• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Ignatz Mouse said:
Sure. I might too (depending on whether it was gimped in some way).

Why would they be gimped? Combo format does not limit you to 15GB on the HD DVD side. You can have a dual layered 30GB HD DVD on one side and a full on DVD9 on the other.

Only Freedom Vol. 1, which features both HD DVD and DVD versions on ONE side, is limited to 15GB, which can be enough for some titles.

sedaku

There's rumor going around that there's gonna be a big announcement today. Something to do with Target going exclusive.

This is gonna be good.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
sedaku said:
There's rumor going around that there's gonna be a big announcement today. Something to do with Target going exclusive.

This is gonna be good.

this rumor about Target making an announcement has been going around for about 5 months now, and more than once someone has "dated" this rumor as coming on a specific date.

Target actually stocking more than 5 movies and charging reasonable prices for them would be the real news.

Alcibiades

the rumor was that Target would set up Blu-ray kiosks at some stores (this came up around mid-June)...

maybe it's true or not, but I highly doubt they would ditch HD DVD as they have a section for it (along with Blu-ray) and Microsoft probably strong-arms retailers into carrying the add-on anyway...

Van, the gimping is purely hypothetical, since Combo BDs don't exist, and that's what I have. I guess I was thinking of the space limitations that occur with TotalHD.

ManaByte

Gold Member
rubso said:
Bill hunt is the retard in the "debate1" video, am i right?
"I bought a PS2" "my sister bought a ps2" "my grandma bought a wii" "I bought a PS3 to watch High Def movies" "I don't want games anymore" "PCs sucks, ahhh.."

ronandbill01.jpg

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'm sure Bill Hunt is doing it for the good of the industry and hasn't taken any favors from the Blu Ray camp or Sony..........

djkimothy

http://www.current.com.au/2007/07/17/article/IJABMCUABX.html

HDDVD also enjoys a 70% advantage of stand alone sales in europe... For what it's worth.

Just last month, Sony Australia claimed over 90 per cent of HD disc movie sales to date have been Blu-ray - supposedly an indicator that Blu-ray has raced ahead in the format war.

But reliable market data for hardware sales is hard to come by for the Australian market.

According to NPG figures presented today by Toshiba, HD DVD hardware sales are well ahead of Blu-ray with 55 per cent of sales to date in the USA and over 70 per cent in Europe.

However, Toshiba’s greatest challenge is from the Blu-ray-equipped PlayStation 3, which has sold well over 40,000 units in the Australian market alone.

The figures presented today by Toshiba did not include the PS3.

But Whittard argues that sales of PCs from his own brand as well as Acer and HP, as well as new Microsoft’s external HD DVD drive for the Xbox 360, go some way towards offsetting this advantage. Toshiba - the number one notebook PC brand in Australia - will ramp up implementation of HD DVD drives across its notebook PC range later this year as the drives become cheaper.

I thought the "non-PS3" player ratio was a lot higher in favour of HDDVD. Are blu-ray standalones finally catching up? Or do I have my numbers crossed?

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Paramount announced (extremely lame) special editions of Chinatown and The Two Jakes yesterday, and there's a very good chance we'll see at least Chinatown make its HD/BR debut this fall. That's pretty exciting.

djkimothy

Crayon Shinchan said:
Pretty constant 65-35 split from week to week, varying by 5 points either way depending on what's released.

Well, the anomaly for that one week is what surprises me. You know, 11 HDDVD releases vs 2 Blu-ray and still blu-ray keeps that steady sales ratio...

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
djkimothy said:
http://www.current.com.au/2007/07/17/article/IJABMCUABX.html

HDDVD also enjoys a 70% advantage in europe... For what it's worth.

I thought the "non-PS3" player ratio was a lot higher in favour of HDDVD. Are blu-ray standalones finally catching up? Or do I have my numbers crossed?

Should probably edit that first line of yours and make it clearer you're talking about stand alone player sales, and not actual disc sales.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
StoOgE said:
Target actually stocking more than 5 movies and charging reasonable prices for them would be the real news.

QFT. I work at Target and the movies are really expensive $25 to $39.99 and the selection is really bad for both formats. They share a small 4ft section along the DVD wall and we don't get the new releases every Tuesday either like Best Buy and Fry's.

Also I can guarantee that we are not getting blu ray or HD DVD kiosks anytime soon. We already have a blu ray kiosk with the PS 3

Forsete

I wish we had disc sales from Europe.

One of the biggest DVD online shops here in Sweden.

Top 20 Blu-Ray & HD-DVD

Out of 20 titles, 15 are Blu-Ray titles. BD-titles have top spots 1 to 11.

Axelmusic.DK (remember, the international site favours HD-DVD.. or used to, just had a look, LOL.).

Code:
    BLU-RAY	HD-DVD
Weekly	89%	11%
Yearly	61%	39%

Releases   62	38

ManaByte

Gold Member
Columbia House HD details (from HTF):

two titles are now availible

300 and Blades Of Glory

they will be carrying on

HD-DVD

Warner
Universal
Paramount
Weinstein Company

Blu-ray

Warner
Paramount
Sony-owned Columbia Tri-Star

But there will be no Fox, also as far as I know no MGM titles by Fox either
And no Disney or Buena Vista Home Entertainment

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Did they mention a date when Columbia House is going to start with their HD discs? I throw away all their catalogs now, but I'd definitely check out their catalog if they have HD DVD.

edit: nevermind, I just realized they got 300 and Blades of Glory. $30 for Blades and 300 is more than amazon still.

ManaByte

Gold Member
VanMardigan said:
Did they mention a date when Columbia House is going to start with their HD discs? I throw away all their catalogs now, but I'd definitely check out their catalog if they have HD DVD.

edit: nevermind, I just realized they got 300 and Blades of Glory. $30 for Blades and 300 is more than amazon still.

They start next month apparently.

djkimothy

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s..._to_Take_Bite_out_of_Blu-ray_this_October/802

'Bram Stoker's Dracula' to Take Bite out of Blu-ray this October
Wed Jul 25, 2007 at 10:30 AM ET
Tags: Disc Announcements, Sony (all tags)

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment has announced they will bring Francis Ford Coppola's big-budget update of 'Bram Stoker's Dracula' to Blu-ray in time for Halloween.

Due in stores October 2, Sony will give everyone's favorite bloodsucker the full 1080p treatment, with the studio's usual uncompressed PCM 5.1 surround audio.

Supplemental details have not yet been revealed, but we'll keep you posted.

Retail price will list for a suggested $28.95.

:D

mollipen

VanMardigan said:
I'm sure Bill Hunt is doing it for the good of the industry and hasn't taken any favors from the Blu Ray camp or Sony..........

I would say the same thing, except I wouldn't be sarcastic about it. Don't insinuate that he's taken favors just because he picked the side you aren't on.

VanMardigan said:

Maybe he is, maybe he's not. But he was pretty much Single handedly responsible for Anamorphic transfers on DVD. He obviously didn't get paid for it.

mollipen

DarkJediKnight said:
Maybe he is, maybe he's not. But he was pretty much Single handedly responsible for Anamorphic transfers on DVD. He obviously didn't get paid for it.

How do YOU know that, huh?? And I bet the DVD industry paid him off to help kill VHS!!

StoOgE

clearly bill hunt is worried about the poor people that bought an HDDVD player, but couldnt play BRD movies on it.

Meanwhile, I bought a BRD player, and my copy of the Matrix wont play on it.. why oh why wont Bill Hunt stand up for my rights?

ManaByte

Gold Member
StoOgE said:
clearly bill hunt is worried about the poor people that bought an HDDVD player, but couldnt play BRD movies on it.

Meanwhile, I bought a BRD player, and my copy of the Matrix wont play on it.. why oh why wont Bill Hunt stand up for my rights?

Because it makes his initial argument look stupid?

djkimothy

StoOgE said:

Because that box set will be released on Blu-ray later this year?

ManaByte

Gold Member
Amazon BRD sale:

Annapolis $19.49 (44% off)
The Brothers Grimm $19.49 (44% off)
Casanova $19.49 (44% off)
Chicago $19.49 (44% off)
Chicken Little $19.49 (44% off)
Dark Water $19.49 (44% off)
Dinosaur $19.49 (44% off)
Eight Below $19.49 (44% off)
Enemy of the State $19.49 (44% off)
Finding Neverland $16.49 (45% off)
Flightplan $19.49 (44% off)
G.I. Jane $16.49 (45% off)
Glory Road $19.49 (44% off)
Goal! - The Dream Begins $19.49 (44% off)
Gone in 60 Seconds $19.49 (44% off)
The Great Raid $19.49 (44% off)
The Guardian $19.49 (44% off)
The Haunted Mansion $16.49 (45% off)
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy $18.99 (46% off)
Incincible $21.49 (46% off)
Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back $16.49 (45% off)
King Arthur $16.49 (45% off)
Ladder 49 $19.49 (44% off)
Pearl Harbor $19.49 (44% off)
Reign of Fire $19.49 (44% off)
Sky High $19.49 (44% off)
The Wild $19.49 (44% off)

djkimothy said:

You mean like Batman Begins, V for Vendetta, Forbidden Planet, Adventures of Robin Hood, and Terminator 3? With any Warner title I'll believe it when I see it. People have been swearing the Batman Begins BRD was "just months away" for the past eight months!

StoOgE

djkimothy said:

it was a joke. jeeze.

Also.. my CD player wont play my 8 track cassets. Bill Hunt, if you're out there. I could use your help right now.

djkimothy

ManaByte said:
Amazon BRD sale:

Annapolis $19.49 (44% off)
The Brothers Grimm $19.49 (44% off)
Casanova $19.49 (44% off)
Chicago $19.49 (44% off)
Chicken Little $19.49 (44% off)
Dark Water $19.49 (44% off)
Dinosaur $19.49 (44% off)
Eight Below $19.49 (44% off)
Enemy of the State $19.49 (44% off)
Finding Neverland $16.49 (45% off)
Flightplan $19.49 (44% off)
G.I. Jane $16.49 (45% off)
Glory Road $19.49 (44% off)
Goal! - The Dream Begins $19.49 (44% off)
Gone in 60 Seconds $19.49 (44% off)
The Great Raid $19.49 (44% off)
The Guardian $19.49 (44% off)
The Haunted Mansion $16.49 (45% off)
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy $18.99 (46% off)
Incincible $21.49 (46% off)
Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back $16.49 (45% off)
King Arthur $16.49 (45% off)
Ladder 49 $19.49 (44% off)
Pearl Harbor $19.49 (44% off)
Reign of Fire $19.49 (44% off)
Sky High $19.49 (44% off)
The Wild $19.49 (44% off)

:lol I don't want any of them.

djkimothy

StoOgE said:
it was a joke. jeeze.

Also.. my CD player wont play my 8 track cassets. Bill Hunt, if you're out there. I could use your help right now.

Now you're just being ridiculous.... :p

You mean like Batman Begins, V for Vendetta, Forbidden Planet, Adventures of Robin Hood, and Terminator 3? With any Warner title I'll believe it when I see it. People have been swearing the Batman Begins BRD was "just months away" for the past eight months!

Seeing as how Warner pushed those releases off due to incomplete Java specs, one would expect them to release those titles once the specs are ratified. And if they do release them for the holiday season, they're not doing HDDVD any favours.

ManaByte

Gold Member
djkimothy said:
Seeing as how Warner pushed those releases off due to incomplete Java specs, one would expect them to release those titles once the specs are ratified. And if they do release them for the holiday season, they're not doing HDDVD any favours.

These Warner HD-DVD titles are NOT yet out on BRD and not all of them have IME:

Batman Begins (IME)
V for Vendetta (IME)
The Matrix Trilogy (IME)
Forbidden Planet
Adventures of Robin Hood
Mutiny on the Bounty
The Perfect Storm
The Polar Express (ironic as Sony Imageworks, now Sony Pictures Animation, did the movie)
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (IME)
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Terminator 3 (IME)
Troy (IME)
Dukes of Hazzard (IME)
Constantine (IME)
Caddyshack
Grand Prix
Excalibur
Poseidon (IME)

Again, I won't believe anyone's claims of a specific Warner title coming out until it is actually 100% officially announced by them.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
How did you find that amazon sale mana? I'm at their Blu Ray page and I don't see "sale" or a listing. Is there anything going on for HD DVD?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
ManaByte said:

Batman Begins (IME)
V for Vendetta (IME)
The Matrix Trilogy (IME)
Forbidden Planet
Adventures of Robin Hood
Mutiny on the Bounty
The Perfect Storm
The Polar Express (ironic as Sony Imageworks, now Sony Pictures Animation, did the movie)
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (IME)
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Terminator 3 (IME)
Troy (IME)
Dukes of Hazzard (IME)
Constantine (IME)
Caddyshack
Grand Prix
Excalibur
Poseidon (IME)

Again, I won't believe anyone's claims of a specific Warner title coming out until it is actually 100% officially announced by them.
Why are we arguing about this, its no secret that Warner isnt neutral despite their claims.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
wow @ that first guy in the HT debate video :lol

ManaByte

Gold Member
VanMardigan said:
How did you find that amazon sale mana? I'm at their Blu Ray page and I don't see "sale" or a listing. Is there anything going on for HD DVD?

It was on HD Digest. Top news story right now. They have links to each disc on sale.

djkimothy

ManaByte said:

Well, the Digital Bits had an interview and this is what they had to say.

I don't have the original DB link so I'll link to AVS instead.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=9398078&&#post9398078

"WHV's objective is to have triple day and date releases for all new theatrical titles on DVD, HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc. We began this with The Lake House and more recently Superman Returns and Ant Bully. As for our catalog titles, we would like to have simultaneous HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc releases. Again, this is something we have done recently with National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation and A Christmas Story, and will be doing with Scooby-Doo and Alexander: The Director's Cut, as well as recent DVD releases coming soon to high def like Wickerman and Beerfest, both being the unrated versions.

We also plan to make every effort to "catch-up" the 2006 titles currently only out on HD DVD with the Blu-ray versions in 2007. There are two reasons that the discrepancy exists. One has to do with the interactivity layer for BD with respect to picture-in-picture functionality. Some of our titles like Batman Begins and V for Vendetta have extensive interactive experiences and we don't want the Blu-ray consumer to have a "lesser" experience. We expect that this enhanced interactivity will be ready on the Blu-ray side soon. The other reason had to do with length of movies and the availability of 50 GB discs. That situation has already improved, as the releases of Unforgiven, Last Samurai and Goodfellas (1/16) show. We are also working on Enter the Dragon and a few others for early 2007 Blu-ray release as part of that "catching up" plan."

The first point will soon be resolved this fall while the second point has been delt with.

Again with the "standalones" angle.

You'd think Europe was HD-DVD heaven from recent reports.

Of course, if it were, would the EU be investigating the BD group?

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
From HTF...

"I was correct! No region coding after all:

DVDtimes:
"I've checked with Tartan and can confirm these discs *won't be region coded*. They did note however this might change with future titles, where it looks as though it'll be decided on a case by case basis."

Rewind - DVDcompare
Site Administrator/DVD-HD reviewer "

Looks like I'll be importing the Crow if the transfer is really good :)

ManaByte

Gold Member
Just got the Miami Vice HD-DVD finally.

After 300 next week and then the 5 free discs I'll be up to 28 discs. Once I get Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead later in August I'll hit 30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom