• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hex: Shards of Fate MMOTCG - Closed Beta Thread

ultron87

Hmm, I wouldn't mind seeing a single free mulligan worked in somewhere. It makes mulliganing less punishing, helps against mana issues and shuffling time isn't an issue.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Hmm, I wouldn't mind seeing a single free mulligan worked in somewhere. It makes mulliganing less punishing, helps against mana issues and shuffling time isn't an issue.

I can see where you're coming from, but that is probably the current official mulligan rules for tournaments and whatnot. Other customizable games and even player made leagues will probably allow mulligan rule customization.

Proven

What are your favorite card games? Feel free to choose from both analog and digital!
To be fair, the first card game I got really into was Yugioh, and while I had fun playing the game, it also made me want to stay away from a lot of card games that didn't have systems in place to reduce luck beyond using tutor/search cards. Combined with playing pokemon starter decks when I was in elementary school, I became someone that really disliked mana systems similar to Magic.

The only other card game I ever dedicated a lot of time to ended up being VS. System, which while awesome as a game, having many mechanics and systems that eventually made their way into the WoW TCG, and getting me to dabble into comic, also ended up devolving into too many search effects for my tastes. It also had too many card sets coming out for me to keep up with.

I've been meaning to try Netrunner after reading up a bit on the rules, but I'd also need to get some local friends to play with me. So for now I just stick to Puzzle Strike (a deck building game).
The point of the mulligan system isn't just to help reduce the bad luck from bad draws, but to also punish you for in aggregate for bad deckbuilding.

Personally quite happy with how it plays at the moment and the potential here is immense :)

I am surprised at how powerful cards can get (a 0/1 rage turning into a 6/1 fairly quickly for example) so i would be concerned with power creep but overall a positive experience for me :)

NIN90

Boy, by the rate this is going I'll be lucky if I get in the alpha by the end of the month.

I do hope they'll sell different board skins in the future. I don't like the default one. I would pay good money for a nicely textured desk lol.

Shrennin

I do hope they'll sell different board skins in the future. I don't like the default one. I would pay good money for a nicely textured desk lol.

Different board skins are already confirmed. It was a KS stretch goal. As far as CZE selling them, right now CZE has said that the only thing they'll sell is premium currency which is used for packs and tournament entry fees. That means that the board skins will likely be unlocked, rewards for accomplishing things, or even possibly loot drops.

Aselith

Different board skins are already confirmed. It was a KS stretch goal. As far as CZE selling them, right now CZE has said that the only thing they'll sell is premium currency which is used for packs and tournament entry fees. That means that the board skins will likely be unlocked, rewards for accomplishing things, or even possibly loot drops.

They're selling VIP too though, right?

Man I hope that $250 tiers get in some time this week. I got into Hearthstone and it just doesn't have the level of interesting interaction that I want. It's good for something quick, but strategies are much more limited, which was obviously a goal of theirs so they succeed there. I just want a bit more meat on the bones, as they say.

Shrennin

They're selling VIP too though, right?

Yeah, I forgot about that but that's still in line with the packs. It is, after all, really just a pack discount. The bonuses for the VIP program include the exclusive VIP tournament and the goldfish feature, but the real reason to do the VIP program is for the pack discount.

Cory Jones of CZE has been very determined to make most things in the game earned by playing - even things like packs could be bought via auction house.

Shinjica

From the Hex forum, Alpha Q&A

From Twitter:

looks like alpha is Oct 8, beta before the end of the year. Game development is the hardest game of all. Sorry for the delay.
you'll receive your rewards at the beginning of open beta. you'll get your alpha invite via email used on KS or PayPal
you will get your alpha invite sometime this month, then rewards sometime during the beta. your paypal receipt is all you need
at this time. we are working on a timetable for Mac client and how quickly we can get that in parallel with Windows.
the emails are sent, so it depends on how long it takes to get there.
now that the CDN is upgraded, we're focusing on server load and stability. can't say anything for certain right now.
same URL. just on upgraded CDN so people aren't needing to "repair" the download. I was up and playing in less than 5 min today

I'm really happy if we can get the beta before the end of this year

Shrennin

E: hope we get an update. Have heard anything in a few days...

Most likely due to the weekend. The last update was the Friday update and we'll probably get an alpha-specific update tonight.

As far as beta releasing by the end of the year, I would be surprised too. That tweet was likely when the alpha date was first announced so I wouldn't be surprised if beta was delayed.

Luigi87

Yeah I'm not optimistic about the beta before the end of the year, but as long as the final product is that much better I'll be happy.

My concern is that it seems like there is going to be a surge of digital TCGs (Hearthstone, Scrolls, and now Riot seems to be possibly entering with a game called LoL: Supremacy) so it shall be a battle for each.

This card seems broken for constructed:

http://hextcg.gamepedia.com/Demented_Demolisher

Demented_Demolisher.png

Straight up REAL ULTIMATE POWER, there.

Minsc

Gold Member
Removes all resources from your deck. Aka no more dead-draws late game.

On the downside, if there's land/resource destruction, you're fucked.

I get the impression there's not much in terms of land destruction / spell countering / milling from the thread about it on the hex forums, being that hex is still in its infancy.

You can seemingly make a very mana heavy deck with this card (like 50%+ resources) and then cast that guy, and get a slimmed down to a very precise deck, getting perfect draws nearly every time.

I get the impression there's not much in terms of land destruction / spell countering / milling from the thread about it on the hex forums, being that hex is still in its infancy.

You can seemingly make a very mana heavy deck with this card (like 50%+ resources) and then cast that guy, and get a slimmed down to a very precise deck, getting perfect draws nearly every time.

Yeah, not a ton of resource destruction exists.

Minsc

Gold Member
Yeah, not a ton of resource destruction exists.

There's actually another thread on the forums right below that one about DD, here, again more or less about DD. Argument being he is extremely valuable in escalation decks, as you can use drawing cards after you void your resources and get enough escalation cards to see numbers in the millions... Don't know about millions, sounds like exaggeration, but probably darn high.

IllumiNate

He does seem really good, should be one of the more expensive rare cards going forward. His potential may not shine until next set. We shall see.

He does seem really good, should be one of the more expensive rare cards going forward. His potential may not shine until next set. We shall see.

Pretty sure his potential shines right now. You could literally do a deck with just land, 1 of the Demolisher, 1 Ragefire and/or any other Escalation card. Pack Rat level stuff. Mulligan until you either get the Demolisher or run out of mulligans. Play land until he is down, removing all lands. Only one or two cards in your deck are either direct damage or something else beneficial, and since it goes back into your deck, it is going to be your next draw. It's pretty crazy.

V_Arnold

This card seems broken for constructed:

http://hextcg.gamepedia.com/Demented_Demolisher

Demented_Demolisher.png

Straight up REAL ULTIMATE POWER, there.

I really do not want to complain about the balancing team, but this should not have survived the first indepth look at the abilities. I mean...someone brings the idea up, then it is dismissed. Unless there are downsides ( a card that throws all non-lands/non-mana cards from your deck until you find mana/land/whatever it is called?), this is just weird.

It is kind of cool in the sense that it's one of those things you could really only do in a digital space since you can't have people searching their deck for cards in real life.

What? Players do that all the time.

V_Arnold

Oh really how does that work? Doesn't that give them knowledge of what is coming up? Is the deck considered the hand? I thought it was the stack you draw from.

As mentioned before me, It is a lot of reshuffling. Or the ability is designed to allow you to peak, so you do not draw, but look.

Minsc

Gold Member
I really do not want to complain about the balancing team, but this should not have survived the first indepth look at the abilities. I mean...someone brings the idea up, then it is dismissed. Unless there are downsides ( a card that throws all non-lands/non-mana cards from your deck until you find mana/land/whatever it is called?), this is just weird.

This (Mana Severance from MtG) seems even more OP to me, it only costs 2 mana, and lets you selectively remove any/all lands (so you could leave yourself with just one color, none, etc), so I guess this sort of this isn't as unheard of as I thought.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
This (Mana Severance from MtG) seems even more OP to me, it only costs 2 mana, and lets you selectively remove any/all lands (so you could leave yourself with just one color, none, etc), so I guess this sort of this isn't as unheard of as I thought.

MtG has land destruction though... (Violent Ultimatum, etc) Whereas I haven't seen such a thing in Hex yet.

V_Arnold

Yes, in a proper context, it is not unheard of. The question is whether the basic metagame has drawbacks for this kind of thing. In Magic, for example, you have tons of land destroy, so this kind of behavior can be risky. Also, you lose the game the moment your deck is emptied out, so that is another danger. If both options are not present for all/other colors in Hex starter, then the ability is too strong. And the card you linked would be even more strong in such a metagame, true.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I like the suggestions made in the thread. E.g. the card's flavour text becomes "void all resources while this unit is in play" or "at the beginning of your turn, void X resources"

So it's not an extremely powerful sorcery, basically.

Shrennin

The good news right now is that if the Demolisher is too powerful, it can be changed. CZE has only committed to not adjusting cards once they are in the ownership of the player. In alpha, and perhaps even into beta before the KS rewards are handed out, cards could very well be changed. After that, cards will simply be banned if they prove to be game breaking.

Shrennin

Yeah I'll be very disappointed if we don't get anything today. Communication hasn't been stellar thus far, so I'm not holding my breath.

I don't know about that. Communication certainly hasn't been bad - they've managed to always have an update on Friday and, at least every day since alpha last week excluding Friday to possibly today, there has been an alpha specific update (and sometimes more than one per day).

As for the delays - those things happen in game development. I would rather they delay things than release a game in an unfinished state. They've also been very upfront in that regard too. I think they are learning to actually be less upfront when it comes to announcing their own personal deadlines until after they happen due to the delays that happen in game development - for instance, CZE said that they will most likely not announce when wave 2 will happen until after the invites have been sent in case delays do happen.

Compared to other Kickstarters communication has been stellar (and compared to game development in general it has been way above the bar for obvious reasons).

I don't know about that. Communication certainly hasn't been bad - they've managed to always have an update on Friday and, at least every day since alpha last week excluding Friday to possibly today, there has been an alpha specific update (and sometimes more than one per day).

As for the delays - those things happen in game development. I would rather they delay things than release a game in an unfinished state. They've also been very upfront in that regard too. I think they are learning to actually be less upfront when it comes to announcing their own personal deadlines until after they happen due to the delays that happen in game development - for instance, CZE said that they will most likely not announce when wave 2 will happen until after the invites have been sent in case delays do happen.

Compared to other Kickstarters communication has been stellar (and compared to game development in general it has been way above the bar for obvious reasons).

I think post-Alpha communication has been subpar. Just want a sense of what they're looking at and how they're feeling about stability, bugs, features, etc.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Which $ tiers are in yet?

Shrennin

I think post-Alpha communication has been subpar. Just want a sense of what they're looking at and how they're feeling about stability, bugs, features, etc.

Hopefully we'll get that this week - not necessarily promises like when the next waves or so will release (because we won't get that) but I agree that it would be nice for CZE to comment on that. With that said, the alpha just released this past Tuesday, so it's very possible that data is being collected and that data will be commented on this week.

50$ tiers still not in?

Slacker backers or the actual $50 KS tier? In both cases, neither are in yet. According to the timeline CZE originally released, slacker-backers should be in in a few weeks (which means all tiers should be in within a few weeks) but things do change and the alpha as it is doesn't seem that stable at the moment. Granted, things have certainly gotten more stable over the few days though so it is improving.

Hopefully we'll get that this week - not necessarily promises like when the next waves or so will release (because we won't get that) but I agree that it would be nice for CZE to comment on that. With that said, the alpha just released this past Tuesday, so it's very possible that data is being collected and that data will be commented on this week.

True that. And I agree with the reluctance of giving out promises, I'd like them but I know they can't predict or keep them. All I want is like "hey we're working on this bug and stability is decent once the bug is fixed we'll evaluate waves" not just "I dunno".

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

Slacker backers or the actual $50 KS tier? In both cases, neither are in yet. According to the timeline CZE originally released, slacker-backers should be in in a few weeks (which means all tiers should be in within a few weeks) but things do change and the alpha as it is doesn't seem that stable at the moment. Granted, things have certainly gotten more stable over the few days though so it is improving.

Actual 50$ KS tier. Someone said that they had no real timeline and might add new tiers daily so I am just checking back. Thanks for the answer :)

Shrennin

True that. And I agree with the reluctance of giving out promises, I'd like them but I know they can't predict or keep them. All I want is like "hey we're working on this bug and stability is decent once the bug is fixed we'll evaluate waves" not just "I dunno".

Yeah, I agree with that. I would really like to know where they feel they are at right now - whether or not the alpha followed their expectations in terms of stability, function, and whatnot or if it needs more work than originally thought. I will say that if we don't hear anything about that this week, then I will feel that the communication is lacking in that regard.

Actual 50$ KS tier. Someone said that they had no real timeline and might add new tiers daily so I am just checking back. Thanks for the answer :)

No problem! One thing to note is that the alpha is very much an alpha so you're not really playing the game so much as actually testing it. It is a very fun game and I think this game is going to be truly special with polish, but the alpha is definitely not stable enough to really enjoy it. When games do work, they are great though. The next wave, by the way, will be the $250 tiers, so based on that I think King tiers are next and they may even include one or two tiers below the King level so you may get in on the 4th or 5th wave.

Yeah, I agree with that. I would really like to know where they feel they are at right now - whether or not the alpha followed their expectations in terms of stability, function, and whatnot or if it needs more work than originally thought. I will say that if we don't hear anything about that this week, then I will feel that the communication is lacking in that regard.

No problem! One thing to note is that the alpha is very much an alpha so you're not really playing the game so much as actually testing it. It is a very fun game and I think this game is going to be truly special with polish, but the alpha is definitely not stable enough to really enjoy it. When games do work, they are great though. The next wave, by the way, will be the $250 tiers, so based on that I think King tiers are next and they may even include one or two tiers below the King level so you may get in on the 4th or 5th wave.

Our wish is Crypto's command:

"Hey all. We collected a ton of great data from you all this weekend and through that we discovered four bugs that were causing stability problems, the "Pass Priority" button disappearing, and the "this user is already logged in" error. So, that's great. We're testing fixes over the next day to see if our proposed fixes solve the problems at hand. Thank you for all your help in that and we'll have another update tomorrow should we make some progress on that front."

Top Bottom