• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT3| Chromiehounds

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
circling back to hots after a year...

is cassia fun to play?

does her WW skin come with her unlock?

whats the best use of 1000 gems?

IceMarker

Thank you for the replies on the subject everyone I'm just looking for some clairvoyance, maybe it's just a fluke and I'm having a bad day, but it's been way to consistent for my tastes.

is cassia fun to play?

Yes.

What's WW?

A lot of people seem to think 30-day stimpack.

Alur

Fair enough.

The data says it's a fair match then so be it, however there has been for me a noticeable uptick in straight-up stomp games, winning or losing. I thought HotS was a game about making comebacks and have the core game mechanics present an opening for the losing team so despair doesn't set in and people start giving up mid-match one-by-one.

It's not a game about comebacks. It's a game about objectives and team fighting. They have heavily laced it with comeback mechanics, however, to give a little hope instead of the despair you'd have in a game like League or Dota that you're just riding it out til the end after a certain point.

Comeback mechanics are sort of like brian! has said in the past, though.

They exist and they are heavily weighted in favor of the team that is behind. One won team fight where you kill at least 3 or 4 of your enemy can nearly erase an entire 3 level lead. 5 kills would put you ahead in most scenarios. Once that lead is established, all of the pressure is on the team with the advantage to press it and maintain it because all it takes is one bad fight and suddenly you may have blown everything you built. With all that said, that doesn't mean the comeback is a given. If you continue to properly execute as the leading team, then the enemy is quite unlikely to come back. More often than not there seems to be a slip-up, even at pro level, but your games just sound like you're a little tilted and the enemy simply hasn't given your team an opportunity to get back into it, or your team simply failed to capitalize on that opportunity.

tl;dr comebacks are a big part of the game because the game puts huge pressure on the team with an advantage to press that advantage and win with it due to heavy experience boosts to the losing team from kills and the like, but your team still has to punish the mistakes to enjoy those comeback mechanics

is cassia fun to play?

Yes, the Wonder Woman skin is part of her base skin.

And I'd save the gems unless there's something you want now. They'll be doing event/themed loot boxes, so you can always get some of that later, or a hero or a skin that comes out.

IceMarker

It's not a game about comebacks. It's a game about objectives and team fighting. They have heavily laced it with comeback mechanics, however, to give a little hope instead of the despair you'd have in a game like League or Dota that you're just riding it out til the end after a certain point.

They exist and they are heavily weighted in favor of the team that is behind. One won team fight where you kill at least 3 or 4 of your enemy can nearly erase an entire 3 level lead. 5 kills would put you ahead in most scenarios. Once that lead is established, all of the pressure is on the team with the advantage to press it and maintain it because all it takes is one bad fight and suddenly you may have blown everything you built. With all that said, that doesn't mean the comeback is a given. If you continue to properly execute as the leading team, then the enemy is quite unlikely to come back. More often than not there seems to be a slip-up, even at pro level, but your games just sound like you're a little tilted and the enemy simply hasn't given your team an opportunity to get back into it, or your team simply failed to capitalize on that opportunity.

tl;dr comebacks are a big part of the game because the game puts huge pressure on the team with an advantage to press that advantage and win with it due to heavy experience boosts to the losing team from kills and the like, but your team still has to punish the mistakes to enjoy those comeback mechanics

I really hope it is this, thanks for the insight.

FoxSpirit

lfg, EU, Foxspirit#1591, for playing some Overwatch quest games, Have done AI already but will do it for you too if you want for quick finish of week 1.

Alur

I impulsively bought 12 loot boxes with my gems. Maybe I should have waited.

It's all up to what you value. I'd argue you're better off waiting if you want boxes because they will inevitably release new exclusive loot box only stuff in the future, but as long as you got what you wanted it's hard to complain.

Very true, comebacks are possible and happen all the time. A friend and I were playing a game on Braxis last night and our team was losing badly for pretty much the first 15-18+ minutes of the game. The enemy was on our core but got cocky and we wiped them... the beacons came up and they didnt wait to group and just filtered in a couple at a time so we killed them again and then we won. I didn't think there was a chance of coming back in this game but never give up hope haha

It's all up to what you value. I'd argue you're better off waiting if you want boxes because they will inevitably release new exclusive loot box only stuff in the future, but as long as you got what you wanted it's hard to complain.

I hadn't even considered event boxes (which should have been obvious like in OW) so I do kind of wish I waited. But I usually don't get up in arms about cosmetic items.

That is one thing I don't like in OW that they will probably put into HotS. The time exclusive cosmetics. I get it with holidays, but even with the most recent Uprising event in OW you won't be able to get those skins until they tack it onto another event of some sort. Guess we'll see how HotS decides to approach that inevitable line someday.

Very true, comebacks are possible and happen all the time. A friend and I were playing a game on Braxis last night and our team was losing badly for pretty much the first 15-18+ minutes of the game. The enemy was on our core but got cocky and we wiped them... the beacons came up and they didnt wait to group and just filtered in a couple at a time so we killed them again and then we won. I didn't think there was a chance of coming back in this game but never give up hope haha

And yeah, that should not have been a win for us. It was so hopeless to that point and even the win wasn't exactly smooth.

Fancolors

Trying Probius. He's fun, but I feel like dead weight in team fights, since in most ranges where I can harass people with Q and W a mobile assassin can burst me to death. Great waveclear tho.

Trying Probius. He's fun, but I feel like dead weight in team fights, since in most ranges where I can harass people with Q and W a mobile assassin can burst me to death. Great waveclear tho.

He's insanely good on objective maps that have choke points like Cursed Hollow or Towers of Doom.

If your able to get to the obj quickly and set up it can cause headaches for the opposing team.

Fancolors

He's insanely good on objective maps that have choke points like Cursed Hollow or Towers of Doom.

If your able to get to the obj quickly and set up it can cause headaches for the opposing team.

Yeah, just had a match on Infernal and my WQ combo plus the pylon ult made sure the obj was captured everytime

Prelude.

I feel like brawls are even worse than before now. In 1.0 they rewarded you with 1k gold and a portrait, now it's just a fucking lootbox. With the addition of rerolls and no more 1k per week, it's gonna be pretty hard to actually save some gold. I have been stuck to 70k since 2.0 launched.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
played like 5 or 6 games on Arths, took him to 10. He's...fine? He's ok, kinda boring isnt he? Like, you can see he's one of the oldest heroes, he has no flash compared to the new guys. Well except for Sindragosa, thats always been flashy.

Only going to play like a couple of heroes a day now, get a real sense for them with a few games in a row, especially with the oldies I havent touched in ages. That being said I have the strangest urge to go back on Kael, I left him at 7. He is deffinately to be continued.

I have Tychus at 9, might do him next, get him to 10 for those 2 boxes and the 500g, meanwhile getting a sense for him. I always WANTED to like Tychus, because that minigun is just fun to use (well the Q is at least), but he never really clicked with me back in the day.

edit: that brawl is neat

Dreavus

I feel like brawls are even worse than before now. In 1.0 they rewarded you with 1k gold and a portrait, now it's just a fucking lootbox. With the addition of rerolls and no more 1k per week, it's gonna be pretty hard to actually save some gold. I have been stuck to 70k since 2.0 launched.

Definitely much worse for gold, yeah. The only consolation is that now they give XP to the hero you play instead of worthless account XP.

Prelude.

Definitely much worse for gold, yeah. The only consolation is that now they give XP to the hero you play instead of worthless account XP.
Yeah, that's cool.
Can you even get gold from the lootboxes? I don't think so. Gold rewards are so anaemic right now, it doesn't feel balanced.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
got the green goblin chromie skin form the brawl loot chest, which was the skin I wanted the most for her (for when I have her) so thats cool

Fan on abathur!!!
is it always objective > soak for pre-level 10?

Depends on the objective, you can give up a tribute, punisher or Towers of Doom altar in favour of getting an experience advantage or to trade even but in that case ideally you have some of your team mates stall the objective w/o dying.

Otherwise you should be clearing waves as you travel to an objective. Though that can be dangerous as your teammates might not take notice of your absence and commit fully w/o you present.

Also trading objectives is totally fine, splitting your team up over temples on sky temple for instance is more likely to hurt you than help in the early game.

Altairre

Fish tank is such an underrated talent for Murky. There are obvioulsy situations where rejuv bubble is better but I still take it more often than not and usually get great value out of it. I also think big tuna kahuna is generally pretty bad, the icreased respawn timer is not worth it because you can't be as annoying with your playstyle and you give up tons of damage by not taking making inky.

Had a really weird game just now though, felt more like pure deathmatch than usual. Nobody would disengage from any fight, people would just stand there trading into each other until they were dead, mostly in only one lane. Barely anybody used the fountain, wonder whether those were overwatch dudes. I just soaked xp like crazy, got my team ahead and made sure they won their fights. Certainly the strangest game in a while, it's almost like everybody had agreed to play aram and I just didn't get the memo.

Top Bottom