• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT2| Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gala

Hey HotS-GAF. I kinda want to dive into Heroes of the Storm and I would really appreciate if you could point me to some decent video tutorials and advice for new players!

Hey HotS-GAF. I kinda want to dive into Heroes of the Storm and I would really appreciate if you could point me to some decent video tutorials and advice for new players!

Just use Raynor all the time, everyday, all day. never think twice about other heroes.

and listen to this secret

dont take advice from me

Muddimar

Watch MFPallyTime on youtube, he has some great character tutorials (earlier videos). He updates frequently as well. Advice? Play cautiously in real matches, play some AI matches for a few heroes to get comfortable, then jump into playing with real people. Map awareness is key in MOBAs, HoTS is no exception. Your minimap will tell you when a team fight is going to happen, when objectives spawn, and if someone is in need of help. You can practice with it in AI matches.

Try to get comfortable with heroes of different types, you never know which hero will suite your playstyle best.

Alur

So THH were talking about how they (for the most part) felt Tyrande was barely changed at all. They also discussed how that was the right move - to incrementally reduce her power instead of destroy her in the same way Stitches, Brightwing, etc. got rekt.

How do you guys feel about it? I agree on both counts. I don't think the nerfs to her were that big at all. Taken as a whole, I suppose it could be a decent nerf, but I doubt that the next time I play her I'll notice them too much beyond the 2 extra seconds for Mark to come off cooldown.

Still, I'd prefer her just get incrementally dropped over time instead of going from top tier to trash tier in one sweep of the hammer.

Alur

I really like the vulnerability you get from talents like Jaina's and Nova's, for example. I love playing WITH Sylvanas taking Cold Embrace, but it spreads so easily I think it's a little OP as well in the same way Tyrande's is.

Ketch

So THH were talking about how they (for the most part) felt Tyrande was barely changed at all. They also discussed how that was the right move - to incrementally reduce her power instead of destroy her in the same way Stitches, Brightwing, etc. got rekt.

How do you guys feel about it? I agree on both counts. I don't think the nerfs to her were that big at all. Taken as a whole, I suppose it could be a decent nerf, but I doubt that the next time I play her I'll notice them too much beyond the 2 extra seconds for Mark to come off cooldown.

Still, I'd prefer her just get incrementally dropped over time instead of going from top tier to trash tier in one sweep of the hammer.

I think cleanse buff will have more of an effect on her pick rate then her specific nerfs.

brian!

I dont think she needs too many changes, just for supports to become more specialized and thus more pickable as per situation and maybe this includes changing tyrande so she doesnt fit with everything. I like stuff like stun duration reduction but her e is follow up anyway, cc duration reduction has to occur across the board if they want to change things up. Think her trait needs the most attention but it kind of feels like they coded in 25% as a status effect that they cant alter without it affecting all the heroes who have it? Getting rid of stuff like sprint for her would be meaningful and accentuate a weakness for her, or even something like a decrease in auto range tho that might be too much.

I think frequent patches of this nature are excellent, even tho a lot of the tyrande changes are whatever. To me like in the end what makes her strong is her ability to fit everywhere atm and that ability is solely locked in her kit.

I guess id tend towards making other supports better rather than gutting tyrande (dont mean in healing numbers) but thats a lot of work and i dont expect it to happen

I think if they reworked lili itd go a long way

Milly79

I really like the vulnerability you get from talents like Jaina's and Nova's, for example. I love playing WITH Sylvanas taking Cold Embrace, but it spreads so easily I think it's a little OP as well in the same way Tyrande's is.

Well Nova's is really similar to Tyrande's except you get it at 16. Jaina's you gotta be in their face. Not sure how I feel if they changed Syl's though. She needs more diversity at that level 16.

@brian

What do you think they could do with Li Li? I think she's fine as is. There needs to be a "dumb" healer in the mix. Uther says easy, as well as Malf in game, but I'd argue they're much harder than Li Li would ever be.

Milly79

Inc big post about wiz and nec

Wizard

- They really wanted to have the mechanic of CD reset. Because of this reason many iconic Wizard skills could not be used. Example: Blackhole was tested but they couldn't give a CD reset mage a hard CC. It would be too powerful.

- Meteor was sought after. However they didn't want to give a mage another delayed AoE. It would be too similar to KT's Flamestrike or Jaina's Blizzard.

- One of her heroics is Wave of Force. She will cast a mirror image at the location that displaces all around the mirror image. The spell can be reset on kill or assist. There is no travel time for this spell.

- Extremely mana reliant. They balanced the CD reset around hard hitting skillshots and mana problems.

- Disintegrate lasts for 2.5 seconds. It moves significantly faster than Diablo’s Lightning Breath. Disintegrate is much thinner than Diablo’s Ultimate, however Disintegrate is longer reaching. Killing a target or gaining an assist resets this spell just like the Wizard’s other spells.

- Calamity Build for Teleport. You can select a talent where Teleport does damage. Another Teleport talent gives you diamond skin (a shield) when using teleport. This is a high risk, high reward play style.

- Archon. Lvl 20 talent. Gain one spell and disable the original spells. Get a Disintegrate that lasts forever. You can deactivate Archon to gain your original spells back. To my understanding Archon would appear on the bar above your abilities (like where Bolt of the Storm is placed).

- Tal Rasha’s Elements. Lvl 20 talent. If you cycle through your spells you gain increased damage.

- Glass Canon Talent. 15% increased Damage but 15% lower health.

Necromancer

- Trait. Raise Skeletons. When nearby minions die a skeleton will raise up and push down the lane. A maximum of 4. The skeletons automatically spawn. There is no mana cost.

- Q. Spectral Scythe. Reverse Skillshot. Similar to the back portion of Falstad’s Hammer. Larger AoE though. It was described as a large circle of spinning scythes coming towards Xul.

- W. Cursed Strike. Auto attacks now cleave and cause a 50% attack speed debuff on enemies. A reminder that your auto attacks are melee.

- E. Bone Prison. Can only be cast on heroes. Target a hero and after a short delay it will root the hero for 2 seconds. It has a melee cast range.

- Bone Shield. The ability is gained at Lvl 1 and is found on the action bar above your basic spells. Lvl 1 has 3 talents that augment Bone Shield. Similar to Kharazim's Lvl 1 talent. You pick a talent that enhances Bone Shield. Your choices are either Evasion, Bone Shield slows nearby enemy heroes, or Bone Shield explodes for damage when the shield expires.

- Heroic 1. Poison Nova. Poison missiles fire out all around Xul. Several missiles can hit you but only the first missile does damage. Large DoT is placed on the enemy character. The missiles fire out like a fan so the farther you are form Xul the easier it is to dodge the skill.

- Heroic 2. Skeletal Mages. The spell is placed like Tassadar’s Force Wall. Think of Nazeebo’s zombie wall where these mages can be attacked. Their is an aura around the mages that slow enemies. The Skeletal Mages can each attack a separate target. There is space where you can maneuver between them. 4 Mages are summoned in total.

- Difficult Hero to design. It took the team several additional weeks to finish the design. So many D2 spells wanted to be hit, but in the end they needed to create a practical hero. Controllable summons were difficult. They didn’t want to make it another Rexxar situation with Misha. Jokingly it was stated, “We couldn’t have 80 skeletons running around in the game.” In the end the team was mechanically happy with making an anti-bruiser hero.

- They had him as a ranged character at one point. The attack range of the character was played with several times. Spectral Scythe and the Curse worked better in the melee range. He is working as a good off-tank character.

- “He’ll bully out Zagara.” A great laning hero. Believed to be one of the best pushers in the game. Not a hero killer in lane, but a strong pressure in lane.

- Mobility is Xul’s biggest challenge. Melee ranged spells for the most part.

Wizard sounds soooooooooooooo good.

Alur

I guess id tend towards making other supports better rather than gutting tyrande (dont mean in healing numbers) but thats a lot of work and i dont expect it to happen

I think if they reworked lili itd go a long way

Naturally. Would always rather see them buff others instead of nerf the OP hero, but no developer has that kind of time and no player base has the kind of patience to wait for them to incrementally increase each one. It's nice in concept, but pretty well impossible in reality for more than a few heroes in each grouping.

I don't know about reworking Lili. I kind of like her where she is. Yes, she'll likely never see much competitive play but she's perfectly viable for our pleb level games. She's got her own unique thing, she's even frustrating to play against. There's enough healers now where she doesn't have to be top end viable to still be simply dece and be a good entry point for new players.

Though if they accidentally fudged some numbers and made Lili as strong of a support as Raynor is damage right now...I wouldn't mind an adventure huehue

Well Nova's is really similar to Tyrande's except you get it at 16. Jaina's you gotta be in their face. Not sure how I feel if they changed Syl's though. She needs more diversity at that level 16.

Agreed on Nova's, but it puts her at risk and doesn't come til late. It feels like it fits her character...kind of just piercing through your armor and what not. Syl's is OpieOP and always has been. I feel like it's a talent she has to have, but if it only spread the vulnerability to two or three targets instead of the whole team it'd seem a lot less outrageous. Not unlike Chain Bomb, IMO.

What do you think they could do with Li Li? I think she's fine as is. There needs to be a "dumb" healer in the mix. Uther says easy, as well as Malf in game, but I'd argue they're much harder than Li Li would ever be.

Agreed. Uther is still the hardest healer because he requires the most buttons. And Malf requires that early game management. Lili you can just tape down Q and enjoy the ride for the most part, if you are good with Jugs.

brian!

Yeah obv blizz has concerns that i dont have like theme and ease of play and stuff

Like i never made it to the pandas in wow, so basically it's pandas = chinese ppl, thats all i know about it

Off the top of my head itd be cool if q was an aoe jar throw that healed allies and did dmg to enemies (this removes her uselessness against stealth and makes her more controllable), and talents would then also be more interesting, none of this oh you can cleanse something but you're fucked if they are stunlocking your full health kael or hey now you have two heal targets isnt that nice. Her w is another why does this exist spell to me, i feel like there is alot you can do with a chain lightning style serpent that can be talented into status effects or something. Her ult is really booty too, i guess you could do a big keg splash type of thing thats like the q i was thinking about that leaves a puddle behind that does something, dmg reduction/amplification?

I dunno i feel like im writing fan fiction here, mainly i brought it up because itd be nice to have a hero that has a bunch of glaring weaknesses lifted up to be competitive and able to do something that a tyrande wouldnt

Its pretty important not to change a hero a lot of ppl like for blizz id wager, but personally the biggest buff for me would be if she didnt have a nightmare face

Alur

Nightmare face going away would be awesome. W bug returning would be even better.

Why does Blizz have to make necro melee? I just wanna stand back and do stuff, Blizz. Why you make me go in the thick of it?

Alur

Lunar Dragon and Cloud Serpent mounts...GET.

Lunar Illidan, Master Xul = me like.

I prefer Li-Ming's base skin overall I think.

Blizzard doing an excellent job just trickling out info and videos and the like this week. Something for nearly every single day.

Maledict

Yeah, I'm not a fan of Star Princess at all - maybe its an anime reference I don't get?

Everything about Zul looked fantastic - the base model, the master skin, the serpent skin, the serpent mount - gief me all of this now.

Space Lord Leoric, Bloodcount Arthas and Lunar Festival Jaina were also brilliant - I love the very modern look that gives Jaina. Don't think Illidan looked great at all.

I'm going to spend a lot of money over the next month I can tell...

That wizard alt skin, not my taste of magical girl theme so I maybe will buy the wizard alone. and the goddamm flying serpent thing!!

Alur

My only concern with these two heroes releasing is that it looks like both will be a $20 bundle with a mount. Not sure how I feel about that. The mount + skin + hero bundles were like every 3rd of 4th release...this will be 3 heroes in a row with a personalized mount.

I'll get them regardless, but it's a lot of money.

Alavard

My only concern with these two heroes releasing is that it looks like both will be a $20 bundle with a mount. Not sure how I feel about that. The mount + skin + hero bundles were like every 3rd of 4th release...this will be 3 heroes in a row with a personalized mount.

Well, during one of the interviews that came out of the past couple days, they mentioned that both of these heroes got bumped around in the release order (especially Xul), so they may have originally the mounts intending for them to release more spread out and not against another $20 bundle.

Maledict

I want to know what's happened to Dignitas. On THH they were talking about massive disruption to the EU competitive scene, and they had such an amazing roster but we haven't really seen them play much with it.

Would be a shame if it broke up already!

Thats why Bliizard is doing it sadly. People will buy it regardless maybe they are just testing how much you are willing to pay until you realized is a lot of money

Zafir

*fingers crossed* that the new heroes aren't as bad as Lunara. (Note: Not played since the patch dropped this week so maybe she's better now?)

I want more ranged dudes to play. :(

Altairre

I honestly like the default skins for both Li-Ming and Xul best especially Li-Ming's third color. Li-Ming's master is kind of terrible, Xul's is alright I guess. Lunar Jaina looks baller, too bad I don't enjoy playing her. Not really anything I want to spend money on, maybe that serpent mount down the line. I'm not complaining though, good on Blizzard for making great looking defaults.

Alur

Yeah great work with the defaults. Xul lookin' pretty evil.

In other news, still not sure I understand this whole Cognitive thing. Glaurung left them less than a month ago...now he's back.

Equinox was on THH last week saying they had prospects they were trying out for MG...now he's the only person left on the team. Wild times.

brian!

Equinox was dropped last week i think, i think the team was dissolved. In the greymane feature tl had he was listed as a free agent

Iirc cog the org was great to the players

Milly79

Guess we'll see if it pays off or if those people were the issues with their old teams. Can't see cog ever succeeding, but...

Xul default looks terrible, but I'm down for the Snake God cheese

Arthas is yet another overdesigned trainwreck which would be awesome if only one thing was removed, in this case the helmet

Lunar Jaina looks ok

Loonar Illidan looks like ass

Love Doctor Morales is cute

Space Leoric shoulda been a skeleton astronaut and I will never forgive that missed opportunity

Syf

Banned
Not a huge fan of most of the new skins. Feel pretty silly. I like the wiz and necro defaults, lunar Jaina, and cloud serpent though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom