• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Pixar/Disney should put Finding Nemo and The Incredibles on Blu-ray this year.

Is Pixar blu-ray exclusive?

GuessWho said:
yeah and only one of them is actually watchable, that being transformers.

Yea but all 3 Spider-man movies will be on blu-ray, especially the popular one, spider-man 2. The sales for the blu-ray trilogy spider-man set will probably be big this year.

ManaByte

Gold Member
neojubei said:

Pixar is Disney, so they are for now as long as HD-DVD is region free. And Nemo is November 2008; already announced. They're planning PnP so they can't release it until 1.1 is finalized.

amba

neojubei said:

As part of Disney they are. And they already have Ratatouille, Cars and Pixar Shorts coming out this year.

They can't blow their whole wad at once.

GuessWho said:
yeah and only one of them is actually watchable, that being transformers.

Meh, I haven't seen Shrek 3 but enjoyed Spider-man 3 and Pirates 3, and loved Transformers, but that's all irrelevant to what what all these film have and can achieve for their respective studio and exclusive HD releases.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I'm amazed at how many of you can't see more than a few feet in front of you.

Do you honestly think, this EARLY in the format war, Paramount have done this for SHORT term gains?

It's a move that's been made for the LONG TERM. It will have VERY LITTLE effect now, but it will simply assist in ending the war.

Considering the relationship Warner Bros has with the HD DVD format in general, I wouldn't be surprised to see them go next. THEN it would officially be game over.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
ManaByte said:
Pixar is Disney, so they are for now as long as HD-DVD is region free. And Nemo is November 2008; already announced. They're planning PnP so they can't release it until 1.1 is finalized.

PnP for nemo??? AWESOME. Hopefully the Incredibles gets the same treatment.

womfalcs3 said:
New blu-ray releases listed from FOX/MGM

TITLE, N.A. RELEASE, INTERNATIONAL RELEASE
MASTER & COMMANDER OCT. 2 OCT.
THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW OCT. 2 NOV.
FROM HELL OCT. 9 OCT.
THE FLY (1986) OCT. 9 Q1 08
EDWARD SCISSORHANDS OCT. 9 NOV.
28 DAYS LATER OCT. 9 North America Only
ROBOCOP (MGM) OCT. 9 DEC.
AMITYVILLE HORROR (1979) (MGM) OCT. 9 North America Only
BATTLE OF BRITAIN (MGM) NOV. 6 Q1 08
A BRIDGE TOO FAR (MGM) NOV. 6 Q1 08
I, ROBOT NOV. 13 Q1 08
DIE HARD NOV NOV.
DIE HARD 2 DIE HARDER NOV NOV.
DIE HARD WITH A VENGEANCE NOV NOV
RED DAWN (MGM) NOV Q1 08
MR. AND MRS. SMITH DEC. 4 DEC.
INDEPENDENCE DAY DEC. 4 DEC.

CAST AWAY DEC. 4 North America Only
RONIN (MGM) DEC. 4 DEC

Thanks for the list. I'll look forward to these titles. :D

Bebpo said:
I thought we established it was money being put on a check to them. It obviously wasn't sales figures because their BD discs outsell their HD-DVD ones...

Sales are one thing, but it's much cheaper and simpler to convert for HD DVD mass production. I'm sure that's no small factor.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Bebpo said:
I thought we established it was money being put on a check to them. It obviously wasn't sales figures because their BD discs outsell their HD-DVD ones...

Attach rates appear to be in vogue this season.

In which case HD DVD outshines Blu-ray quite comfortably.

methane47

Shpeshal Ed said:
It's a move that's been made for the LONG TERM. It will have VERY LITTLE effect now, but it will simply assist in ending the war.

How will it do that? The war was set to end this coming January... And now... it will prolong the war a couple more years..

Cold-Steel said:
No shit.

5 free HD-DVDs with player purchase started all that.

that can no longer be argued since blu ray offers the same fucking deal. and to ps3 owners who for the majority aside from teh free movies will probably never buy another hi def movie again

StanTheCaddy said:
that can no longer be argued since blu ray offers the same fucking deal. and to ps3 owners who aside from teh free movies will probably never buy another hi def movie again

READ:

No shit.

5 free HD-DVDs with player purchase **started** all that.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Shpeshal Ed said:

Do you honestly think, this EARLY in the format war, Paramount have done this for SHORT term gains?

Considering the relationship Warner Bros has with the HD DVD format in general, I wouldn't be surprised to see them go next. THEN it would officially be game over.

Short term gain... huge moneyhat.

Long term gain... having your movies outsold 2:1?

Sound long term business decision I guess.

How you see this as somehow assisting in ending the format war is beyond me.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
XMonkey said:
Short term gain... huge moneyhat.

Long term gain... having your movies outsold 2:1?

Sound long term business decision I guess.

How you see this as somehow assisting in ending the format war is beyond me.

Yup. HD-DVD is going to be around for another year at least. Probably much longer than that.

Really, it's going to be up to the retailers at this point. Their exclusivity is going to end the war quicker than the studios it seems.

HyperionX

The title change is going to be really misleading. Like I said before, HD-DVD is still in a bad position, with virtually no chance of victory. Even if they get more boosts, like a WB switch, Blu-ray will still have about 50% of the market exclusive (and Fox, Disney, and Sony simply will not budge). Combined with other factors, like worse sales, fewer players in consumer's hands, only one stand-alone player maker, inferior technology, worse retail support, etc., it's basically impossible for them to get out of their hole.

So we are seeing a extension of the format war, not that the war's conclusion is in any serious doubt.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I think we're all still forgetting the recognition of the DVD logo within the HD DVD logo. It may seem like NOTHING at all to us, but I still think it makes a difference once HD movies eventually hit the masses.

Cletis is more likeyl to recognise the HD DVD logo and see it as a natural progression from DVD, as opposed to seeing something new in Blu-ray and having no clue what it is.

But that CAN work both ways. They could see HD DVD as being no real different product from DVD I guess, and see Blu-ray as something 'new'

Who the fuck knows. I'm personally glad this happened, I'm sick of all the weak ass, piss poor Blu-ray transfers. Other than Pirates and Ghost Rider, the rest look like shit, so why would you want Blu-ray to win anyway?

Shpeshal Ed said:

How is it that only having Universal neutral does not mean anything up to this point, but having Sony/Columbia, Fox, and Disney/Pixar does not? :lol

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Shpeshal Ed said:
I'm personally glad this happened, I'm sick of all the weak ass, piss poor Blu-ray transfers. Other than Pirates and Ghost Rider, the rest look like shit, so why would you want Blu-ray to win anyway?

What the hell are you talking about.

SRG01

chubigans said:
Yup. HD-DVD is going to be around for another year at least. Probably much longer than that.

Really, it's going to be up to the retailers at this point. Their exclusivity is going to end the war quicker than the studios it seems.

The war has always been about the retailers. When you see big box stores like Best Buy having a huge rack up front for BD titles compared to the tiny HD DVD section, you know who they support.

Hell, they don't even need to moneyhat a retailer in the next few months. All they need to do is set up some kind of exclusive offer with a big name retailer somewhere on the lines of "Buy two BDs and get the third one free!" with the BDA fronting the cost of the third one.

ManaByte

Gold Member
HyperionX said:
and Fox, Disney, and Sony simply will not budge.

Fox and Disney are ONLY on BRD due to BD+ and region coding. Neither of them planned to support either HD format, but then the BD-A revised the BRD specs to include region coding to appease Fox and Disney so they jumped on. So to say they simply will not budge is speaking out of ignorance.

SRG01

Shpeshal Ed said:
Who the fuck knows. I'm personally glad this happened, I'm sick of all the weak ass, piss poor Blu-ray transfers.

Okay, just stop trolling. All of the early BD transfers were admittedly "poor" but all current releases are just as good -- if not better -- than HD DVD.

Shpeshal Ed said:
I think we're all still forgetting the recognition of the DVD logo within the HD DVD logo. It may seem like NOTHING at all to us, but I still think it makes a difference once HD movies eventually hit the masses.

Cletis is more likeyl to recognise the HD DVD logo and see it as a natural progression from DVD, as opposed to seeing something new in Blu-ray and having no clue what it is.

But that CAN work both ways. They could see HD DVD as being no real different product from DVD I guess, and see Blu-ray as something 'new'

Who the fuck knows. I'm personally glad this happened, I'm sick of all the weak ass, piss poor Blu-ray transfers. Other than Pirates and Ghost Rider, the rest look like shit, so why would you want Blu-ray to win anyway?

Well I didn't give you alot of credit at the start of your post because if that was a big deal HD would be in better position by now, after all the hd-dvd and dvd logo have been there from day one.
But then you went and just came out of the assclown closet with the close of your post.
Good show.

HyperionX

ManaByte said:
Fox and Disney are ONLY on BRD due to BD+ and region coding. Neither of them planned to support either HD format, but then the BD-A revised the BRD specs to include region coding to appease Fox and Disney so they jumped on. So to say they simply will not budge is speaking out of ignorance.

Maybe you haven't their PR lately, but these guys have fully committed to supporting Blu-ray, including bashing HD-DVD and advertising for Blu-ray. There's next to no possibility of them moving to HD-DVD now, and it's not just region encoding and BD+.

Sony haterz in uproar! :lol

Upon reflection, this announcement probably won't have any impact on the larger war except slowing it-- but if other studios move because of it, it's bad news.

ABout Disney moving-- in case anybody missed it, they have a roadshow advertising BluRay and pumping up demand for it. I don't think they're going to switch before Universal goes Blu.

ManaByte

Gold Member
HyperionX said:
Maybe you haven't their PR lately, but these guys have fully committed to supporting Blu-ray, including bashing HD-DVD and advertising for Blu-ray. There's next to no possibility of them moving to HD-DVD now, and it's not just region encoding and BD+.

No, it is region coding because they will never release their stuff on a region free format. So yes they are correct for the time being.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
HyperionX said:

Yup. I mean really, as soon as Paramount announced this Fox went right down their throat and fast-tracked their huge announcements for today.

Meanwhile, Disney is going on a nationwide tour with their Blu-Ray booths showcasing their BD-J tech and newest BD movies.

There is no way in hell Disney, Fox or Sony are moving anywhere but BD.

LOL that DVD logo = HD-DVD.

I've seen people pick up HD-DVD only to find out it doesn't work on the DVD player and get just as upset as people who pick up Blu-ray movies only to find out they don't work on their HD-DVD players and vice versa.

What a stupid point.

ManaByte

Gold Member
chubigans said:
There is no way in hell Disney, Fox or Sony are moving anywhere but BD.

If HD-DVD were to add region coding and more severe DRM to satisfy Fox and Disney (and I am NOT SAYING THEY EVER WOULD) and Warner would put more strength behind HD-DVD; they'd move over. Just like Fox dropped DIVX for DVD in 1998.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
SRG01 said:
Okay, just stop trolling. All of the early BD transfers were admittedly "poor" but all current releases are just as good -- if not better -- than HD DVD.

Yes, trolling. Nice.

Rocky Balboa isn't exactly an OLD movie is it now? It still looks like ass. I'd know, I bought the damn movie. My brother bought both Pirates movies and they look AMAZING, no doubt.

I purchased Ghost Rider, and I can't find fault in the transfer. But a handfull of quality trasfers considering the plethora of films out at the moment isn't exactly great.

The only 'new' HD DVD movie transfer that disappointed me somewhat is The Departed. Bitterly disappointed in the quality on that one.

In the end, I bought a BD and a HD DVD player so the war wouldn't bother me. But in my experience so far, the HD DVD movies outshine the BD movies regularly, so why wouldn't I prefer the HD DVD format to eventually win out?

In the end, I still get to watch the movies I want to watch. I don't need to blindy accept the quality of BD movies to justify the purchase of my PS3, as the PS3 isn't my only console OR HD movie player. I'll call it as I see it, and right now the BD movies (aside from a small handful) don't look as goos, simple as that.

Oni Jazar

Ignatz Mouse said:
Sony haterz in uproar! :lol

Upon reflection, this announcement probably won't have any impact on the larger war except slowing it-- but if other studios move because of it, it's bad news.

ABout Disney moving-- in case anybody missed it, they have a roadshow advertising BluRay and pumping up demand for it. I don't think they're going to switch before Universal goes Blu.

Assuming no other major megatons are announced I think this year we're still going to get Blu-Pac Man fever until next year. It won't be the 3-5x runaway success that Blu-ray was counting on though having almost all of the summer blockbusters now that Shrek and more importantly Transformers are off the table.

typhonsentra said:
Most of the movies I have look good to me, but perhaps I just have less discerning tastes. FF:SW looks great in my opinion.

FF: SW would be reference quality if not for the grain.

Kind of like 300, but I figure that's the nature of older films or director's choice.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Cold-Steel said:
LOL that DVD logo = HD-DVD.

I've seen people pick up HD-DVD only to find out it doesn't work on the DVD player and get just as upset as people who pick up Blu-ray movies only to find out they don't work on their HD-DVD players and vice versa.

What a stupid point.

Man, reading, it's fun. I never said it was a decisive blow or anything, I merely said it was a point to consider down the track. I also pointed out it could work AGAINST HD DVD.

But thats cool, coddle your PS3 rocking back and forth in the hopes of a Blu-ray victory. Because it obviously matters a great deal to you.

HyperionX

ManaByte said:
If HD-DVD were to add region coding and more severe DRM to satisfy Fox and Disney (and I am NOT SAYING THEY EVER WOULD) and Warner would put more strength behind HD-DVD; they'd move over. Just like Fox dropped DIVX for DVD in 1998.

It would also torpedo HD-DVD since such a thing would be an entirely new format (no spec for new DRM in existing players, nor is any such thing in development). Face it, Fox, Disney, and especially Sony are just permanently chained to Blu-ray.

Shpeshal Ed said:
Man, reading, it's fun. I never said it was a decisive blow or anything, I merely said it was a point to consider down the track. I also pointed out it could work AGAINST HD DVD.

But thats cool, coddle your PS3 rocking back and forth in the hopes of a Blu-ray victory. Because it obviously matters a great deal to you.

Yes, it does.

I can't wait for the thread title to change to Bluray/HD-DVD: Toshiba and Microsoft on their deathbed wishing for Universal to cure their terminal illness.

Roxas

Ok, im not going to go throigh 10000 posts so i apologise if this has already been asked...

What is going to happen to the Halo movie? It is being distributed by 20th Century Fox and as far as i'm aware, they are exclusive to Blu Ray. So could we be seeing the Halo movie on Blue Ray only? :lol

Roxas said:
Ok, im not going to go throigh 10000 posts so i apologise if this has already been asked...

What is going to happen to the Halo movie? It is being distributed by 20th Century Fox and as far as i'm aware, they are exclusive to Blu Ray. So could we be seeing the Halo movie on Blue Ray only? :lol

That movie is in limbo for a good long while. All the parties involved wanted too much money to come to any agreement with any studio.

Roxas said:

Ah, irony.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
As with Warner and Universal, Paramount has an excellent catalog of films, and like these other two, they're open to and actively making older pictures available on HD. The Godfather is seeing a restored DVD release late in the year, and this would be an excellent time to debut it in high-def. Coppola's other work at Paramount (Apocalypse Now and the Conversation) should be a lock for next year, and can I hope... Chinatown?

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
I really don't get why Paramount would flip like that?

If it's an issue of replication plants... how much more expensive is it to get someone else to manufacture for them instead of converting their DVD plants over to HD-DVD?

Surely, if they're taking that kinda stuff into account, they would've taken into account the effect this would have on a fledgling market; high chance of stagnation.

So in the end, how is it a win for them? If there are no money hats involved... is the delta between converting their own DVD plants and the disc cost from outsourcing really that great? Enough to forsake 2/3rds of the market and risk stagnating the whole lot?

If there are no money hats involved... then the only possible gain would be in terms of leverage from BDA; BD replication coupons/money hats.
What else could be better than cheaper per unit HD-DVDs? zero cost per unit BDs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom