can single handedly win fights if casted correctly.

Starting items with him should be either monkey/(2) wards, (1) runes of the blight, (1) health potion, (2) minor totems. You will want to next get boots (and upgrade those to either Striders or Steamboots, although PR is so fast that I prefer Steamboots for the extra HP), keeping up wards and start saving for Astrolabe. If you are struggling, you might want to get a bracer (510g) for survivability.

Also, last hitting is just an art you have to spend time getting better at. I've played over 500 games and I am only slightly better than mediocre at last hitting. Some heroes are far better at last hitting than others. Swiftblade with an axe is easy as pie, whereas Glacius is fucking hard.

Neckbeard

Archie said:
MSIvy Slither is 3000 silver coins. Come the fuck on, S2.

Wow. Are coins still doubled for everyone else? I noticed mine were last night and snatched some up thinking it was bugged; didn't want to miss out.

Meeru said:

Is Puppet's ult Superior Magic? If Jer put the shield on BH you would've been toast.

Last hitting involves a lot of prediction too, especially in a non-solo lane. You have to predict whether someone else will attack at the same time and get your attack right before/after. It takes lots of practice. If you're a ranged babysitter just harass while your partner last-hits everything.

Kapura

Banned
3000 silver coins...

god dammit. I really, really hate this silver coins crap. If S2 is gonna keep doing this shit, I might as well play LoL with all of my university friends.

Neckbeard

Lone_Prodigy said:
Is Puppet's ult Superior Magic? If Jer put the shield on BH you would've been toast.

Last hitting involves a lot of prediction too, especially in a non-solo lane. You have to predict whether someone else will attack at the same time and get your attack right before/after. It takes lots of practice. If you're a ranged babysitter just harass while your partner last-hits everything.

A good measure is to watch the ranged creeps and time with them. Watch the amount of damage that occurs in between ranged shots and try to time it accordingly.

Kapura

Banned
MrMister said:
April Fools...
I honestly doubt this is an april fools joke. This premium skin is gonna be like the Badass announcer pack: rage-inducing. I'd put money on the slither price not being part of the april shenanigans.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
It's not a joke and it is fucking stupid. I don't mind paying a small premium with silver coins, but 3000 and 6800 are flat out insulting, considering the rate silver coins are actually earned.

Neckbeard

No offense to anyone here, but I honestly don't understand the rage over the price. No one is being forced to buy the skin... It's supposed to be expensive, otherwise every single person is running around with it.

Furthermore it adds incentive to purchase gold coins, thus generating revenue for a company who is churning out new content/updates.

Neckbeard said:
A good measure is to watch the ranged creeps and time with them. Watch the amount of damage that occurs in between ranged shots and try to time it accordingly.

I always mess up my last-hitting when the siege units are around. "lalala HEY WHERE DID THAT COME FROM FUUUUU". Multiple ranged creeps are also annoying.

Swag

Neckbeard said:
Furthermore it adds incentive to purchase gold coins, thus generating revenue for a company who is churning out new content/updates.
I'm sure they make a ton of money off account sales alone

Top Bottom