• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hex: Shards of Fate MMOTCG - Closed Beta Thread

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I agree, MTG has a high bar set now, but as stated before, early MTG art had equal parts amazing and horrible

Demonic Hordes and Force of Nature being two rares I remember with really bad art

Animate Wall is still my favorite Magic art ever. And yeah, art doesn't usually bother me that much in new CGs because I know that that's the kind of thing that really needs a budget if you're going to match up. What really bugs me is thematic mechanical resonance, this is a huge problem I perceive in a lot of new card games I try and don't get into. Hex actually looks alright about this so far, albeit in a fairly vanilla way, but for their first few releases that's totally acceptable.

Draxal

Best thing about current magic art is the planes theme/ blockw. Don't like the current art? Just wait for the next block, with a completely new setting. Kinda wish the main system in this game was not so setting specific.

The Technomancer

Best thing about current magic art is the planes theme/ blockw. Don't like the current art? Just wait for the next block, with a completely new setting. Kinda wish the main system in this game was not so setting specific.

Magic was for like eight years as well. These guy might switch it up even earlier. I certainly hope they do. Switching both your visual direction and your mechanical theme at the same time is one of the best ways to make a new set of cards feel like a distinct entity and not just "more cards"

Ryuukan

Magic was for like eight years as well. These guy might switch it up even earlier. I certainly hope they do. Switching both your visual direction and your mechanical theme at the same time is one of the best ways to make a new set of cards feel like a distinct entity and not just "more cards"

Yeah, there was a pretty steady story in MTG and then they retconned all of it

Proven

It could be just a coincidence, but I've noticed that whenever the globe is shown off, you only ever see the northern hemisphere of the planet. And who knows how much of the planet we'll traverse, considering that this first set has more of its focus on about half the races. Then there are all the underground races, there will probably be a couple underwater races down the line, and since the Hex Comet came from space the sky isn't even the limit.

And for a base set, you can't focus too much on a theme as you're focusing on putting out as much support for as many different types of decks as possible. Wait until Set 2 or maybe even Set 3.

The artwork I like, but mostly because I see "generic DnDish"-ness in Magic more than I see it in Hex. I don't follow Magic so there could be a lot of stuff I've missed, but this holds for at least the set that released 3-6 months ago. The one about the guilds that came out closest to the big tournament over the summer.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Having played a lot of SolForge lately, I can tell you that you couldn't be more wrong. :)

I haven't played for a very long time so consider me corrected! I just thought that's the way it was going based on when I played.

What paying for packs gives you, on the other hand, is more options. But that's not pay-to-win at all. Or if you believe it is, then a game like Hex would pretty much fall under the same definition.

I meant that there are different sized packs for different prices rather than one universal pack for one price. I wasn't too big a fan of that concept.

Yes, the main point was the guy with 500 Hex starter packs is going to have a huge advantage over the F2P user who earned some currency by trading cards to get a minimalist deck of commons/uncommon and some rare cards. But even in PVE, the big spender with all the Lotus cards and exclusive PVE cards and exclusive health/card enhancing bonuses will bring a lot more to the table than the f2p player with a dozen hours to their account.

I still don't think the backers will have that big of an advantage. Maybe early on, but as the game progresses there are going to be easy ways for totally F2P players to at least acquire everything they might need for at least one competitive deck.

Btw, have they decided on the reward system for Hex (PvE and PvP) and, if so, is there a description of it somewhere?

PVE cards are given out via the single-player quests, dungeons, and raids. They will also be available in the player auction house and for trade.

PVP cards are bought via packs, which can be purchased with real money. The PVP cards and packs both can be acquired through the auction house or trade, won through tournaments, gotten through chests (only the packs, I think).

Each pack comes with a treasure chest that has its own rarity and can include a myriad of prizes including packs, mercenaries, sleeves, event rewards, maybe even PVE cards, and much more.

The (unopened) chests themselves can also be bought (for gold or the premium currency used to purchase packs, entry fees, VIP) or traded from player to player as well.

As for an (official) description of it - I don't believe all that information is available from one source. Maybe the FAQ on the official forums might have it.

The Technomancer

It could be just a coincidence, but I've noticed that whenever the globe is shown off, you only ever see the northern hemisphere of the planet. And who knows how much of the planet we'll traverse, considering that this first set has more of its focus on about half the races. Then there are all the underground races, there will probably be a couple underwater races down the line, and since the Hex Comet came from space the sky isn't even the limit.

And for a base set, you can't focus too much on a theme as you're focusing on putting out as much support for as many different types of decks as possible. Wait until Set 2 or maybe even Set 3.

The artwork I like, but mostly because I see "generic DnDish"-ness in Magic more than I see it in Hex. I don't follow Magic so there could be a lot of stuff I've missed, but this holds for at least the set that released 3-6 months ago. The one about the guilds that came out closest to the big tournament over the summer.

Yeah, it goes back and forth. Some sets, like Ravnica, skew towards the more traditional:
feat214a_vitu_ghazi.jpg

Other times they go more distinct, such as the metallic Mirrodin:

or the excellently realized gothic horror of Innistrad:
jhvcretfxgcfvnbnukcjhdjhd.jpg

stf167_stalking.jpg

stf165_warden.jpg

StMeph

Despite the subject matter being somewhat stale, the quality of the art in MTG is way better than HEX, in my opinion.

Brakara

I meant that there are different sized packs for different prices rather than one universal pack for one price. I wasn't too big a fan of that concept.

Fair enough. If there was only one pack, though, it would be the $2 normal one. So in that regard, just think of the other two packs as more options.

Anyway, thanks for the reward description. Sounds good.

The Technomancer

Despite the subject matter being somewhat stale, the quality of the art in MTG is way better than HEX, in my opinion.

Well yeah but its going to be, that was my point earlier. If in eight years Hex is still around and successful with this level of art quality I'll complain, but for a new card game from a small studio its perfectly serviceable.

For now, that's fine. The kickstarter money should be spent on building a quality digital TCG platform. Future revenue streams and sets will hopefully fund a more coherent visual / art style.

Haha, appears there was some shitstorm on the forums where some CZE employee came and cleared the air about recent updates (or lack thereof). Strongly hints at news in the update about a patch for Thursday:

"Maybe that'll be in the 6 PM update. Again, we committed to doing nightly updates. The updates will happen at night, sometimes during the day if we have something breaking to share. As for how that was released, it shouldn't have been shared with anybody as people shouldn't feel that some users have "inside information" while the rest of the community is left out.

Edit: That CZE employee certainly didn't mean any harm by sharing that information. It was just casually said in a game of HEX, and that community member was doing a kind act in trying to quell some of the tension here. I don't think anybody did anything wrong, but that CZE rep was reminded of some of the unintended consequences of these things."

http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=28321&page=19

Shrennin

Anyway, thanks for the reward description. Sounds good.

No problem! I wasn't sure if I answered your question regarding the reward system because I wasn't sure what part of the reward system you meant exactly but if you have anymore questions then I can probably answer them because I've kept up on this game lol

Haha, appears there was some shitstorm on the forums where some CZE employee came and cleared the air about recent updates (or lack thereof). Strongly hints at news in the update about a patch for Thursday:

"Maybe that'll be in the 6 PM update. Again, we committed to doing nightly updates. The updates will happen at night, sometimes during the day if we have something breaking to share. As for how that was released, it shouldn't have been shared with anybody as people shouldn't feel that some users have "inside information" while the rest of the community is left out.

Edit: That CZE employee certainly didn't mean any harm by sharing that information. It was just casually said in a game of HEX, and that community member was doing a kind act in trying to quell some of the tension here. I don't think anybody did anything wrong, but that CZE rep was reminded of some of the unintended consequences of these things."

I definitely understand CZE's sentiments regarding lack of updates with the alpha build. Things literally do change within hours of development - new bugs are found, old bugs cannot be fixed at the time originally thought, or even bugs that couldn't be fixed are fixed in a shorter time frame. There are so many variables in play where the game is at right now. With that said, I can definitely tell that the game is improving. I think, like CZE said, that once things get a lot more stable then the information will be flowing from CZE.

Minsc

Gold Member

People just need to step back and realize a week, or even a month doesn't make or break their lives. I get the impression that some people are just way too close things like this sometimes. Though it's easy to say this being a bit removed personally (I'm looking forward to Hex, but don't spend hours a day on their forums or anything), but if you're getting that heated up, it's definitely a sign you are a bit too close for your own good.

Shrennin

People just need to step back and realize a week, or even a month doesn't make or break their lives. I get the impression that some people are just way too close things like this sometimes. Though it's easy to say this being a bit removed personally (I'm looking forward to Hex, but don't spend hours a day on their forums or anything), but if you're getting that heated up, it's definitely a sign you are a bit too close for your own good.

Yeah. You can't blame CZE for wanting to withhold projected info now due to people planning vacations around it. That's crazy for any game, especially one in alpha.

Draxal

Yeah, but I do understand the people being upset right now; they shouldn't have promised to give alpha access so freely during the kickstarter.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Yeah, but I do understand the people being upset right now; they shouldn't have promised to give alpha access so freely during the kickstarter.

But... they ARE giving out alpha access. Just not all at once.

Patience is a virtue. Kickstarter is kickstarter, NOT "buying a product". That's... the quintessential idea behind kickstarter.

CZE's biggest problem was estimating Beta at September then switch that guess to Alpha. For one, you're on the hook for the estimate whether or not it's an estimate or set in stone. At some point it moves from poor timing estimates and "lol game development" to incompetence. I don't think at current that CZE is there, but I definitely see why some KSers and Slacker Backers are upset.

KHarvey16

Umm...anyone who thinks anything called an estimate is set in stone is an idiot, frankly. I have no sympathy whatsoever for people whining about this. No one paid for alpha or beta access on a specific day, they paid to have it period. And we're all gonna get it.

Smiley90

Umm...anyone who thinks anything called an estimate is set in stone is an idiot, frankly. I have no sympathy whatsoever for people whining about this. No one paid for alpha or beta access on a specific day, they paid to have it period. And we're all gonna get it.

I can't help but laugh at "omg I paid to have alpha in September if I'd known I wouldn't get Alpha until October I wouldn't have paid 120.- for the kickstarter"

like... REALLY?

Draxal

But... they ARE giving out alpha access. Just not all at once.

Patience is a virtue. Kickstarter is kickstarter, NOT "buying a product". That's... the quintessential idea behind kickstarter.

Like I said, they underestimated the demand for Alpha/Beta access and gave it out too freely. If it was for high kings and up only, I don't think it would have been a big deal (and i'm at the 250 range so I would have been locked out).

They tried to monetize alpha access with the kickstarter and slacker backer, and it ended up biting them in the ass, and it's something that Corey supposedly says he regrets doing.

KHarvey16

Like I said, they underestimated the demand for Alpha/Beta access and gave it out too freely. If it was for high kings and up only, I don't think it would have been a big deal (and i'm at the 250 range so I would have been locked out).

They tried to monetize alpha access with the kickstarter and slacker backer, and it ended up biting them in the ass, and it's something that Corey is on record stating that he regrets doing.

He regrets doing what?

Draxal

He regrets doing what?

Giving alpha access to so many tier levels/slacker backers. Trying to find the source right now but it was hearsay by another hex poster on the official boards. Going to edit the original post to take the on record part away. I meant to say off the record as it was hearsay as I recall it.

KHarvey16

So, when are we allowed to complain about the state of the game's development then?

You can complain about anything whenever you'd like. On the other hand, if you'd like to help realize value from your contribution either to the kickstarter or the slacker backer you should offer constructive feedback in the Alpha and Beta forums when the time comes.

Giving alpha access to so many tier levels/slacker backers.

Can you cite the quote? You can still purchase the slacker backer with alpha access.

Smiley90

So, when are we allowed to complain about the state of the game's development then?

You can complain about anything whenever you'd like. On the other hand, if you'd like to help realize value from your contribution either to the kickstarter or the slacker backer you should offer constructive feedback in the Alpha and Beta forums when the time comes.

This, basically. You're free to complain whenever you like, but the "I wouldn't have paid for funding for this project if I'd known my alpha access would be a month delayed" argument is just... wat. It's Alpha. It's not the end of the world if you get in a month late because servers can't handle it just yet.

Smiley90

I feel like a large number of you kickstarted a game without being aware of the volatility of software engineering/game development.

Ha, I'm really surprised people here aren't holding CZE accountable for anything.

I think people don't understand what kickstarter is supposed to be about. It's NOT a glorified pre-order platform. I think that's the biggest misunderstanding leading to all these complaints.

There's nothing for them to be held accountable for.

Exactly.

Draxal

Can you cite the quote? You can still purchase the slacker backer with alpha access.

I"m honestly looking for it, but I can't find it now (like I said in the the previous post before this). He didn't say it on the record (that was me typing tired) and it was buried in one of the complaint threads as hearsay.

Anyway, newest update while I was searching for the quote.

I'm closing it because of the general attacks, trolling that's going on this thread. Reposting what I said in a similar thread below.

----------------

We informed people for weeks leading up to the alpha on how we would go about distributing invites. We couldn't throw all 20,000 people at an untested server, and some people have hit the nail on the head here in terms of server load causing some bugs on its own. We decided to put the Grand Kings through Producers on first, but everyone will eventually get in. HEX will exist for years. Waiting a week or a few weeks for alpha access-- to a client that exists for testing-- is such an small percentage of how much time you'll be spending on this game. And our engineers are dedicated to getting the hardware stable in order to allow the next group of players into to the game.

We update nightly, sometimes twice a day if we have something relevant to say. We're averaging more than two posts per workday. These updates are a culmination of multiple people's workday, and sometimes the answer is "we can't say for certain that this will work." Fixes are tested by QA people in a staging environment, then implemented should those fixes work and not break anything else. For example, anybody who played the Gen Con build will recognize that one of these builds clearly caused us to lose some functioning cards, which we eventually need to bring back once we've gotten more backers into the server.

These unknowns prevent us from being able to project, promise specific dates about alpha access. That's just the nature of the beast. Certainly, being able to give everyone a date and being able to predict with reliable accuracy the dates we'd be able to allow people into the server would make everyone's job here much easier. But there are so many pieces in play that we're not able to give dates at this time, and to give hard dates on speculation, guesswork would show a lack of respect from us to the community. We recognize that people make plans based on dates given, and I respect that any date we give at this point must recognize that. Once we're able to safely add users to the server, we will do so. There is no scenario where we can add users and don't add those users immediately. I apologize that we can't give you specific dates at this time, but really, it's just not possible. When we can give dates, we will do so instantly. My fingers will be typing so fast on my keyboard to update the forums, Kickstarter page that they'll catch fire.

As far as funds being spent, the Kickstarter funds were used to staff up, finish the game, order art, and the like. A CZE employee paid for the puppy party out of his own funds. The HEX Con funds sit in an account, waiting to be used. Any suggestion that funds were used for anything else than HEX is ridiculous. It would be wildly illogical to have a successful Kickstarter, have people excited about a project, and then use that money to do anything other than get that product launched. It would also be dishonest, fraudulent. Consider the matter of discussing this in particular closed.

A reminder that for all alpha updates, you can read the Alpha forum here: http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=27943

My only complain is that they had to do a better job of estimating their times, which they have stopped doing now as they are no longer releasing public estimations.

KHarvey16

I"m honestly looking for it, but I can't find it now (like I said in the the previous post before this). He didn't say it on the record (that was me typing tired) and it was buried in one of the complaint threads as hearsay.

Anyway, newest update while I was searching for the quote.

My only complain is that they had to do a better job of estimating their times, which they have stopped doing now as they are no longer releasing public estimations.

They have never offered any estimate or guess without multiple qualifiers and other reminders regarding the fact they're describing software development and that nothing is set in stone. I remember all of the kickstarter updates and they have never sugar coated or avoided telling anyone who would listen that nothing is certain when it comes to development. My biggest complaint regarding these complaints is that no one ever listens, and that is a big part of why no one ever opens up alpha clients to the public.

I feel like a large number of you kickstarted a game without being aware of the volatility of software engineering/game development.

Shouldn't CZE be aware of the volatility that you speak of? And not estimate beta for their product in September?

Sure, the consumer has to be aware of the circumstances but it seems to me that some of y'all want to exonerate the company of any blame.

They have never offered any estimate or guess without multiple qualifiers and other reminders regarding the fact they're describing software development and that nothing is set in stone. I remember all of the kickstarter updates and they have never sugar coated or avoided telling anyone who would listen that nothing is certain when it comes to development. My biggest complaint regarding these complaints is that no one ever listens, and that is a big part of why no one ever opens up alpha clients to the public.

That's untrue. If you are a slacker backer, and just click the link from their website to "donate" then you received no warning.

Smiley90

Shouldn't CZE be aware of the volatility that you speak of? And not estimate beta for their product in September?

Sure, the consumer has to be aware of the circumstances but it seems to me that some of y'all want to exonerate the company of any blame.

We are NOT customers. We are backers. There is a difference. We back the project in hopes of it coming to fruition, because we want the developers to succeed. We did NOT pay to buy a product incl. benefits. If you did, you misunderstood what kickstarter is about.

Can we complain if things are going slow? Sure.

Can we claim that they OWE us something? No.

Draxal

Which is what should have happened here, and saved them some grief.

"Shouldn't CZE be aware of the volatility that you speak of? And not estimate beta for their product in September?"

It's not like people expect to run into major setbacks and even when you do account for that, that doesn't mean that your estimate would be enough. It's something completely unpredictable.

"Sure, the consumer has to be aware of the circumstances but it seems to me that some of y'all want to exonerate the company of any blame."

Blame for...what? They estimated beta in September, it missed that date (by quite a bit). It's not like they missed the date because they misused the funds. It's not like they missed the date because they decided to fuck off and stop working (well maybe, I dunno, I don't work in their office). There's literally been no wrongdoing.

KHarvey16

Which is what should have happened here, and saved them some grief.

I agree it would save them from having to deal with ridiculous expectations from the ignorant masses but the value in opening up the servers to larger groups this early in the process is obvious.

We are NOT customers. We are backers. There is a difference. We back the project in hopes of it coming to fruition, because we want the developers to succeed. We did NOT pay to buy a product incl. benefits. If you did, you misunderstood what kickstarter is about.

Can we complain if things are going slow? Sure.

Can we claim that they OWE us something? No.

Wat. Can you give me 120$ please for a project? And I don't have to owe you anything.

Please describe for me what is missed there.

That stipulation is new. Prior to the alpha delays, it said October.

Haha this whole thing is funny. I dont think CZE is doing anything wrong, I'm just playing devils advocate because the arguments bein present are mind boggling to me.

Draxal

Blame for...what? They estimated beta in September, it missed that date (by quite a bit). It's not like they missed the date because they misused the funds. It's not like they missed the date because they decided to fuck off and stop working (well maybe, I dunno, I don't work in their office). There's literally been no wrongdoing.

Some of the grief that they are getting is because of the puppy party (which probably had non-essential game dev staff and attending the various summer cons (which they have to do Gencon is too big of a thing not to go. It's just unfortunate timing for them. People are just wound up way too tightly right now.

Honestly, if I was to be pissed off at anything about hex is that getting the convention exclusive mercenaries is gong to be a complete pita.

Smiley90

Wat. Can you give me 120$ please for a project? And I don't have to owe you anything.

Start your own kickstarter campaign, if you have a convincing project that I'd like to see succeed, I'll happily give you 120.-

All you'll owe me is that you'll try your damn hardest to make it succeed.

And we can't fault CZE for not trying hard, because there's literally nothing indicating that they haven't.

Proven

Haha this whole thing is funny. I dont think CZE is doing anything wrong, I'm just playing devils advocate because the arguments bein present are mind boggling to me.

But your counter points are just as mind boggling to everyone else. From what I remember, you keep going back to, "They said this would happen at this time," and the response is "They said that with qualifiers, tried their best, and didn't make it."

What else do you want? For some of us to be mad? For us to deride them?

I for one can't really do either. The money has already been spent, this came from a kickstarter, and they're aiming to be the #1 TCG in the digital space. There's nothing to be done but to let them do their thing. Especially since every piece of communication they give tries to show us that they're doing their best and want to respond properly to the faith we paid them.

Shrennin

That stipulation is new. Prior to the alpha delays, it said October.

Nothing that they have promised in the initial KS has been broken yet - I believe the original alpha KS stretch goal didn't even include a date. It just said that backers would get early alpha access.

All their estimated projections have been outside anything to do with backing the project itself - they haven't used the projected dates as incentives to back Hex. It was more or less to keep current backers in the loop.

I still regret the loss of many of the diverse styles that were present early on (especially from some really talented artists like Quinton Hoover, Phil Foglio, Anson Maddocks, Drew Tucker, etc.) but overall the art is far, far better now than it was when the game began.

Are Rebecca Guay and Richard Kane Ferguson still doing art for Magic? Along with some of the ones you mentioned, those were always my favourites back when I was still playing.

Ferny

I got the King tier, but I'm going to most likely just sell everything for cheap. Don't really have time to play this at all and rather give someone else a good deal on all the stuff.

KuroNeeko

Yeah, I'm disappointed that beta (or even alpha for that matter) hasn't started yet for my backer level, but I'm not going to sweat it. Kickstarter exists to help developers get their games made. You are not a customer, you are a patron. Developers can add certain rewards to help sweeten the pot, but the money you paid should go to creating the game.

Basically, a dev says, "Hey, I'm thinking about making this game about a man with split personalities that expresses himself through sock puppets. Doesn't that sound cool? If you think you'd like to play it, can you help me get it made?"

Everything else that comes after that is just a bonus. It's not a pre-order. You're funding the game because you want to see it made (or improved.)

Stretch goals make the whole thing messy, but the basic premise doesn't change.

Honestly, I'm not even that interested in PvP. I'd rather use my starter packs to played sealed deck and then concentrate on PvE and more casual tournaments with GAF / Friends. Highlander, Tribal, Pauper, and 5-color just sound like a lot of fun.

Constructed sucks.

I backed at King because it would let me play lots of Sealed cheaply and I can hopefully use the Garden to fund further Sealed tournaments and cards for PvE. That's it.

Shinjica

I backed at King because it would let me play lots of Constructed cheaply and I can hopefully use the Garden to fund further Sealed tournaments and cards for PvE. That's it.

There are so many people with lotus garden so i dont think, in early day, will be a good way to fund your tournament and cards.

Some of the grief that they are getting is because of the puppy party

People who bitch about this sort of thing are the worst kind of useless waste. The people who handle social media at my company had to plow through big walls of threats and harassment when we posted a photo of an office celebration while we were late on shipping a product people were waiting for. Never mind that keeping up staff morale is an important part of shipping a product or that people outside the company have no way of knowing how hard everyone is working in the moments outside the photos -- nope, fuck those guys because they had a puppy party. So dumb.

Are Rebecca Guay and Richard Kane Ferguson still doing art for Magic? Along with some of the ones you mentioned, those were always my favourites back when I was still playing.

Nah. I think the last time either contributed anything was Time Spiral, which at this point was like seven years ago.

Top Bottom