• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of Newerth |OT| Free-To-Play [PC /Mac /Linux]

Kapura

Banned
MrMister said:
EDIT: I've lost all faith in HoN-GAF.
Mr, you don't always have to be playing with GAF members, or in full parties. Hell, you might even want to try public games if you're concerned about your matchmaking PSRs.

bzm

Meeru said:
MOTHER OF PEANUT BUTTER I AM OPTIONED FOR TODAY!!!!
what are you even trying to say
does this have something to do with that peanut butter you were talking about buying last week?

Macattk15

Bleh. I'm having weird HoN problems ... or just internet problems in general.

When I accept a group invite HoN freezes and I have to Task Manager kill it. I try to accept your invite MrMister and it locks.

Then again my internet browser keeps locking up too.

Kapura said:
Mr, you don't always have to be playing with GAF members, or in full parties. Hell, you might even want to try public games if you're concerned about your matchmaking PSRs.

Play Casual AP. You wait 3 minutes for a game but you can mess around with heroes you don't play and it's not nearly as rage-inducing if you lose. Then again waiting 3 minutes to get a DC/remake is pretty rage-inducing too...

Mac, sounds like a virus/malware.

vocab

NukeDukem said:
also there are better games to play atm, like portal 2.
im waiting for dota 2 myself.

I wish I could say portal 2 is a good game, but for me, it isn't. I played for 2 hours and got completely bored of it. I regret buying it.

While I will play dota2, I have no high expectations. Source netcode sucks.

Until then, I will battle it out in the 1700 bracket with some try hards.

IceMarker

vocab said:
I wish I could say portal 2 is a good game, but for me, it isn't. I played for 2 hours and got completely bored of it. I regret buying it.

While I will play dota2, I have no high expectations. Source netcode sucks. .
I'm sorry... what!?

Uchip

Banned
how are you still playing portal 2?
game took like 5 hours

and lol @ saying source netcode sucks
its just FPS in general if you are playing internationally
games like HoN and DotA are playable from most countrys

Meeru

Banned
vocab said:

While I will play dota2, I have no high expectations. Source netcode sucks.

Until then, I will battle it out in the 1700 bracket with some try hards.
So why u dodge us

Bento

I just played a game in which everyone on the opposing team rage quit one after the other, pretty crazy :I Also really enjoying playing as Accursed, he's not really that special but he's a pretty straightforward character and yet pretty useful in supporting the more deadly team members. Would like to move to greener pastures eventually but he works just fine at my low skill level.

vocab

MrMister said:
I'm sorry... what!?

It's horrible. Compared to GoldSrc, and Id tech 3, it's kinda poor.

Uchip said:
how are you still playing portal 2?
game took like 5 hours

and lol @ saying source netcode sucks
its just FPS in general if you are playing internationally
games like HoN and DotA are playable from most countrys

No. It's bad even within your country. Dota with Battle net delay is kinda unplayable after playing Hon for a while. I know they a making an extra effort with dota 2, but man. Every online game with the source engine has severe problems. TF2 is the only game where Valve made the effort to optimize the netcode on the source engine.

IceMarker

Sorry about the lag issues I had last night, I lost the 'sweet spot' I have with my wireless router. Spending the morning trying to find it again.

Neckbeard

MrMr I would suggest not queuing with a full party. It means you're going to be matched against a team of 5 which usually means they're going to be a bit more coordinated, regardless of PSR.

The last game I played with you was with 3 other gaffers and another person (not sure who) and in that game there were no wards until 12 minutes, and even then there were probably two more placed until we conceded at 22. Compare that with the other team who was counter-warding and ganking very successfully and of course we're going to melt.

Try queuing with 1-2 other Gaffers and you'll find it's a lot easier. When I play with a friend as a pair with 3 random pubs, I win 80% of my games. When I queue with 3-4 other Gaffers, I lose 80%. It's all about who your opponents are.

Neckbeard said:
MrMr I would suggest not queuing with a full party. It means you're going to be matched against a team of 5 which usually means they're going to be a bit more coordinated, regardless of PSR.

The last game I played with you was with 3 other gaffers and another person (not sure who) and in that game there were no wards until 12 minutes, and even then there were probably two more placed until we conceded at 22. Compare that with the other team who was counter-warding and ganking very successfully and of course we're going to melt.

Try queuing with 1-2 other Gaffers and you'll find it's a lot easier. When I play with a friend as a pair with 3 random pubs, I win 80% of my games. When I queue with 3-4 other Gaffers, I lose 80%. It's all about who your opponents are.

I win 80% of my games if I queue with Meeru.

IceMarker

Got called into work today, be back tonight around 11pm, same with tomorrow, next day I have off is Friday... next completely free day I have will probably be Sunday... bah I'm never getting to 1400 at this rate by the end of the week.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
I need to play more valk, went pretty electric with my arrows this afternoon.

MrMr, the thing you need to work on the most is knowing what your team needs and then playing it. If your team needs support, gank, carry, w/e, understand the voids and fill them. When you select a hero, make sure you know what's expected of you and how to fulfill those expectations, and how to prioritize your needs.

When you pick ds, wards > everything. No, we don't need a faster astrolabe, we need wards.

bzm

Neckbeard said:

pretty much this, also dont let pro play soulstealer

Neckbeard

Also:
2M4pT.png

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Conversely, 11 days of easy coins if you're good.

...which I'm not so I'll be playing LoL with my bros for the next week and a half.

delirium

Archie said:
Conversely, 11 days of easy coins if you're good.

...which I'm not so I'll be playing LoL with my bros for the next week and a half.
Or you could play with some GAF and stomp to get some coins.

Matll

Yesterday I rage quitted for the first time. This game...

Now that HoN is free maybe I'll just smurf this weekend.

Sooo...

I looked at the website to get an idea of the underlying game mechanics, but I couldn't find an FAQ section right off of the bat.

I looking for stuff like "attack modifiers" and stuff. Apparently you can't stack lifesteal AND other effects (say, the electric hammer's passive?). Is that right?

vocab

FlightOfHeaven said:
Sooo...

I looked at the website to get an idea of the underlying game mechanics, but I couldn't find an FAQ section right off of the bat.

I looking for stuff like "attack modifiers" and stuff. Apparently you can't stack lifesteal AND other effects (say, the electric hammer's passive?). Is that right?

That's right. It was a major change to the game because people AND TURRETS would just stack modifiers and become a god. You can still buy two modifiers, but you have to choose which one to use as a primary modifier. You can still stack riftshards on someone like Gladiator even though it's not a modifier. You can stack a modifier on top of a debuff aura like Demonic and frost field. You usually just want one modifier, and then get damage/survivability/Shrunken head,etc whatever you want.

bzm

FlightOfHeaven said:
Sooo...

charged hammer isnt an orb. Basically, hungry spirit, elder parasite, whispering helm, symbol of rage, frosburn [and icebrand], frostwolfs skull, harkons blade, and shieldbreaker dont stack. Abyssal skull gives lifesteal, but is not an orb and can be used with any of the above. Nullfire blade is also not an "attack modifier" but its what i think is called an "exclusive modifier". Itll work with the above items, but all exclusive modifier really means is dont get it on magebane as it doesnt stack with other mana drains

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Are coins tied together between main/sub accounts?

As in: if I earn coins on a sub, would they be applied to my main?

EDIT: Oddly enough the HoN news page has switched to answer this very question...

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
That's pretty awesome, curious to see what the new interface will look like. I wonder if there's a good way to get the word out on GAF about this, maybe a thread title update?

Top Bottom