• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT2| Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Buni

How do you convince people to not go for the fucking boss during curse in Cursed Hollow? It is so annoying to fight over tributes thrice or more and then waste the curse because my team decided taking boss and camps was the best thing they could do during the curse.

Zackat

How do you convince people to not go for the fucking boss during curse in Cursed Hollow? It is so annoying to fight over tributes thrice or more and then waste the curse because my team decided taking boss and camps was the best thing they could do during the curse.

it's dumb, but one of those things where it is better to do an idiotic thing as a team rather than being split.

As for convincing them, just say something in the beginning of the match. Short and sweet like "during curse push lanes" or whatever. People are much more receiving right at the start than they are during a match. Call those shots right away.

So I have started grinding hero league with my friend again. Been playing Thrall a lot, damn that chain lightning build is so good.

Dr. Buni

it's dumb, but one of those things where it is better to do an idiotic thing as a team rather than being split.

As for convincing them, just say something in the beginning of the match. Short and sweet like "during curse push lanes" or whatever. People are much more receiving right at the start than they are during a match. Call those shots right away.

So I have started grinding hero league with my friend again. Been playing Thrall a lot, damn that chain lightning build is so good.
That is actually a very good idea. Thanks!

Alur

You can't really, sadly. As you move up there's like a line where it finally stops happening, but it's super damn frustrating til you get there. There's no talking em out of it either.

Like Zackat said, saying it at the start is probably the best bet. Used to have to do that when the Punisher was OP on Infernal Shrines too.

kirblar

Oh hey, a celebrity?

HLsGzgf.jpg

Or not.

Alur

Fan vs Equinox in an Illidan duel going on right now.

EDIT: Fan overcommits in true Equinox fashion, loses after having Equinox on the ropes the whole match.

EDIT: Wow, Udall vs Zuna on Butcher. Udall said he was confident because Zuna feeds.
turns out he was right

You can't. All you can do is ping what you think your team should be doing.

Also I disagree with the general notion of going with your team no matter what. If you can safely push a lane while they boss, then you should do the thing that actually nets your team an advantage. Push a lane, take a tower or two, maybe a keep, and back out before it gets too dangerous. Keep an eye on spawn timers and the mini-map.

Ping what you think your team should do during curse, each keep in a lane, and if they go boss, go push the safest lane. Accomplishing nothing just to stay with the group is pointless.

Alur

Sure you can go push that safe lane and eat the deathball that's inevitably going to come, or maybe get a wave before they push you back into hiding. The only way you're getting real value in that lane is pushing forward where it's not safe, so it's not really a viable option unless you have eyes on all 5 people on the map. And if they deathball your boss, which is a probable outcome, you just set your team up for a 4v5 and probably cost them the boss.

That split push tactic you're suggesting right there litters the silver/gold leagues and is the biggest reason why people get so frustrated playing there (beyond toxicity and the frequent d/c's). For that one wave of minions you might clear in EXP, you're gonna give double back getting ganked or it's otherwise going to be insignificant. If you try to take a wall/towers/fort, you're just asking to get ganked.

I get what you're saying in a perfect world, but if this kind of behavior is happening (taking boss/mercs during curse), he's playing in a far from perfect world. In those leagues you have to play exactly the opposite of how people act in a horror movie - don't split up. Soaking is very important, but staying alive is more important. Leaving your team at a time when it's obvious where they are is not a good call at all, no matter how bad their initial call was. If he was playing in Diamond or even Platinum then yeah, I'd do exactly what you suggest...but if he were in those leagues, he also wouldn't be seeing that behavior during a curse.

If you wipe a team and win curse, you have a window to push, with a timer of when you should start to back. You don't go fucking merc, no matter what the randoms on your team are doing, when you have uncontested map control.

Alur

There was nothing said about wiping the team. Simply about getting the curse and wasting it while bossing/mercing.

We are in agreement it's a waste. We aren't in agreement that you should go off solo and get yourself or your team potentially killed because they are also being dumb. Like people always say, two wrongs do not make a right.

If the enemy team is wiped you're free to do whatever, but can't say I see a lot of team wipes on Cursed Hollow before late game. What he's describing is typically a first curse of the game activity.

Altairre

There was nothing said about wiping the team. Simply about getting the curse and wasting it while bossing/mercing.

We are in agreement it's a waste. We aren't in agreement that you should go off solo and get yourself or your team potentially killed because they are also being dumb. Like people always say, two wrongs do not make a right.

If the enemy team is wiped you're free to do whatever, but can't say I see a lot of team wipes on Cursed Hollow before late game. What he's describing is typically a first curse of the game activity.

I agree with this. I play in shittier and people regularly get boss during curse but there's rarely a wipe before it earlier in the game. You might get a kill or two (you also might lose one or two of your own) but if they decide to go boss I prefer to help them kill it faster so that there's still some time left to do stuff as opposed to pushing buildings alone. It's not worth it if you get caught imo.

Dr. Buni

You can't. All you can do is ping what you think your team should be doing.

Also I disagree with the general notion of going with your team no matter what. If you can safely push a lane while they boss, then you should do the thing that actually nets your team an advantage. Push a lane, take a tower or two, maybe a keep, and back out before it gets too dangerous. Keep an eye on spawn timers and the mini-map.

Ping what you think your team should do during curse, each keep in a lane, and if they go boss, go push the safest lane. Accomplishing nothing just to stay with the group is pointless.
I actually tried that, but I didn't pay enough attention to the map and almost got myself killed by Nova (I was Rehgar). :) I do agree though, that while they boss, I can do something else, which I tried to, but I am sure pushing blindly wasn't the best thing I could have done at the time either.

Dr. Buni

My favorite thing in this whole game is when my team gets our boss during curse and then pings the other boss LEZ GO BOYS!
Haha that happened in the match I was complaining about. I was left in awe. But I can't complain, as I am still rocking my placement matches, so there are a lot of unaware players around.

Indignate

Had the most boring game on Booty Bay.

We had Illidan, Sonya, Rexxar, and Zag so we just solo'd every camp and kept all the lanes pushed out. Had maybe one actual team fight and won off of turn ins and then just rushing down the core.

That map is actually the worst.

#bringbackhauntedmines

Altairre

Had the most boring game on Booty Bay.

We had Illidan, Sonya, Rexxar, and Zag so we just solo'd every camp and kept all the lanes pushed out. Had maybe one actual team fight and won off of turn ins and then just rushing down the core.

That map is actually the worst.

#bringbackhauntedmines

I have a near perfect winrate on that map because I can kind of carry the game just by getting coins and turning them in. At my level people do that too infrequently and often just fight and die for no reason. If you keep turning in the xp advantage will make sure your team wins those fights more easily and you kill buildings at the same time. That's why it's one of my favorite maps lol. I can see that complaint though.

Ketch

I really like BHB... except for the map mechanic... actually, I really lot GOT aswell... except for the map mechanic.

Like the two top lanes and the one solo lane REALLY far away is super unique and very interesting for team comp/laning considerations... and then both maps have a really good jungle meta aswell, these are like the only maps with that kind of stuff going on... hopefully new maps can replicate that to an extent before they get rid of these two (if that's what they want to do).

Like infernal shrines is definetly my favorite map at the moment, but it still doesn't get the jungle right I feel.

and on garden it's not great either outside of night phase.

I feel like BHB coin mechanice gives mercing/jungling purpose that is missing on other maps, and even though I think cannon barrage is a stupid way to win the game, making merc camps something to do at times other then when there's nothing else to do is interesting to me.

also, I think tomb is one of the best maps in the game. if anything sky temple is next to go.

brian!

i dont really dislike any of the maps but I think towers is the one that needs the most attention. a rotation a la cs would be pretty necessary if they keep injecting more ranked maps into the game

Alur

Apparently if you dont splitsoak early curses you fuck your exp pretty bad. May be an accidental comeback mechanic.

This is true, but nobody has really done this consistently that I've seen even after the PSA on it a little while back. I think for us it's more "win more" than necessary due to the way the game is played by regular players. If your team were to split into three lanes (and often even just two) someone will inevitably eat the deathball and lose whatever small advantage you soaked.

In diamond players now typically push two lanes during curse and can get away with it, though. For a long time it was almost all one lane at that level, however.

They are looking to create maps that discourage death ball so maybe that'll be a thing on the next one once we get it.

brian!

yeah best thing to do in general for all first objectives is to soak all the lanes, map awareness important tho as ppl are noting

garden is kind of special because the strats in the map are so weird due to being such an evenly spaced map, it's really interesting to me, plus it's the only map where the idea exists that you need to use the earned map objective to secure the next map objective, besides maybe bhb. I can see it being a kind of love it or hate it map

boe to me is a good representation of "everyone get in here" map objectives w/ nuance and shit involved, vs. towers which does a similar thing but w/ a lot less depth
worst thing about towers is how forts are the best objective pretty much always and how getting this objective puts the game into a follow me loop, but I don't mind it as a niche thing tbh

brian!

yeah a constant objective would be cool, prob more suitable for arena mode I think though, I'm not 100% clear on what that mode is supposed to be so it's pretty much "fun non-competitive" to me

like imagine chromie defending a payload push lol

Ketch

I think an overwarch payload map would be pretty dope.

Like 3 lane map, but the middle lane is just the payload in the middle, no minions.... and then maybe the payload only pushes when someone on the other team is dead.

so you'd end up with 3 mid constant team fighting, and two side solo lanes fighting for xp advantage... it would make lane match ups really interesting.

brian!

oh yeah it'd be really cool to have like one of those carnival game races style things that pushed the thing when a certain condition was met

or like if they really wanted to go all in, it'd push a piece in a board game w/ random shit like community chest or things like "restore heroes health", that'd be sick

Dr. Buni

An Overwatch map in HotS would be neat. I would like it to be Numbani or Hanamura, because of the visuals mostly. Though we are due for a Starcraft map first.

Alavard

Found a fun bug while messing around in AI games earlier today:

I died in the middle of a Nova triple tap as Leoric, and for some reason, the graphic stuck around the rest of the match, always coming from her current location and stretching toward me as far as it could. This was about as far as it would stretch, but it never went away. The interesting thing is I could use it to see where Nova was at all times.

Maledict

What were the comps, pro have talked at length that games can just be lost on the draft already. Still poor showing with regionals and globals on the line.

Nah - the old C9 used to troll draft and stomp people. There was a lot of complaining about it at the time.

Both games they gave away Kael which was interesting. I suspect they may be prioritizing Falstad too much - from what I saw K1pro was playing him quite badly as well. He was diving way too deep with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom