• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT| Pretty sure that Abathur is AFK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milly79

It's like the game is brand new and everyone forgot how to play since the patch. Have been losing a ton more, I'd even venture to say 75% of the games. Just people feeding left and right and forgetting all about teamplay.

Quesa

For some reason I always feel like I have a huge impact on games I play as the butcher, but my hero/siege damage/xp contribution never seem to reflect that...

kirblar

It's like the game is brand new and everyone forgot how to play since the patch. Have been losing a ton more, I'd even venture to say 75% of the games. Just people feeding left and right and forgetting all about teamplay.
Butchers charging backlines and dying immediately is rage-inducing.

Butcher isn't sustained damage, it's bursty- makes sense that it wouldn't show up as much.

Zafir

I've been generally having better luck since the patch. That said I've also not solo queued much this week out of total fear of the rubbish rotation. Mostly duo with a bit of trio.

danielcw

they really need to add to the looking to party feature an option to say looking for AI, QM or HL game.

Agreed!

There should be some more features to find people to play with,
like filter by languages spoken, playstyle, etc.

But I guess most people will fined other people to play with on websites or among their real life pears.

I will pull the replays! It's so bad.

mLQVxp.gif

Which reminds me, is there a good software to analyze replays SC2gears for Starcraft 2?

Maybe your mouse glitched for one click (happend to me with my old mouse on some mousepads), or for some reason a different command was triggered.

Slightly related
I am still not sure when the game decides to make a character to move in to attack.
Sometimes if I don't click my hero will not engage, and sometime it will automaticly move a few steps to be able to reach an enemy, even if I did not use attack move.
The game has different hotkeys for stop and hold, just like Starcraft 2, so maybe it has something to do with that.

Milly79

Butchers charging backlines and dying immediately is rage-inducing.

Butcher isn't sustained damage, it's bursty- makes sense that it wouldn't show up as much.

Butcher is a probably whenever he is in my games, but oddly enough he's not 100%. It's everyone at this point. They have zero idea how to play the new map. They just deathmatch.

Kioshen

No one probably cares about this small stuff, but I've been taking a look at the hero difficulties lately after the change. These are the ones that I know have changed:

Azmodan: Easy -> Medium
Falstad: Hard -> Medium
Illidan: Very Hard -> Hard
Johanna: Easy -> Medium
Kael'Thas: Easy -> Hard
Kerrigan: Medium -> Hard
Sylvanas: Easy -> Medium
Tassadar: Very Hard -> Medium
Tychus: Hard -> Medium

I can't remember if Brightwing, Muradin and Zeratul were different from what they show now.

Thanks I was curious about those changes.

Ketch

Butcher is a probably whenever he is in my games, but oddly enough he's not 100%. It's everyone at this point. They have zero idea how to play the new map. They just deathmatch.

I was thinking about it for awhile after those loses, I think it's probably better to leave one to soak in each lane for the first phase and either defend or attack the immortals with the other 3 without feeding to much. the first immortal basically does nothing and you could probably get the xp advantage and maybe a wall in the meantime if your left uncontested the entire duration.

kirblar

I was thinking about it for awhile after those loses, I think it's probably better to leave one to soak in each lane for the first phase and either defend or attack the immortals with the other 3 without feeding to much. the first immortal basically does nothing and you could probably get the xp advantage and maybe a wall in the meantime if your left uncontested the entire duration.
This is where I'm at- if they go all 5 to the middle? punish them for it.

Milly79

One thing I've noticed that does work (never did it myself, since we're always losing), but is to split push if you win the Immortal.

I remember losing like the first 10 Tombs I played too, but this is just so straightforward easy objectively and people can't seem to grasp it.

http://stevivor.com/2015/07/interview-blizzards-chris-sigaty-and-alan-dabiri-on-heroes-of-the-storm/

They're thinking about adding a thumbs up/down commendation/report system to the game. Closed beta would've been a good time for this.

mLQVxp.gif

I'm not trying to sayI played anything but shitty yesterday, but you tell me this isn't some bullshit fucked up pathing. I literally had to make a gif to share how fucking bad it is with everyone, that's how bad it is.

LIKE SERIOUSLY! You tell me what that is. Just watching the gif pisses me off.

The pathing in this game is kinda bad, especially in all of the smaller knooks and crannies.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
RE: Pathing

It's as I said before, the game would greatly benefit from direction-based input like D3 rather than this SC2 pathing. That way if you click on a spot your character can't go, it won't select a random spot on the other side of the wall or object and make a path around to the spot you never clicked, leading to problems like seen in that gif, and would instead just make your character run into the wall. It is such a more sensible and clean method of control.

I would also greatly appreciate a force move button like D3 for those moments where you have a lot of minions around and you just want to run in specific spots among them without attacking them and without having to click basically off the screen to avoid doing so.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
You would need some amount of AI pathing. Lost Viking would not work very well under D3's system, unless there's something I'm misunderstanding.

One of the things this genre inherited from its RTS roots is the ability to do something in one area while having your eyes in another. Even if that's diminished in HOTS its nonetheless a valuable skill and makes the mechanics deeper in terms of execution.

danielcw

Did Blizzard change the timing for daily quests in Europe?

Usually around this time I get a new daily quest.
Usually it is like 3am CE(S)T

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
I think I am done with this game. My inability to get into the 20s is making me not want to play.

Also the rating system is complete garbage. I am always stuck healing or tanking because nobody else will and even if I get some ridiculous support score, drag my team towards victory, I still lose 80-100 points. Punish the Nova that went 5 and 20 not me.

How you play should mean more than the outcome. If I heal for 100k in a loss I should maybe not lose any ranking at all.

The other stupid thing is that I went like 25 and 2 with Jaina, lead in hero and siege damage, won, and only got 23 ranking points.

Fuck you blizzard. I've been 34 forever...

Also you should only lose rank if you lose 2 games in a row.

Haly

Then save it for shift-clicks. :p

I wouldn't mind having the option to toggle one or the other but I don't feel like the system you proposed should be the default. It would just make bad/new players worse than they already are. And would excuse Blizzard from fixing their shit.

danielcw

How you play should mean more than the outcome. If I heal for 100k in a loss I should maybe not lose any ranking at all.

If any rules like that were in place, players might not play for victory, but try to exploit the rules. Instead of helping the team, they might focus on looking good in statistics.

Haly

I remember the days of stats padding in HoN.

Good times.

I think I am done with this game. My inability to get into the 20s is making me not want to play.

Also the rating system is complete garbage. I am always stuck healing or tanking because nobody else will and even if I get some ridiculous support score, drag my team towards victory, I still lose 80-100 points. Punish the Nova that went 5 and 20 not me.

The other stupid thing is that I went like 25 and 2 with Jaina, lead in hero and siege damage, won, and only got 23 ranking points.

Fuck you blizzard. I've been 34 forever...

Also you should only lose rank if you lose 2 games in a row.

Honestly if you're sitting there citing K/D ratios and healing numbers as evidence for good or bad individual play you probably are ranked appropriately.

Hint: They mean absolutely nothing.

You may have had 2 deaths as Jaina, but maybe, as an example, you didn't Iceblock at the right time in a fight at level 22, got killed, and that led to your team losing the game. It's just one death, but it matters far more than any other.

If you really want to improve and start winning more, go watch professional games and videos from pro players. Tempo Storm generates a lot of content if you need somewhere to start. Watch twitch streams of pro players. What you'll learn from doing this isn't how to get higher healing numbers as malf, but how to better play the game; i.e. how to position yourself, play the map objectives, and work with your team better.

Haly

As a stray observation, it absolutely pays to get better in the game in QM before you head into HL. There is something of a smurf detection or calibration phase in place. I'm not sure how long it lasts. I was seeing rewards of up to 450 points per win with only 100 per loss, gradually tapering down the more games I played. I went on a tear (mostly thanks to last patch's Anub) and got to Rank 6 off of a mere 45 games.

So the system is either gradually pushing me out of "calibration" or my internal HL MMR is catching up to my internal QM MMR. Either way, being highly ranked in QM counts and/or winning your earliest games consistently counts for a lot.

For people looking to get into HL, I would advise against rushing head first into it and hone your skills in QM first if you want to minimize frustration over the long term.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Surprising to read you say that. Cause I remember this post vividly :)

(I'm pretty bad at playing Kael myself so this post gave me a chuckle)
Of course, no regrets - pugs are 99% of the time trash, despite if they're playing Kael or Li Li.

mLQVxp.gif

I'm not trying to sayI played anything but shitty yesterday, but you tell me this isn't some bullshit fucked up pathing. I literally had to make a gif to share how fucking bad it is with everyone, that's how bad it is.

LIKE SERIOUSLY! You tell me what that is. Just watching the gif pisses me off.

Maybe you clicked the minimap, its so HUGE

I don't really enjoy playing Rehgar since his talents were redesigned and reshuffled, particularly his level 4 and level 7 talent selections. Rehgar used to be my go-to support hero, was the first hero I got to 10, first master skin I unlocked and now I just don't use him anymore.

Thankfully I still have my shitty Uther (all stuns, nukes and right clicks) to fall back on.

Complistic

Got a descent strategy for battlefields as johanna. If both teams are purely making it a dps race on who can kill their immortal quickest and all 5 of them aren't attacking your immortal, you can harass as jo and be just annoying enough to give your other teammates the edge.

Since, as jo you aren't doing any damage to the immortal anyway.

Tenuous comparison time: The Butcher reminds me of Huskar, it's the #YOLO diving and fighting on the edge. With Huskar it's being low health for right click madness, with The Butcher it's using Butcher's Brand and Fresh Meat to have sustain once you've charged in. It's mostly the diving and getting blown up that makes me think of Huskar.

When used smartly Ruthless Onslaught is sooo good. Catching an out of position squishy or someone almost dead trying to get away. But when a Butcher just dives 5 with it and puts you into a 4v5 situation, it's fucking awful. Right now it's mostly that.

Both of his ults seem pretty good. Furnace Blast is awesome if you can time it going off just as you barrel into a teamfight and Lamb to the Slaughter is so good at locking down a target. I like both but I think I like the chain ult more. You could do some awful things with Stitches and The Butcher.

His sustain with Fresh Meat is pretty ridiculous.

Raven77

Anybody have any codes they want to trade, etc? I have several things including a Raynor code, Zeratul code, and the Golden Tiger Mount code. Just PM me if you want to try and work something out.

Ketch

Tenuous comparison time: The Butcher reminds me of Huskar, it's the #YOLO diving and fighting on the edge. With Huskar it's being low health for right click madness, with The Butcher it's using Butcher's Brand and Fresh Meat to have sustain once you've charged in. It's mostly the diving and getting blown up that makes me think of Huskar.

Try enrage at 16

Enraged is what made me think of Huskar too. Blood Frenzy is pretty awesome if you're not dying a whole lot. There is a pretty noticeable attack speed boost with a full stack of meat. Although that feels like a greedy talent pick like Gathering Power can be on some heroes (Kael/Jaina/Nova).

Ketch

Enraged is what made me think of Huskar too. Blood Frenzy is pretty awesome if you're not dying a whole lot. There is a pretty noticeable attack speed boost with a full stack of meat. Although that feels like a greedy talent pick like Gathering Power can be on some heroes (Kael/Jaina/Nova).

yea. I think it's just mostly based on whether or not they have stuns, which most of the time they do. you get more attack speed increase from enraged anyway, just need to be dropped below half hp to get it.

tylerf

Sonya has been such an annoying free week hero. People constantly spinning into multiple enemies and dying. They think she's Johanna.

zoukka

yea. I think it's just mostly based on whether or not they have stuns, which most of the time they do. you get more attack speed increase from enraged anyway, just need to be dropped below half hp to get it.

Nah you don't lose all stacks when you go for abattoir (which you do in every build anyways). The 35% attack speed buff is ridiculously op with the brand too. It's a skill they probably nerf at some point.

-Digits-

When do they announce next weeks sales?

Weekly Sale Items for July 7 - 14, 2015
Raynor -- Sale Price: 1.99 EUR, 1.49 GBP
Commander Raynor Skin -- Sale Price: 3.69 EUR, 2.7 GBP
Pajamathur Abathur Skin -- Sale Price: 4.99 EUR, 3.69 GBP

Perfect timing on the Abathur skin, I just got him with gold and I'm enjoying him a lot.

I can see why so many Butcher's just feed since that's exactly what I did my first two public matches. I turned them around before the matches ended but The Butcher is high risk/reward and you gotta fuck up taking risks to learn. Bot matches are all well and good to screw around with builds but the real test is just diving into an actual match and getting your ass handed to you. What looks like a good opportunity quickly turns into a bad one but you're already charging in. Because stuns and polymorphs galore just shut down your survivability, because your team melts away from a fight and throw you under the bus like you're a solo queue QM warrior. Mostly I died because of greedy, dumb dives on what look like sure-fire kills and I wasn't paying attention to who you couldn't see on the map. Until it was too fucking late. Over and over.

Here's the build I mostly use.
1) Victuals
4) Flail Axe
7) Final Assault
10) Furnace Blast
13) Crave Flesh
16) Enraged
20) Fires of Hell

4, 7 and 16 feel like my fixed talents. Cheapshot is great but I love the extended reach of the initial nuke/slow that you get from Flail Axe. It makes it harder for people to escape and you can tag people behind fortifications with it. Flail Axe has helped me secure a lot of kills.

With Final Assault you can basically get into a lot of trouble or fun because you charge someone at the very edge of the cast radius, which is huuuuge, immediately trigger Furnace Blast and have it go off shortly after you stun your target. It's great for diving a team, cos the nuke immediately goes off and then your team is there to follow up because they pinged and stuff.

Enraged is so, so good. It's so unbelievably good. People just don't know that they should respect it and Butcher's Brand yet. Late game I turned 1v2 and 1v3 (2xFurnace Blast) fights from lost teamfights around because of Enraged and Butcher's Brand.

The Butcher's fun because he's high risk/reward and crazy good sustain if he doesn't get cc'd for days. I think he'll be a good pub stomp hero but maybe not so good in higher level play because of how vulnerable his kit is to CC. First melee assassin I enjoy playing as.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom