• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
this is all such unbelievable bullshit. i shouldn't have to know what movie is from what studio -- i certainly didn't know before this format war. few sane consumers are going to buy into either format unless by some miracle this gets sorted out.

and no, hd video discs are not a 'niche' business -- if they were, paramount and dreamworks wouldn't have received huge payoffs for exclusivity. hd video discs are a big business in its infancy. it can either thrive or die. and today it's taken a step towards death.

drohne said:
this is all such unbelievable bullshit. i shouldn't have to know what movie is from what studio. few sane consumers are going to buy into either format unless by some miracle this gets sorted out.

Exactly why Blu-ray needs to win and put the nail in HD-DVD's coffin already.

There are so many bystanders in this whole mess it's not even funny.

I know several people who KNOW HDM is better but they aren't committing until a solid winner comes out.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Cold-Steel said:
Touche, salesman.

I personallydont see the reason for bickering.

We're all the ones having arguments (early adopters), and the hilarious part is, it's us that has the LEAST to worry about.

Most of us own a PS3 AND a 360. We can still watch all the movies we want in high-def, so it doesn't make a shit of difference.

If Blu-ray wins, I can still watch my HD DVD movies, and vice versa. So for those with both (which I'm assuming would be a LOT of us), there's really no issue.

DVD will still be eclipsing them for a long time to come.

I personally think the HD DVD camp hasn't pushed the combo discs enough. That was an ace up their sleeve they never utilised.

Cold-Steel said:
Exactly why Blu-ray needs to win and put the nail in HD-DVD's coffin already.

There are so many bystanders in this whole mess it's not even funny.

I know several people who KNOW HDM is better but they aren't committing until a solid winner comes out.

*roll eyes*

This is getting old.

SRG01

Crayon Shinchan said:
I really don't get why Paramount would flip like that?

If it's an issue of replication plants... how much more expensive is it to get someone else to manufacture for them instead of converting their DVD plants over to HD-DVD?

Surely, if they're taking that kinda stuff into account, they would've taken into account the effect this would have on a fledgling market; high chance of stagnation.

So in the end, how is it a win for them? If there are no money hats involved... is the delta between converting their own DVD plants and the disc cost from outsourcing really that great? Enough to forsake 2/3rds of the market and risk stagnating the whole lot?

If there are no money hats involved... then the only possible gain would be in terms of leverage from BDA; BD replication coupons/money hats.
What else could be better than cheaper per unit HD-DVDs? zero cost per unit BDs.

Crayon, it was also a $150 million dollar deal, according to the other thread.

Cold-Steel said:
Yes, it does.

I can't wait for the thread title to change to Bluray/HD-DVD: Toshiba and Microsoft on their deathbed wishing for Universal to cure their terminal illness.

How does HD-DVD affect Microsoft? All their money is made off Windows, Office and Server software. The 360 is also not chained to HD-DVD. How is MS even involved, other than refusing to accomodate a Blu-ray addon.

Roxas

HomerSimpson-Man said:
That movie is in limbo for a good long while. All the parties involved wanted too much money to come to any agreement with any studio.

I thought they've started filming?

On the contrary, I'm unwilling to buy the inferior 360 HD-DVD add-on (sound reasons) and I'd rather not buy a standalone HD-DVD player since I'd rather have all my movies play on one device (kind of like DVD?).

So yes, I'm bitter. A bitter consumer whore who wants Blu-ray to win.

rubso

Banned
Roxas said:
What is going to happen to the God of War Movie? It is being distributed by Universal Studios and as far as i'm aware, they are exclusive to HD-DVD. So could we be seeing the God of War movie on HD-DVD only? :lol
godofbuscuits.jpg

:lol :lol :lol

more on HALO movie
On October 19, 2006, both Universal Studios and 20th Century Fox, who had agreed to co-finance the screen adaptation of the popular Microsoft game, abruptly backed out of the picture, leaving rumors floating that the budget may be rising above the projected $135 million.[12] Microsoft attempted to secure financing from other studios, including Warner Bros. and Paramount, to keep the project moving,[13] but production was officially halted and postponed on October 31, 2006 until additional backing could be found.

On May 21, 2007 Peter Jackson, in an interview with Cinematical.com, said that he expects that the project will get back on its feet once studios "catch a glimpse of the Halo hype first-hand" (with the release of Halo 3).

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
oh, and the people who think that this will spur the release of big movies from name directors who have some control over their releases are wrong too. userbase would spur those releases -- a clear victor and broad adoption. i bet close encounters is the last spielberg high def release for a long, long time.

SRG01

GenericPseudonym said:
How does HD-DVD affect Microsoft? All their money is made off Windows, Office and Server software. The 360 is also not chained to HD-DVD. How is MS even involved, other than refusing to accomodate a Blu-ray addon.

HDi and VC1.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Home Theater Forum (10,000,000,000 times better than the viral marketer invested AVS) has banned the format war:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/showthread.php?t=260573

Home Theater Forum is a place for people looking to recreate the "movie experience" in the home. At the moment, though, that goal is complicated by the fact that there are competing formats for the "next generation" of home theater technology: Blu-ray and HD-DVD.

From what we can tell, the HTF membership is evenly split between the two formats, and some members have even embraced both. But whatever their preference, it's clear that the vast majority of our members don't enjoy "war-talk". No one wants to read predictions (or wishes) that the format in which they've invested should disappear or is inferior, especially when those opinions are posted over and over again by the same few posters.

HTF is format-neutral, as explained by co-owner Ron Epstein on numerous occasions. As of now, we are establishing a zero tolerance policy banning HD format "war-talk", except for a few designated threads.

What is "war-talk"? Well, it includes, but is not limited to:

* general comparisons of the two formats (other than in direct relation to a specific HD release);
* sales numbers;
* expressing the opinion/expectation that one or more formats will disappear from the market soon;
* comparing or discussing alleged "support" by commercial parties or spreading "news" about such support or change of support or news about "future" extensions; and
* linking to other threads or other sites discussing these "war-talk" topics.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
SRG01 said:

Well thats the main theory going around right now. No hard confirmations.

Only hard denials from Amirm, but that guy is a FUD spreading HD-DVD shill anyway.

I'm responding to the possibility that Paramount acted on their own accord (which is fraught with illogicality).

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Cold-Steel said:
On the contrary, I'm unwilling to buy the inferior 360 HD-DVD add-on (sound reasons) and I'd rather not buy a standalone HD-DVD player since I'd rather have all my movies play on one device (kind of like DVD?).

So yes, I'm bitter. A bitter consumer whore who wants Blu-ray to win.

I agree, the 360 add-on is pretty poor. But for such a cheap price, did you expect the best player on the market?

Aside from some noise, I haven't heard of too many issues with them.

Unless a clear winner comes to the fore by the end of 08, I'll just buy the Samsung Combo player when it drops in price. The war ends that day for me :lol

SRG01 said:

I will also go on a limb and say that there is also most likely a huge advertising and push blitz for the marquee titles that will be finance by the HD group.
They will definitely shove Transformers as hard as they can into the spotlight matched with themes and whatnot on the 360 and alot of commercials and other things sponsored by Transformers on Hd-dvd and whatnot.

Hopefully Sony will be nice and pissed off considering you could still get transformers trailers and stardust trailers and whatnot on the PSN, and it will motivate them to be more agressive.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
i doubt amir would lie... perhaps ms is encoding their discs for them... paying to promote them, etc.. not an outright moneyhat but a concession of sorts

also i bet paramount brd releases will go way up in value soon

Ignatz Mouse said:
If only the gaming side would adopt this stance. :(

Well, then you'd just see more of the games vs non-games arguements. :D

StoOgE said:
i doubt amir would lie... perhaps ms is encoding their discs for them... paying to promote them, etc.. not an outright moneyhat but a concession of sorts

Exactly.

jey_16

Banned
i am conflicted at the moment, i only recently started buying Blue-Ray movies and was looking forward to Transformers in Hi-Def but on the other hand, i'm so fucking pissed of that Blue-Ray titles are not region free compared to HD-DVD

i think i'll pick up a HD-DVD add on when i get 360 for Halo 3

HyperionX

jey_16 said:
i am conflicted at the moment, i only recently started buying Blue-Ray movies and was looking forward to Transformers in Hi-Def but on the other hand, i'm so fucking pissed of that Blue-Ray titles are not region free compared to HD-DVD

i think i'll pick up a HD-DVD add on when i get 360 for Halo 3

This post makes no sense: 360 games are region encoded, PS3 games are not. Why are you so pissed at Blu-ray and not MS as well?

jey_16

Banned
This post makes no sense: 360 games are region encoded, PS3 games are not. Why are you so pissed at Blu-ray and not MS as well?

because i dont buy many games overseas, i buy movies from all around the world

i mean, seriously...i cant even play Blue-Ray movies bought here in Australia just because my PS3 is from Singapore

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Crayon Shinchan said:
As are a lot of BD movies. Ironically Paramount was one of the guys that released region free, so it's another blow to have them go like this.

You're right, one that I bougfht recently is reion free, but I can't remember it. I THINK my copy of either Ghost Rider or Rocky Balboa is region free.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Posted in the other locked thread since its become bloated buuut...

I'm officially staying away from High Def movies because of this move. Upconverted DVDs for me.

Great way to take the whole format down

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
BlueTsunami said:

I'm officially staying away from High Def movies because of this move. Upconverted DVDs for me.

I'll keep buying my BDs. I stayed away from DVDs for so long because I knew there was going to be a superior format just around the corner.

Hah. Jokes on me I guess.

Pachael

This whole mess validates my decision to wait and see. I shall continue waiting and seeing, just like till there was a clear consolidation (DVD+-R for instance).

Kolgar

Dual format, boyz. If you love movies and you love HD, there's no other way.

If ya can't swing both, then love the one ya got. It's entertainment, not the end of the world.

Kolgar said:

If ya can't swing both, then love the one ya got. It's entertainment, not the end of the world.

If I have to, I will. But I hate the idea.

golem

i dont know why everyone was always so quick to support blu-ray in the first place.. sure it has better technical specs but every disc with interesting exclusive hd features and interactivity on it has been hd-dvd pretty much. they're actually delivering on the promise (sort of)

Kolgar said:

Damn you and your hypnotic avatar!

wiigirl.gif

Snah

Banned
I don't see this deal as making a big difference.

Warner Brothers has some huge titles that are pretty much HD-DVD exclusive RIGHT NOW, and that's not affecting the sales momentum of Blu-Ray over HD-DVD.

That being said, I am a bit mad at this announcement, as it makes absolutely no sense unless money hats were involved.

Overall, the only real 'loss here' for me personally is Paramount. Transformers was garbage, and while I'd like to have Shrek in HD, it's not a huge deal. If they want to go exclusive to one format over reasons unknown, then I'm not going to support them and give them my money.

I have enough titles to buy in 2007 with the Spiderman Trilogy, Pirates 3, Ratatouille, and Die Hard Trilogy that I don't really care.

It'll be funny when Blu-Ray expands its lead to 3:1 soon, while the Paramount announcement does nothing to significantly boost HD-DVD sales and merely acts as a means to rile up HD-DVD fanboys on the internet more than anything else. Most of the movies I want from Paramount include the Indiana Jones series, which is going to be format neutral.

In the end, I'm still supporting the best format with the most studio support, and this doesn't compel me to run out and grab HD-DVD. I won't be supporting an inferior format simply because one company chose moneyhats.

Kolgar said:

Not a chance of supporting both formats. I'd rather wait.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
krypt0nian said:

Same thing, I'm really pissed by today's announcement, I will not support any format, I'll just wait. I can live without movies.

Doctor_No

Shpeshal Ed said:
Honestly, I'm not debating the stupidity of this format war.

I'm still not clear on who started it. I've heard rumors from both sides. Does anyone on here know how it got started?

I would have assumed HD DVD would have been a natural progression. But I heard everyone was ready to agree on one, then either Toshiba or Sony (I've heard both at various stages) got greedy and broke off.

Anyone know the ACTUAL story?

There are faults of this format war from both sides. The DVD 6C consortium have been greedy from the very beginning, and the Blu-ray group have refused to make concessions. Basically comes down to which Japanese electronic giant you want to pay licensing fees to. Toshiba (after the COCOM incident) being the most anti-American company you can imagine.

Regardless, its all irrelevant, 6:3 is an asinine comparison. The real ratios compared to overall media sold is ignorable. Which leads to this sort of money-hat agreemens. Clearly, HD media isn't a priority at this stage for Paramount/Dream works. At this rate, both formats will fail.

Vyer

Crayon Shinchan said:
I'll keep buying my BDs. I stayed away from DVDs for so long because I knew there was going to be a superior format just around the corner.

Hah. Jokes on me I guess.

Wait what?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Kolgar said:

True that

I actually bought 300 on BD and digged the picture quality. Thats the only HD movie I'll be touching for a while (till one format really comes out on top). Put me in the camp that'll still buy DVDs and rent my HD movies.

Kolgar

Snah said:
In the end, I'm still supporting the best format with the most studio support, and this doesn't compel me to run out and grab HD-DVD. I won't be supporting an inferior format simply because one company chose moneyhats.

Up to you.

But as a dual-format owner, I can tell you right now that the only difference I can perceive between HD and BD movies is when the lights are on and I'm looking at the machine that's playing them.

Which is to say, not often.

Except for the movie 300, where HD DVD's PiP feature was utilized to awesome effect. In which case, I'm confused as to which "inferior format" you're referring to.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Wow @ the paramount announcement. No hope for a quick resolution of the format war, it seems. Ugh.

drohne said:
this is all such unbelievable bullshit. i shouldn't have to know what movie is from what studio -- i certainly didn't know before this format war. few sane consumers are going to buy into either format unless by some miracle this gets sorted out.

and no, hd video discs are not a 'niche' business -- if they were, paramount and dreamworks wouldn't have received huge payoffs for exclusivity. hd video discs are a big business in its infancy. it can either thrive or die. and today it's taken a step towards death.

krypt0nian said:

JeFfRey said:
Same thing, I'm really pissed by today's announcement, I will not support any format, I'll just wait. I can live without movies.

Which, IMO, is exactly what Microsoft wants.

Unless this thing ends pretty dramatically by early next year, both formats seem likely to die with the studios just moving onto downloads as the preferred method, likely through a secure set top box with a cable operators as the middle man as they've already got such high penetration and they can tag it along with the monthly service fee as opposed to buying a box.

gkryhewy

BlueTsunami said:

That was so important and unique a stance that you had to post it twice? BTW, upconverted DVDs are a scam unless your TV has a shit scaler. What you really mean is 480p FTW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom