• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT2| Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alur

Holy shit at the thirst:

3RkU1fE.png

Browder am cry at having prematurely launched HOTS
I am cry too

Celegus

Final placement match for TL, joined a random group from the channel. Two people quit out halfway through and we actually did better with bots. Obviously lost horribly though, ended up 11-9 at rank 24. Don't really care about rank since I don't have a regular group, just wanted the gold and stuff.

Ketch

Ketch, we playin' dat OW tonight?

What's fun about being left at the mercy of RNG, though? If one team got Sylvanas your odds of winning decreased dramatically. The only halfway counter was Tassadar, It might be less bad now with bans, but I hope they've seriously reworked it in order to make it less snowball-y.

I just got back from my last class of the semester so hell yea we playing OW tonight.

Zackat

it really was launched way too early. Overwatch proves it without a shadow of doubt. I know it is in a different genre, but still. When I saw those twitch numbers the first thing I thought of was HotS. If it launched with the game how it is once ranked drops I think it would have had a much larger impact. Everyone right now is calling OW a "blizzard game", and that's why it's getting so much hype and is worth the cost, etc. Makes me even more upset that it launched soooo early, because I don't remember anyone saying that for HotS. The distinct "Blizzard Polish" just wasn't quite there yet, at least I didn't think so.

FeelsBadMan

I just hope that some of that energy can be siphoned into this game in some way, because it could really use it. It is different than the big 2, and starting to really find it's stride finally after a year. I am looking forward to this Blizzcon just for this game more than anything. I want them to come out on stage and have some cool things to tell us. There is so much potential.

brian!

I mean if heroes was all new characters and locale w/ the same polish instead of blizz all-stars im sure that would have helped

kirblar

The game is doing very well for them financially, it just clearly needs a lot of time, and unlike SFV, the financials are giving them an enormous cushion.

Ketch

I think you guys are overreacting quite a bit.

It's silly to intrepret OW success as some kind of negative for hots, or even to compare them at all. OW is the hypes shit, marketing was waaaay more then with hots, it's an fps, it's on consoles. Such a different beast.

Like hockey fans don't lament over how popular the super bowl is.

kirblar

Yeah prtty different things, wonder if overwatch will draw a meaningful contingent over with the origin stuff
I think Competitive OW is going to be a much tougher sell than people think.

This style of FPS hasn't been successful in that department in the past.

I think you guys are overreacting quite a bit.

It's silly to intrepret OW success as some kind of negative for hots, or even to compare them at all. OW is the hypes shit, marketing was waaaay more then with hots, it's an fps, it's on consoles. Such a different beast.

Like hockey fans don't lament over how popular the super bowl is.

That feeling though when your playing HOTS when everyone on your friends list is playing OW but you can't afford it cause of bills.

/feelsbadman

Inflation on common goods and services and stagnant income is a bitch.

God dang it bye bye is hilarious and Chromie is awesome.
Oh you wanted to gank me 5v1. Bye bye.
Zeratul is here, bye bye.
The range traded off is huge but what can you do when they have a melee assassin and you don't.

Also a Xul just told me he preferred the bot when my internet bowed out yet he had 3 times the deaths I did, half the damage, half the kills, even assists and it's not like he was pushing like crazy...

Chromie is my favourite Hero released since Li Ming. So gonna go for the master skin despite having bought the bundle.

Ketch

I think Competitive OW is going to be a much tougher sell than people think.

This style of FPS hasn't been successful in that department in the past.

i agree. I don't think OW esports is even really gonna be a thing. maybe slightly better then tf2 levels because blizz support > valve support when it comes to that stuff, but it won't be as popular of an esport as COD, halo or CS:go by any margin.

brian!

After watching some upper level play i feel like it could be pretty successful if they cobtinuously balance and add new stuff, like the necesary skill stuff is there for sure

Alur

I dunno if OW competitive will be a thing or not either. I think the game will have the playerbase numbers to have the audience for it, but I'm not sure it's exactly viewer friendly.

I mean I've played it since last November and I still have trouble keeping up with what's going on, and the commentators can't possibly touch on everything...like, I guess I'm saying, one of the biggest criticisms that a lot of you guys have of HOTS commentators is that the casters talk too much/too fast. That's literally all OW is when I've watched. They can't talk fast enough to keep up, it's like a mile a minute.

Add in the fact that depending on the perspective you can't even see all of what's going on...I just dunno.

I do feel like it won't be any worse than HOTS viewership is right now, though, or at least not worse than we see for qualifiers/regionals which is another discussion altogether IMO.

Even as optimistic as I try to be about the game/things, there's no denying that this year's tournament viewerships have been down from last year. RTBC and Regionals and Blizzcon were big successes last year compared to what came before them. This year the qualifiers barely get anything, the Regionals are subpar, and the one global we had also had half the viewership of the Blizzcon tournament last year (with time zone caveat). It honestly feels like it might have begun regressing instead of stagnating or growing.

As I said, some of that is time zones. Some is the storylines aren't as good (no TS vs C9 doesn't help, for example). But the disorganization, the delays, etc etc have begun to take their toll as well. I feel like the new ranked play is the last great hope to breathe life into the competitive scene and get the community behind it. There are plenty of players to be watching, but they have to give us a reason to watch.

Touche

Alur

I feel the same actually. I plan to play it when GAF people are on, but not sure how regularly I will. In February or March I was hyped beyond belief, but I've already lost my progress twice (three times?) and my sweet, sweet skins so that killed a bit of my buzz.

I'm just ready for the ranked rollout so I can play the mode without feeling angsty about losing rank 1. The way it's described, you will be in a certain bracket for some time (say you're in Platinum 2 or whatever), so you can play several games in a row - win streak or lose streak - and not be like "oh shit I lost a rank". "Oh shit, I just lost another rank." "Son of a bitch, I lost 4 games in a row and 2 ranks WTF Blizz."

The instant gratification or instant defecation of the current rank system will be the thing I'm most glad to be rid of.

Altairre

I wish people knew when to end games. Killed their whole team at lvl 23, they only had their keeps left but instead of ending the team got merc camps instead. Then they tried to boss when the enemy team was back up, our Tychus was farming the bottom lane for no reason and we lost. Just another day boys.

I wish people knew when to end games. Killed their whole team at lvl 23, they only had their keeps left but instead of ending the team got merc camps instead. Then they tried to boss when the enemy team was back up, our Tychus was farming the bottom lane for no reason and we lost. Just another day boys.

I have a strong feeling of personal déjavu, scrub league takes its toll.

Alur

Didn't see anyone mad. Upset that HOTS wasn't hyped and feature complete the same way perhaps, and skeptical that OW competitive will be a thing...but mad at the game? Wut?

Everyone seems to be pretty happy with it from my POV. At least in this thread.

Alur

Weren't they having standard Blizzard launch server issues?

One of the main threads on OW reddit is about how great this launch was compared to other Blizz launches. It's just GAF being GAF.

I was under the impression Isaccard was talking about people not liking the game in this thread though.

I find my team ends properly about 90% of the time. Often I will call the shots if no one else is though so that might help. But for real, solo queue often works OK for me in terms of closing out.

Altairre

God fucking dammit, I'm done for today. Again with this shit. Gets the plant on garden of terror (I wanted to take it but was a tad to slow) and instead of ending the fucking game he hits the one keep that still stands (we wiped them so they were all down at that point). Pinged the core, wrote in chat but nothing. We still would have won but our Xul and Chogall hearthed for no fucking reason (you don't even need mana to hit the god damn building) and the core survived with 37%. Lost that game.

Alur

Overwatch queue must've popped. Kappa.

I saw it once a long time ago on Cursed Hollow IIRC, but can't remember the context. That's pretty strange though. Maybe they mass DC'd?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom