• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

yacobod

Banned
VanMardigan said:
I know you hate me right now, but it's eerily uncanny how alike our movie tastes are (except for your lack of comedies).

naw i dont hate u or anyone else, but sometimes this thread becomes a little tired lol

ya i may get knocked up, but i've tried to avoid picking up comedies in hd w/a few exceptions, because i feel they dont gain as much as action/period/sci-fi flicks

cvxfreak

Which version of Letters from Iwo Jima is the superior one?

I just saw it on On Demand and I was blown away -- definitely something I want to see in high def, and instantly one of my top 5 movies.

Mifune

Mehmber
I just watched the trailer for Elizabeth: The Golden Age, and man that's gonna look glorious in HD.

With this, Children of Men, Hot Fuzz, and Shaun, my HD-DVD-envy grows powerful.

Do anyone else find that HD-DVD's are dark? I turn up the brightness on my TV but it doesn't seem to really help. Blacks are extremely dark and details are lost, whereas when I play blu ray everything seems fine. Is there some weird issue with the Xbox HD-DVD drives? I thought it might be my TV but my friends TV is different and he has the same issue.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
cvxfreak said:
Which version of Letters from Iwo Jima is the superior one?

I just saw it on On Demand and I was blown away -- definitely something I want to see in high def, and instantly one of my top 5 movies.

Both are identical visually. The HD DVD Letters of Iwo Jima does boast an additional Dolby Digital Plus track in addition to the Dolby TrueHD track, while the BR version only has a regular DD track in addition to the True HD track. The HD DVD version is also a combo disc until they re-issue it as HD DVD only on October 2nd.

jjasper

What am I looking forward to? A lot!
BD:
Van Wilder
Blades of Glory
Evil Dead 2
Halloween
Dawn of the Dead
Top Gun
2001: A Space Odyssey
A Clockwork Orange
The Shining
Face/Off
Spiderman Trilogy
Ratatouille
Cars (I am not really but I know I will own it since my g/f loves it)
Pixar Collection (maybe)
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Lost Season 3
Pirates 3
Superbad
Badder Santa
*Some other stuff if Fox deicides to give us their goods.

HD:
Knocked Up
Bourne Trilogy (I am just going to wait for the eventual pack)
Heroes Season 1
Battlestar Galactica: Season 1

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Isn't Dawn of the Dead an HD DVD exclusive? And it's jarring to see such a huge list for BR and a small one for HD DVD until I realize you just put the multi-format ones on the BR side.

jjasper

VanMardigan said:
Isn't Dawn of the Dead an HD DVD exclusive? And it's jarring to see such a huge list for BR and a small one for HD DVD until I realize you just put the multi-format ones on the BR side.

The remake is but the original is BD exculsive, another casualty of war.

:lol yeah I did cause I will be 3 months or so without a player, and there aren't too many exculsives this year I am really looking forward to.

Edit: I forgot Bourne, oops

I haven't been keeping a list, but I know there are not enough now, and too many Q4.

Off the top of my head:

Ratatoille
Cars
Blade Runner
Kubrick Films
The HD-DVD holdouts from Warner (Batman Begins, Matrix, V for Vendetta)
Spider-Man movies

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Ignatz, that Panasonic projector got rave reviews, but I found a Mitsubishi HD1000U for half the price on Amazon and that one got decent reviews as well. I'm not sure I would notice the difference in PQ between the two. The only problem with this is that it only has one HDMI connection, but I already have the 360 VGA cable, so that won't be a big problem in that regard. What do you think?

Oldboy specs released :
original.jpeg

artan Video has issued a new street date and a complete list of specs for its debut US Blu-ray release, 'Oldboy.'

As first announced last month, 'Oldboy' was set to kick-off the indie distributor's support of high-def with an exclusive Blu-ray release on October 23.
ADVERTISEMENT

Now the company has released further details for the title, which include a new street date of November 6, plus an extensive set of supplements for the planned Blu-ray and DVD two-disc set.

The first BD-50 Blu-ray disc will contain the unrated version of the feature film in 1080p/AVC MPEG-4 video, with Korean DTS-HD Lossless Master Audio 5.1 Surround and Dolby EX 5.1 Surround tracks (an optional English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround dub will also be provided).

Extras on that first disc are set include than three audio commentaries with the director, the cast, and members of the technical crew, plus deleted scenes (with optional director commentary) and the original theatrical trailer.

The second disc -- a standard-def DVD -- will include a five-part making-of documentary, six additional featurettes, interviews with the cast and crew, and trailers for other Tartan titles.

Tartan has set a $34.95 list price for the release.

AgentOtaku said:
read about the Oldboy release this morning....shit...looks like I'll have to buy again (>__<)

I am getting ready to drop $80 for Ghost in the Shell on blu ray next week so I have no sympathy! :D
At least I can get that fat $1.50 in trade in for the dvd version that I have.

123rl

OokieSpookie said:
Oldboy specs released :
original.jpeg

$35? It's £30 in the UK!! :lol

So that's an absolute no-brainer import decision for me then. Fucking greedy European distributors piss me off!

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
You can get Apocalypto here; Xploited is a great US-based shop that stocks a lot of other HD imports (including the Prestige). Aside from that, it's sometimes easiest (and cheaper) to go right to the source: Amazon UK + Amazon France.

I can't understand a thing on that site. Is there an English language site where I can order it from, even if it costs a bit more?

I finally picked up Sopranos on Blu-ray. I wanted to get it but the price was too high at B&M stores. Hit the flea Market and was able to luckily find it for $50can.

On a semi-related note, some of you may remember my Marantz receiver blew up about a month ago. I had it sent in to have repairs. It has been replaced by a new one. I think I may just end up selling it on Ebay since it's new and get one of the HDMI 1.3 receivers. The Marantz was too big for my room and really made the place hot. I could use that money saved for other purposes.

123rl

Just watched a little bit of Air Force One on Bluray. Looks very good from the little bits I saw so I'm looking forward to it.

OokieSpookie said:
I am getting ready to drop $80 for Ghost in the Shell on blu ray next week so I have no sympathy! :D
At least I can get that fat $1.50 in trade in for the dvd version that I have.

I would really love to own GitS...hell I springed for the UK 2-Disc version of Innocence....but I just can't spend THAT much....

guess I'm in for a long wait then....

karasu

xS1TH L0RDx said:
this format war really makes you realize how many fantastic movies universal puts out and how many shitty ones companies like fox put out.

It makes me realize that mostly shitty movies are being released on both sides of the war.

jjasper

excuse my ignorance I don't know much about anime but is ghost in the shell the one with the basset hound in it? I don't remember much about it but I have a basset hound so I remember that:lol

VanMardigan said:
Ignatz, that Panasonic projector got rave reviews, but I found a Mitsubishi HD1000U for half the price on Amazon and that one got decent reviews as well. I'm not sure I would notice the difference in PQ between the two. The only problem with this is that it only has one HDMI connection, but I already have the 360 VGA cable, so that won't be a big problem in that regard. What do you think?

I'll take a look at the reviews. I'm not a high-end guy, really, so any HD is better than none, as long as there are no iissues like screendoors or whatever. Check native resolution and what signals it supports.

The VGA connector should work just fine.

Half price is very hard to argue with. What are the actual prices you are comparing? I got the Panny for for under $1500. If you can get anything decent for under a $1000, that's awesome!

Edit: Just looked at the reviews and specs, and that looks like an awesome projector for the price, looks comprable to mine. If I were shopping today, that would be a serious contender.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
DarkJediKnight said:
I finally picked up Sopranos on Blu-ray. I wanted to get it but the price was too high at B&M stores. Hit the flea Market and was able to luckily find it for $50can.

On a semi-related note, some of you may remember my Marantz receiver blew up about a month ago. I had it sent in to have repairs. It has been replaced by a new one. I think I may just end up selling it on Ebay since it's new and get one of the HDMI 1.3 receivers. The Marantz was too big for my room and really made the place hot. I could use that money saved for other purposes.
What receiver did you get?
I freaking love my 705. Im just amazed by its features, like i set it up to matrix just about every 5.1 signal it can receive to matrix it into 7.1 using Neural THX. Im sure other receivers do this, but i have never had a receiver this nice.

ghostmind

Let me try this again:

I've got 4 HD-DVDs (from my brief affair with that format) that I want to trade-in/sell somewhere (Batman Begins, MI-3, Superman Returns, Superman II Donner). Short of eBay, where can I get some cash/credit for these?

So Blockbuster? Hollywood Video? elsewhere?

jjasper

ghostmind said:
Let me try this again:

I've got 4 HD-DVDs (from my brief affair with that format) that I want to trade-in/sell somewhere (Batman Begins, MI-3, Superman Returns, Superman II Donner). Short of eBay, where can I get some cash/credit for these?

So Blockbuster? Hollywood Video? elsewhere?

I know they accept them at EB/GS expect to get between $7-9 for each

jjasper said:
excuse my ignorance I don't know much about anime but is ghost in the shell the one with the basset hound in it? I don't remember much about it but I have a basset hound so I remember that:lol

That is Innocence , the second one.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Ignatz Mouse said:
Edit: Just looked at the reviews and specs, and that looks like an awesome projector for the price, looks comprable to mine. If I were shopping today, that would be a serious contender.

thanks, that's what I thought. It seems like an awesome bargain. I never even thought about getting a projector until I used one on vacation. I just need to figure out the placement, but since I have a room in my house that's all mine, I'll experiment. I just borrowed a Dell so I can test out positioning and stuff.

What about screens? I have a white wall in the room, but it has ridges. Amazon sells one for $80.

I painted my (already smooth) wall. Flat ceiling paint. People say that you should use special stuff, but I don't see the benefit clearly. I figured I could always upgrade later.

thaivo

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070820/ap_on_hi_te/dueling_dvd_formats_2

BOOM! :D

LOS ANGELES - Paramount Pictures and DreamWorks Animation SKG announced Monday that they will offer next-generation DVDs in the HD DVD format rather than Blu-ray, a move that further complicates the race between the competing technologies.

The move by the two studios will include the upcoming blockbuster "Shrek the Third" and all movies distributed by Paramount Pictures, DreamWorks Pictures, Paramount Vantage, Nickelodeon Movies and MTV Films, as well as movies from DreamWorks Animation, which are distributed exclusively by Paramount Home Entertainment.

"Part of our vision is to aggressively extend our movies beyond the theater, and deliver the quality and features that appeal to our audience," said Brad Grey, chairman and chief executive of Paramount Pictures. "I believe HD DVD is not only the affordable high quality choice for consumers, but also the smart choice for Paramount."

The competition between Blu-ray and HD DVD has kept confused consumers from rushing to buy new DVD players until they can determine which format will dominate the market.

Studios and retailers have been choosing sides.

"Spider-Man 3" will only be available in the Blu-ray DVD format when it is released by Sony Pictures.

Likewise, people with Blu-ray players won't be able to enjoy the action-thriller "The Bourne Ultimatum," which Universal Pictures will release only in HD DVD.

jjasper

I know it is about a bunch of movies but Shrek the 3rd is the only one listed so I am going to take this chance to say that Shrek the 3rd is the worst movie I have seen this year.

"Part of our vision is to aggressively extend our movies beyond the theater, and deliver the quality and features that appeal to our audience," said Brad Grey, chairman and chief executive of Paramount Pictures. "I believe HD DVD is not only the affordable high quality choice for consumers, but also the smart choice for Paramount."

It will be funny if they are combo and cost more than every BD out there.

maynerd

Banned
Does Blu-ray have the ability to have both dvd and blu-ray versions of a movie on the same disc or is that an HD-DVD only thing?

jjasper

Ignatz Mouse said:
Paramount going HD-DVD exclusive? Megaton if true (and very annoying!)

I don't. I think it is DreamWorks Animation SKG stuff that is put out by Paramount Pictures, DreamWorks Pictures, Paramount Vantage, Nickelodeon Movies and MTV Films.

I could be wrong it is hard to tell from the PR.

Edit: I like how it talks about choosing sides then lists a Sony movie, like they really picked which side to put Spiderman 3 out on.:lol

Edit 2: Actually reading it again makes it seem like Paramount is HD exculsive. Someone needs to put out a better PR that one sucks:p

I don't get why Paramount would go HD exclusive. Their Blu-ray movies outsell the HD DVD version. Whatever the reason, it just extends the damn format war even further.

Laurent

Ignatz Mouse said:
Paramount going HD-DVD exclusive? Megaton if true (and very annoying!)
Wasn't Paramount the first to announce that it were doing both formats? Suddently, my copy of Coming to America just increased in value! ;oP

maynerd

Banned
thaivo said:
Isn't Transformers a Paramount / Dreamworks production? That would be a great boon to HDVD if it is exclusive?

This better freakin come out on blu-ray or there is gonna be bloodshed!

Reading a little deeper, it looks like the details have not all been released-- and that this isn't exclusivity, at least not day one. The concrete details I read said-- anything Paramount puts out on BD they will have to release on HD-DVD as well, and that there will at least be some catalog releases made HD-DVD exclusive. Nothing about abandoning BD except is analysts' remarks.

Perhaps not a megaton after all.

thaivo said:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070820/ap_on_hi_te/dueling_dvd_formats_2

BOOM! :D

LOS ANGELES - Paramount Pictures and DreamWorks Animation SKG announced Monday that they will offer next-generation DVDs in the HD DVD format rather than Blu-ray, a move that further complicates the race between the competing technologies.

The move by the two studios will include the upcoming blockbuster "Shrek the Third" and all movies distributed by Paramount Pictures, DreamWorks Pictures, Paramount Vantage, Nickelodeon Movies and MTV Films, as well as movies from DreamWorks Animation, which are distributed exclusively by Paramount Home Entertainment.

The competition between Blu-ray and HD DVD has kept confused consumers from rushing to buy new DVD players until they can determine which format will dominate the market.

Studios and retailers have been choosing sides.

"Spider-Man 3" will only be available in the Blu-ray DVD format when it is released by Sony Pictures.

Likewise, people with Blu-ray players won't be able to enjoy the action-thriller "The Bourne Ultimatum," which Universal Pictures will release only in HD DVD.
wait wait, does this apply to the live-action stuff too or just to the animation? I know Dreamworks split up awhile back.

DarkJediKnight said:
I don't get why Paramount would go HD exclusive. Their Blu-ray movies outsell the HD DVD version. Whatever the reason, it just extends the damn format war even further.

According to the articles, a $100,000,000 incentive payment.

AZ Greg

I know we got the news of Columbia House planning to add blu-ray and hd-dvd to their catalog a bit back and that they said then it would happen sometime in 2007, but I was wondering if anybody has any idea when exactly they will begin carrying them?

Wulfer

maynerd said:
This better freakin come out on blu-ray or there is gonna be bloodshed!

You know this actually the kind of title I was thinking that would push alot of cheap HD players. Funny if true and it shows up on HD-DVD exclusive this year. :lol

Blu-Hq, Blu-Hq we have a problem we've lost Paramount. "Sir what happened I thought we paid them enough to go Blu exclusive?" Well sir, apparently we did not!

thaivo

Ignatz Mouse said:
Reading a little deeper, it looks like the details have not all been released-- and that this isn't exclusivity, at least not day one. The concrete details I read said-- anything Paramount puts out on BD they will have to release on HD-DVD as well, and that there will at least be some catalog releases made HD-DVD exclusive. Nothing about abandoning BD except is analysts' remarks.

Perhaps not a megaton after all.

Actually, there was an analyst that was speculating about the news, and the Yahoo news story asserting HD-DVD exclusivity came out after, and cleared things up a little more. So if the AP, and Yahoo are to believed, it is exclusivity of not just catalog titles. However, even if they were catalog titles:

godfather1.jpg

indiana.jpg

are Paramount catalog titles..

yacobod

Banned
wow call me shocked, but thats huge news, MEGATON indeed, i guess Transformers will be hd-dvd exclusive, hopefully this means Gladiator will be coming out soon too

this is a pretty huge monkey wrench in the format war imo

MechDX

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/08-20-2007/0004648398&EDATE=

Movies Distributed by Paramount Home Entertainment Including Paramount
Pictures, DreamWorks Animation SKG, DreamWorks Pictures, Paramount Vantage,
Nickelodeon Movies and MTV Films to be Released Exclusively in HD DVD
Exclusive Program To Begin with Release of "Blades of Glory," Followed by
"Transformers" and "Shrek the Third," Films Representing More Than $1.5
Billion in Combined Worldwide Box Office

Transformers is HD DVD ONLY!:lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom