• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hex: Shards of Fate MMOTCG - Closed Beta Thread

Ryuukan

PSA: There will be a free swiss tournament tomorrow at July 26th at 11 AM Pacific (18:00 GMT) including HEX employees! Prize structure is as follows:

4 Wins - 12 Shards of Fate packs, 20,000 gold
3 Wins - 6 Shards of Fate packs, 10,000 gold
2 wins - 2 Shards of Fate packs, 5,000 gold
1 win - 1 Shards of Fate pack

No real reason not to play, even if you just have the starter deck! There is no cap on participants and if you face off against an employee you get a free draft and some packs!

Taken from: http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=37255

Server crumbled at 400 users on it an hour before the tourney.

EDIT: total flop, made an angry thread on the general forum

EDIT2: thread was locked by mod who invested over $5k into the kickstarter

Aselith

Yeah it sucks :( They're doing some Crypto employees in proving grounds random with prize codes if you want to try your luck there.

Edit: That thread was pretty over the top, ryuukan. I can understand why he locked it.

Kyuur

Getting compensated on Monday for my time, so I don't mind. I figure they will do this again like they did with 128 mans until stable. Who knows what the problem could be on their end. I agree it definitely shouldn't be crashing with only 500 people. They did say in the update that the next patch is also including improvements to their back-end infrastructure.

Ryuukan

Yeah it sucks :( They're doing some Crypto employees in proving grounds random with prize codes if you want to try your luck there.

Edit: That thread was pretty over the top, ryuukan. I can understand why he locked it.

I shouldn't make threads after surgery. Should be added to discharge papers

Ryuukan

if you were logged in during the free constructed event last week that didnt go off, you should've received the consolation prize of:

3x constructed queue tickets
1x schedule constructed queue ticket

gots mines

KuroNeeko

Just curious, but how are tournaments currently set up in Hex?

Is there still a 100 Platinum entrance fee? Do you bring your own packs into Draft? Are sealed tournaments played with starters or do you take in 4 boosters and build from there?

Are there free tournaments and do they have prizes? If so, do they still require that you supply the packs?

I still have about 90 or so packs worth of kickstarter rewards and am thinking about getting in on some sealed / draft tournaments since EVERYTHING ELSE seems to be taking forever and who knows if people will still be doing set 1 when set 2 comes out.

Really need to find another genre of game to like as you'll never be done spending money in a TCG. :/

Kyuur

That last RNG match was hilarious. Tectonic Rift and Transmogrifier are pretty cool, it's too bad they could never see common play.

Kyuur

Dual socket strat preview, dual resources, cards with charges and more, oh my!

https://hextcg.com/shattered-destiny-shards-and-sockets/

Busy reading through all the spoilers, getting 1 million ideas. Will make an inevitably large post soon.

Edit: Also I can't wait to do this

maxresdefault.jpg

with Fissuresmith.

Kyuur

I was going to do a big post up on my thoughts on spoiler cards.. but there are just too many of them! I'm really enjoying how this set is looking. The quicklook we got at PvE content earlier was pretty awesome as well.

One thing I've noticed is they're really expanding on the use of charge powers. Set 1 was pretty much just resources and charge bots. I expect we'll see a ton more charge power activation once set 2 has released.

Edit: Oh, and as JustProgress said, UI looks slick.

Xater

So I wanna give this game more of a shot now. Bought 1400 Plat and a vip membership. Also got two promo cards from Gamescom but I think those will start working once they put the new set out. It's a Jovial Pippit and a Brosi-Buk.

I am still waiting for the VIP thing to kick in so I can buy some cheaper packs and try my hand at some draft stuff. So far I have only played some matches with my Dwarf Starter deck.

Oh and I got like 8 beta codes from the devs during Gamescom, so if anyone wants in just PM me.

Aselith

Unknown at this point. The only way to get card packs is through platnium transactions currently. When there's a way to get gold for free you'll be able to go that route to some extent to get cards but I'd say it's much closer to Magic. Until everything's in there it's hard to judge the economy they set up though.

Ryuukan

How similar is this game to MTG or Hearthstone? Can you be competitive without paying?

it's similar to MTG, nothing like Hearthstone. The competitive side of the game will always require paying.

The free2play pve experience side of the game, as much as it pains to say, is still vaporware

I am still waiting for the VIP thing to kick in so I can buy some cheaper packs and try my hand at some draft stuff.

VIP gives you 1 booster a week for a month. You should have received the first booster right away.

KuroNeeko

Ryuukan, you're a braver person than I am for wading into the Hex forums. I want the game to succeed, but there's a lot of blind loyalty in that forum for the amount of content we've received.

I think I'll just slip back into lurker mode and they can keep their heads buried in the sand.

Aselith

Ryuukan, you're a braver person than I am for wading into the Hex forums. I want the game to succeed, but there's a lot of blind loyalty in that forum for the amount of content we've received.

I think I'll just slip back into lurker mode and they can keep their heads buried in the sand.

Most of these dudes are like Raid Leader tier or higher. One of the biggest proponents on there is hex_colin and dude put in 10k to get producer tier. Spend several hundred dollars essentially sight unseen and you bet your ass you'll be invested in it being the best thing ever.

That said I legit wish I had invested more because I really do enjoy the game even in its current state.

Haha even lurking is hard. There's definitely an interesting story behind the development of this game that I wish we could hear some day.

Aselith

Have they given any timeframe for when we slacker backers will get our 2 months of free VIP?

I would assume after they introduce the VIP touraments. It would be pretty shitty to give the free sub to people before they can take full advantage. I've been subbed since they opened it personally since the card packs are worth the price by themselves imo.

Kyuur

So Cory post confirms that open beta before PVE and Set 2.

Interesting since Set 2 is supposed to be August...fucking lel at that projection

Open Beta super soon, or everything delayed by months? Obviously hoping for the first one! I don't mind it starting before Set 2, just means there might be more people in the draft queues and big tournies to play! If they're delayed for any decent length well.. I'll be disappointed, but at least my wallet will be happy. I've all but stopped playing until Set 2 comes out. Maybe Vampire King and Mastery of Time will go down in price by then. :(

Open Beta super soon, or everything delayed by months? Obviously hoping for the first one! I don't mind it starting before Set 2, just means there might be more people in the draft queues and big tournies to play! If they're delayed for any decent length well.. I'll be disappointed, but at least my wallet will be happy. I've all but stopped playing until Set 2 comes out. Maybe Vampire King and Mastery of Time will go down in price by then. :(

Yeah I'm not upset about set 2 being after open beta but man...unless open beta is in the next week or two we could be looking at even more lengthy delays

KuroNeeko

Yeah I'm not upset about set 2 being after open beta but man...unless open beta is in the next week or two we could be looking at even more lengthy delays

Would you really be surprised?

There was an interview out there with Cory about PvE and how they're planning on implementing dungeons.

I felt both super-pumped and extremely skeptical at what he was promising. He emphasized that they were an extremely small development team so, I feel like with what they're trying to do, there's no way they're going to get that done any time soon.

Cory said that for him, PvP was the heart of the game, but PvE was the soul. Right now, this game has NO SOUL. I don't have the time to sit down and play a 3 - 4 hour tournament. I don't want to spend the money trying to collect ultra-rares to be competitive in PvP. I want to do raid-style dungeons solo (or with friends) and casual GAF tournaments.

Do eet, CZE!

Yeah I feel a tad foolish for diving into the KS so hard, but I think everyone's first KS donation usually backfires, lol.

I was always more excited about the PVE. I like playing against others yeah, but right now the main focus is tourneys and I don't care for those at all.

The game is quickly turning into one I'm losing interest in. I sort of came to the realization when the alpha hit. CZE just has too much on its plate to get this game anywhere soon. Probably best for me to just forget about it and come back in a year or two, assuming the lawsuit doesn't kill it. Do we even know anything about that?

Kyuur

Some new champions that were datamined. Subject to change before actual release, of course. Courtesy of Pheelon on the HEX forums.

Bunoshi the Ruthless
ShinHare, Male, Warlock
[BLOOD], [3]: Target troop gains permanent \"When this troop is destroyed, all other troops you control get -1[DEF]\"

Daughter of Stars
Coyotle, Female, Mage
[SAPPHIRE], [3]: Return target troop you control to your hand.

Sir Giles Rowan
Human, None?, Warrior
[RUBY], [4]: Name a race. Troops you control of that race gain permanent +1[ATK].

Rutherford Banks
Human, Male, Priest
[DIAMOND], [8]: Return target troop from your graveyard to play. It gets permanent +1[ATK]/+1[DEF].

Warmaster Fuzzuko
ShinHare, Male, Warrior
[WILD], [3]: Troops you control get +1[ATK]/+1[DEF] this turn.

Rowan seems ridiculously strong. Daughter of Stars has some cool combo potential, as does Bunoshi. And is it just me, or does HEX hate Diamond revival? They always makes it cost a ton, making it almost totally unviable in pretty much every format.

Some people might recognize my name from those forums. I was one of the few people over there incensed at the monetized closed beta that broke everything from the non-monetized alpha, the free platinum from clearly shady referral systems (Russian Brides!), etc. Considering they have de facto employees/brand warriors operating as mods, it went about as well as you could expect. It's just excuse piled onto excuse. Hard to blame them, since some of them spent $10,000 on this game, which is the most ludicrous thing I have ever heard in my life.

I left after one of the Hex Warriors threatened to out me and claimed I was illegally practicing law for trying to explain what the WOTC lawsuit was about. I came back once just to see if there had been any improvement, only to find out set 2 was coming out while it was still in closed beta, and there was no information on vaporware PvE.

I should have wised up and got a refund while they were offering them.

Some people might recognize my name from those forums. I was one of the few people over there incensed at the monetized closed beta that broke everything from the non-monetized alpha, the free platinum from clearly shady referral systems (Russian Brides!), etc. Considering they have de facto employees/brand warriors operating as mods, it went about as well as you could expect. It's just excuse piled onto excuse. Hard to blame them, since some of them spent $10,000 on this game, which is the most ludicrous thing I have ever heard in my life.

I left after one of the Hex Warriors threatened to out me and claimed I was illegally practicing law for trying to explain what the WOTC lawsuit was about. I came back once just to see if there had been any improvement, only to find out set 2 was coming out while it was still in closed beta, and there was no information on vaporware PvE.

I should have wised up and got a refund while they were offering them.

I remember you. I really enjoyed your law expertise, and very much remember the post that accused you of giving legal advice. Glad you're a member now!

Ryuukan

gaf is far more levelheaded about this kind of thing.

the biggest issue is that some of those backers view CZE as friends and family and feel guilty for any negative feelings towards them.

Woah, there were refunds available? I wish I had known that. Didn't donate much, initially had a much higher donation, but backed down to 35 before the kickstarter ended. Downloaded the alpha, wasn't all that impressed with what I was seeing, whenever I check up on this game I get less and less impressed. Still hope it turns out ok in the end, but yeah I suppose it was just a bit too ambitious in some ways.

Ryuukan

Woah, there were refunds available? I wish I had known that. Didn't donate much, initially had a much higher donation, but backed down to 35 before the kickstarter ended. Downloaded the alpha, wasn't all that impressed with what I was seeing, whenever I check up on this game I get less and less impressed. Still hope it turns out ok in the end, but yeah I suppose it was just a bit too ambitious in some ways.

They are very focused on getting new people into the game. That's why they keep hitting up all these shows and conventions. They know they can ignore their current fanbase because of how hopelessly dedicated or invested into the game they are.

They are very focused on getting new people into the game. That's why they keep hitting up all these shows and conventions. They know they can ignore their current fanbase because of how hopelessly dedicated or invested into the game they are.

Which is odd to me because the game is in a state where only someone who has already invested money can really enjoy it. The new client looks like a giant leap in polish, but for god's sake we still don't have trading. In a TCG!

Mr. Cory Jones himself confirmed that Open Beta is coming before PvE and Set 2, and we need to "trust" that he has "a reason" for doing it. Well, I should hope so. Given the way the rest of the development has gone, having to come out and say you have a reason to do something, but won't say what the reason is, speaks volumes.

http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=37585

The unstated reason is probably one or more of (1) Set 2 delayed, (2) PvE delayed (more so), and/or (3) legal bills.

He also said this:

HEX is not like any other free to play game, so applying any “model” to is a mistake, we are blazing a new trail and as such must find our own way

Is it just me, or is this the dumbest thing anyone has ever heard? There are a million crash and burn free to play games out there, compared to the handful of very successful ones. Maybe follow the lead of the successful ones?

Kyuur

Is it just me, or is this the dumbest thing anyone has ever heard? There are a million crash and burn free to play games out there, compared to the handful of very successful ones. Maybe follow the lead of the successful ones?

He isn't wrong. Copying a business model that might not fit your project simply because it worked well elsewhere is foolish. Hex's model is different than most free to play games simply because it is almost 2 games on it's own (PvP and PvE) with a currency system that is supposed to 'flow' between them. Can't think of anything else like that on the market.

Ryuukan

today's patch adds only adds the gencon 2014 promos

still no official word on Set 2 release since August sure isnt happening and open beta is supposed to be first

I guess just like with the tourneys at the start of beta and the AH, they're just going to turtle up until a feature patch is ready and not say a word other than "come pay to play at pax prime"

Top Bottom