• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT3| Chromiehounds

kirblar

Genji's definitely fightable, but the entire metagame has warped around his presence in a way that's really unhealthy. (D.VA, on the other hand, seems fine?)

Alur

Man the Roll20 love on this stream, in the Twitter voting, and in the chat is insane. Kind of amazing a board game company was the only one to really put in the effort to snatch them up.

Random HGC observations from the bit I've watched so far of the VOD

1) HGC intro = clearly inspired by GoT musically and graphically

2) Ayy Chen whaddup

I want him to be just as OP as in Hearthstone too.
A Dr. Boom skin for Gazlowe would be great - change the turrets to Boom Bots.

Dr. Boom is actually rather uncommon in Wild these days. I play him in some of my decks, but not many. Though today I did get someone to proc Duplicate on my Dr. Boom - ayy! They conceded right away.

Alur

Fan as analyst is peak Fan I think. Everything we always want his teams to be (successful) is happening here. Very surprised he's went so hard on criticizing some of these teams, notably Tempo Storm in this R20 series. He's calling em out like Dread does, but with reasoning and examples instead of simply exasperation and hand waving. Didn't think he had it in him cause he's so soft spoken. Also good to see he is speaking up more (as in louder) than when they were sitting at the roundtable thing in group stages.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I love playing Tyrande so much right now.

when I was playing her a few days ago, and I was ragging on her... and yet I kept coming back to her for some reason lol. She was actually kinda fun.

Im so into Abathur (again) tho, man I missed playing him. Just checked my win rate with him cause i've been winning a lot and its at a healthy 64% so I guess I do win a lot with him.

I was using Ultimate Evo just now, and one thing I do like about it is how versatile it is. You have multiple choices who to use it with, depending on what you need, you dont necessarely have to just use it on a dps or something. Pretty cool.

Heroes_of_the_Storm_06.17.2017_-_20.04.02.06.png

I finally lost a game with Malthael... It took a teammate to disconnect and we still almost won lol!

I am NOT a melee assassin player. I support and ranged flex mostly. He's just so good.

Death Shroud is a great talent btw. You zone the enemy team because they are afraid to step in it. You can split the frontline from the backline, and if they wade through it they get chunked hard whether you chose Soul Rip upgrade or Momento Mori. It's a fantastic lvl 20

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
just did a game with Cassia, hadnt played her since getting her to 5.

I dont get her. My dmg was awful, the trait seems super awkward, shes super squishie and is in that weird half range / half melee spot like Zul'Jin, but Zul at least has the stupid attack speed build up and the unkillble ult, Cassia has... fend, which everyone easily gets out of? Like I won but I felt I was a detriment, and I was clearly carried.

I'm sure im doing something wrong, but then again, the "I dont get Cassia" comments seem to be common around here :/

Alavard

just did a game with Cassia, hadnt played her since getting her to 5.

I dont get her. My dmg was awful, the trait seems super awkward, shes super squishie and is in that weird half range / half melee spot like Zul'Jin, but Zul at least has the stupid attack speed build up and the unkillble ult, Cassia has... fend, which everyone easily gets out of? Like I won but I felt I was a detriment, and I was clearly carried.

I'm sure im doing something wrong, but then again, the "I dont get Cassia" comments seem to be common around here :/

I don't know how to explain it, but Cassia feels great to me. There's a lot of whiffed fends that hit for only a tick or two, but then there's incredible ones that just melt the health bars of a clumped up group. And her trait, while awkward, does mitigate a ton of damage, and can also be used effectively to stall out certain objectives.

She also feels like she's really good counter-dive. Greymane, Illidan, and Butcher simply can not go in on her or a nearby teammate as long as she has her fend or her blind up and ready to use.

It's funny - I don't play dive heroes in general, and I'm usually below-average on ranged assassins, but something about Cassia just gels with me.

Rhaknar

yes

how the fuck is zuljin half melee?

hes not, but hes like in that mid range... you know what I mean damn it :p Like Rexxar.

Maybe I shoudl try some other build with her, I dunno. Does she have a Q build? :/

Ketch

Fan as analyst is peak Fan I think. Everything we always want his teams to be (successful) is happening here. Very surprised he's went so hard on criticizing some of these teams, notably Tempo Storm in this R20 series. He's calling em out like Dread does, but with reasoning and examples instead of simply exasperation and hand waving. Didn't think he had it in him cause he's so soft spoken. Also good to see he is speaking up more (as in louder) than when they were sitting at the roundtable thing in group stages.

where are the tempo R20 vods? id like to watch that

hes not, but hes like in that mid range... you know what I mean damn it :p Like Rexxar.

but zuljin has standard range, and then a lvl 1 quest to make it longer... so i dont know what you mean

Alavard

As a funny side point, Cassia is also actually the number one counter to The Butcher (she is his lowest winrate matchup). This is probably due to only only the counter-dive I mentioned earlier, but that talent of hers that automatically drops her blind everytime she's stunned or rooted.

Rhaknar

where are the tempo R20 vods? id like to watch that

but zuljin has standard range, and then a lvl 1 quest to make it longer... so i dont know what you mean

I havent played him in ages (I still dont own him) so I guess I'm misremembering

Rhaknar

4 game losing streak, feelsbadman.

2 with Cass (nope, dont get her), 2 with Alarak. Alarak for the starcraft daily, at least I was actually feeling him and doing better with him compared to the last time I tried him :(

But yeah, I think thats enough for late night HotS for now ;_;

ElyrionX

You want to go Flamestrike build but don't pick the Flamestrike quest at 1. It is high risk, high reward not recommended for new players. Pick Mana Addict, then pick range on E then Phoenix ultimate, Living Bomb and all Flamestrike Talents.

You always want to maintain distance from your opponent, never go in hard because they can kill you instantly. Be at a range where you can cast your spells but not closer unless securing kill.

Against waves you want to do D, W, W in a way that the two explosions hit most enemies. The cool down of W is reset because of the D. This is a bit more efficient that Flamestrike starting out, once you get the double Flamestrike you can just cast that. On tougher waves you can do the first combo and the Q to finish off stragglers.

In fights you want to try to snipe with your E. Have a D powered up, then E (to make it cost no mana as its expensive), Q, W on the target. You will do some nice damage and if teammates are around to follow up its a kill.

When you don't have E available, you want to be far away and press D into Q for AOE damage on team fights. The W has low range so it's risky trying to go in to put a W on a target but don't completely neglect it as when you get Living Bomb talent you get insane cool down resets.

Place Phoenix after your E lands or in the middle of an objective/team fight to zone out enemies.

This isn't an easy hero to play but man when you start rolling you can go hard on the enemy team. In smaller maps where enemies always go to a specific spot like Braxis, you can pick Flamestrike talent and get the quest filled up quick. You pretty much always win the gameif you complete that quest fast.

Thanks. Finally won a game LOL. It's a fun hero and suits my conservative play style.

Genji's definitely fightable, but the entire metagame has warped around his presence in a way that's really unhealthy. (D.VA, on the other hand, seems fine?)

The mobility that almost all of the Overwatch heroes have sort of renders slows kind of pointless as CC versus stuns and roots. Doesn't matter if you tag Genji with a slow if he can leap over terrain or immediately dash again.

I mean stuns and roots are always going to be preferable to a slow but they're rendered almost meaningless in the face of that kind of mobility.

Ketch

they really need a hero that punish multiple spells being cast

we need pugna ward and mana void and stuff

global silence

that kind of shit

Rhaknar

has the thread title been that since Chromie was released? :p

Alur

Not that long but it's been that a while. Maybe since the thread started, can't remember. It used to change every now and then but he doesn't anymore.

Maledict

The mobility that all of the Overwatch heroes have sort of renders slows kind of pointless as CC versus stuns and roots. Doesn't matter if you tag Genji with a slow if he can leap over terrain or immediately dash again.

I mean stuns and roots are always going to be preferable to a slow but they're rendered almost meaningless in the face of that kind of mobility.

Yeah, I do think they have gone too far with the Overwatch heroes mobility. Of the 5 overwatch heroes, 4 of them have mobility far above everything else in the game apart from Illidan, and it feels really bad because you're practically guaranteed to get one per match. They have done brilliant work in replicating the fee of the overwatch cast, but I worry they haven't thought as much about how *fun* they are like this.

(As before. I personally utterly loathe D.Va and think she's the worse hero introduced in the game full stop).

Dahbomb

My opinion on the Overatch heroes:

Zarya: Balanced hero. Boring but balanced.

DVA: I don't think DVA is particularly top tier but the hero is hella annoying to fight against and is a defacto noob killer. People don't know how to interpret that purple bar or to play around the cooldown of the booster. Your average pubber just can't ignore Dva either, they waste their damage/stuns on her despite her damage herself being pathetic. Dva is actually legitimately terrible without her booster, like once you see that move used you have free reign to go ham on the opposite team because DVA has no presence other than to waste her self destruct on you.

Lucio: This hero sucks. One of the worst supports in the game, pick literally any other support over him. Seems like his numbers are all wack but the design is fine.

Tracer: Seems very faithful to the original Tracer and is designed very well. Yea her mobility and evasion are off the rails... but that's literally all she has. Her damage isn't that high and she is super frail, once hits start landing on her she bleeds. It's not like she has an invincible parry to fall back on when she loses her mobility...

Genji: This hero is clearly over powered but at least he has a skill cap. The evasion/defense is kinda too much. You have Hop, the dashing strike and the parry on top of that... not to mention dashing strikes refreshing when he kills so he can easily dive for a finisher. Once you learn never to miss dashing strikes and learn to use your shurikens, this hero starts doing work. I am not sure how to change him without making him really bad to be honest. His damage isn't that high and needs some skill to output good damage from him so you can't really nerf him on his damage... you kinda have to go after his defense/evasion I feel.

Overall I don't have a big problem with the Overwatch heroes. I think most of they are pretty fun to play and add a nice flavor to the game.

I really need some advice with her, I find her so boring. I mostly play support though and want to get better with her. What build do you use?
E Quest
Q CDR
Trueshot Aura
Starfall
W Damage Reduction and Slow
Q Heal Increase
Nexus AA increase and Damage Reduction

Is the go to build. It's pretty straightforward attack and spam Q.

Starfall maybe better but I find the stealth speed ultimate so much more fun.

E quest is probably the second most fun part of her kit, the amount of damage those do on top of stunning once you're done, love it.

I wonder if the random E's on a random enemy talent benefits from the quest, I'm not sure I've ever tried it.

Alur

Wow. What a comeback. There is hope for us NA plebs yet.

EDIT:
Yoda with the MVP survival RNG play there while missing like every skillshot in the highlight rofl

Starfall maybe better but I find the stealth speed ultimate so much more fun.

E quest is probably the second most fun part of her kit, the amount of damage those do on top of stunning once you're done, love it.

I wonder if the random E's on a random enemy talent benefits from the quest, I'm not sure I've ever tried it.
Unless it says "untalented xyz" it should benefit.

Shadowstalk is just a 1v1 ability for a hero that's not supposed to fight 1v1.
You throw down area denial like Entomb and a Starfall + D E on top and you're gucci.

Yeah but stealthing around at mount speed 24/7 unmeasurable is fun! It's also fun to gank people with with quest buffed E's.

And cool, I might try that random E's talent out more then, looks like it could be a lot of free damage and CC in chaotic teamfights.

wtf is Dignitas doing? first they keep engaging with no mana and then when they finally back they do it right in vision of Fnatic allowing them to interrupt them 3 times or more in the process giving them like half a minute of free dps on the immortal.

So sloppy.

wtf is Dignitas doing? first they keep engaging with no mana and then when they finally back they do it right in vision of Fnatic allowing them to interrupt them 3 times or more in the process giving them like half a minute of free dps on the immortal.

So sloppy.
Yea I am a quick match only player and I couldn't understand the engaging with no mana. That ending was great though.

Ketch

E Quest
Q CDR
Trueshot Aura
Starfall
W Damage Reduction and Slow
Q Heal Increase
Nexus AA increase and Damage Reduction

Is the go to build. It's pretty straightforward attack and spam Q.

I actually like darnassus over trueshot at 4.

I feel like it adds a lot of self peal and is better for roaming ganks which is like the only thing she does now.

And at 20 the star fall upgrade is def worth mention. But I like that AA talent too. Especially with darnassus at 4.

Edit: about overwatch heroes: I think moving while shooting should not be in the game. It's too hard to balance because it's so hard to quantify.

But you'll notice how they all have really weak autos and basically they're stuck that way because of how powerful it can be to move while attacking from range.

It's hard to imagine tracer any other way, but I think it's actually pretty bad for Lucio and Dva. Like lucio needs better autos to be a good hero. Except they just shouldn't give that to him. So I feel like he'll be bad for a long time till they figure it out. Same with dva mech but I have other issues with her design.

Top Bottom