• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
HD-DVD fights back, announces new spokesmodel:

Ugly%20Betty.jpg

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
samsung_bd-up5000_med.jpg

engadget said:
Samsung has released more details about the company's third-generation Blu-ray player lineup, including a home theater-in-a-box system, and the Duo HD dual-format HD DVD / Blu-ray player. We learned about the two Blu-ray players earlier this month, and we can add to that info support on both players for 24 or 60fps playback at 1080p. The BD-P2400 also adds 7.1-channel output, with the BD-P1400 sporting 5.1 outs. The dual-format BD-UP5000 was also announced back in April, and now we know that it will play back both of the high-definition formats at 1080p and includes the HQV upconversion processor chip found in the BD-P2400. It includes the same feature set as the BD-P2400, with Blu-ray playback at 24 or 60fps, 7.1-channel out, and Dolby Digital Plus and DTS HD support. It also has HD DVD-specific features like local storage and picture-in-picture support, while staying fully compatible with both the HDi and BD-J interactive specs. The HT-BD2 home theater system includes an 1,100-watt receiver and the same media playback features as the BD-P1400. It also includes five tower speakers, two rear satellites, and a powered sub. The BD-UP5000 will retail for $1,049, and the HT-BD2 will ship for $1,499, both in the fourth quarter of this year.

ManaByte said:
So I can't update the firmware on my A2. Keep getting the "Cannot not find server" message.

I think I read somewhere a while ago that you had to setup your clock time and then do the update and it would work. You could try it out to see if it works.

Hotarubi said:
Hopefully Warner makes those Kubricks available individually, as I don't want Clockwork Orange.

They will be sold individually...and you don't want to own Kubrick's best movie?

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
The Main Event said:
They will be sold individually...and you don't want to own Kubrick's best movie?

I was asking because the impression I got from the original promo flyer months ago made it seem like it'd be a box set. And Clockwork, to me, is his worst (and most poorly aged) by a country mile.

mollipen

ManaByte said:
I really hope someone goes to Bill Hunt's Comic Con panel and asks him how much the Blu-Ray group is supporting his site.

It's really starting to get sad when people try to use this defense. People choose what they think is the better between two options all of the time without being paid off. Bill chose Blu-ray: deal with it.

ManaByte said:
Ever wonder why there aren't any Universal movies on UMD?

The Chronicles of Riddick, American Pie, American Pie 2, The Bourne Supremacy, 2 Fast 2 Furious, 8 Mile, The Fast and the Furious, Friday Night Lights, Unleashed, Van Helsing, Jarhead, American Wedding, The Rundown, Assault on Precinct 13, The Bourne Identity , Pitch Black, Dawn of the Dead, First Descent , Doom, Carlito's Way - Rise to Power.

Nice try, though.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Posted that a page or two back Mana :p,but it doesnt hurt to post it again so more people can see the link.

bdfoot.jpg

VanMardigan said:
That was the Target megaton? REALLY? Not even frickin exclusive???? pfffft, Sony should find better ways to spend their money. Send more of it Bill's way, since the folks here love to quote him every time he re-affirms his BRD support like it's something new or revelatory.

Like we don't have 3x the number of quotes from Kenny G about standalones.

Mana, re. Universal's "grudge" against Sony: Go to Amazon search "Universal UMD"

There are a bunch. You're talking out your ass. Why release *any* UMD's if they hold a grudge? All that money, straight to their "rival." Sure.

Last: Funny how the Target news is scoffed at, and yet that Wal*Mart non-news (merely selling a player) was somehow supposed to bury Blu-Ray. :lol

Ponn

Banned
ManaByte said:
I really hope someone goes to Bill Hunt's Comic Con panel and asks him how much the Blu-Ray group is supporting his site.

Hmm...I don't remember you this passionate when Harry Knowles very vocally and still claims HD-DVD is his clear choice with no room for neutrality and won't even (still today) review any blu-ray discs or even talk about it. Hell, he even went so far as to spread obviously false shit about blu-ray (which i've never seen Bill Hunt do).

Where is your "neutrality" there?

VanMardigan said:
That's the first question that came to mind. If it does, this seems like the perfect machine (for next year, when the price is reasonable).

Doesn't it have to, to display the logo (which it does)?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
HELL YEAH, it has an Ethernet port. This thing makes the format war frickin moot, provided they can drive down the price soon enough:

medium_899799034_4d83019873_o.jpg

gizmodo said:
I just had some hands on time with Samsung's BD-UP5000 Duo HD, their first hybrid Blu-ray and HD DVD disc player. It's so good, it might as well be called BD-UP-Yours-Format-War. (Get it? Yea, sorry, that wasn't too funny.) It's not the industries first hybrid disc player, the LG BH100 has that honor. But it is the first to actually be fully compatible with both, and therefore the one that could end the HD Disc bitch fight.

Unlike the LG, the BD-UP5000 is fully HD DVD compliant, able to play back all the interactive menus and features that are the hallmark of the format. I tested it with The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift and things came out flawless. Even though this was a prototype drive. Also, the drive has local storage and ethernet, which are part of the HD DVD spec.

The UP5000 also features an HQV Reon processor, the same video scaler and deinterlacer that made the current gen Toshiba HD DVD player's images so good.

Blu-ray discs played fine, and I wish I'd brought along the Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest to see if the Blu-ray Java problems persisted. But I doubt that is an issue, given the fact that the bug is well known and was patched across the board last month.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
Ponn01 said:
Hmm...I don't remember you this passionate when Harry Knowles very vocally and still claims HD-DVD is his clear choice with no room for neutrality and won't even (still today) review any blu-ray discs or even talk about it. Hell, he even went so far as to spread obviously false shit about blu-ray (which i've never seen Bill Hunt do).

Where is your "neutrality" there?

It's been ground into mince as the obvious hypocrisy is revealed.
Over and over and over again.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
From Samsung's Release:

Samsung introduces its first dual-format High-Definition (HD) optical disc player, the BD-UP5000 Duo HD Player. This player is positioned as the flagship in the company's growing line of high definition players. Offering the same playback capabilities of the BD-P2400 including HQV (Hollywood Quality Video) processing, the BD-UP5000 supports both Blu-ray and HD-DVD formats as well as their interactive technologies, HDi and BD-Java. Consumers can now enjoy additional studio content such as trailers, director's comments, more elaborate interactive menus and behind the scene footage.

With the launch of the Duo HD, Samsung stays true to its commitment to develop products that make life simpler through its breadth of innovative technologies. The Duo HD player blends the benefits of each format in a single player, offering access to hi-definition movie titles regardless of the authoring format.

ManaByte

Gold Member
VanMardigan said:
HELL YEAH, it has an Ethernet port. This thing makes the format war frickin moot, provided they can drive down the price soon enough:

medium_899799034_4d83019873_o.jpg

Well Dual Format players killed the SACD/DVD-Audio format war to the point where both formats co-exist so yes.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
ManaByte said:
Well Dual Format players killed the SACD/DVD-Audio format war to the point where both formats co-exist so yes.

And we're still seeing the ramifications of how stupid the format war is there when players are still released with one or the other but not both.

Raistlin

VanMardigan said:

:/

The format war will be over before a universal is priced at a competative level. It exists to serve the A/Vphile ... not to affect the market.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Crayon Shinchan said:
And we're still seeing the ramifications of how stupid the format war is there when players are still released with one or the other but not both.

The format war is here. You can't end it. Stop bitching, it's tiring to hear it like somehow mana, main event, or I could prevent the format war or boost Blu Ray to mainstream acceptance.

Here's the spec sheet for the Samsungs:

Samsung_BD_Chart.jpg

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
VanMardigan said:
The format war is here. You can't end it. Stop bitching, it's tiring to hear it like somehow mana, main event, or I could prevent the format war or boost Blu Ray to mainstream acceptance.

What? Stop reading shit into what I'm not saying.

Only point is, format war = dumb.

You guys don't seem to mind the idea though, which is what irks me; in the sense, why would any level headed consumer WANT a format war of this nature??

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'm just saying that player prices during this format war have fallen very quickly. I'm guessing the disagreement is either the time line of the format war's end or what your perception of a competitive price point is.

Only point is, format war = dumb.

No shit, but it's not up to people in this thread. It's up to the market in general, so bitching here is just annoying.

You guys don't seem to mind the idea though, which is what irks me;

wtf? Nobody wants a damn format war, but its here, and I have a damn HD DVD player. So do a lot of other people. There isn't anything I can do about this. I'm not going to spend $500 on a Ps3 right now (if ever) and I want to watch HD movies. Out of the million reasons why there is a format war, none of them involve the people in this thread. STOP BITCHING.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
VanMardigan said:
I'm just saying that player prices during this format war have fallen very quickly. I'm guessing the disagreement is either the time line of the format war's end or what your perception of a competitive price point is.

HD-DVD prices have fallen quickly.

BD prices are falling relative to the PS3.

You keep mentioning prices as a draw... but you don't strike me as someone that's going to have a major interest in $99 players. Nor do I think you'd care all that much if BD prices fell into a price range affordable for you.

Your avatar is saying: You're going to be picking up a BD player in the form of a PS3 early 2008, whether or not you like it... so what draw does a cheap BD player have for you?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Meh, I never owned a Ps2 despite the awesomeness that was MGS3. And onix, if you think the format war was what prevented SACD/DVDA from being mainstream, we'll have to disagree again. A format for audiophiles never stood a chance when most folks are perfectly content with 128kbps iTunes downloads.

The same question can be raised about HD disc media. I think it has a much better chance of going mainstream, regardless of format war.

edit: crayon: some Blu Ray players have had deeper cuts in relation to their initial prices than the Toshiba HD DVD players. It's just that Toshiba started at lower price points.

Raistlin

VanMardigan said:
And onix, if you think the format war was what prevented SACD/DVDA from being mainstream, we'll have to disagree again.

I didn't say that. While it didn't help matters, I've had numerous posts in this thread arguing that the situation SACD/DVDA was in is vastly different than BD/HD DVD.

mollipen

Ignatz Mouse said:
Mana, re. Universal's "grudge" against Sony: Go to Amazon search "Universal UMD"

There are a bunch. You're talking out your ass. Why release *any* UMD's if they hold a grudge? All that money, straight to their "rival." Sure.

Don't bother... I think he's ignoring our calling him out on that one. *heh*

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Jesus, someone tell me why you want both formats to co-exist? This is not a good thing.
And comparisons to SACD/DVD-A 'coexisting' are retarded, theres almost absolutly nothing worth owning on SACD/DVD-A and i love surround sound and i like surround sound music.
What a promising thing either of those formats were.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
VanMardigan said:
Meh, I never owned a Ps2 despite the awesomeness that was MGS3.

So... somehow, you LOVE HD media, and you LOVE MGS, but you still can't see yourself picking up a PS3?

/mumbles something about pearls before swine.

Raistlin

VanMardigan said:
So could you please explain this:

It seems to imply that the format war lead to them being a niche market.

When you assume ... :p

Regardless of whether the format wars are similar or not, I was simply commenting that citing SACD/DVDA as any sort of worthwhile coexistence borders on ridiculous.

That would see BD/HD DVD as having a few years of mediocre support by a handful of big-name studios, followed by a few years of limited support from indy studios.

That’s hardly a roadmap to a worthwhile coexistence.

VanMardigan said:
wtf? Nobody wants a damn format war, but its here, and I have a damn HD DVD player. So do a lot of other people. There isn't anything I can do about this. I'm not going to spend $500 on a Ps3 right now (if ever) and I want to watch HD movies. Out of the million reasons why there is a format war, none of them involve the people in this thread. STOP BITCHING.

You are a big contradiction. You like MGS, and yet you never ever owned a PS2 nor plan to get a PS3?? That's....pretty idiotic, IMO.

Dude, you made a bad investment and wasted your money on that HD DVD player. You just want the format war to end up favourably for you so you can justify your mistake...

Logan Cano said:
Dude, you made a bad investment and wasted your money on that HD DVD player. You just want the format war to end up favourably for you so you can justify your mistake...

Please...HD DVD owners wasted money on their HD DVD player. That's one of the oldest and most ignorant FUD argument a person can make.

Keep it original folks.

The Main Event said:
Please...HD DVD owners wasted money on their HD DVD player. That's one of the oldest and most ignorant FUD argument a person can make.

Keep it original folks.

According to Van, it doesn't matter what any of us say anyway, so np, right?

ManaByte

Gold Member
Logan Cano said:

I can watch some of my favorite movies of all time in HD RIGHT NOW (Apollo 13, Forbidden Planet, Batman Begins, Th Big Lebowski, The Matrix, Hot Fuzz, Shaun of the Dead) thanks to my HD-DVD player so I don't feel like I wasted my money at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom