• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of Newerth |OT| Free-To-Play [PC /Mac /Linux]

bzm

Meeru said:
I'll admit, I don't like raw oyster, but the rest were great. Don't let the looks of food stop you from trying them! Also costed a total of $600 for the sashimi place (we ordered two of each)

Just came back from the spa/sauna place. What amazes me about Korea is how everything is within walking distance. Staying at an apartment complex, there are commercial stores, little restaurant shops, all within a couple footsteps away. I'm sure not all apartments are like this but it really is great. A 5 minute walk took us to the sauna place. And it is really cheap. It was 1,000 won to have access and go inside. There you can bathe in 3 different huge bath tubs, each with its own temperature. There's a sauna room, shower area, then a place where experienced men rub you vigorously with a wash cloth and scrape away all the dead skin. It costs 13,000 won for a basic service, which I did. It feels very refreshing afterwards and I think every person needs to do this. You can do this at home but its an amazing difference when a professional does this work for you.
stopped there.

really though, sounds pretty legit. hope you have fun

On the urging of one of my friends, I downloaded HoN for the week. I'm a really experienced LoL player, and I played casual DotA for a long time, but this is the hardest I've had getting into any of the games.

I played two practice games this morning, first one I picked Soulstealer (one of my mains from DotA), I did well for a while, but my team got rolled eventually. The thing I learned from this game is a.) it's hard to get away from champs once they get on you b.) losing money on deaths sucks c.) towers do shit to deter people.

Second game I rolled with my other DotA mainstay, Bloodseeker (hunter?), and that went much, much worse then the first game. Other champs really can just stun you for like 3-4 seconds at times... and you really can't do anything after that. I started jungling near the end, and that seemed to work pretty well for him, is that viable at the start of the game?

IceMarker

thestopsign said:
On the urging of one of my friends, I downloaded HoN for the week. I'm a really experienced LoL player, and I played casual DotA for a long time, but this is the hardest I've had getting into any of the games.

I played two practice games this morning, first one I picked Soulstealer (one of my mains from DotA), I did well for a while, but my team got rolled eventually. The thing I learned from this game is a.) it's hard to get away from champs once they get on you b.) losing money on deaths sucks c.) towers do shit to deter people.

Second game I rolled with my other DotA mainstay, Bloodseeker (hunter?), and that went much, much worse then the first game. Other champs really can just stun you for like 3-4 seconds at times... and you really can't do anything after that. I started jungling near the end, and that seemed to work pretty well for him, is that viable at the start of the game?
Every time you call a hero a champ it makes me die a little inside.

Soulstealer is somewhat of a tough hero to play and jungling late game with any hero is good if they need the farm. And yes certain hero team compositions tend to have great stun capabilities, staying with your team helps deter that. Towers still do enough damage in the laning phase to keep heroes off your back. Also, if you don't like losing money on death play Casual Mode.

delirium

thestopsign said:

Towers in Dota/HoN aren't really meant to protect you that much. The biggest way it does protect you is allow teammates to port to it to save you. Don't expect them to help when you unless you're like level 2-3.

Spookie

Do you know if S2 allow you to sell your account? Or at least give it away? I've played 2 games of this now and I've learned it'll never be my cup of tea. Seems a waste having an account when someone else can use it.

delirium

Spookie said:
Do you know if S2 allow you to sell your account? Or at least give it away? I've played 2 games of this now and I've learned it'll never be my cup of tea. Seems a waste having an account when someone else can use it.
Did you solo queue? That's like the worst thing you can do in this game.

vocab

thestopsign said:

The meta game has shifted since you played dota. Heroes like Bloodhunter are kind of useless simply because he cannot out carry most carries, he has no stun, and he has to go mid. Even if he goes mid, he has to dominate, or he becomes useless late game. Soulstealer is a tough hero to play imo. You need a shrunken head, and a portal key, and you need to outfarm the team because you are a squishy carry.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Just had my best game yet, after (probably) ruining so many GAF games it was nice to actually do well in one :p Any other heroes I should check out if I enjoy playing Maliken?

vocab said:
The meta game has shifted since you played dota. Heroes like Bloodhunter are kind of useless simply because he cannot out carry most carries, he has no stun, and he has to go mid. Even if he goes mid, he has to dominate, or he becomes useless late game. Soulstealer is a tough hero to play imo. You need a shrunken head, and a portal key, and you need to outfarm the team because you are a squishy carry.

Good to know. I only ever played DotA with my friends in LAN, so I never got a full team experience much, just the basics. Any recommendations on who I should start with hero-wise?

vocab

thestopsign said:
Good to know. I only ever played DotA with my friends in LAN, so I never got a full team experience much, just the basics. Any recommendations on who I should start with hero-wise?

Depends what kind play style you like.

Good heroes to learn with are Witch Slayer, Demented Shaman, Voodoo Jester. You don't need farm on any of these heroes, and you will be useful all game. They are support heroes, but they are really good in the lane. Just play safe. Don't push past your creep wave, always give your self breathing room to watch out for skill shot. Always carry a TP stone if you can, and don't push past the river without your team.

Ikuu said:
Just had my best game yet, after (probably) ruining so many GAF games it was nice to actually do well in one :p Any other heroes I should check out if I enjoy playing Maliken?

What do you like about Maliken?

NukeDukem

Banned
MrMister said:
Working tonight, be on around 11pm like usual.
Ho hum. After i come home from the daily grind, i will subject myself to HoN matchmaking, rage at teammates, concede at 15 minutes, then cry myself to sleep. softly.

Kodiak690

Neo Member
I'm about to try out HoN.. I play LoL and am lookign for some suggestions on champs to try out.. Can anyone suggest a few champs that are good for learning the game with?

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Kodiak690 said:
I'm about to try out HoN.. I play LoL and am lookign for some suggestions on champs to try out.. Can anyone suggest a few champs that are good for learning the game with?

:puke

Try Plague Rider he's easy mode.

Uchip

Banned
Archie said:
:puke

Try Plague Rider he's easy mode.

some of the HoN heroes are similar to LoL

Plague Rider = Brand
Sand Wraith = Nocturne
valkyrie = Nidalee(kind of)

either way, most important thing is to learn about denying creeps imo
as in force attacking allied minions to kill them and deny the other team xp

vocab

I would never recommend Sand Wraith to anyone who is beginning to learn Hon. He is an end game hero with almost zero early game presence. He needs constant baby sitting or he will feed. He needs to be farming all game. Once he has his first big item, he can show up to team fights, but most his game plan revolves around farming, and then hitting R when a team fight starts or hitting r to basically mop up a kills/assists, and return to farming. Very boring hero that only is fun to play when he's got ridiculous amount of farm.

Uchip

Banned
vocab said:
I would never recommend Sand Wraith to anyone who is beginning to learn Hon. He is an end game hero with almost zero early game presence. He needs constant baby sitting or he will feed. He needs to be farming all game. Once he has his first big item, he can show up to team fights, but most his game plan revolves around farming, and then hitting R when a team fight starts or hitting r to basically mop up a kills/assists, and return to farming. Very boring hero that only is fun to play when he's got ridiculous amount of farm.

I wasnt reccomending
just pointing out similarities

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
vocab said:
What do you like about Maliken?
Survivability, and I love Sword Throw and then using the Ult :p I've been trying Kraken also, but only really tried nostats and they tend to fall apart pretty quickly.

delirium

Ikuu said:
Survivability, and I love Sword Throw and then using the Ult :p I've been trying Kraken also, but only really tried nostats and they tend to fall apart pretty quickly.
Bubble's first skill (shell surf) is basically the same as Maliken's sword throw except it doesn't return.

IceMarker

Trolling casual mode TMM with GAF regulars is so fun... just won 7 out of 9 games. Also, I love Vindicator more and more, got a really good ReStone + Null Stone build going for him.

vocab

MrMister said:
Trolling casual mode TMM with GAF regulars is so fun... just won 7 out of 9 games. Also, I love Vindicator more and more, got a really good ReStone + Null Stone build going for him.

Watch 39722769

High level 6 steam boots + hellflower Vindicator

Also included is jungle Thunderbringer.

NukeDukem

Banned
delirium said:

1256725374835.gif

vocab

The random button in this game is fucking shit. Every time I random, the other team randoms an almost direct counter pick.

Meeru

Banned
MrMister said:
I'm about to pay S2 Games $20 USD to end my misery. Otherwise I'm solo queueing from now on, because apparently unless we're playing with Meeru it's a 50/50 to lose. I'm 1150 now AGAIN.

EDIT: You know what, fuck it, if I dip below 1100 I'm uninstalling this piece of shit.
Dangit no it hasnt even been a week yet since I left korea =_=;

Well as of now we have been doing a lot more walking and riding subways. We went to Star Avenue; amazing place, its like a market, shopping mall, food court all in one. Bought some couple tshirts to wear for the studio wedding photos. Very tired but once I get some energy I'll upload more pics.

I was reflecting on my experience with this game, and I realized that team fights are much shorter and have a much smaller tolerance for mistakes. You can't really "spam" anything. It really caught me off guard.

Not that this is good or bad, just that it's different. Might help anyone else trying to ease themselves into the game.

mrbagdt

thestopsign said:

im not super pro at this game, but i have managed to mostly pub my way up to 1670-1690 mmr. i cant play carry-style heroes at the higher mmr range- it becomes more and more difficult in my opinion, but here is my two cents.

the game will be hard on you until you know all of the heroes. when you dont realize what your opponents in lane can do (they have two stuns, a slow, a good harass skill) you will find yourself in bad positions regularly without even realizing it. if you are facing a combo of witchslayer and voodoo jester, for example, you might try wandering up to creeps to get a deny or a last hit. as soon as you are in range of them, one will stun you, they will do autoattacks for a moment, the other will stun you, they will continue auto attacks, and before you know it, you have given them first blood. knowing when to play passive and when to play aggressive makes all the difference. knowing that they have a double range lane means you will get harassed a lot if you are melee (so get a iron shield). these are all things that you will learn over time, and if you DONT learn it over time, you will become increasingly frustrated. you dont learn how to win at chess by playing games over and over, you learn how to get good at chess by learning to recognize openings and knowing correct responses, etc.

towers do a lot of damage in normal mode, in casual mode not so much (so diving in casual mode is really common). if you are getting dived on at the tower, it is because your opponent is taking a calculated risk (unless they are crazy) that they have a better chance of killing you then you do of killing them, even with the tower attacking them. this might typically happen if you are low health, they are full health, and you are trying to hide behind the creep wave right by the tower. they know that your health is low enough that if they can stun/disable you and land a few more auto attacks, they will get a kill before you can respond. learn when it is good to hide in the forest beside your towers is important (if they cant see you they wont stun you) and be extra careful when you are wandering around with low health. if you are always getting harassed down to low health in lane, you are probably doing something wrong.

its hard to make recommendations to people of good heroes to start learning with in my opinion. now that there are guides for heroes and all that stuff in game, things should be a lot easier for starting out. just keep trying to learn as much as you can. the game is extremely deep and learning to play well takes a ton of time, but honestly, i think playing well in this game is more rewarding then in any other multiplayer games i have ever played.

Meeru

Banned
mrbagdt said:
im not super pro at this game, but i have managed to mostly pub my way up to 1670-1690 mmr. i cant play carry-style heroes at the higher mmr range- it becomes more and more difficult in my opinion, but here is my two cents.

the game will be hard on you until you know all of the heroes. when you dont realize what your opponents in lane can do (they have two stuns, a slow, a good harass skill) you will find yourself in bad positions regularly without even realizing it. if you are facing a combo of witchslayer and voodoo jester, for example, you might try wandering up to creeps to get a deny or a last hit. as soon as you are in range of them, one will stun you, they will do autoattacks for a moment, the other will stun you, they will continue auto attacks, and before you know it, you have given them first blood. knowing when to play passive and when to play aggressive makes all the difference. knowing that they have a double range lane means you will get harassed a lot if you are melee (so get a iron shield). these are all things that you will learn over time, and if you DONT learn it over time, you will become increasingly frustrated. you dont learn how to win at chess by playing games over and over, you learn how to get good at chess by learning to recognize openings and knowing correct responses, etc.

towers do a lot of damage in normal mode, in casual mode not so much (so diving in casual mode is really common). if you are getting dived on at the tower, it is because your opponent is taking a calculated risk (unless they are crazy) that they have a better chance of killing you then you do of killing them, even with the tower attacking them. this might typically happen if you are low health, they are full health, and you are trying to hide behind the creep wave right by the tower. they know that your health is low enough that if they can stun/disable you and land a few more auto attacks, they will get a kill before you can respond. learn when it is good to hide in the forest beside your towers is important (if they cant see you they wont stun you) and be extra careful when you are wandering around with low health. if you are always getting harassed down to low health in lane, you are probably doing something wrong.

its hard to make recommendations to people of good heroes to start learning with in my opinion. now that there are guides for heroes and all that stuff in game, things should be a lot easier for starting out. just keep trying to learn as much as you can. the game is extremely deep and learning to play well takes a ton of time, but honestly, i think playing well in this game is more rewarding then in any other multiplayer games i have ever played.
Well said.

I'm starting to play heroes I don't usually play. Tried Tundra and Rampage the other day. Won one and lost the other, but kept my KDR pretty even in both games. In the Tundra game, the Keeper went "carry build" by maxing regen and putting zero points in wards and camouflage. And he built Helm. Yep.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I also hover around 1600-1700 and for that I'm thankful. I've had a taste of 1700-1800 thanks to queueing with kagate and his bros a few months earlier and it was the worst experience with dota/hon I've ever had.

kagete

Halycon said:
I also hover around 1600-1700 and for that I'm thankful. I've had a taste of 1700-1800 thanks to queueing with kagate and his bros a few months earlier and it was the worst experience with dota/hon I've ever had.

:( I have this problem right now where my PSR is too high and I will absolutely never ever pay $20 to have my stats reset. My little brother gave me his new account while he's vacationing for 2 months and my stress levels have been much lower and I've been enjoying playing solo much more often now.

Archie said:
Hey guys can you suggest a good headset for around $40? Playing HoN without one is just gimping myself. -_-

These are the two I was debating between so far:

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Labs-...=12R9XQVUH1PRK

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Labs-...=12R9XQVUH1PRK

If there is something better for that price range I'd be grateful.

DUDE I've been asking you to buy a headset since 6 months ago!!!! Is money an issue? If so then you can step down to something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001E45XT4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

My brothers use this since they prefer speakers:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00009EHJV/?tag=neogaf0e-20

delirium

My attitude in this game is never give a fuck about anything. Sure I'll give it a go, but I'm not going to go 1000% at it. It makes playing this game 100x more relax than tryharding every game.

mrbagdt

Procarbine said:
And the worst part about it is that these things are so hard to communicate, and you almost have to learn it on your own.
i agree, they are really difficult things to communicate. its one thing to teach someone about where are good places to place wards, but its another to learn that you need to keep an eye on the minimap to watch for incoming ganks from those wards. i hear people griefing all the time about 'you didnt call mia' but the fact is in high level games, you dont hear them screaming in vents MIA BOT MIA BOT, they say things on a very casual level because everyone usually has some idea what is going on in the lanes around them. if you are playing mid, it is in your best interest to keep an eye on the other two lanes because in the current meta game featuring lots of roaming, just calling every single mia gets overwhelming. at high levels, not only are mid-players watching for missing heroes, they are also watching that guy on the other side of the river to see if he starts doing things that show he is preparing to gank. if he is playing unusually close to the creep wave and you know he doesnt suck, he is probably trying to bait you to come and try to initiate on him so you will be out of position. that concept is either learned by watching replays or watching pro players, or you learn it by being caught in that situation over and over and over.

edit:
the more i think, the more i come up with small, little details that i do now that may not have been obvious. here is another thing that is 'obvious' when you think about it- the placement of you and your lanemate when you are standing in lane. this may not seem that important, but depending on who you are facing, it can be a pretty big deal. if you are facing hellbringer, you should know that hellbringer has a dot that links up between several targets. when i am playing as hellbringer i try to only cast it when the enemy heroes are close to each other and i might get lucky, hitting them both with the dot. if the two opposing heroes dont know any better, they may stand close together occasionally, and as soon as i see that opportunity i am going to cast my spell. the same goes for things like slithers poison spray, all of pebbles spells, graveyard from witchslayer, fissure from behemoth... if you are not consciously thinking about your positioning, you will wind up getting caught occasionally (if you have an opponent that IS thinking about YOUR positioning). this sort of play is obvious at a low level- i know if i am laned with someone who doesnt know what they are doing if they keep standing beside me and i have to keep trying to move away from them. things like that seem sort of silly i guess, but they DO matter.

the one positive thing i can say about all this stuff is that at low levels, bad habits like i am describing are VERY prevalent (on your team and on your opponents team). you can see them occuring all the time. and if you take care of making other players pay for their bad habits (and keep from doing those same habits yourself) you WILL improve in your play and you WILL win more games.

if you play 'normal' heroes (not carries) you can increase your psr over time. this is the road i took from moving from the 1400-1450 range into the 1650-1700 range- i played heroes like soul reaper, slither, hellbringer, pharaoh, KOTF... heroes that dont have extremely difficult skillsets, are not terribly item dependent and have their place in the game throughout the entire game. a normal hero can sit in the lane, get creep kills and creep denies, and slowly work up a lead against their opponent through smart harassing and avoiding getting ganked. sometimes, 'normal' heroes can wind up winning and carrying a game for their team if you wind up dominating your lane and play well.

if you play 'carry' heroes like meeru, (and you are really good at playing those carry heroes) you can increase your PSR much much faster. playing a carry is pretty damn hard though, and is probably the most hit/miss path to take up.

if you play 'support' heroes, i feel you will have a difficult path to increasing your psr. support heroes (andro, ws, voodoo, nymph, myrm) have to be played well to remain effective. you have to know which target is the correct target to stun in every situation and you have to know when is the best time to initiate and gank onto someone. even if you are great at keeping up lots of wards and all that jazz, if the players you are playing with are not good at keeping an eye on the map then whats the point? if your mid cant understand the concept of rune control, what good is it doing? i have found when i play straight support with a pub team that doesnt seem all that organized, i get really angry and frustrated with my play.

now that i am in the 1650-1700 range, i swap between 'normal' and 'support' based on what my teammates pick. i know if we have zero good stuns, somebody like hellbringer or witchslayer can be useful. if we have enough stuns, then id much rather play somebody like soul reaper, slither or pharaoh that can hold their own in the lane and assist when needed. and we already have all of the normal type of heroes, ill try picking the semi carry players like forsaken archer, corrupted, moon queen, that sorta thing. i dont feel comfortable yet in the reign of true carries like swift, madman, magebane, etc.

bzm

vocab said:
The random button in this game is fucking shit. Every time I random, the other team randoms an almost direct counter pick.
Random button? I think you mean the Ophelia button.

Top Bottom