• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voltron64

Cubsfan23 said:
Might as well submit this to Guiness as the largest crow thread in history.
wink.gif

Meier

Oni Jazar said:
Here's Bill Hunt (the shape-shifting horned demon in Sony's pocket) latest post:

The audio comparison is absolutely ludicrous given the fact that only a select few people can truly tell the difference between 128 kbps and 320 kbps, let alone between CD audio and DVD audio. With video, there is no way to miss the difference -- joe schmoe would pick an HD tv over a regular TV any day of the week, and most of them are fine just using the speakers on their TV.

This theory that consumers will turn away from hi-def formats because of competition (as the primary or sole reason) is just plain idiotic. :lol

OokieSpookie said:
*looks at thread title*
*Looks at sales figures*
*chalks this idiot up to inbreeding*

you realize sales charts are no longer a valid excuse since it was appearantly not enough for a major studio to stay neutral. youre bragging about a format outselling another one by a couple thousand copies of movies and judging by your tag its really not surprising

ManaByte said:
What the hell does this have to do with a console generation?

Because it would not be so heated or so hostile if MS and Sony were not involved.
If BR was championed by any other company with the features that it has and the size and the potential or if MS was not somehow considered to be a driving force behind HD even though they honestly do not have that much stake in it then the whole thing would play out much differently at least imo.
In the majority of posts today, and in a good chunk of the stuff on here it is not HD vs Bluray no matter what it says.
It still comes down to "anti sony" or "anti ms" which is just dumb.

In terms of this years mega blockbuster HD exclusives, it's now a wash. Both Blu-ray and HD-DVD have 2 of the 4 films that have grossed $300+ million each; them being Spider-man 3, Pirates of the Carribean: At World's End, Transformers, and Shrek 3.

No_Style

FOX responded well with titles. Now I await Disney and/or Pixar to confirm Finding Nemo and The Incredibles for this holiday season and we will have ourselves a grand time.

Seriously, what is taking so long for them to release those.

before blu-ray was winning in sales figures, people would often talk about the number of top 10 grossing movies on either format and their respective box office takes for 2006. for the sake of interest, i've gone and done that based on the year so far.

Yesterday

Number of top ten films from blu-ray studios: 9

Today
Number of top ten films from blu-ray studios: 7
Number of top ten films from hd-dvd studios: 5

Blu-Ray still has the advantage, but that advantage has been cut in half over night... and the top 20 paints an even closer picture.

Top 20

Blu-Ray 13 (16 yesterday)
HD-DVD 11

from here on, if any major exclusive studio should go multiplatform, then the platform that they didn't release exclusively on will be in the lead.

HocusPocus said:
I'm buying the HD-DVD add on for the 360 now. I should have waited before jumping into the Blu-Ray camp. Argh!
i don't understand this kind of statement.

you'll have the best of both worlds once you get an HD-DVD player. it's not like the Blu-Ray releases are going to stop... just paramount and dreamworks, but you'll be able to watch those on your new 360 drive.

womfalcs3

Banned
New blu-ray releases listed from FOX/MGM

TITLE, N.A. RELEASE, INTERNATIONAL RELEASE
MASTER & COMMANDER OCT. 2 OCT.
THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW OCT. 2 NOV.
FROM HELL OCT. 9 OCT.
THE FLY (1986) OCT. 9 Q1 08
EDWARD SCISSORHANDS OCT. 9 NOV.
28 DAYS LATER OCT. 9 North America Only
ROBOCOP (MGM) OCT. 9 DEC.
AMITYVILLE HORROR (1979) (MGM) OCT. 9 North America Only
BATTLE OF BRITAIN (MGM) NOV. 6 Q1 08
A BRIDGE TOO FAR (MGM) NOV. 6 Q1 08
I, ROBOT NOV. 13 Q1 08
DIE HARD NOV NOV.
DIE HARD 2 DIE HARDER NOV NOV.
DIE HARD WITH A VENGEANCE NOV NOV.
RED DAWN (MGM) NOV Q1 08
MR. AND MRS. SMITH DEC. 4 DEC.
INDEPENDENCE DAY DEC. 4 DEC.
CAST AWAY DEC. 4 North America Only
RONIN (MGM) DEC. 4 DEC

StanTheCaddy said:
you realize sales charts are no longer a valid excuse since it was appearantly not enough for a major studio to stay neutral. youre bragging about a format outselling another one by a couple thousand copies of movies and judging by your tag its really not surprising
I think you need to go back for a few pick up reading courses.
I didn't brag about anything, I responded to a post where someone said something about being on the losing end.
No more, no less.

Meier said:
The audio comparison is absolutely ludicrous given the fact that only a select few people can truly tell the difference between 128 kbps and 320 kbps, let alone between CD audio and DVD audio. With video, there is no way to miss the difference -- joe schmoe would pick an HD tv over a regular TV any day of the week, and most of them are fine just using the speakers on their TV.

This theory that consumers will turn away from hi-def formats because of competition (as the primary or sole reason) is just plain idiotic. :lol

Don't let DarkJediKnight hear you talking about audio like that!

thaivo

HomerSimpson-Man said:
In terms of this years mega blockbuster HD exclusives, it's now a wash. Both Blu-ray and HD-DVD have 2 of the 4 films that have grossed $300+ million each; them being Spider-man 3, Pirates of the Carribean: At World's End, Transformers, and Shrek 3.

You forgot the one move that I really want in my collection this year.... The Bourne Ultimatum. Having Transformers as exclusive is huge, but I enjoyed TBU more, as it simply is a better film.

Oni Jazar

Meier said:

There are a lot of people that think DVD is "good enough" just like CD or even MP3 is "good enough".

you dont need to be an audiophile to tell the difference between cd audio and dvd audio. one is usually multichannel (5.1) and one is not.

i still dont think that comparing dvd-a/sacd to hddvd/br is fair though. the market for high def music is nowhere near the market for hidef video

plagiarize said:
i don't understand this kind of statement.

you'll have the best of both worlds once you get an HD-DVD player. it's not like the Blu-Ray releases are going to stop... just paramount and dreamworks, but you'll be able to watch those on your new 360 drive.

It's not a negative statement to Blu-Ray, but I spent a lot more money getting a PS3 to have a Blu-Ray player than to just buy the add-on for the 360. To be honest, most of my discs on Blu-Ray such as 300 and Planet Earth would have been available on HD-DVD. I just kept buying the line that HD-DVD had no future. The constant negativity here about the format influenced my decisions.

Oni Jazar said:
There are a lot of people that think DVD is "good enough" just like CD or even MP3 is "good enough".
there sure is. i do think that's a smaller percentage of people though... mainly based on the totally irrelevant evidence that i think DD5.1 is 'good enough' but wouldn't settle for any less than disc based HD movies since i started buying them.

Bebpo

Banned
Is this going to have any effect on sales?

Assuming the HD-DVD fans who have been buying Paramount releases continue to buy the same amount of Paramount releases, the only increase you would have is from Blu-ray only owners buying an HD-DVD player just for the few Paramount releases they put out. I can't imagine that'd be more than a thousand people max considering the size of the userbase.

The only way I see this having an effects is for the fanboy fuel:

1. I can see HD-DVD fans buying more Paramount movies than they used to, just because they're "on their team" now and HD-DVD fans want to keep them exclusive.

2. I can see Blu-ray fans buying more movies from Blu-ray studios with the money they would have spent on Paramount Blu-rays to drive BD sales.

All in all, I can't see a major sales affect from either of those in the long terms. Now if Warner goes exclusive with all their tons of movies they put out, I'd expect big change in sales. But Paramount alone seems kind of pointless.

I do wonder though if this will scare the BD group to attempt moneyhatting Warner in order to get back at HD-DVD for this.

womfalcs3

Banned
StanTheCaddy said:
youre awfully optimistic today arent you

Blu-ray is outselling HD-DVD 3:1 outside the US, and 2:1 domestically.

Here are some of the HD exclusive to BD this year:

- Spider-Man 3 and Spider-Man Trilogy
- The Simpsons
- Fantastic Four 2
- Ratatouille
- Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

well warner favors HD-DVD as it is, so i highly doubt blu ray will be moneyhatting them. they may actually release batman begins and the matrix for blu ray though, so thats good news maybe

Bebpo said:
Is this going to have any effect on sales?

Assuming the HD-DVD fans who have been buying Paramount releases continue to buy the same amount of Paramount releases, the only increase you would have is from Blu-ray only owners buying an HD-DVD player just for the few Paramount releases they put out. I can't imagine that'd be more than a thousand people max considering the size of the userbase.

The only way I see this having an effects is for the fanboy fuel:

1. I can see HD-DVD fans buying more Paramount movies than they used to, just because they're "on their team" now and HD-DVD fans want to keep them exclusive.

2. I can see Blu-ray fans buying more movies from Blu-ray studios with the money they would have spent on Paramount Blu-rays to drive BD sales.

All in all, I can't see a major sales affect from either of those in the long terms. Now if Warner goes exclusive with all their tons of movies they put out, I'd expect big change in sales. But Paramount alone seems kind of pointless.

I do wonder though if this will scare the BD group to attempt moneyhatting Warner in order to get back at HD-DVD for this.
warner are the least likely to move from being neutral either way. not only do they put out press releases about how great being neutral is, but they're developing their own neutral format.

Badabing

Time ta STEP IT UP
This is a big blow. PLUS, it's still up in the air to see how the PS3 1.1 can handle the newly revised blu-ray codec that will be shipping as the standard not too long from now.

OBVIOUSLY, There must be something deeper than just sales figures that caused this huge upset, since Blu-Ray had the upper hand in terms of virtual size, sales and resolution. I'm thinking it has something to do with how the PS3 and its subsequent Blue Ray platform has been perceived, that's for sure.

Bebpo

Banned
plagiarize said:
warner are the least likely to move from being neutral either way. not only do they put out press releases about how great being neutral is, but they're developing their own neutral format.

Well if BD group wants to moneyhat SOMEONE in reaction to this, who is left outside of Warner?

Badabing said:
This is a big blow. PLUS, it's still up in the air to see how the PS3 1.1 can handle the newly revised blu-ray codec that will be shipping as the standard not too long from now.

There must be something deeper than just sales figures that caused this huge upset. I'm thinking it has something to do with how the PS3 and its subsequent Blue Ray platform has been perceived, that's for sure.

I thought we established it was money being put on a check to them. It obviously wasn't sales figures because their BD discs outsell their HD-DVD ones...

womfalcs3 said:
Blu-ray is outselling HD-DVD 3:1 outside the US, and 2:1 domestically.

Here are some of the HD exclusive to BD this year:

- Spider-Man 3 and Spider-Man Trilogy
- The Simpsons
- Fantastic Four 2
- Ratatouille
- Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

with the exception of disney id imagine all of those will be available on hddvd too. thats the beauty of not having region encoding. i dont care i own both formats, but you act as if hddvd will be gone by years end, which appearantly you may think is the case, but not paramount/dreamworks. (they probably have a little more weight than you)

I expect the Blu-ray Association is probably getting their act together and inking all the big exclusives right now.

I can also imagine they are going to check on all the studios to make sure everyone's content.

Everyone except....PARAMOUNT AND DREAMWORKSSSSSS!!!!!!! (EXCEPT SPIELBERG!!!!)

GuessWho

HomerSimpson-Man said:
yeah and only one of them is actually watchable, that being transformers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom