• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT| Pretty sure that Abathur is AFK

Status
Not open for further replies.

aka_bueno

I'd wait on Kerrigan.

I love Sonya, even though most consider her underpowered. She's less meaty than the tankier warriors, but she can still take a beating, and has ways to keep her health up. Her non-reliance on mana also gives her great sustain without having to Hearth back. With Wrath of the Berserker, she get a 40% dmg boost which she can maintain almost indefinitely if played right, so she packs quite a punch too. With the right talents, she can solo bosses too. She's not for everyone, so i'd suggest trying her out during her free week first

Rhegar is a great support. Good healing, and his wolf form is really great (good for chasing and escaping without getting knocked out of your mount)

Tassadar is an assassin-support hybrid, with his AoE dmg spell and his shield. You just have to cast the shield before the dmg lands. He doesn't replace a healer, though. I quite like him

Hearth often and be aggressive with your mana since you can just Z back. Polymorph is great for shutting down melee assassins that try to engage (illidan butcher etc). The tier1 talent to reduce Z cooldown is nice, as is the shield granting Z. Double pixie dust (esp with 50% speed boost or half ability dmg) is cool

I think I'll pick up Sonya and Tass then, both 4k so I should be able to earn enough gold for both within the next couple days... and then my gold earning dries up cause I'll hit Player Level 40 haha

Alur

Losing the big gains can be rough but if you're the type who isn't afraid to spend money on a starter bundle or the occasional new hero, the dailies (plus the free 700g a week from treasure goblin) can keep you sustained post account leveling. Plus leveling free heroes to 5 for the bonus gold.

There's sort of this point where you realize you either have all the heroes you want or you have already acquired so many heroes that the gold just kind of sits and accumulates. This may come a couple months in, naturally, but it really has gotten tons better since Alpha due to all the additional heroes adding gold + event gold + them semi-regularly giving extra gold or boosts at certain account and hero levels.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
3KlEg4A.jpg

hmm what next? Butcher or Zeebo for the skin I guess

Alur

are the daily quests the same or does everybody just really like assassins in QM

Like all games with classes, everyone wants to DPS and no one wants the responsibility of tanking or healing. Then another segment will play tank or heals but only as damage.

When MMO lyfe encroaches on MOBA lyfe.

Celegus

Like all games with classes, everyone wants to DPS and no one wants the responsibility of tanking or healing. Then another segment will play tank or heals but only as damage.

I do typically like healing / support types, but none of the supports in this have really clicked with me in this game. Johanna is great though.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
such a good day today. played a FUCKLOAD, got my 2 levels 10s, got my vikings master, and got some wins on murky to cap it. Good times, totally into this again. also rank 27 now in HL, hopefully im out of the nub trap

edit: looking at hotslogs (I still dont totally understand it), all those guys I only played to level 5 for the gold are fucking my stats majorly. Like my good characters are all 50%ish, 60%ish (and Vikings with 76% lol), then I got a bunch of 12%s and shit :(

You're not. 25-24 is where the starting MMR is- you get ALL the rank beginners.

oh yeah? well...well... kirby is stupid, what u think about dat? :(

kirblar

such a good day today. played a FUCKLOAD, got my 2 levels 10s, got my vikings master, and got some wins on murky to cap it. Good times, totally into this again. also rank 27 now in HL, hopefully im out of the nub trap

edit: looking at hotslogs (I still dont totally understand it), all those guys I only played to level 5 for the gold are fucking my stats majorly. Like my good characters are all 50%ish, 60%ish (and Vikings with 76% lol), then I got a bunch of 12%s and shit :(

Dr. Buni

Hearth often and be aggressive with your mana since you can just Z back. Polymorph is great for shutting down melee assassins that try to engage (illidan butcher etc). The tier1 talent to reduce Z cooldown is nice, as is the shield granting Z. Double pixie dust (esp with 50% speed boost or half ability dmg) is cool
Thanks for the tips. Gonna put them to practice now :)

I can't play damage dealers to save my life. Healing, tanking and doing other fun things like taking down towers are my things.

Alur

Yep everything goes there if you played against people. That's why way back when in Alpha and early Beta I always did my talent gated games vs AI til I was sure I had a good feel for the range and skill shots and wouldn't be dead weight.

Hotdogs is like a cold cup of water splashed on your face to wake you up when you thought 'random hero x' was one of your best and it turns out you can't play them for shit.

Well to be clear it all depends on how you got there. If you've gotten there in less than 40-50 games and have a positive record you're fine. If you are in the negative you're probably still with new and bad players.

Easiest way is to check hotdogs. If you're not at least mid platinum it'll be bad and if you are less than diamond ranking towards the top will be impossible until you reach that level.

Rhaknar

I only have about 31 HL games (14W 17L I think, something like that) and hotslogs says I'm bronze >_>

I wonder if Overwatch will be different

It classifies its heroes as Tank/Offense/Defense/Support

Supports seem to be very mobile in Overwatch and I'll be honest with you playing Sunflower in PvZ:GW was awful but Scientist was the dopest shit in the game.

If they give you good incentives and rewards for playing your class properly and reward winning games in a meaningful way, I think it'll be alright as long as it's fun.

I think HotS kind of fucked up with how supports work but that's a beaten topic.

Alur

I only have about 31 HL games (14W 17L I think, something like that) and hotslogs says I'm bronze >_>

Are all of your games uploaded? You shouldn't be bronze with that record unless you lost a ton at the start. All depends on the order you win in during the placement matches.

Rhaknar

Are all of your games uploaded? You shouldn't be bronze with that record unless you lost a ton at the start. All depends on the order you win in during the placement matches.

I did lose a ton at the start, I said it here and its why I was bitching about afkers, trolls, etc some days ago

Alur

Surprised he waited this long to respond. The question is what they'll do now I guess. How they gonna hit dat trait boys?

EDIT: McIntyre going old school BM Zera on Kappa Wolves. Good stuff.

So after some testing, Getting the Odin Nuke+Length upgrade on Tychus at 20 is better than Nexus Frenzy(20%+ Range and attack speed). You can level a whole fort with the Odin upgrade, while you can only take out a couple of towers with the nexus frenzy upgrade. Althought it does upgrade his range by 1 and gives him 1.20 attacks per second, it's not really worth it.

Drake

How's the community in this game, say compared to DOTA 2? Am I gonna get yelled at if I don't know what I'm doing?

How's the community in this game, say compared to DOTA 2? Am I gonna get yelled at if I don't know what I'm doing?

Probably only in hero league

But in Quick Matches it's fine. I mean, no more abhorrent than other communities when it does happen. This game is alot easier to play though(Thus less people getting snappy)

The great thing about this game is that it doesn't take very long to figure out what you're doing

Less toxic overall though, yes. When each game lasts ~20 minutes instead of 45, there's a lot less anger being shed over time wasted losing because, well, less of it was wasted.

Alur

Much more friendly than most every online game I've played. There are always trolls but Blizzard gives you several options to mute/avoid them and appears to be actively banning repeat offenders off of player reports.

GAF folks/thread is pretty great and can help you out. B.net ID list in the OP to find friends and there's also a HOTS GAF mumble you can use with other GAFers or your own friends.

And like they said, much easier to get into - particularly with prior moba experience. Keep your positioning and mechanical skill and forget about last hitting, deadset lane assignments, and all that. It's team team team after level 10.

mac says he may stream later, i'll be asleep, if someone's around when he streams pop in there and figure out what the fuck happened with Bobby and Tazza and Vortex in general and post it here

I nominate Ketch

Alur

mac says he may stream later, i'll be asleep, if someone's around when he streams pop in there and figure out what the fuck happened with Bobby and Tazza and Vortex in general and post it here

I nominate Ketch

Was gonna ask about Bobby, forgot about Tazza.

danielcw

kirb, how does MMR work?
http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/projects/trueskill/details.aspx

I went from 84% with Vikings earlier to 80% on hotslogs after losing 2 games and winning 3... whut? im bad at math

So you were at 84%
Then you played 5 more games, of which you won 3. That is 60%, which is way less than 84%.
That means you number is going to lower from 84% towards 60%.
If you want to stay at 84%, you have to win 6 games per loss.
So out of those 5 games, you wouldn't have been allowed to lose one game

Hotdogs is like a cold cup of water splashed on your face to wake you up when you thought 'random hero x' was one of your best and it turns out you can't play them for shit.
What if you suck with your first hero on a high MMR. You will lose games and your MMR will lower. Then when you switch heroes, you will be on a lower MMR, and have an easier time, therefore a higher win percentage.

There are so many other factors to take into account, such as team compositions, enemy MMR, your mood, etc. The matchmaking trying to give you an even fight, is basicly constantly messing with your statistics.
So how many games would one have to play with one hero, that your win percentage actually means something?

Ketch

I nominate Ketch

Sorry boys I'm drunk again. Is it depressing that I've only got internet people share this with? I'll check back later.

Alur

What if you suck with your first hero on a high MMR. You will lose games and your MMR will lower. Then when you switch heroes, you will be on a lower MMR, and have an easier time, therefore a higher win percentage.

It doesn't work like that though. Once you've got your 100+ games in your MMR hardly moves (decent gains still at 100 but declining rapidly as you go). I get 5-15 for a win and the same for a loss in diamond. I have to lose on average 10 games in a row just to drop 100 MMR and win 10 games in a row to gain 100 MMR. It's that way at every level.

If you play Thrall at Diamond (2800 for example) and lose a lot, you'd have to lose in the neighborhood of 20 games just to get down to being in the vicinity of Platinum. Even then, you're only 200 MMR different and you'd still be getting matched with a lot of the same MMR people.

As you go up the ladder a small number like 200 MMR definitely means more and more, but we're talking folks in the 3300+ range having huge skill gaps from those who are 3700 or 4000 or what have you. The 200 MMR separating a 2600 Platinum player from a 2800 Diamond player isn't really much of a skill gap, though.

There are so many other factors to take into account, such as team compositions, enemy MMR, your mood, etc. The matchmaking trying to give you an even fight, is basicly constantly messing with your statistics.
So how many games would one have to play with one hero, that your win percentage actually means something?

This is true. There is much to take into account. If you run Thrall on a CC heavy free week or a week with only one true support it's probably not going to go well, for example. That is part of what MMR is, though. If you aren't smart enough to realize it's a bad idea to run a melee hero with no heals into a CC heavy comp, you kind of deserved that L and the MMR loss.

Ultimately, all this evens out though and your real skill is found. Regardless of comps, mood, etc. By 100 games both the actual game and hotdogs know pretty close to where your skill lies. You may improve as some people have post 100 (davemo moved from silver/gold to diamond, etc), but the climb is way uphill after that. It's part of why their Hero League ranking system sucks so bad unless you go on a tear right at the start of your HL career. Once you are "placed" you are kind of stuck without tons of persistence.

As for how many games on a hero, I'd venture the legitimate number is 20 or 25. By that point you've put in enough work to know how the hero works, find a build you like and make whatever impact you can make.

kirblar

Watching KOTS replays- Zev blowing up Cognitive by snap-drafting Li Li when their opponent's only stun was KT's was quite hilarious.

Maledict

Watching KOTS replays- Zev blowing up Cognitive by snap-drafting Li Li when their opponent's only stun was KT's was quite hilarious.

We had a game like this last night. Our tank was drafting in the final spot, and was going to go Johanna as usual, and then notified the only stun the enemy team had was on Kael. Immediately switched to ETC and absolutely wrecked faces with dance from level 10 onwards.

Leoric has downsides!

Zafir

You may get the occasional yell, but it's no where near as bad as DOTA 2, or Smite in my experience. I've never played LoL but I imagine that too, I've heard you can get banned in LoL for playing outside of the meta...

This is true. There is much to take into account. If you run Thrall on a CC heavy free week or a week with only one true support it's probably not going to go well, for example. That is part of what MMR is, though. If you aren't smart enough to realize it's a bad idea to run a melee hero with no heals into a CC heavy comp, you kind of deserved that L and the MMR loss.

Ultimately, all this evens out though and your real skill is found. Regardless of comps, mood, etc. By 100 games both the actual game and hotdogs know pretty close to where your skill lies. You may improve as some people have post 100 (davemo moved from silver/gold to diamond, etc), but the climb is way uphill after that. It's part of why their Hero League ranking system sucks so bad unless you go on a tear right at the start of your HL career. Once you are "placed" you are kind of stuck without tons of persistence.

As for how many games on a hero, I'd venture the legitimate number is 20 or 25. By that point you've put in enough work to know how the hero works, find a build you like and make whatever impact you can make.
I feel like mmr needs to forget the past a bit more. I'm not sure how you'd go about doing that mind you.

I suppose the thing is, since it does work, like I have managed to climb from Gold to Diamond myself even if it took me months to do so, there's the whole if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Dr. Buni

I had no problems with the community so far. The few occasions someone said something to me was because I truly messed up (and they weren't rude or anything, just questioned what exactly what I was doing in that place at that time). So far the experience have been a lot more chill and healthy compared to both Dota 2 and League of Legends.

Llyranor

Did Thrall get nerfed? I had a 100% winrate with him during his last free week. Love his sustain. And his Sundering is amazing.

aka_bueno

Did Thrall get nerfed? I had a 100% winrate with him during his last free week. Love his sustain. And his Sundering is amazing.

It really isn't if you like the hero.

I love Thrall, he's fun to play. Seems pretty decent to me, I prefer melee everything though. Ranged is for wussies! :p

No but seriously, Thrall is cool. I say get him if you've tried him out and liked him. If we're going by HL standards, then everyone outside of like 10-12 heroes aren't preferred...

Alur

I feel like mmr needs to forget the past a bit more. I'm not sure how you'd go about doing that mind you.

I suppose the thing is, since it does work, like I have managed to climb from Gold to Diamond myself even if it took me months to do so, there's the whole if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Well hotslogs is attempting/has attempted to do just that with their rolling window, now, but I haven't really kept up with anyone else's MMR to see how it's went and I myself don't play enough on one single account for it to do much.

I would like to see that, though.

But.. Thrall!

Get him if you've tried him and you like him. It's your gold.

The downside is he's melee with no real escape and melee has a definite skill tax in this game (like most games), so YMMV on the results.

If we're going by HL standards, then everyone outside of like 10-12 heroes aren't preferred...

This is true but IMO people should also recognize where their strengths lie and not just blind pick a KT because it's strong even if they are terrible at it.

Much better to play that Valla or Tychus or Falstad you are gangbusters at (provided it makes sense in the comp) than to play the KT, Zagara, or Jaina that you feed on (and whom are going to be picked early anyway).

Some classes don't have a whole lot of decent variety available versus the power of the top heroes in that class (warriors are very top heavy), but in most cases regardless of the chat qq in the draft I'd imagine the majority of people would rather you play the hero that you have a 60% winrate with than try to pigeonhole into the one you have a 43% winrate with provided it isn't countered and makes sense in the comp.

Rhaknar

is it me or is xp in HL lower than QM? I feel like if I want to level a hero its much better through QM, even if I lose

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom