• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT| Pretty sure that Abathur is AFK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alur

It would be great if just one time we could get a finals (in a meaningful tournament) that wasn't Tempo Storm vs C9 Maelstrom.

EDIT: At least this game has gotten interesting.

EDITx2: THROWBOYS. Second Tempo Storm loss in a month.

Alur

Too much poke once it got late. They fed Azmodan stacks to full and just couldn't finish a kill after that without getting wrecked. They couldn't really engage them.

What's changed about Malf? All of the sudden I'm enjoying playing as him. Moreso than other supports.

Went to 24 last game. Started dying more than I would have liked to.

Are you getting full meat stack before re-engaging or are you just going ham? Enraged and Butcher's Brand should keep you alive in most dire fights, it's not going to help you 1v5 or withstand the entire teams focus but it should buy you time in fights 1v2 and even 1v3.

Quesa

What's changed about Malf? All of the sudden I'm enjoying playing as him. Moreso than other supports.

Are you getting full meat stack before re-engaging or are you just going ham? Enraged and Butcher's Brand should keep you alive in most dire fights, it's not going to help you 1v5 or withstand the entire teams focus but it should buy you time in fights 1v2 and even 1v3.

The person I enrage either dies right after or escapes. And yeah I should stop initiating with charge

Alur

Looking bad for Tempo Storm.

EDIT: Wow, it was like the opposite of last game. One team has a clear advantage and then loses at the end.

Had 1 game today with my girl Jiana.

Oh man i love her burst!!

Told the team what to do at the final stretch where both cores were vulnerable, they had boss at our bottom base destroying the last fort. Before they got there i advised our team to get the top boss, which we did REally quickly.

So their team was on bot and mid trying to push us, we triple killed butcher, sylvanas and raynor.
Go bot where they were riding the boss's tail and double kill murkey and muradin.
it was just me and hammer left. Their core went down to 10% with murky killing the boss...

I rode in like a boss and bursts it to a GG. FElt so damn good i made the right call and owned that team. So good. Soooo gooooood.

EDIT: But i wish i had a boss mount though :((

Finaika

Had 1 game today with my girl Jiana.

Oh man i love her burst!!

Told the team what to do at the final stretch where both cores were vulnerable, they had boss at our bottom base destroying the last fort. Before they got there i advised our team to get the top boss, which we did REally quickly.

So their team was on bot and mid trying to push us, we triple killed butcher, sylvanas and raynor.
Go bot where they were riding the boss's tail and double kill murkey and muradin.
it was just me and hammer left. Their core went down to 10% with murky killing the boss...

I rode in like a boss and bursts it to a GG. FElt so damn good i made the right call and owned that team. So good. Soooo gooooood.

EDIT: But i wish i had a boss mount though :((

I love her burst too.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
They buffed malfurion? Daaaamn

zoukka

If your targets are escaping, I would suggest Flail Axe since it increase the reach of the slow. It has an incredibly low CD, 4 seconds.

Nah if your enemy is escaping it is because you got stunned/rooted, the regular axe is more than enough to secure 1v1 kills.

Eric WK

do we know yet if the treasure goblins are gonna stick around after EC, or no?

The language that they've used when talking about it would indicate that the goblin won't stick around. It does sound like we can expect similar quests for future events, though.

Quesa

The language that they've used when talking about it would indicate that the goblin won't stick around. It does sound like we can expect similar quests for future events, though.

It's a fun thing to keep people away from alt-tabbing for the first couple minutes of the game. I hope they keep it.

patchday

Well the only folks paying attention to the goblin might be the guy with the quest. Most of other teammates seem to be afk at beginning. Not always true ofc

[edit] LOL, first match I did there was a goblin and whole team killed it before I could move

Complistic

the goblin should stay, but it should just become a standard daily quest. Maybe have it's gold reward upped to 200 or something.

patchday

Man 12k gold saved. So many heroes I still want-

Johanna (Badly want)
Lost vikings
Murky
Butcher
Thrall

Oh snap! More importantly, I've noticed lately I've been getting 800g and 600g quests left & right now. I mean literally all week I've had these popup. Right now I have both of those active actually.

time to party!

anigif_enhanced-buzz-4127-1401988378-4.gif

kirblar

The problem with Zeratul in SQ HL- he's too reliant on your opponents not being morons who can't get past the first grade.

Complistic

The problem with Zeratul in SQ HL- he's too reliant on your opponents not being morons who can't get past the first grade.

This must be why the pros use him frequently then?

Obviously if you run at anyone who's played the game for more than a day when they're just laning all alone, they're probably going to notice you. This is why you engage when they're already engaging something else and not paying attention to you.

kirblar

This must be why the pros use him frequently then?

Obviously if you run at anyone who's played the game for more than a day when they're just laning all alone, they're probably going to notice you. This is why you engage when they're already engaging something else and not paying attention to you.
That's not the issue- it's teamfights later where if your allies are incapable of staying alive, you're useless in a way that a Jaina is not, beceause she can murdify someone with her burst- Zeratul needs to pick off stragglers.

He's insane, but he's very reminiscent of the issue with Tanks for me - you can't playmake at low levels, and playmaking at low levels involves just unloading tons of damage at once without dying because of how strong the healing is.

Complistic

This is true. He does need a team that's useful, or he's useless.

But i figure, if my team already can't stay alive, then it doesn't really matter who i pick anyway.

Alur

How do you play Murky? I am planning to buy him but not sure

1) Block or Bribe
4) Living the Dream (occasionally Bigger Slime)
7) Compressed Air (Slime Advantage if you went Bigger Slime)
10) Octograb
13) Bubble Machine (til you get used to him). After that, go Wrath of Cod or if you went Slime talents go Continuous Slime.
16) Rejuvenating Bubble (if you are super uncomfortable with him). Slimy Pufferfish 100% of the time otherwise.
20) ...And A Shark Too if you went Pufferfish. Rewind if you went Slime.

Murky is a hero who is meant to die. You're gonna die. You will die pretty regularly when applying Octograb in a team fight, for example. The point of Murky is that he gets more or less "free" deaths as a resource. Your job is to make sure you use this resource to gain an advantage. Feeding as Murky is bad. Getting killed as Murky while taking out an enemy who counts as a full death? Well worth it. Dying a time or two to stall an objective so your team can win a team fight? Worth it. Dying as the enemy team chases you around the map and your team grabs mercs/objectives? Worth it. Dying as the enemy tunnel visions on you while the rest of your team kills them without a struggle? Worth it. etc etc. If you die and gain no advantage (no secured kills, objective, mercs, what have you), however, that was a bad death and you're just feeding experience to the enemy. It's worth noting most games you'll have a bit of this too, particularly early on and even more so when you face certain heroes like Raynor/Tychus/Nova who seem to love to tunnel Murky and either burst quickly or have fast auto attacks so that your bubble isn't as useful unless you're near your wall).

When you first start playing him, you want to take the bubble talent at 13 for sure (and possibly at 16 as well) until you get used to how to engage and disengage and not feed. Once you grasp that and feel comfortable, drop the 16 bubble talent for Slimy Pufferfish. If you're in a game and feeling really comfortable, start dropping the 13 bubble talent for Wrath of Cod (or the slime equivalent if you went slime). Once you add those two pufferfish/slime talents at 13/16 in your damage and threat level to the enemy goes through the roof.

Harass your lane from 1-10. You are pretty weak but you can clear your wave quickly with Pufferfish + Slime and some auto attacks. Pufferfish will zone the enemy out unless it is a strong waveclear hero. When objectives spawn, remember to move your egg closer to said objective but far enough back that it won't be easily seen where you are returning from - thankfully almost every map has a lot of options for this.

Once you reach ten and get Octograb, drop your Pufferfish under an enemy and hit R to grab them. Ping the shit out of yourself so your teammates hopefully follow up - it might not hurt to explain how it works ahead of time if you are in a lower MMR bracket. You ideally want to target squishies as you can nearly kill them by yourself even at level 10. Don't lose sight of how strong you are for objectives. The ability to die and come back nearly immediately is amazing on maps like Cursed Hollow, Tomb of the Spider Queen and Dragon Shire. It's annoying to attempt to secure tribute/gem turn in/a shrine with Murky constantly there whittling away at your health.

By level 16 if you go the Pufferfish build you can actually kill squishies with Octograb combos by yourself. Even easier at 20 with the ult upgrade. As long as you hit the right target and combo it with your W you should secure a kill all on your own at that point with minimal effort. If you went Slime build you just want to harass and harass and harass some more. Slime em, auto attack em, try to zone em into your Pufferfish, etc.

Really, the TL;DR of this whole thing is harass, harass, harass, octograb delete, harass, harass harass regardless of how you build him.

PS: You are doing the right thing. MURKY THE SEA GOD!!!!!

Ketch

You're in luck, Kael'thas positioning guide from Tempo Storm! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSFeyGQuW9M

finally watched this video. The best tip out of the whole thing I think is when he says it's more important to not die then to do damage. pretty basic tip that is true for a lot (all?) assassins/heroes in the game, but is especially true for KT and it's why I think gathering power is better then the improved stun at 4. It just does so much damage, that you could literally do nothing the whole game and then land one flamestrike and win the game.

Get GP, and as long as you're not feeding, and don't miss literally every flamestrike you win. You don't need to phoenix, or stun, or auto attack anything, just one or two flamestrikes per fight with full stacks and there's literally nothing they can do. It's so much damage.

Even if you do die and lose all your stacks, flamethrower + ignite is so power that you'll get them all back quickly as long as you have decent positioning. You might need to land 3 flame strikes this time though! But they'll be ramping up in power as you gather stacks DURING the fight.

You might say you need decent teammates to help protect you, and it's too unreliable in solo q for that reason. But what is the improved range/speed on stun going to do if you have unreliable teammates? You're trading a talent that will win the game for a talent that might help you (or a teammate) not die in a team fight maybe.

Chaos17

I played Azmodan today, I didn't totaly suck on him compared to when I played Kael Thalas. So I might buy him in the futur at some point. :)

Anyone got tips on playing Abathur? Where do you usually stick yourself during the game? What's the best use for the toxic nests? What sort of talents do you pick?

Milly79

Abathur to start: "This is gonna be hard"
We had: Abathur, Li Li, Rhegar, Stitches and Sgt. Hammer.
DCs midway into match, when we're winning.
STILL won, somehow with a DC'd Aba.

"HEAL MEEEEEE" GG. Fuck, I guess I died anyway. :lol :(

Anyone got tips on playing Abathur? Where do you usually stick yourself during the game? What's the best use for the toxic nests? What sort of talents do you pick?

I've played a ton of Abathur. My favorite hero by far.

1) Place mines where they can provide vision. In fog is especially nice. The damage from them is less meaningful an the vision. You can also throw the mines directly near enemy towers to waste tower ammunition.

2) There are a few talent builds I use, but generally, I would focus o talents that improve Stab and Needle Burst. The talent that increases attack speed of the Symbiote target is generally good too. Sometimes I will pick up Mule to repair buildings. Both of his Heroic Talents are usable but I prefer the Monstrosity.

3) I usually start by keeping Abathur right near our front-most gate. I will often move him out closer so that his body can soak XP in a lane while I cast Symbiote in another lane, effectively allowing me to soak XP in two lanes at once. You need to be very aware of the opposing team's heroes though, it is so easy for them to kill you if you don't keep track of them.

bizzle

Neo Member
Pretty much. The soak is still there but the usefulness otherwise got rekt. The death timers being brought in line hurt a lot now with all the other changes. A bit too much at once.
I thought this at first but the more I play them post-patch, and with a new build, I'm finding them viable if not a bit over the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom