• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hey GAF, let's make an RPG Maker Game Competition!

legacyzero

Banned
You know what.. FUCK PIXEL ART. I'm going the hand-drawn route. Looks better, and I have better control over detail.

Original Pixel Art method took me most of the day and looks like shit:

iGLdeOAY6EPQy.png

Hand-drawn took me a little over an hour. Full PNG:

ibczLehVFdedNm.png

Actual game size:

ibiPtvgD22tO0o.png

Does that look better?

I need some opinions. I'm trying to consolidate to make things "feel" better and ensure that players feel like they're playing an actual game, not some shitty shit shit I made. So I defer to you guys:
6vMO26F.png

Which do you feel looks better?
There are things in both that I like. I actually don't like the blue border in the 2nd one, and if the goal of going in there is to talk to those old guys and nothing else, the 2nd probably works better.

But the 1st would be a lot easier to walk around in and just looks more logically arranged, not to mention you could have stuff stashed in the fireplace for example (or an item on the piano) which would make walking around it more worthwhile and easy to do b/c you've got enough space in there. One thing I hate most in any game is getting stuck on shit for no reason, sometimes it's the difference between life and death x3.

I say go w/ the 1st but keep the positions of the fireplace and piano from the 2nd.

EDIT: I went back and read some of the other suggestions too; I do agree that size-wise the 2nd works better, it's more intimate. Maybe you can find a way to combine the layout of the 1st with the smaller spacing of the 2nd w/ about the same room for movement as the 1st. And the border, I guess that could stay, but at least it could be a different color?

Anyhow, this project looks neat and I'll keep an eye on the thread. Wish I could come up w/ something but I don't know how to use RPG Maker and don't have the free time to make something in it. Maybe could chip in w/ some art tho.

orioto

Good Art™
Hmm that would be the occasion to finally force myself to try somethong with rpg maker.. But that's challending and the writing is a problem, (the language) while i definitly want to create the stor (and the concept). Maybe i can find help i don't know..

Great idea anyway!

LuffyZoro

There are things in both that I like. I actually don't like the blue border in the 2nd one, and if the goal of going in there is to talk to those old guys and nothing else, the 2nd probably works better.

But the 1st would be a lot easier to walk around in and just looks more logically arranged, not to mention you could have stuff stashed in the fireplace for example (or an item on the piano) which would make walking around it more worthwhile and easy to do b/c you've got enough space in there. One thing I hate most in any game is getting stuck on shit for no reason, sometimes it's the difference between life and death x3.

I say go w/ the 1st but keep the positions of the fireplace and piano from the 2nd.

EDIT: I went back and read some of the other suggestions too; I do agree that size-wise the 2nd works better, it's more intimate. Maybe you can find a way to combine the layout of the 1st with the smaller spacing of the 2nd w/ about the same room for movement as the 1st. And the border, I guess that could stay, but at least it could be a different color?

Anyhow, this project looks neat and I'll keep an eye on the thread. Wish I could come up w/ something but I don't know how to use RPG Maker and don't have the free time to make something in it. Maybe could chip in w/ some art tho.

The blue border is just a transparency marking, it would be back in-game unless otherwise specified.

ZServ

As the poster above me has said, the blue will be black in game. It's a transparency marker :).

bxhRpM8.png

This is what I currently have. This layout work for everyone? :)

As the poster above me has said, the blue will be black in game. It's a transparency marker :).

bxhRpM8.png

This is what I currently have. This layout work for everyone? :)

This might sound like me being picky but in a normal restaurant, usually having tables that close to the door would be bad (Since you wouldn't want people eating near drafts coming in or people walking through), even though I know you can walk through the chairs and what not and it's functional already. I think moving that bottom table a little more to the left by a tile or 2 (but it shouldn't be so close to the kitchen), depending on which one looks better can work.

ZServ

This might sound like me being picky but in a normal restaurant, usually having tables that close to the door would be bad (Since you wouldn't want people eating near drafts coming in or people walking through), even though I know you can walk through the chairs and what not and it's functional already. I think moving that bottom table a little more to the left by a tile or 2 (but it shouldn't be so close to the kitchen), depending on which one looks better can work.

Done!

The big thing that makes it look off is that there's suddenly a "void" of empty space there-- you've got a 2x3 area with nothing happening. You move that table set over one tile, though, and now it's a 1x3 area-- a walkway.

I just made a really awesome credit sequence using a great song.

No, I'm nowhere near done with my game yet. I just like to program the credits early on so I can keep track of accountability.

If I don't win the competition, I'm going to win "Best Credit Sequence" for sure. You guys CAN'T MATCH my credit sequence! Mwahahaha~

I just made a really awesome credit sequence using a great song.

No, I'm nowhere near done with my game yet. I just like to program the credits early on so I can keep track of accountability.

If I don't win the competition, I'm going to win "Best Credit Sequence" for sure. You guys CAN'T MATCH my credit sequence! Mwahahaha~

As long as your credit sequence isn't as long as a Ubisoft/EA one, then you got no complaints from me! But you have to remember to credit your caterers and the guy who brings you coffee in the morning.

Anteo

I was completly disapointed in how the paralyze skill worked on the engine (anyone affected can't move, instead of a chance of not moving which I prefer) so I started messing around with the code and I got something I'm pretty happy with, so if anyone wants to use it, here is it.(Also, I'm just learning ruby, so I think I got the whole "alias" thing wrong)

A couple of things: it will probably work badly with other code that modify the battle system, and you need to know beforehand the id of the state, by default the id is 7 (the number beside the name of the state).

Edit: Of course forgot the most important part, you need to turn the Paralyze state into a dummy state (i.e. remove the move restriction so units can attack, and maybe remove the other features too as paralyze takes away the target avoidability)

Edit2: Some small changes. Also, you can change the values CHANCE and TEXT to whatever you need

Code:
module Paralyze
  STATUS_ID = 7  # the ID of the status, by default 7
  CHANCE = 50 # out of 100
  TEXT = " can't move!" # message when battler cant move
end

# Adding a method to show the "can't move" message
class Window_BattleLog < Window_Selectable  
  def display_cant_act(subject)
    add_text(subject.name + Paralyze::TEXT)
  end
end

# We modify the process_action method to add a check for the paralyze chance
class Scene_Battle < Scene_Base  
  alias process_action_consider_paralyze process_action
  def process_action    
    return if scene_changing?
    if !@subject || !@subject.current_action
      @subject = BattleManager.next_subject
    end
    return turn_end unless @subject
    if @subject.current_action
      @subject.current_action.prepare
      if @subject.current_action.valid? 
        #Here we check the paralize chance
        if @subject.state?(Paralyze::STATUS_ID) && (rand(99) + 1 < Paralyze::CHANCE)
          @log_window.display_cant_act(@subject)
        else
          @status_window.open
          execute_action
        end
      end
      @subject.remove_current_action
    end
    process_action_end unless @subject.current_action
  end
end

esterk

I was completly disapointed in how the paralize skill worked on the engine (anyone affected can't move, instead of a chance of not moving which I prefer) so I started messing around with the code and I got something I'm pretty happy with, so if anyone wants to use it, here is it.

Code:
module Paralize
  STATUS_ID = 7  
  CHANCE = 50
  TEXT = " can't move!"
end

# Adding a method to show the "can't move" message
class Window_BattleLog < Window_Selectable  
  def display_cant_act(subject)
    add_text(subject.name + Paralize::TEXT)
  end
end

# We modify the process_action method to add a check for the paralize chance
class Scene_Battle < Scene_Base  
  alias process_action_consider_paralize process_action
  def process_action    
    return if scene_changing?
    if !@subject || !@subject.current_action
      @subject = BattleManager.next_subject
    end
    return turn_end unless @subject
    if @subject.current_action
      @subject.current_action.prepare
      if @subject.current_action.valid? 
        #Here we check the paralize chance
        if @subject.state?(Paralize::STATUS_ID) && (rand(99) + 1 < Paralize::CHANCE)
          @log_window.display_cant_act(@subject)
        else
          @status_window.open
          execute_action
        end
      end
      @subject.remove_current_action
    end
    process_action_end unless @subject.current_action
  end
end

A couple of things: it will probably work badly with other code that modify the battle system, and you need to know beforehand the id of the state, by default the id is 7 (the number beside the name of the state).
That's a good idea. I may try this, but I am using a modified battle system (I think it's the ace battle system?) so I'll see if I can get it to work.

Anteo

That's a good idea. I may try this, but I am using a modified battle system (I think it's the ace battle system?) so I'll see if I can get it to work.

I'm checking the Ace Battle System right now and it seems that it didnt override process_action at all, so it should work just fine. I was messing around with that system earlier but decided to not use it for now

After having a short look around for good WorldMap tileset, I've decided that there aren't any. So, I'm going to bin the WorldMap and just have Zelda style zonal hubs all linked together.

ZServ

Hrm. Anyone know how to up the steps between encounters past 999? I need random encounters to be "run into." I have an enemy event that runs around and when it touches the player becomes a random battle, but I'm concerned about those oddballs that WILL take 999 steps and get a random battle.

Edit: Got it. Have to set the enemies to be a certain region and then set all traversable area to be that "region."

Filaipus

Banned
You know what.. FUCK PIXEL ART. I'm going the hand-drawn route. Looks better, and I have better control over detail.

Original Pixel Art method took me most of the day and looks like shit:

iGLdeOAY6EPQy.png

Hand-drawn took me a little over an hour. Full PNG:

ibczLehVFdedNm.png

Actual game size:

ibiPtvgD22tO0o.png

Does that look better?

You can still pixelate them with pretty nice results if you want to keep the style (and it allows for you to not have to care so much about the quality of your drawing, making the whole process faster.)

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Here's a series of things RPG Maker games have gone on to turn into. A few that I know of, at least. Keep in mind, I'm talking official stuff, not really cool fan film remakes, fan art, countless fan games, and the like some of these games receive. Notable, a lot of them were RPG Maker horror games:

-Corpse Party has gone on since it's original 1996 game to go on to get a remake on PC (in Japan) and PSP, which has spun-out a number of sequels, an official manga adaption, a prequel single-episode anime OVA, and a four-episode anime OVA adaption.

corpse-party-blood-covered-2620913.jpg
Corpse-party-tortured-souls-ova-pre-release-seventhstyle-008.jpg

Corpse Party's manga and OVA anime.

Palette (a 1997 Japanese RPG Maker game) won a game development contest, and used the funds it won to make a PSX remake.

580825_22373_front.jpg

PSX cover for the remake, "Palette: Forget Me Not".

Yume Nikki has gone on to get a lot of official merchandising, and recently got an official manga and novel adaption.

pins.jpg
MFpACLi.jpg

Some Yume Nikki phone merchandise and the manga cover.

Witch's House got an official prequel novel.

cover_m.jpg

Official prequel novel cover.

Ao Oni got a manga and is now getting a film.

Ao-oni-cover.jpg
10169232_698226263570840_4927117545771908997_n.png

Ao Oni manga cover and film teaser.

There's other stuff, but these are things I know off the top. Interestingly, a lot of what I posted only happened in the last year. RPG Maker games have gotten a lot more popular in the East (and West as well) in the last two years.

ZServ

Woo! Combat is well into development. :) Got enemy encounters set up the way I like too. Hope I can finish the town today. That'd be swell.

And that's it! The Humble Weekly Bundle is now over!

I hope everyone who purchased a copy of RPG Maker VX Ace to participate in this competition has already done so, because RPG Maker VX Ace is usually quite expensive ($70).

ZServ

Woo! The coming weeks will be interesting as we start seeing screenshots and eventually demos. How's everyone doing thus far? I'm really into my project personally. Couple kinks to work out but they're above my level so I'll have to do research.

esterk

I've got the first cutscene and that's it, haha. I've been working the crap out of my art assets, since I'm an artist and want them to look as good as possible. Also, trying to figure out how to use parallax mapping is driving me insane, but I'm so close to figuring it out I don't wanna give up.

Oh and I picked up 3 extra VX Ace keys from the Bundle so if anyone wants a copy that missed the deadline, PM me. I'll update this post when they are all gone. However, I only want these keys to go to those who are going to compete - not to anyone who just wants to have the program.

Edit: all gone! Good luck to those who got them!

Woo! The coming weeks will be interesting as we start seeing screenshots and eventually demos. How's everyone doing thus far? I'm really into my project personally. Couple kinks to work out but they're above my level so I'll have to do research.

Let's see...

I've done a bunch of test scripting to make sure that I can program the cutscenes / dialog / battles / whatever in the proper manner when I finish writing everything.

I've completely nailed down the plot, character graphics, setting, general level designs, custom UI systems, etc. I even created an awesome Credits sequence.

Now I'm really just spending time writing the plot / dialog. It's more of a story-heavy game than a gameplay-heavy game, so story really is crucial to the whole experience.

Later in the month I'll begin programming everything and formally designing levels using various graphic sets.

In terms of dedication I am SO PUMPED about it right now that finishing it seems to be a 100% certainty for me. Everything's falling into place quite nicely, and I'm really proud of the ideas I came up with for it!

Can I use different tilesets together? Like can I use the default ones for a room then import something else and not have it replace what I already used?

KiraFA37

Thanks for the feedback legacyzero and VandalID. I just decided to buy it and look a bit around, developing seems pretty straightforward. Think I'm going to mess around a bit before deciding, mostly with the scripting a bit. Ruby looks interesting, reminds me of Haskell for some reason.

Anyways, start small if you haven't tried RPG Maker before. Don't start with Fire Emblem. Start with Dragon Warrior.

What's the fun in that? I need a good excuse to learn Ruby. Luckily somebody already implemented a turn-based system, dude put a lot of effort into it.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I missed this :( why didn't I see this thread sooner?!

If you plan to enter the contest, you can PM esterk above. He nabbed three copies for people who plan to enter to PM him for.

Can I use different tilesets together? Like can I use the default ones for a room then import something else and not have it replace what I already used?

You most certain can mix, but if you replace a tileset that's already used it will write over what you already have in place.

If you want a specific sprite, you can use eventing (as events can have their own sprites).

If you plan to enter the contest, you can PM esterk above. He nabbed three copies for people who plan to enter to PM him for.

You most certain can mix, but if you replace a tileset that's already used it will write over what you already have in place.

If you want a specific sprite, you can use eventing (as events can have their own sprites).

Cool thanks. I just started to dive right in last night.

kogasu

Soo I saw some of the other composers doing it and thought I might try my hand at making some music as well. There were certainly a few firsts for me because I've never actually done a loop before but I've tested them out and they seem to work fine. Also they are in .ogg format for easier use.

https://soundcloud.com/kogasu/the-winds-of-might
https://soundcloud.com/kogasu/clash

I have more ideas brewing so hopefully I can get done with some and have a bit more variety heh.

esterk

Soo I saw some of the other composers doing it and thought I might try my hand at making some music as well. There were certainly a few firsts for me because I've never actually done a loop before but I've tested them out and they seem to work fine. Also they are in .ogg format for easier use.

I have more ideas brewing so hopefully I can get done with some and have a bit more variety heh.
Wow these are fantastic! They sound really great - mind if I possibly use Clash? It has just the right vibe for a segment of my game.

belushy

Banned

Just wondering what you use to make this music? Like do you have a keyboard, or do you have a neat computer program for it?

Is there some kind of free program I can use to make music?

EDIT: Ok found the links in the OP but this stuff is way out of my league...lol.

kogasu

Just wondering what you use to make this music? Like do you have a keyboard, or do you have a neat computer program for it?

Well... both of those actually. I use Reaper, which is a DAW, and in that program, I use the sequencer and either my keyboard or different virtual instruments I've found throughout the internet. I also, of course, use it to record audio as well like guitar and such.

belushy

Banned
Well... both of those actually. I use Reaper, which is a DAW, and in that program, I use the sequencer and either my keyboard or different virtual instruments I've found throughout the internet. I also, of course, use it to record audio as well like guitar and such.

Just found out my sister has a keyboard. A little dusty but it should work. Reaper is kind of out of my budget though sadly. Gonna see what I can do with this old thing.

There are very good video tutorials of how to use the system in the OP definitely.

I tried to get through some of those and failed. I couldn't take their speaking voice.

I've been screwing around and I've got a little farther. This weekend i played to throw something together just to see if I can get a good mental image of how this is suppose to work.

esterk

finally figured out parallax mapping, so now I'm gonna try painting all my maps. It may be way too time-intensive and may bloat the exporting filesize more than I want (since each custom map is technically 4 image files), so we'll see.

Mentok

Banned

Insanely good! How long did it take you to whip up?

belushy

Banned
You know, I had an adventure game in mind, but I want to see if I can make a city building game (example: Banished, Sim City, Tropico.) I'll probably fail miserably, but I think it would be a neat challenge.

esterk

You know, I had an adventure game in mind, but I want to see if I can make a city building game (example: Banished, Sim City, Tropico.) I'll probably fail miserably, but I think it would be a neat challenge.
Oh man that sounds awesome. Go for it! I wanna play it now!

Top Bottom