• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
VanMardigan said:
Ok. I hope to hit up the usual spots (Best Buy, Target, Virgin in downtown) and hopefully find some bargains. I'll let you know if I do, and please let me know if you find any.

Will do. I've been meaning to check out FYE downtown, also.

jet1911

The Main Event said:
I just buy them from Amazon, HDaddicts, DeepdiscountDVD, DVD Pacific, etc...you'll pay a lot less especially with the current strong CAN dollar.

I mostly only buy catalog titles here.

Thanks! Just ordered Hot Fuzz and 300 from DVD Pacific. :)

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I saw Big Lebowski HD DVD this weekend. First time I'd ever seen this movie, too. I loved it, and the picture looked great. I'll see if I can find this cheap along with 40 year old Virgin.

Oni Jazar

Here were the titles that were released for the 61/39 split:

Blu-ray:

(Nothing)

HD DVD:

* Billy Madison (Universal)
* Dante's Peak (Universal)
* The War (Universal)
* The Wedding Date (Universal)

Friday (hopefully) we'll see the results for:

Blu-ray
The Fifth Element (Remastered) (Sony)
Premonition (Sony)
Waiting... (Lionsgate)
Wild Things (Sony)

HD DVD:

(Nothing)

ManaByte

Gold Member
Saw the Disney Blu-Ray Mall Tour yesterday in Temecula, CA.

There are two PS3s and one standalone player on each side of the display. The PS3s are running Pirates 1 and 2 and the interactive games on them. The standalone player is running a looping video trailer for the Cars Blu-Ray.

On the back of the display is a screen with a standalone player running trailers for Disney movies on Blu-Ray while a ditsy rent-a-model with a microphone preaches the virtues of Blu-Ray off a cue card to the crowd trying to figure out what it is they were trying to sell.

ManaByte

Gold Member
More stuff on the 300 Extras:
http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s...rst_Web-Enabled_Transaction_Opportunities/793

In another high-def first, Warner says it plans to utilize web-enabled features on its upcoming HD DVD edition of '300' to sell film-themed ringtones and cellphone wallpaper to the movie's next-gen fans.

As we've previously reported, Warner plans to release two separate-but-unequal next-gen editions of '300' on July 31st. While both the Blu-ray and the HD DVD editions will feature a wealth of supplements, the HD DVD will boast several exclusive interactive and web-enabled features, including the ability to re-edit and share versions of the film via a studio-hosted server.

Now comes word that another web-enabled feature on the '300' HD DVD will enable Warner to sell film-related merchandise via a disc for the first time.

The studio demo'd the new feature last week at the Home Media Expo in Las Vegas as part of a larger session focused on the studio's push into interactive features on high-def disc.

According to an account by Video Business, consumers will be able to use their HD DVD player remote to type in their cell phone number, which will then be sent instructions for how to access '300'-themed wallpaper and ringtones for $1.99 each.

Considering the fact that the purchase takes place on the phone (and not the disc itself), this one seems like a bit of a cheat to us, but it does represent another step forward for web-enabled interactivity via high-def disc.

The HD DVD camp appears to angling to make web-enabled features the next battlefront in the high-def format wars. Pointing out that Blu-ray players "don’t have the consistency in their machines to be able to handle this," Universal Studios VP Ken Graffeo announced plans late last week to begin including web-enabled features in all Universal HD DVD releases, beginning in late August with 'Heroes: Season One'.

I really couldn't care less about 300 ringtones and re-editing the movie - or any of these web features, really. I'll take the Blu-ray version thanks.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Gary Whitta said:
I really couldn't care less about 300 ringtones and re-editing the movie - or any of these web features, really. I'll take the Blu-ray version thanks.

I'm getting the HD-DVD one since it includes the blue/green screen version of the movie in addition to the normal one.

ManaByte said:
I'm getting the HD-DVD one since it includes the blue/green screen version of the movie in addition to the normal one.
That feature does sound cool. I just wish my Xbox 360 didn't sound like a 747 taking off when playing an HD-DVD.

Alcibiades

I'm going to be disappointed if I can't edit out the wife and political scenes out of 300... that alone would validate the existence of such features, but considering that they have yet to implement seamless branching on HD DVD, it's more likely they'll just be certain scenes and not a lot of customization possibilities...

Alcibiades

Oni Jazar said:
On another note, here are numbers that we missed last week:

Week 61/39
YTD 67/33
SI 60/40
isn't this also the first week of the PS3 price cut?

I find it highly suspicious that the June 26th slate of HD DVD titles barely nudged sales, but 4 catalog titles that are not even making a mark on amazon.com and which are not being carried by most retailers are somehow having an effect... something seems off...

Alcibiades said:
isn't this also the first week of the PS3 price cut?

I find it highly suspicious that the June 26th slate of HD DVD titles barely nudged sales, but 4 catalog titles that are not even making a mark on amazon.com and which are not being carried by most retailers are somehow having an effect... something seems off...

It's not the catalog titles, it's the lack of Blu-Ray releases. The overall numbers were probably quite low for that week.

Also, I think that's the week before the price cut.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Time to get my Bourne on tommorow.

So So So excited to get the original in HD. Then, I'll watch them a million times, go watch Ultimatum.

Then I get Hot Fuzz, 300 and Shaun of the Dead?

Best streak of releases on HDDVD IMO.

Also, Ultimatum better come out this year. or I'll stalk Universal Execs bourne style..

"What if the movie isnt ready in time?"
"Its sitting right next to you"
*hides*

I was considering getting Bourne. But I'm EXTREMELY TICKED OFF at Universal for giving it the half-assed 1.5mbps treatment! I'll wait for a trilogy set when that's released and hopefully the entire set will have True HD. I already have it burned on a Blu-ray from a 1080i feed. So my purchase would be mainly for the awesome audio track this movie had.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
ManaByte said:

Micro transactions come to HD DVD

:eek:

edit:

Paramount Adds High-Res Audio to Blu-ray, HD DVD Menu
After eschewing high-resolution audio on its Blu-ray and HD DVD titles for over a year now, Paramount Home Entertainment has announced they will finally support the Dolby TrueHD and PCM formats on several upcoming next-gen releases.

Though Paramount's releases on both high-def formats have won praise for their generally high-quality transfers and for including most bonus features in full HD video, inexplicably they've not included high-res audio formats (such as Dolby TrueHD, DTS Master Lossless Audio and uncompressed PCM).

But now, apparently responding to continual requests of early adopters, the studio finally has added high-res audio to several upcoming titles on both high-formats, beginning with 'Blades of Glory' on August 28th, and 'Next' which follows on September 25.

The studio has recently unveiled full specs for the two titles on both formats, with each getting different (but comparable) audio. The HD DVD versions will enjoy a Dolby TrueHD 5.1 surround track, while the Blu-ray editions will receive uncompressed PCM racks (also in 5.1).

It's expected that at least several other titles in Paramount's next-gen pipeline will follow suit.

Extras on both 'Blades of Glory' and 'Next' will include making-of featurettes, plus each film's respective theatrical trailer -- all presented in full 1080p HD video.

StoOgE

DarkJediKnight said:
I was considering getting Bourne. But I'm EXTREMELY TICKED OFF at Universal for giving it the half-assed 1.5mbps treatment! I'll wait for a trilogy set when that's released and hopefully the entire set will have True HD. I already have it burned on a Blu-ray from a 1080i feed. So my purchase would be mainly for the awesome audio track this movie had.

Yes, because Riddick and King Kong sound so much worse than PCM soundtracks :lol

StoOgE said:
Yes, because Riddick and King Kong sound so much worse than PCM soundtracks :lol

And he thinks his 1080i feed will be sufficient in comparison to the HD DVD...

Not to gang up on DJK or anything...

I'm looking forward to getting the Bourne Identity. It's one of my favorites and I'm sure it'll look and sound very nice.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
You guys can rag on him, but i was at frys ready to buy Swordfish and Corpse bride and or the fugitive but not a single one of them had high def audio, wtf do i want a high def movie for if it has the same damn sound i can get(or already have) on dvd.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
captive said:
You guys can rag on him, but i was at frys ready to buy Swordfish and Corpse bride and or the fugitive but not a single one of them had high def audio, wtf do i want a high def movie for if it has the same damn sound i can get(or already have) on dvd.

I don't think Dolby Digital Plus (which is what Bourne has) is something you find in dvd's. It's not TrueHD or 5 channel PCM, but it's certainly a step up from DTS and DD 5.1

captive said:
I think the better question is why would you want Swordfish in any format?

ManaByte

Gold Member
VanMardigan said:
I don't think Dolby Digital Plus (which is what Bourne has) is something you find in dvd's. It's not TrueHD or 5 channel PCM, but it's certainly a step up from DTS and DD 5.1

I know the BRD of Corpse Bride is only DD 5.1EX while the HD-DVD are DDPlus. I don't know about the BRDs of Fugitive or Swordfish. HOWEVER, in all three discs defense they were among the first wave of Warner's HD releases on both formats.

Gary Whitta said:
I think the better question is why would you want Swordfish in any format?

Two reasons.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
ManaByte said:
Just picked up the Ultimate Matrix Collection since it was only $10 more than the trilogy itself.

Hopefully your set is ok.There had been some reports on the AVS forums about combo discs of the Ultimate set not working on some players.

Some people's copies started working normally after the lastest firmware update.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Matrix said:
Hopefully your set is ok.There had been some reports on the AVS forums about combo discs of the Ultimate set not working on some players.

Some people's copies started working normally after the lastest firmware update.

The Ultimate set is identical to the Trilogy set, but it has one extra box inside with the two disc extras set. The movie discs are IDENTICAL to the ones in the Trilogy box. I generally don't trust much that comes out of AVS as there is too much FUD there. HTF doesn't put up with that BS at all.

StoOgE

captive said:

DD+ is a completely different codec which is MUCH more efficient that DD5.1. It also comes at a 1.5MB encode versus 480K encode for DD5.1. Its a gigantic step up. Im not saying its PCM quality but its very close, but its a big step up and hardly anything to complain about IMO.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
ManaByte said:
The Ultimate set is identical to the Trilogy set, but it has one extra box inside with the two disc extras set. The movie discs are IDENTICAL to the ones in the Trilogy box. I generally don't trust much that comes out of AVS as there is too much FUD there. HTF doesn't put up with that BS at all.

Yea maybe I shouldnt trust them as much.

It just seems people were complaining that discs out of that set were having some problems.

jjasper

Matrix said:
Yea maybe I shouldnt trust them as much.

It just seems people were complaining that discs out of that set were having some problems.

edit- no sure why I wrote combo discs :lol Doh

I can't play the DVD w/ the Animatrix on my HD-A2

Matrix

jjasper said:

Well that's one of the things I read too,that sucks.

jjasper said:
I don't know what kind of bullshit this is, but I don't remember any of these kinds of problems when DVD first came out, and I bought one of the very first players.

Every time I hear about some hardware/software incompatability on HD-DVD it makes me think that they rushed this tech to market without properly working out the kinks. And yes I'm on the Blu-ray side of the fence but that's partly because I just don't hear about these same issues on BD - HD-DVD just seems like the more troublesome tech right now.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Gary Whitta said:
I don't know what kind of bullshit this is, but I don't remember any of these kinds of problems when DVD first came out, and I bought one of the very first players.

Every time I hear about some hardware/software incompatability on HD-DVD it makes me think that they rushed this tech to market without properly working out the kinks. And yes I'm on the Blu-ray side of the fence but that's partly because I just don't hear about these same issues on BD - HD-DVD just seems like the more troublesome tech right now.

Then you obviously never had to deal with one of the first dual layer DVDs where the glue that held the layers together was shit and the discs just stopped working. And you obviously forget all of the bitching and hell that went down when the Matrix came out on DVD since it didn't work on many players. Selective memory FTL.

As for BRD; you're probably just ignoring the disc rot problems with The Prestige, The Departed, and others.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
StoOgE said:
DD+ is a completely different codec which is MUCH more efficient that DD5.1. It also comes at a 1.5MB encode versus 480K encode for DD5.1. Its a gigantic step up. Im not saying its PCM quality but its very close, but its a big step up and hardly anything to complain about IMO.
Ok and as far as i know the blu-ray versions of, corpse bride, the fugitive and sword fish all have regular DD.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Flashback to 1999:
http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/1999/09/31560

The Matrix was one of the biggest movies of 1999, overcoming competition from Star Wars: The Phantom Menace, and has been compared favorably to legendary sci-fi flick Blade Runner. Although it is now the top-selling DVD on some DVD players, it looks like a defective replicant.

Since the movie hit retail and online outlets on 21 September, there has been a barrage of reports on DVD newsgroups like alt.video.dvd and rec.video.dvd.titles of flaky behavior during playback. The problems ranged from the inability to playback the video, video freezing, voice/mouth syncing problems, and problems navigating the movie's menus.

The Matrix is a hybrid DVD-ROM/DVD-Video disc that appears to be pushing the technology envelope too far. But the problem isn't unique to The Matrix -- the fourth disc in From The Earth To The Moon series and Lost In Space hybrid discs caused a number of DVD players to freak out.

The main problem appears to be related to low-end and older models that were not properly designed to work with hybrid disks.

"I know they worked as fast as possible to get this title out, and I don't know if that affected their QA process. It's possible that the disc wasn't QA'ed as much as it should have been," said Bill Hunt, webmaster of The Digital Bits, a popular DVD site. Hunt has been getting an earful from DVD owners who report all kinds of errors.

"First-generation players have more problems with compatibility, no question," said Dan Dassa, manager of Laser Blazer in West Los Angeles, California, one of the largest laserdisc and DVD stores in southern California. "A lot of those players were built before they knew how the software would be written."

The models reported to having trouble with The Matrix include:

Sony 7000 series

Samsung 709, 809, 739 series

Panasonic 110, 120, 310 series

Emerson DVD2000

Zenith DVD2200

GE DVD Players

Toshiba SD-3109

Pioneer DV-500, DV-414, DVL-90

Yamaha C900

Hunt said that sources within DVD mastering houses have told him that every DVD player on the market is in one way or another not fully up to the DVD technology specification. DVD software vendors are further complicating things by pushing their titles to do more PC interactivity. Hunt said many early generation DVD players simply weren't developed with these technologies in mind.

Matrix distributor Warner Home Video was not available for comment, and the DVD Forum, which defines the format specification, would not comment on the issue. PC Friendly, an online PC-DVD technical support site, has been handling DVD-ROM technical support issues for Warner and many other DVD sellers. It has troubleshooting advice for both the DVD-Video and DVD-ROM Matrix problems.

It will take a few years before DVD hardware and software vendors close the gaps of compatibility, but the problem should not be overblown, said Todd Collart, president and CEO of InterActual Technologies, the parent company of PC Friendly.

"There will be bumps in the road, but we have to make sure in the industry that the community is educated so that if a problem is encountered, they have a path for resolving that problem," said Collart.

To their credit, most of the DVD-Video player vendors are offering firmware upgrades to their players to correct compatibility issues, said Collart. He didn't think movie studios should back off on ambitious DVDs like The Matrix. "I really don't think you want to stop innovation from a software manufacturing point, you want to encourage that, because it pushes the market forward," he said.

Consumers are already fed up with constant upgrades to their PC, will they put up with having to replace their home video setup every few years as well? Definitely, said Hunt.

"I don't think anyone's not going to adopt DVD because of a compatibility problem," he said. "I think the benefits of the format will outweigh that problem."

The large number of Matrix complaints may somewhat overstate the problem because so many people are buying it –- The Matrix could be the first million-selling DVD. Dassa said the return rate for The Matrix at his store is less than one percent.

The Matrix could soon cruise past Titanic, the biggest blockbuster of all time in total sales. Even though one million Titanic discs were stamped and shipped to retailers, it's not flying out the doors. "Titanic missed the boat, so to speak," said Dassa.

"It sold well, but nothing close to what it would have sold when it was a hot title. I think everyone is sitting on a large stock of Titanic right now. They blew it on that one."

Matrix

Gary,even with some problems,most either end up being discs that were pressed bad or a firmware update ends up helping to fix the issue.

"As for BRD; you're probably just ignoring the disc rot problems with The Prestige, The Departed, and others."

IMG_0931-1wtmk.jpg

HD-DVD and Blu-ray both have issues just like Dvd did.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Gary Whitta said:
What am I looking at there, apart from the speckles? Is that blue line a reflection or a defect?

The speckles is disc rot. That disc probably won't play anymore. It's been happening to the Prestige (which I think that image is), the Departed, and others so it isn't just one studios disc that have the issue right now.

thaivo

ManaByte said:

I think I read that the Ultimate Set has combo format discs, while the regular trilogy are HD-DVD only. Some would prefer the combos. Me I just wished they'd release #1 separately.

ManaByte

Gold Member
thaivo said:
I think I read that the Ultimate Set has combo format discs, while the regular trilogy are HD-DVD only. Some would prefer the combos. Me I just wished they'd release #1 separately.

No. They aren't combos. The movie discs in the Ultimate box are 100% identical to the ones in the trilogy box. The only difference between the two sets is a fourth case in the Ultimate box that has the two-disc extras set with The Animatrix, etc. That's the only difference between the two.

Matrix

ManaByte said:
No. They aren't combos. The movie discs in the Ultimate box are 100% identical to the ones in the trilogy box. The only difference between the two sets is a fourth case in the Ultimate box that has the two-disc extras set with The Animatrix, etc. That's the only difference between the two.

Mana I believe I was right about the discs being doubled sided...

http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/matrix_umc.html

"It's a bit disappointing, because though it is fantastic to have so much content spread across only five (albeit double-sided) discs, the lack of upgraded video across the board leaves 'The Ultimate Matrix Collection' a bit shy of being a complete, total high-def immersion in the world of The Matrix.

An additional note: Warner is also releasing 'The Complete Matrix Trilogy' on HD DVD, day-and-date with the 'Ultimate Collection.' The video and audio specs for the films themselves are identical; the studio has simply dropped the flip-sides of the three movie discs, plus the two bonus 'Matrix Experience" discs. It's a very attractive alternative for fans who don't desire the hours and hours of added material included here, especially since the video and audio quality remains as strong as it is here, and 'The Complete Matrix Trilogy' also retains all of the HD DVD-exclusive extras (see below)."

People were having problems cause of them being flip sided.

thaivo

ManaByte said:

Sorry, but I think you're wrong. I rented from BB Online, and they were combos.

Also...

http://whv.warnerbros.com/WHVPORTAL/Portal/product.jsp?OID=21118

Pack Info: Ultimate Matrix Collection
Matrix Reloaded (HD/Combo) ( 1 )
Matrix Revolutions (HD/Combo) ( 1 )
Matrix, The (HD/Combo) ( 1 )
Ultimate Matrix Collection, The Bonus Disc (DVD) (Multi-title) (HD Ver.) ( 1 )

http://whv.warnerbros.com/WHVPORTAL/Portal/product.jsp?OID=21125

Pack Info: Complete Matrix Trilogy
Matrix Reloaded (HD) ( 1 )
Matrix Revolutions, The (HD) ( 1 )
Matrix, The (HD) ( 1 )

Matrix

I was right and Mana got me thinking I was wrong :(

ManaByte

Gold Member
thaivo said:
Sorry, but I think you're wrong. I rented from BB Online, and they were combos.

Also...

http://whv.warnerbros.com/WHVPORTAL/Portal/product.jsp?OID=21118

Pack Info: Ultimate Matrix Collection
Matrix Reloaded (HD/Combo) ( 1 )
Matrix Revolutions (HD/Combo) ( 1 )
Matrix, The (HD/Combo) ( 1 )
Ultimate Matrix Collection, The Bonus Disc (DVD) (Multi-title) (HD Ver.) ( 1 )

http://whv.warnerbros.com/WHVPORTAL/Portal/product.jsp?OID=21125

Pack Info: Complete Matrix Trilogy
Matrix Reloaded (HD) ( 1 )
Matrix Revolutions, The (HD) ( 1 )
Matrix, The (HD) ( 1 )

No, I just think there was a misunderstanding. COMBO usually means there was a SD version of the movie on the other side. The Matrix sets only include the movies in HD, the special features are in SD.

thaivo

ManaByte said:
No, I just think there was a misunderstanding. COMBO usually means there was a SD version of the movie on the other side. The Matrix sets only include the movies in HD, the special features are in SD.

Hmm. I see what you mean. I didn't bother to flip the discs when I rented them, so I'm not sure what was on the other side. The thing is, the special features on the main movie side were also in SD.

Matrix

They're flip discs,im not sure whats on the 2nd side,but some have been messed up cause of it.

edit- actually I believe the SD bonus material is on the 2nd side.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Matrix said:
They're flip discs,im not sure whats on the 2nd side,but some have been messed up cause of it.

The other side of the movies are The Matrix Revisited, The Matrix Reloaded Revisited, and The Matrix Revolutions Revisited. They're the 2 hour documentaries on each movie. You DO NOT get the movies in SD on the set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom