• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thaivo

LM4sure said:
trying to ignore the truth, huh? that is sad!! LOL!

This thread started on 01-03-2007, 12:24 AM... and it is no closer to being true now as it was then. I wonder if BD supporters ever get fatigue from all of the hate for HD-DVD they feel in their hearts. :lol

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
LM4sure said:
trying to ignore the truth, huh? that is sad!! LOL!

A look at your post history...

With all these amazing hd-dvds coming out, hd-dvd is sure to take the lead soon! w00t!!

denial! i love it!!! LOL!!!

Yeah, people are including commercials into the runtime of episodes. WTF? Episodes are only 22 minutes long!!!! The movie will be TWICE as long as the Who Shot Mr Burns episodes. Idiots!!!

I love that pig. It seems it will have a pretty big role in the movie.

Spider-pig FTW!!

i might have to get a ps3/360 for this!!!

dqs wow!!!!!!!!!!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

bail out!!!

zapper!!!!!!!

You go on ignore too.

Petrarca

Banned
It is not wise to start buying HD-DVD at this moment. If you started last year, maybe, but this year is too risky.

The chance of HD-DVD becoming an obsolete format is greater than ever. If you think HD-DVD is under pressure now, imagine coming fall or winter

- PS3 lower price effect
- Blockbuster Blu-ray exclusive effect
- Box Office movies effect
- Disney & Panasonic roadshow effect

All of these will generate buzz, exposure that will snowball into greater blu-ray fanbase. Blu-ray has so much more content and advertising power coming this winter

But hey it's your money, if you want to waste your money and start building movie collection on the wrong format, it's your choice. Is it wise? definitely not

Solo

Petrarca said:
But hey it's your money, if you want to waste your money and start building movie collection on the wrong format, it's your choice. Is it wise? definitely not

Couldn't agree more. That's why my format of choice is DVD.

LM4sure

Banned
Petrarca said:
It is not wise to start buying HD-DVD at this moment. If you started last year, maybe, but this year is too risky.

The chance of HD-DVD becoming an obsolete format is greater than ever. If you think HD-DVD is under pressure now, imagine coming fall or winter

- PS3 lower price effect

All of these will generate buzz, exposure that will snowball into greater blu-ray fanbase. Blu-ray has so much more content and advertising power coming this winter

But hd-dvd players will continue to be cheaper in the short term. PS3 is still too expensive for a lot of people. Blockbuster is kind of irrelevant nowadays. So basically you cannot say it is an unwise decision. At this point, no one knows. You can pretend to know all you like. That's fine. But I will wait and see. I can stick it out with dvds for a bit longer.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Oni Jazar said:
Noooo you cut this one and 10 more threads will take it's place.
Yea well it just seems that there are quite a few hd dvd super fanboys that are coming in here for the sole purpose to try and piss people off, no other reason than that.
And using ****ing 6 month old arguments such stating why HD DVD is somehow going to magically win with one exclusive studio supporting it, and saying player prices are going to win this war, despite the player prices being significantly cheaper than blu-ray players for some time now.

Solo

Petrarca said:
DVD? what's that?

The dirt cheap format that came 10 years before HD-DVD/BRD, which has 100x the catalogue, variety, and sales of those other formats, and will still be at #1 when HD-DVD and BRD fold.

You might have heard of it.

Petrarca

Banned
Solo said:
The dirt cheap format that came 10 years before HD-DVD/BRD, which has 100x the catalogue, variety, and sales of those other formats, and will still be at #1 when HD-DVD and BRD fold.

I heard the pictures are rather blurry in DVD :D

M3wThr33

Banned
Solo said:

Dirt Cheap? That's not how I remember it. I remember blowing like $500 on my family's first unit, then mailing away for 5 free DVDs in the mail. I remember some were Air Force One, Lethal Weapon 4 and the first Pokemon DVD for the TV show.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
Solo said:

Sounds familiar... except for that last point. Haven't heard of this DVD you're talking about. Was it similar to VHS?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Solo said:

This is far more annoying type of post than the HD DVD vs. Blu Ray arguments.

Solo, if that's how you feel, you have absolutely NO BUSINESS in this thread. Get the hell out.

Petrarca

Banned
VanMardigan said:

Solo, if that's how you feel, you have absolutely NO BUSINESS in this thread. Get the hell out.

who the hell are you to say who deserves to post here or not?

People who are not into HD still may wanna come here for advises, trends

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Petrarca said:

And this is what solo is doing, looking for advice?

If you want to put up with the "HD DVD/Blu Ray" am fail, dvd and digital distribution will win" crap, fine. But what's the point of visiting an HD disc thread to state how HD disc media will surely fail?

M3wThr33

Banned
Petrarca said:

Everyone is welcome to read.
But if you think that sometime in the last 137 GODDAMN PAGES we haven't had to deal with this inaccurate bullcrap of people thinking some goddamn shit about DVD, then you're mistaken.

The ignorance surrounding media is astounding. Everyone thinks they know the single trump card for this discussion.

I really don't care anymore. It's pretty much impossible to bring anything new in DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-Ray debates unless the news is a day or two old. So unless you scoop something, shut up. It's for your own good.

Solo

VanMardigan said:

Chill out man. I was just joking around, and you got your high-def panties in a twist. Also, spare me your empty internet bravado.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
Solo said:
Chill out man. I was just joking around, and you got your high-def panties in a twist. Also, spare me your empty internet bravado.

I think after 137 pages, everyone is a bit tired of going around in circles.

"Hey look! BD is winning sales!"

"Lol! HD-DVD not dead yet!"

"Still too early in the game to tell guys!"

"Whateva!"

"BD + HD-DVD sell basically nothing togetha!"

"Lol, you guys are arguing over ded formatz. Download 4tw."

"lo, you guys are arguing over a none-starter! DVD 4tw."

Throw in a few ad-hominens, a few bruised egos, a few release updates, and a random assortment of other media related stuff and you have this thread in brief.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Petrarca said:

- PS3 lower price effect

$499 may be a lower price than other standalone BRD players (actually the Sony BDP-S300 can be found cheaper still at about $470-$490 if you look around), but I don't see how that arguement can be made when $499 is still twice the price of the lowest priced HD-DVD player.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Also I just got back to Fry's where they have some BRDs and HD-DVDs on sale for $11.99, only Warner Bros discs though.

All I saw there for $12 was Corpse Bride and Superman Returns on BRD and A Scanner Darkly and Unforgiven on HD-DVD.

Grabbed A Scanner Darkly and Unforgiven as well as The Big Lebowski and Dragonheart since I already have Superman Returns on BRD and Corpse Bride doesn't interest me too much.

Fry's HD prices are awesome, and Best Buy can DIAF. Best Buy is selling the HD-DVD Blood Diamond for $34.99, and Fry's has it for $19.99.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
painey said:
just pre ordered my 300 Blu Ray.. i hope it doesnt take too long to arrive in the UK.. ill be happy if i have it by august 7th :D

mine shipped from movietyme yesterday. If they are shipping from the US it should be here next week sometime. If they are shipping from their UK office it should be here Monday, along with Shooter and the Fifth Element remaster.

My Crimson Tide turned up today.

Oni Jazar

ManaByte said:
$499 may be a lower price than other standalone BRD players (actually the Sony BDP-S300 can be found cheaper still at about $470-$490 if you look around), but I don't see how that arguement can be made when $499 is still twice the price of the lowest priced HD-DVD player.

It can be made when sales of PS3 are much much higher then any HD DVD. It's no secret that the PS3 is what makes BD sales 2-1 over HD DVD.

ManaByte

Gold Member
My BRD library:
blu-raylibrary.jpg

My HD-DVD library:
hd-dvdlibrary.jpg

calder

Holy shit, do you have fake boxes on those shelves to sit behind where the real boxes are when you have them out? Like a video store? My god that's either super-hardcore or certifiably batshit insane, and I honestly don't know which. :lol Unless those are just weird case sleeves or some kind of virtual shelf.

ManaByte

Gold Member
calder said:
Holy shit, do you have fake boxes on those shelves to sit behind where the real boxes are when you have them out? Like a video store? My god that's either super-hardcore or certifiably batshit insane, and I honestly don't know which. :lol Unless those are just weird case sleeves or some kind of virtual shelf.

http://www.delicious-monster.com/

karasu

Solo said:

Pfft, you're a cinephile. There's too much blockbuster shit being released right now, but just wait until you get a taste of one of your favorites on Blu-Ray. You will realize that DVD only has all of these things over HD formats because it's old, and you will most assuredly repent.

calder

Aww, I'm disappointed now. I thought I had finally met the match for my coworker's mind-boggling CD collection, complete with library-like shelf labels and small printed stickers behind each CD case to indicate what goes where.

He's also a guy who, going on a 4 hour road trip earlier this week for a funeral, printed out 9 pages of googlemap images and printed each stage out on the colour printer at work and then laminated the maps and put them in a booklet. God he's easy to bug.

thaivo

ManaByte said:
Also I just got back to Fry's where they have some BRDs and HD-DVDs on sale for $11.99, only Warner Bros discs though.

Grabbed A Scanner Darkly and Unforgiven as well as The Big Lebowski and Dragonheart since I already have Superman Returns on BRD and Corpse Bride doesn't interest me too much.

I just watched about 30 mins of A Scanner Darkly and it has absolutely mind blowing image quality. The story is pretty interesting too. I like the writer, Philip Dick (I think that's his name).

ManaByte

Gold Member
thaivo said:
I just watched about 30 mins of A Scanner Darkly and it has absolutely mind blowing image quality. The story is pretty interesting too. I like the writer, Philip Dick (I think that's his name).

Haven't opened my copy yet. I'm finishing up watching Dragonheart, and it's the first time I've really watched it since the original DVD came out in 1998 and it looks great in HD.

Solo

karasu said:
Pfft, you're a cinephile. There's too much blockbuster shit being released right now, but just wait until you get a taste of one of your favorites on Blu-Ray. You will realize that DVD only has all of these things over HD formats because it's old, and you will most assuredly repent.

I know. I was mostly just joking anyways. I fully support HD formats. I am just waiting until one finally kills the other, and more titles get released (that arent just blockbusters from the past 5 years) before I make the plunge. I can deal with my upscaling DVD player for now. Its rather painful though to watch all my television programming in glorious HD, then switching to upscaled DVD for my movies, I admit.

The Main Event said:
I have the demo version.

Nice and all but no way in hell I'm paying what they're charging ($40) for that thing.

Delicious library is worth every penny of the $40 asking price. I love it. The feature where it keeps track of who you lend books, CDs and videos out to has easily saved me $40.

The fact that it reads the barcodes and does all the entry for you is awesome.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Has Delicious library gone up in price? I have it and I believe I only payed $20 for it.

Also I put in the barcodes for the Matrix movies on HD-DVD and it cant find them.

cjdunn

Sometimes a barcode lookup will fail, even for a mainstream product. I had that happen the other night. You can add a new item by putting in Amazon's ASIN number, since Delicious Library pulls its info from there.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Thanks,ill try that.

edit- thanks a lot,that worked :)

Chemo

thaivo said:
I thought you were ignoring my posts? :D

Btw... you never answered my question about how much you paid for your BD player.
When they're so short, I can't help but absorb them. I don't have you on official ignore, but I refuse to read your text walls.

BTW $599 US Dollars

VanMardigan said:

If there's one thing I love about the people in this thread that support next-gen formats... either side... it's that they will always band together to tell the "DVD FTW" guys who kind of stumble in to get the **** out as soon as they surface.

Solo, start your own "DVD/Blu-ray/HD DVD: DVD reigns supreme" thread if you want. Otherwise, blow.

Petrarca said:

WTF? I just typed some shit about how this kind of post never happens. I have never seen someone stick up for these guys. Don't be the one to start this shit, either. If they want to read the thread, fine... but I don't give a damn what a "DVD FTW"er has to say, and most people who are buying Blu-ray and/or HD DVD don't either. This thread isn't about DVD.

thaivo

Chemo said:
BTW $599 US Dollars

Thanks. There's no way in hell my wife would have allowed me to keep a $600 machine so I can watch sharper movies (her words). :D I don't have a sound system currently that can resolve the next gen sound unfortunately.

I mean the only way I was able to purchase the HD-D2 was because she was four hours away, and that I picked it up for a cool $80 or so from Costco (with store credit, return of digi-cam received as a present). So I don't have as much invested as most BD supporters.

I can see why you would be so adamant about the death of HD-DVD, but then again it sounds like you have a PS3 too.

Chemo

thaivo said:
Thanks. There's no way in hell my wife would have allowed me to keep a $600 machine so I can watch sharper movies (her words). :D I don't have a sound system currently that can resolve the next gen sound unfortunately.

I mean the only way I was able to purchase the HD-D2 was because she was four hours away, and that I picked it up for a cool $80 or so from Costco (with store credit, return of digi-cam received as a present). So I don't have as much invested as most BD supporters.

I can see why you would be so adamant about the death of HD-DVD, but then again it sounds like you have a PS3 too.
Of course I have a PS3. And there's no way in hell I'd let someone else, someone who is supposed to be an equal partner, determine exactly what I can and cannot do.

That said, I don't have to be adamant about the death of HD DVD. It's a damn fact that the vast majority of high-def disc sales come directly from PS3 owners purchasing Blu-rays. Regardless of whether or not that's "fair"... if Blu-ray and HD DVD were on equal ground, neither in a console and just selling on their own... that's how it is. And what do you know, the PS3 just got a price drop. And it will price drop again in the next 8-12 months.

People are buying PS3s a lot more than they're buying Blu-ray or HD DVD players. They're going to buy a lot more PS3s as it gets a better library and a lower price. I don't know what else to say other than "sorry." Your insinuation that BRD could be dead by 2009 is, literally, the stupidest thing I have read on this forum ever. What you are basically saying is that the PS3 could very well not be around in 18 months, and that is just so ridiculous that it goes way beyond the point of hilarity into pathetic territory.

thaivo

Chemo said:
Of course I have a PS3. And there's no way in hell I'd let someone else, someone who is supposed to be an equal partner, determine exactly what I can and cannot do.

Spoken like a person who isn't married. :D I can do anything I please, as long as I'm willing to pay the penalty.

Chemo said:
What you are basically saying is that the PS3 could very well not be around in 18 months, and that is just so ridiculous that it goes way beyond the point of hilarity into pathetic territory.

My comment was light hearted and in jest (as you would probably would have discerned had you read my other posts which admit that BD is winning currently and most likely has a better chance of survival), and if you read it again, I prefaced my comment with "Who knows..." I think your investment in BD causes quite a hair trigger reaction to people's comments. Also, I haven't said anything negative about the PS3... I was going to say that it's a PS3, so you can play games if you get steamed at Universal not releasing a film for BD, but I thought that would incense you as well.. :lol

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
thaivo said:
Spoken like a person who isn't married. :D I can do anything I please, as long as I'm willing to pay the penalty.

I had to see your response to that.

No, you're whipped. Not all married relationships are equal. And you are Whipped. W-H-I-P-P-E-D.

*starts making whipping sounds*

back on ignore you go :)

weehomer

Crayon Shinchan said:
I had to see your response to that.

No, you're whipped. Not all married relationships are equal. And you are Whipped. W-H-I-P-P-E-D.

*starts making whipping sounds*

back on ignore you go :)

Jesus, you're obnoxious. Sounds like you're not married, either.

This thread is hilarious. Ten people furiously arguing and bickering, with people ignoring each other (but not really). It's a good read for comedy, only every 5-7 days or so.

Any new word on Lawrence of Arabia Blu-ray? It was listed as coming soon months ago... it's easily one of my favorite films of all time and will surely be a good reference title for Blu-ray. So epic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom