• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT3| Chromiehounds

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
is hotslogs borked? it says im in platinum MMR for QM >_>

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
i see, just thought it was weird since i was brozne a few days ago. Seems everyone in the EU posse is at least plat tho /shrug

Prelude.

Climbing QM has been pretty difficult lately with the kind of games I'm getting.
Solo queueing with Valeera got me to 2350, now I'm struggling to go past 2100.

Do not bully the slug. :(

I make a point of hunting aba even if I fuck up and lose my life at the beginning of each game just to make sure he knows he ain't safe.
Make him waste some mines to cover his retreat.
Climbing QM has been pretty difficult lately with the kind of games I'm getting.
Solo queuein with Valeera got me to 2350, now I'm stuggling to go past 2100.
I did that when Li Ming came out. She got so many nerfs in such a short time, probably the most broken hero ever on release.

Pull on W, 20% AP at lvl 20, 60% Slow (!) on Disintegrate at 20, magic missile snipes on fountains and siege in general, calamity hitting non heroics. Her changelog is amazing.
just went over her patch notes and she only ever got a buff to orb build which almost no one ever takes. It's a fun build tho.

https://heroespatchnotes.com/hero/liming.html go over them when you want a good laugh.

scoobs

Li Ming was straight but busted at release, nerds have been justified. She's still awesome in the right hands and always will be, the resets are uniquely powerful.

Li Ming was straight but busted at release, nerds have been justified. She's still awesome in the right hands and always will be, the resets are uniquely powerful.
that's underselling her.

Like KT was OP for 3 months before they removed Ignite and then he was still crazy good until they nerfed him in the ground so much they had to buff him back to being OP.

Li Ming was so OP that even the 2nd and 3rd best options were OP.

Fancolors

If Hotslog is of any indication I am forever stuck around 2400. Now I'll probably drop to 2100, because that's what happens when I start caring about MMR.

Altairre

Was the stomp I expected. That should simply not be possible. Two warriors on the enemy team when you have none. It's broken as fuck.

Edit: And now Lucio solo heal vs Khara, Lili. I know it's qm but seriously.

Edit2: So that game was just over 10 minutes long and included a toxic Gazlowe and a toxic Artanis. My team did not go into the mines at all, I got our only 16 skulls and that was that. *shrug* I conclude the day 2-12.

I wasn't a fan of tyrande before. I find her a pretty fun support character now that it clicked a bit more. Shadowstalk is a lot of fun to use and it has a short cooldown and is quite strong imo. Picking up the additional cd reduction for the heal actually gives her some real sustain, especially if you pick up the increased heal talent later. And having a range stun... is of course incredible for killing heroes out of position... and it becomes free cost very fast. Funny how a couple games with a decent composition changes your perspective of a hero you thought was previously lackluster.

scoobs

If Hotslog is of any indication I am forever stuck around 2400. Now I'll probably drop to 2100, because that's what happens when I start caring about MMR.

Its called a plateau, that's how good you actually are so now you actually have to get better :)

Rhaknar

kinda understanding Varian more (yes, Taunt Varian), still not sure if I like him, but I get him more at least.

I've had a taste of ranked play trolling. I was last pick and I indicated I was going to play valla. I figured I am going to play my best hero vs the line up. Whether or not valla was the best pick, set that aside. Thrall was picked despite lili and then nova is picked. Draft is going, no one says anything about valla being bad for the line up. I sit on the valla timer and let it run out. Basically people had 5 minutes to say something.

After the game this guy is like, we lost cause nova pick. And I was like, well thrall didn't seem too good either. (he was half my damage, I was top damage in the whole game). Then he was like valla was a bad pick too and we needed a second tank. I was like, wow, you say this 25 minutes after the fact. He claimed it was obvious. And I said, well, it was not obvious and that was apparent by the fact that I didn't pick a tank and was open to input.

Just bugs me that this guy doesn't say anything about any single pick before or during the draft and then immediately blames every other person's draft pick. It's amazing how people want to blame everyone else and then talk only after the fact.

edit:
Oh I forgot to mention he said valla was a bad pick because lili blinds. And I was like dude, look at my damage. He then switched his story to "we needed a second tank!" = fake people.

Alex

I like the idea of the new Tyrande, but I feel like she's missing ... something that makes her feel legitimately threatening. Probably just needs number tuning.

I've had a taste of ranked play trolling. I was last pick and I indicated I was going to play valla. I figured I am going to play my best hero vs the line up. Whether or not valla was the best pick, set that aside. Thrall was picked despite lili and then nova is picked. Draft is going, no one says anything about valla being bad for the line up. I sit on the valla timer and let it run out. Basically people had 5 minutes to say something.

After the game this guy is like, we lost cause nova pick. And I was like, well thrall didn't seem too good either. (he was half my damage, I was top damage in the whole game). Then he was like valla was a bad pick too and we needed a second tank. I was like, wow, you say this 25 minutes after the fact. He claimed it was obvious. And I said, well, it was not obvious and that was apparent by the fact that I didn't pick a tank and was open to input.

Just bugs me that this guy doesn't say anything about any single pick before or during the draft and then immediately blames every other person's draft pick. It's amazing how people want to blame everyone else and then talk only after the fact.

edit:
Oh I forgot to mention he said valla was a bad pick because lili blinds. And I was like dude, look at my damage. He then switched his story to "we needed a second tank!" = fake people.
I'm still just a noob, but my personal opinion is that the team needs one source of burst damage, and one source of sustained damage. The sustained damage will usually be an autoattack hero that is susceptible to blind.

I'd be curious what more experienced players around here think, though.

And hey, let's do ranked tonight. =)

FoxSpirit

I don't understand Hotslogs?

Like, I take the past 3 weeks in Master and Li Ming has okay winrate, I add in week 4 and it skyrockets. I isolate week 4 and man, her stats are so much better in that week.

But no patches that affected her happened in that time. Plus it seems I can basically build her how I want going by the values. AND the less popular picks are often the ones getting much higher winrates, e.g. cannoneer.

Or is that because those talents are only picked when ahead? But what about Aether Walker, that's lvl 1, is least picked but has a significant statistic higher winrate.

hmm.. I matched up against you 3 Kioshen, Protonium, and Milly. I don't like my draft, and you have tickle-king Tassadar. FeelsBad

edit gg. I was brightwing on Hanamura :D

Alur

I don't understand Hotslogs?

Like, I take the past 3 weeks in Master and Li Ming has okay winrate, I add in week 4 and it skyrockets. I isolate week 4 and man, her stats are so much better in that week.

But no patches that affected her happened in that time. Plus it seems I can basically build her how I want going by the values. AND the less popular picks are often the ones getting much higher winrates, e.g. cannoneer.

Or is that because those talents are only picked when ahead? But what about Aether Walker, that's lvl 1, is least picked but has a significant statistic higher winrate.

I think you could probably chalk a good portion of that up to how small the sample size is in Master. That's why I typically do Diamond and Master to get a little bit broader picture. Most talents in Master on a lot of heroes don't get more than a thousand (maybe two in some cases) or so games played on them per week.

Milly79

hmm.. I matched up against you 3 Kioshen, Protonium, and Milly. I don't like my draft, and you have tickle-king Tassadar. FeelsBad

Oh, what a shit game. I had Zeeb picked, walked away, it picked Tass. And you guys sniped like 2 others we had picked as well.

Rhaknar

over 50k gold now, with 6 heroes left. Will see what happens when I open all my boxes on Malthael day, then will at least buy Genji if he doesnt drop, as he is new enough that he wont be on sale anytime soon, and I kinda want to play him more, he was awkward and stressful but I was getting into him, I checked my games with him up to 5 and I actually went 7-1, he's my highest win rate hero lol (well with just a few games thats not hard but still). With some luck next week sales also hits one of the ones I'm missing, like Gul'Dan or something (would love a Probius sale)

so do we know if the new skins and stuff next week will be available in our standard loot boxes yet? Going to piss me off big time if all these boxes ive been saving are for nothing.

I'm assuming yes, and also as craftables no? I'm saving my shards for some of them at least lol (Murkalot for example)

scoobs

so do we know if the new skins and stuff next week will be available in our standard loot boxes yet? Going to piss me off big time if all these boxes ive been saving are for nothing.

Maledict

Murky (me), Li Ming, Jaina, Guldan, Zera vs Sonya, D.Va, Zera, Alarak, Li Ming.

The fuck?

Yeah, there's something wrong with the matchmaker. It doesn't match bruisers against bruisers for some reason. I've had numerous games where one team gets a bruiser and the other doesn't.

Alavard

We were told earlier you can save boxes to have a chance of new items so that should work fine. For the stuff coming next week anyway. The summer themed stuff will have their own summer loot boxes.

scoobs

We were told earlier you can save boxes to have a chance of new items so that should work fine. For the stuff coming next week anyway. The summer themed stuff will have their own summer loot boxes.

nooooooooooooooooooooo i need that tychus skin

nooooooooooooooooooooo i need that tychus skin

giphy.gif

Kioshen

Oh nice, I never realized it. GG !

Oh, what a shit game. I had Zeeb picked, walked away, it picked Tass. And you guys sniped like 2 others we had picked as well.

We all thought you had dodged the queue after the other side picked nazeebro.

=============

So this is what I was feeling yesterday when I forced myself trying to play tank :

Other than Cavalier Guest's guide on tanking, is there any useful resource out of the game to check out that you guys know of ?

brian!

Tanking is prob the hardest role, i dunno any other guides but id be a bit wary of cavguests rundown which is nice for drafting but doesnt really get into how the stuff works and also emphasizes some random ass shit. I think his guide is a good jumpoff for thinking, like a tier list, but yeah i dont feel like there is much to learn here and there is a good amount of bad information here

Id suggest you look at vods of good tank players and try to figure out the logic behind their decisions and movements, that's prob the most useful imo

Kioshen

Tanking is prob the hardest role, i dunno any other guides but id be a bit wary of cavguests rundown which is nice for drafting but doesnt really get into how the stuff works and also emphasizes some random ass shit. I think his guide is a good jumpoff for thinking, like a tier list, but yeah i dont feel like there is much to learn here and there is a good amount of bad information here

Id suggest you look at vods of good tank players and try to figure out the logic behind their decisions and movements, that's prob the most useful imo

Alright, I'll take it with a grain of salt then. What's funny to me is that I'm quick to judge in my head when I'm paired with a bad tank but when I'm in the driver seat I just don't know what I'm doing so I'm probably performing even worse.

During MSB I should watch the main tank players go at it instead of watching the epic plays or the side fireworks.

Jinaar

I just cannot understand how to get Valeera to do any decent damage over the course of a match. For the most part I can almost get a full combo off but really I can't seem to just do enough.

Chromie on the other hand, I love to pieces and have pretty much mastered keeping alive. Just love her to pieces and can help lead to massive dmg against others. So good.

Getting really addicted to this game again. I believe 2.0 is a real success and want to say congrats Blizzard!

I just cannot understand how to get Valeera to do any decent damage over the course of a match. For the most part I can almost get a full combo off but really I can't seem to just do enough.

In my experience you can pick off squishies easily with full-on Ambush build, and other than that her role is to either initiate with a stun+damage so your teammates can finish the job, or pick off stragglers. I like her a lot but it's feast or famine. Depending on your team comp and the enemy's team comp you can either get destroyed or just get picks left and right. An enemy team that sticks together all the time and can't be broken up by your teammates is hell for Valeera since she basically sucks in teamfights.

Rhaknar

Chromie on the other hand, I love to pieces and have pretty much mastered keeping alive. Just love her to pieces and can help lead to massive dmg against others. So good.

Getting really addicted to this game again. I believe 2.0 is a real success and want to say congrats Blizzard!

Valeera isnt meant to do damage, shes meant to kil / finishl people.

Jinaar

Thanks for the explanations. Sadly enough, I was called out once for not doing enough dmg but I can see where I could be better with her in how you explain her role being more of an annoyance (stun/silence) and making sure enemy heroes die when low. That makes more sense. Thanks for the information.

brian!

Positioning is prob the #1 thing for all roles but even more so for tanks because they are expected to mother bear a bit. A lot of it is matchup knowledge you accrue from just playing. For example it's important to know when to be in front of your team (to be the primary poke target, to block skillshots and playmaking abilities on your team, to be in position for a good engage, etc.) and when not to (to set up greymane q, when the enemy initiation is not visible on ur screen/map, etc.) It's all fairly intuitive.

But really the main thing is experience w/ the game, you will start understanding the range of things you can and cant do. As a role tanks need to be more flexible than roles like assassin or support and try to predict what's going to happen next in a fight. Muradin jumping forward to engage is usually good, but horrible to do if their comp can get past him and he's the only tank for example (some of muradin's most successful moments come from counter-engage for example; you allow their front line to be a bit forward, jump between them and apply your w, and just stop their flow). Sitting in a bush for vision while your team is bossing is useful sometimes, but you have to consider who is tanking the boss, whether the dmg you can put on it can help you race it down and avoid needless conflict, like basically whether it makes sense for you to apply something you did in a diff game to the current game. There are plenty of games lost off of tanks thinking they need to be a ward which is why i dont really like cavguest's emphasis on it. It's a good tool in the right situations, not a way of warrior life.

Proto bringing up team health is real important too. Tanks are usually positioned to receive the majority of poke, but you absolutely do not want to take free damage, taking free damage is always a win for the enemy. But another good reason to avoid taking dmg (and to take stock of your team's situation) are the cds spent to account for ur mistakes. You always want to block a li ming orb about to hit ur squad, but after eating the dmg it's likely that ur uther or whatever will heal u up; this means your window for engaging is closed for a bit because the heal cooldown is still running and the enemy's window for engaging is open. You want to engage at optimal times and taking stock of both teams health, mana, and cds is incredibly important. This is also true for counter-engaging or peeling, you need to recognize what the enemy team sees as oppurtunities and play accordingly to that too

Kioshen

Thanks for the tips guys I really appreciate it. Also, I would like to point out that by some miracle Proto and Milly are still really patient with me in-game even when I stumble during a match. I know how you two can sometimes dish out some snark at other players so thank you for that.

Top Bottom