• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT| Pretty sure that Abathur is AFK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaos17

This must be a curse when I duo Queue :
Friend take warrior => double team warrior
Me take take support => double team support
Me (support) +Friend (warrior) double warrior and double support

ok... gotta take assassins then -.-'

edit : if anyone want to party (EU) add me > Chaos17#2146

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Yoshi, this is an intervention.
We, your fellow gaffers, told Blizzard to disable real money transactions for you only.
It's for your own good.
FUNO, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Twookie

I love how Johanna has animations for everything, including real hearthstone animations, and she sheaths her shield before she uses her mount and stuff. really nice

Milly79

What does that even mean, why do you think so, and why do you think he wasn't sappy all along?!

Because he is a bully!

How much playtime in Hearthstone do you guys think is it gonna take to get the mount?

Um, well I'm pretty terrible at it. Offline wins count too. It was somewhat of a struggle for me to win with basic decks, so I dropped some cash on it, but that doesn't magically make you win either. It was a bit easier when I started using a Druid deck. Anyway, it took me around 40~ online wins, then leveling every deck aside from the Shaman to 10 to get my 100 wins. That was over the span of 2-3 days playing maybe 5 hours total a day. Hopefully you have better luck if you go for it.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Yesterday I had a Uther who died 5 times in the first 10 minutes

He told me that I didn't understad Uther since the idea of the character was TO DIE.
While that is excessive dying, if your team isn't very good at not getting hit, it is a good idea for you to block hits for them (hopefully you are building tanky) and eventually if someone is going to die, be the first to die for them so you can spam heals. I had a game where the enemy focused me every time (because I was the only support?) and my heal spamming led us to win the rest of the teamfight and not have to B out at the end. This happened like 4 times and we dominated the match. It was hilarious.

Double

Because he is a bully!
No doubt.

Um, well I'm pretty terrible at it. Offline wins count too. It was somewhat of a struggle for me to win with basic decks, so I dropped some cash on it, but that doesn't magically make you win either. It was a bit easier when I started using a Druid deck. Anyway, it took me around 40~ online wins, then leveling every deck aside from the Shaman to 10 to get my 100 wins. That was over the span of 2-3 days playing maybe 5 hours total a day. Hopefully you have better luck if you go for it.
I only tried it for a tiny bit and still have a vague interest in it, but I really don't need another time killer. 15 hours sound doable I guess... or I might rather just wait for the carpet to go on sale :>

How much playtime in Hearthstone do you guys think is it gonna take to get the mount?

It'll take a long time. You'll spend the first few hours learning the game and unlocking basic cards. Then you'll need to build decks with those cards and win 100 games against other people. You'll come up against powerful decks and probably lose more than half your games. In fact, I'd say you'd be lucky to win one in three games on average. It'll take a while.

Um, well I'm pretty terrible at it. Offline wins count too.

I don't think they do. The blog post yesterday mentioned that the wins have to be in play mode.

Dice

Don't fall for it. Hearthstone is a terrible experience the whole way. Better to drop $10 on the magic carpet than play to 100 wins in Hearthstone.

Twookie

The game has finally been released and you know what that means! ;))

aded3a7c4026412baf7b34f150b67d89.png

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

-Digits-

I just met an agry Russian who wanted to report me for soaking xp. I think. He did a whole lot of pinging, a whole lot of Russian words and there was 'noob' and 'report' buried in there somewhere.

Don't fall for it. Hearthstone is a terrible experience the whole way. Better to drop $10 on the magic carpet than play to 100 wins in Hearthstone.

While I strongly disagree that Hearthstone is terrible, I feel this is still sound advice. It's a lot less painful to just pay $10 and buy a mount than it is to 'farm' Hearthstone for the cardback mount. Unless of course you end up enjoying Hearthstone.

Ragnaroz

I can vouch for this. If you haven't been playing since the beta and have all the OP cards, you're just gonna get raped every game. And in Hearthstone, if you lose you get NO progression(except for a bit of xp, but after lvl 10 it's pointless).

Dice

While I strongly disagree that Hearthstone is terrible, I feel this is still sound advice. It's a lot less painful to just pay $10 and buy a mount than it is to 'farm' Hearthstone for the cardback mount. Unless of course you end up enjoying Hearthstone.
Jumping into Hearthstone is kind of like jumping into competitive market trading. It can work out... in theory.... if you love reading about your options and strategies for hundreds of hours... and would like to spend hundreds more investing into developing those options before you are stable in any sense at all.

Zafir

Well, it's not terrible when you finally get to the stage where you can build some good decks and not rely on the inferior basic cards.

Sadly, Hearthstone isn't that kind to new players. I started playing it last Juneish, which wasn't that long after the official launch of the game, and I felt totally behind then. I ended up just spending a bit of money on packs so I could at least build a cheap zoo deck to play with. By the time I quit in October, I was still missing most of the cards(all the legendary's I'd gotten in packs were useless) and so I could only really play about 4 decks, two of which weren't even complete and I had to sub in cards because I didn't have the legendaries. I didn't feel disadvantaged by that much, but it meant I couldn't really tune decks towards the meta that much, and I also got really bored of the few decks I could play. I wanted to play more but the grind is too real.

Kioshen

Man, I need to learn to be more patient. I keep overextending because I want to make up for the lack of output coming from the new players in my team. I was especially bad with Sylvanas tonight. However, I played amazing with Zagara.

I did enjoy partying up with fellow GAFfers, though! Thanks guys!

Was great playing with you too. Sorry for being so bad with azmodan but i don't think he fits my playstyle very much. If I check my hotslog I should stick with support and warriors :(.

luffeN

This must be a curse when I duo Queue :
Friend take warrior => double team warrior
Me take take support => double team support
Me (support) +Friend (warrior) double warrior and double support

ok... gotta take assassins then -.-'

edit : if anyone want to party (EU) add me > Chaos17#2146

Gonna add you now!

Edit: Digits and I will be playing. I only have time for a few games though.

Dice

Well, it's not terrible when you finally get to the stage where you can build some good decks and not rely on the inferior basic cards.
It's like Street Fighter where you have to work toward unlocking special moves before you can use them in matches, and they keep releasing new ones and the meta shifts. I remember when I tried it (early on). Things seemed okay until I started coming up against these hunters, then I saw this hunter thing was strong in the meta at the time and the way people were dealing with it was to... build an anti-hunter deck, which of course was not well-rounded and had plenty of troubles vs other decks. It seemed like a really shitty unbalanced Pokemon. I dropped out there and from everything I have read, things just followed this pattern, and Blizzard would "fix" issues by making something else broken, until it's all these counter-broken shits playing each other.

Okay I'll stop ranting about Hearthstone in the HotS thread now. I'm just rather vocal about the only Blizzard thing to truly thoroughly disappoint me. I had a go at MtG for a while once and it seemed waaaay better.

Xater

I love playing Hearthstone, but yeah the bushiness model of it is starting to get to me again. It's incredibly grindy is you don't want to put money in and even if you do you are not guaranteed to get what you want. I think I'll drop and just continue playing HOTS. Having lots of fun with it now that I am back playing.

Also in HOTS if I don#t feel like grinding I can just buy the hero I want and I am good. Don#t care about costumes, so the amount of money to spend here is quite limited.

Milly79

It'll take a long time. You'll spend the first few hours learning the game and unlocking basic cards. Then you'll need to build decks with those cards and win 100 games against other people. You'll come up against powerful decks and probably lose more than half your games. In fact, I'd say you'd be lucky to win one in three games on average. It'll take a while.

I don't think they do. The blog post yesterday mentioned that the wins have to be in play mode.

The achievement is for 100 wins, it doesn't specify which. You can google it and see others have said the same. I have 40 wins online and that's it and I have the achievements for 100 wins.

Zafir

I love playing Hearthstone, but yeah the bushiness model of it is starting to get to me again. It's incredibly grindy is you don't want to put money in and even if you do you are not guaranteed to get what you want. I think I'll drop and just continue playing HOTS. Having lots of fun with it now that I am back playing.

Also in HOTS if I don#t feel like grinding I can just buy the hero I want and I am good. Don#t care about costumes, so the amount of money to spend here is quite limited.

Well yeah, I did put money into Hearthstone and I'd have put more money into Hearthstone if I could get exactly what I wanted but I couldn't. Compare it to Hots. I started properly playing this when it entered closed beta in January. By the four months mark(which is how long I'd played HS for), I'd spent probably less money than Hearthstone and felt like I had way more content at my disposal.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
I've been playing a load of the training. Moved up to vs AI but have yet to win a game. I got so close to winning one but then it just totally swung in the opposite direction and couldn't even try to stop it. Really don't know where I'm going wrong.

Alavard

Man, I really like MFPallytime's youtube videos. He's just constantly so positive and optimistic, and clearly having a blast.

Alavard

I've been playing a load of the training. Moved up to vs AI but have yet to win a game. I got so close to winning one but then it just totally swung in the opposite direction and couldn't even try to stop it. Really don't know where I'm going wrong.

What are you playing as? I find the vs AI can be tough if you're not an assassin sometimes because your AI team mates are so brain dead.

Started playing today and went in on that $40 bundle for no good reason. I like Li Li and Nova so far. Nova is really unforgiving when you get caught but it's super fun to just cloak > snipe > attack > cloak all game. I think I'll buy Sylvanas when I get enough gold.

So far I like this game way more than LoL or Dota2. It's a lot more my speed.

Man, why have the load screens for Kael'Thas and Johanna been so lame compared to the one for Sylvanas? The Banshee Queen had that cool background with the clickable candles.

Of course, that might've been the load screen prior to her, as I started playing when she was released. Still, having that Wrath of Khan nebula background is weaksauce comparatively.

Dice

When the AI gets to a disadvantage it will deathball. If you don't know how to counter a deathball, if you touch their core they'll stop whatever they are doing to try and stop you. Playing with only AI teammates is tricky because you have to know strategies and timings so you can guide them all with pings.

Man, I really like MFPallytime's youtube videos. He's just constantly so positive and optimistic, and clearly having a blast.
Truly the Day9 of HotS.

Man, why have the load screens for Kael'Thas and Johanna been so lame compared to the one for Sylvanas? The Banshee Queen had that cool background with the clickable candles.

Of course, that might've been the load screen prior to her, as I started playing when she was released. Still, having that Wrath of Khan nebula background is weaksauce comparatively.

a new map came out when she did. they will probably do that for all new map releases.

Yep, someone in here recommended him and he is now my go to when I want to look at a new hero to play. His personality also matches my mentality I am trying to keep throughout my foray into my first MOBA, have fun or what is the point?

Chaos17

Everybody that I recently added : Nice to meet you all, too bad we kept missing each other. I hope we can play soon together ₍ᐢ•ﻌ•ᐢ₎

I just began the game last month.
I'm an average player, who do what I can to support my team.

Yoshichan

I... I am a snowflake :3

Blizzard would "fix" issues by making something else broken, until it's all these counter-broken shits playing each other.

Isn't this like their whole business model nowadays?

Edit: HBD YOSHIIUUIIIIII11[*^|%*]*]*{^^]*[$]

Doubledragon:

What!? you don't enjoy a huge red pulsating anus as a background?!

Xater

Is Abathur a nice character to play? I just got my first 10k of gold, and I'm not sure where to spend it!

He is hard to play and has been nerfed in a way that makes him not a great character anymore. Would not recommend getting him at all.

-Digits-

Thanks! I will keep the money and think more about it then!

Never buy a character you haven't a least levelled to 5 during a free week. Gold gain goes down significantly once you levelled all heroes t 5 and your account to 40, so if you buy something expensive you end up not liking you'll regret it.

What!? you don't enjoy a huge red pulsating anus as a background?!

Can not unsee.

Also, I just realized I can buy the 5 remaining heroes I don't own with gold and still have 23k left for a pig and some candy.

kirblar

He is hard to play and has been nerfed in a way that makes him not a great character anymore. Would not recommend getting him at all.
He got nerfed from TLV-tier best character in the game status to being just "good but niche" - he just doesn't autowin for you anymore.

Definitely try before you buy though- he's weird.

Jinaar

Thoughts from last night:

Johanna - Great Warrior. Sometimes too great when your opponent is her and she. just. won't. die! Her skills have lots of usage and their mana consumption isn't too great.

New Players - A Diablo team mate called me a "nerd" for telling him not to lane and help us capture a bounty. We died and he continued to lane until Team Gank came to send him back to the depths where he erupted from.

I guess for the next few weeks I'll have to give others the benefit of the doubt and allow them to just be in QM. Guess maybe I'll try to team up with Gaffers more and do HL.

I done did some numbermaths..

You get:

16.000 gold for player levellin to 40
18.500 gold for levelling all chars to lvl 5
= 34.500

plus
15.000 approx. per month for doing every daily.

Thats not too much gold I would argue.
(edit: not counting gold from matches)

Additionally you can get with losing your life to the game,
levelling every char. to lvl15 you get 46.250g more
levelling every char. to golden yoshi level you get 92.500g more

Xater

I done did some numbermaths..

You get:

16.000 gold for player levellin to 40
18.500 gold for levelling all chars to lvl 5
= 34.500

plus
15.000 approx. per month for doing every daily.

Thats not too much gold I would argue.

Additionally you can get with losing your life to the game,
levelling every char. to lvl15 you get 46.250g more
levelling every char. to golden yoshi level you get 92.500g more

Did you somewhere factor in the gold payouts from the played matches?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom