• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zen said:
The BR partners should be concerned with the sales of HD-DVD players, stand alone versus Standalone they're being outsold and that shouldn't be happening. A lot of people are using their PS3's as BR players but they have to be more price competitive to HD-DVD if they want to crush them. Otherwise this will drag out even longer either way.

I don't think they have much to worry about, as long as software sales are that lopsided and player prices are on a sharp downward slope, which they are.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
jjasper said:
Updating the firmware is a pain in the ass. I spent 45 minutes last night trying to get my HD-A2 up to date, but I couldn't get the damn thing connected to the internet kept saying about not finding the server. I eventually got pissed and quit.

You can get the ISO from Toshiba's site and burn it to a DVD-R:

http://209.167.114.38/support/ceg/downloads/index.asp

I haven't downloaded any since getting my player and am hesitant to in case some issue arises, as the firmware can't be rolled back. The stuff works fine right now, so is there a legitimate reason to be doing these updates?

As for that Frys sale: spread the love to HD, you slags! That's the one struggling, not Blu-Ray. Mark that shit down and clear it out! I WANT TO BUY.

Hotarubi said:
You can get the ISO from Toshiba's site and burn it to a DVD-R:

http://209.167.114.38/support/ceg/downloads/index.asp

I haven't downloaded any since getting my player and am hesitant to in case some issue arises, as the firmware can't be rolled back. The stuff works fine right now, so is there a legitimate reason to be doing these updates?

As for that Frys sale: spread the love to HD, you slags! That's the one struggling, not Blu-Ray. Mark that shit down and clear it out! I WANT TO BUY.

You'll need to update to the latest firmware to utilize the web content functions of upcoming online titles (Blood Diamond, 300).

It also fixes the chroma bug issue (from DVD upscaling) which I found distracting (on top of some playback problems).

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
The Main Event said:
You'll need to update to the latest firmware to utilize the web content functions of upcoming online titles (Blood Diamond, 300).

It also fixes the chroma bug issue (from DVD upscaling) which I found distracting (on top of some playback problems).

Why is it that these discs that need X firmware can't have the bloody firmware on the disc itself?

That's just non-sensical yo!

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Eggo said:
Saw Black Snake Moan on HD-DVD last night. The picture quality is great and the movie is... well, different. Entertaining, but I would not want to own it. You also get to see HD boobies, which is always nice.

I saw this yesterday too, and it was definitely different. I loved it though, I'll probably add it to my collection by years end.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Those web features don't mean anything to me, since a) my A2 isn't even connected online, and b) they could really release these discs feature-free and it wouldn't bother me... Just give me the movie. That said, I do want to fix that chroma issue, so I'll have to grab the update at some point.

Zen said:
The BR partners should be concerned with the sales of HD-DVD players, stand alone versus Standalone they're being outsold and that shouldn't be happening. A lot of people are using their PS3's as BR players but they have to be more price competitive to HD-DVD if they want to crush them. Otherwise this will drag out even longer either way.

That's in April and May only. HD players definately DO NOT have 70% overall foothold. And with the cheaper Blu-ray players in June, this was Toshiba's last chance at getting anything positive from their price drops because it certainly doesn't seem to have any effect on the movie sales.

DarkJediKnight said:
That's in April and May only. HD players definately DO NOT have 70% overall foothold. And with the cheaper Blu-ray players in June, this was Toshiba's last chance at getting anything positive from their price drops because it certainly doesn't seem to have any effect on the movie sales.

In other words, last-ditch PR before the next player sales numbers hit, including the cheaper Sony player.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Eggo said:
I contributed to the blue Pac-Man today. Bought the following Blu-Ray movies from Frys Brick and Mortar:

Curse of the Golden Flower $12.50
Memento $12.50
Kung-Fu Hustle $12.50
Phantom of the Opera $13.99

They're having a crazy Blu-Ray sale this weekend. It feels like liquidation.

Those are what sale prices should be for High Def movies

Crayon Shinchan said:
Why is it that these discs that need X firmware can't have the bloody firmware on the disc itself?

That's just non-sensical yo!

Well movie players aren't designed like videogames systems where every players are built exactly the same, so the same firmware update cannot be used on every players. Even though only Toshiba are making HD DVD players (and the LG combo player), they already have like 5 different models available from 1st and 2nd generation. Imagine having Toshiba asking Universal and Warner Bros to put firmware updates from 5-6 different players currently on the market on all of their upcoming online titles. And what if the firmware wouldn't be ready at the time the discs are being pressed, delay the titles?

That kind of thing is just impossible, it would be movie studios and player manufacturer's worse nightmare.

Suikoguy said:
Those are what sale prices should be for High Def movies

Exactly. And that's what they'll need to be for them to gain ground on standard def dvds.

It's been discussed before, but that's where the real competition is, if HD media is to ever get out of the Laserdisc HT niche. I don't personally have a problem with it being a HT enthusiast's product, but that would most likely mean less deep-catalog titles in HD, unfortunately.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
The Main Event said:
Well movie players aren't designed like videogames systems where every players are built exactly the same, so the same firmware update cannot be used on every players. Even though only Toshiba are making HD DVD players (and the LG combo player), they already have like 5 different models available from 1st and 2nd generation. Imagine having Toshiba asking Universal and Warner Bros to put firmware updates from 5-6 different players currently on the market on all of their upcoming online titles. And what if the firmware wouldn't be ready at the time the discs are being pressed, delay the titles?

That kind of thing is just impossible, it would be movie studios and player manufacturer's worse nightmare.

Too bad firmware updates can't function like codec updates.

But yeah, of course firmware would differ from model to model, much less manufacturer to manufacturer. Wasn't thinking in the right frame of mind.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Yeah, the burn is fine; it brings me to the "continue with update? yes/no" screen, but after I start it, the player kicks me back to an error code screen -- but not the error mentioned on Toshiba's site. Helpful. :\

Hotarubi said:
Yeah, the burn is fine; it brings me to the "continue with update? yes/no" screen, but after I start it, the player kicks me back to an error code screen -- but not the error mentioned on Toshiba's site. Helpful. :\

I would try to contact them with the error code and maybe order a firmware disc from them.

rkenshin

I'm planning on getting the Matrix on HD DVD but my question is, I have the Ultimate version on DVD so can I forego buying the Ultimate version (any extra features missing from my already owned set) on HD DVD and just get the Complete Trilogy version instead?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Get the Trilogy for sure. Non of the other stuff is in HD. Only the movies iirc. I have the Matrix Trilogy, and the discs have a bunch of extras, including in-movie experience special features, so I don't feel like I'm missing anything. Plus, you get a voucher for Animatrix on Xbox Live.

Brofist

Matrix said:

check out the user review in the blu-ray link. wtf is this guy going on about. :lol

I saw this when it was in theaters and it was f**king awesome. it had alot of action in it. Anyone who saw GLADIATOR would like this one. In my opinion this one should be a contender for at least the Best Animated Picture Oscar if not Best Picture. my intent is to purchase this on Blu Ray as I have a PS3. let's hope it's compatible with the hardware as Sony never built HD DVD into it and i can't afford the HD DVD add on for my Xbox360 this year :( Other than possible PS3 compatibility issues which i hope there are none because i am looking forward to owning this animated masterpiece. You hear me Sony or do i have to stop buying your products altogether like i did with Mel Gibson movies after his drunken racist tirade?

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
oh man thats awful :lol :lol :lol

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I can't believe they're still pushing those combo discs. Half the movies I want to buy are still $28 even online thanks to that stupid flip side. Meanwhile, I'm still glaring at that goddamn Fry's sale.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
Anyone knows if Remastered Fifth Element is region free?

Amazon says it is, and I have put an order in already as a result... but their region coding charts look a little fishy...

Crayon Shinchan said:
Anyone knows if Remastered Fifth Element is region free?

Amazon says it is, and I have put an order in already as a result... but their region coding charts look a little fishy...

I wouldnt worry.

If its advertised and doesnt work they take it back with all costs.

M3wThr33

Banned
070614.png

http://www.tvpredictions.com/hddvd063007.htm

Washington, D.C. (June 30, 2007) -- HD DVD owners will soon be able to re-edit movies, download trailers and participate in online polls.

The interactive features will be found in new HD DVD discs that will take advantage of the player's Internet connection.

For instance, the HD DVD of the ancient war drama 300, which will be released in late July, will allow viewers to re-edit the film by rearranging the order of scenes.

After re-ordering the scenes, the final edit can be uploaded to an Internet server where other HD DVD owners can watch it. The feature will not be available on the Blu-ray version of the disc.

Blood Diamond, which stars Leonard DiCaprio and will be released on HD DVD on Tuesday, will allow viewers to participate in an online poll after watching it.

HD DVD backers hope that the format's interactive features will give it an edge over Blu-ray which recently has enjoyed a 2-1 lead in title sales.

The Sony-backed Blu-ray this month also won a major victory when Blockbuster decided to carry the format exclusively in 1,450 stores.

But Kevin Collins, director of HD DVD evangelism for Microsoft, tells the Associated Press that more HD DVD players have been sold than Blu-ray (not counting the PlayStation 3 console, which has a Blu-ray player inside.)

"We've sold more players, which is what studios are really looking at," Collins said.

Toshiba last week also said it would keep the price of its entry-level player at $299 to spur more sales. That's $200 less than the entry-level Blu-ray player from Sony.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
that is so
not
worth $4

although, it is better then previous efforts

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Hmm... dilemma... do I buy the edit-able version of 300 or do I support the Blu Pac-Man version? The HD-DVD is a combo disc that also plays on regular DVD, or are they both combo discs? I may have to spring for the HD-DVD version to see what that gimmick is about. I'd edit out the boring Sparta sequences for sure.

PS360

Banned
"We've sold more players, which is what studios are really looking at," Collins said.

Yes, the studios get really excited when people buy players made by electronics companies but not the movies made by the movie studios themselves. Because, you know, the movie studios just want to see the player manufacturers make money. They're selfless like that.

Suikoguy

Eggo said:
Hmm... dilemma... do I buy the edit-able version of 300 or do I support the Blu Pac-Man version? The HD-DVD is a combo disc that also plays on regular DVD, or are they both combo discs? I may have to spring for the HD-DVD version to see what that gimmick is about. I'd edit out the boring Sparta sequences for sure.

Well, if you thinking in the now, no question but to get the HD-DVD version. On the other hand if you are an intelligent longterm thinker.. the answer should be obvious as to which version to get.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
300 blu-ray is timed for release almost perfectly when i should be getting my new reciever. :drool:

captive

shidoshi said:
What?? HD-DVD has online polls?? That's it folks... the war's over.
Im totally selling all my BRDs, the end is near folks, ph34r teh online pollz.

Please answer without fanboyism:

Is BR about to be the winner, or are we still in the middle of the format-war?
I prefer HD-DVD, but, well...i dont have to have a player that´ll be dead in a year or so ^^

mollipen

MasterMFauli said:
Please answer without fanboyism:

Is BR about to be the winner, or are we still in the middle of the format-war?
I prefer HD-DVD, but, well...i dont have to have a player that´ll be dead in a year or so ^^

If I were betting, my money would (and will in a couple months) go on Blu-ray. Clear winner at this point, though? I'd say no. There's no way I can see HD-DVD "winning," though: either we're going to have a two-format situation for a while, or it's going to be Blu-ray only.

Wait a month or so. If this Blockbuster thing and the newly-cheaper Sony player are not just noise, but in fact are tipping the scales, it should be even more obvious with just a little more time. If the current trends continue for a month and there's no huge Megaton type annoucements, I think it'll be safe to call BluRay the winner.

Alcibiades

Eggo said:
lol, I was thinking the same thing regarding 300...

if they let me edit out the wife sequences (which are NOT in the graphic novel), I think I'd like the movie better (as it is I love it)...

problem is, I don't know if they'll go by chapters or more exact editing... I want to edit the movie so the story still makes sense, but none of that political and wife doing business scenes...

Ponn

Banned
Hotarubi said:
I can't believe they're still pushing those combo discs. Half the movies I want to buy are still $28 even online thanks to that stupid flip side. Meanwhile, I'm still glaring at that goddamn Fry's sale.

I remember last summer when the "format war" was starting the whole combo disc was supposed to be a selling point because "I can loan my disc to my DVD only friends or take it to their houses". Yea.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
The Main Event said:
For a movie that's coming out in about a month, both HD DVD and Blu-ray version sure move up at a record pace on Amazon.

http://image.bayimg.com/ha/dn/ca/ab/a.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I thought we've established Amazon was fairly useless for analyzing how well something is selling...

XMonkey said:
I thought we've established Amazon was fairly useless for analyzing how well something is selling...

It should be, seeing how titles that don't show up on the list at Amazon end up selling even better.

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/film/story/2007/07/01/amazon-hd-films.html#skip300x250

Amazon.com Inc. will begin selling high-definition independent films in the HD-DVD format through its on-demand DVD printing service, the company said late Sunday.

The web retailer said it will waive processing fees for the first 1,000 films
it accepts for production by its CustomFlix Labs Inc. subsidiary. Microsoft Corp. will supply the necessary technology — VC1 high-def video encoding software and the HDi program used to package the film and extra features on the disk.

Microsoft's Amir Majidimehr, corporate vice-president for the consumer media technology group, said 90 per cent of HD-DVDs use Microsoft's encoding and interactive programs, and that Amazon's support could help extend the format's reach.

"We believe in this format. We're really committed to HD-DVD," he said.

With CustomFlix, when a customer buys a movie, it kicks off an automated process that copies the film onto a disk and puts together the packaging on the spot. The company did not provide details as to how many customers have used CustomFlix to buy on-demand DVDs, or how much an on-demand HD-DVD might cost.

Amazon said it will offer Sundance Channel's Big Ideas for a Small Planet series via the on-demand service.

The web retailer currently offers more than 300 HD-DVD titles for sale on its site, and more than 400 that use the competing Blu-ray DVD format championed by Sony Corp.

The two formats have been duking it out since last year. Studios hope the high-definition discs, with sharper picture and more room for interactive special features and games, will replace standard-definition DVDs. Blu-ray and HD-DVD formats are incompatible, and neither type of disk can play on a regular DVD player.

In June, Blockbuster Inc. decided it will rent only the Blu-ray format in 1,450 stores when it expands its high-definition selection, dealing a blow to the HD-DVD camp.

Currently, all major studios except one are releasing films in Blu-ray, with several, including The Walt Disney Co., releasing exclusively in Blu-ray.

Only Universal Studios, which is owned by General Electric Co., exclusively supports HD-DVD. Warner Bros., a unit of Time Warner Inc., and Paramount Pictures, which is owned by Viacom Inc., release films in both formats.

captive

Ponn01 said:
I remember last summer when the "format war" was starting the whole combo disc was supposed to be a selling point because "I can loan my disc to my DVD only friends or take it to their houses". Yea.
Haha this is a reason i like blu-ray, i cant loan them to friends cause none of them have players.
I have way more movies than all my friends and they are always asking me to borrow them, so this is great for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom