• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bebpo

Banned
thaivo said:
http://hddvd-blog.com/

Kind of surprising. Are HD DVD supporters suddenly feeling generous towards Paramount? I know I just ordered 10 copies... :lol

As we learned from HD-DVD day, Fanboys of either format are large enough to make Amazon charts go crazy when they want.

It's sad that so many people feel compelled to buy things and support companies soley on fanboy notions and don't just buy good films that they want to own. Being someone who prefers the X360 over PS3 and Blu-ray over HD-DVD, watching the crazed group mentality of rabid X360+HD-DVD groups of fans vs. the same mentality of rabid PS3+Blu-ray groups of fans clash is just depressing for humanity as a whole.

HyperionX

plagiarize said:
that bitrate hasn't been proven to be any observable difference. when you watch your 300 blu-ray would you honestly fault the picture and sound quality compared to the pirates movies? the 30 gigabyte HD-DVD had equally good picture quality and sound quality and *more* extras.

It's because 300 is not the greatest transfer ever, and the extras had more to do with political reasons than rational or technical ones.

i just don't see how 30 gigabytes is a constraint on anything other than four hour plus long epics. extras can be thrown on a second disc (as they were on pirates) and it's a selling point, not a a negative.

Unless you want a really high quality transfer that can burn up an entire BD50 and still need a second disk since you've got nothing left for extras (that's POTC).

bill0527

Bebpo said:
This is 100% true.

But on the other hand, sometimes it's best to think beyond just how you stand today. If Paramount didn't take the money, maybe one format would've one and maybe sales would have increased dramatically with only one format on the market and the effects from that they made have made more in sales difference over the next couple of years then that 150 million.

I'm sure their financial gurus cooked up all kinds of models to look at and the same results showed up in every scenario... take the money and run.

It sucks, sucks, sucks, sucks, sucks, for consumers. More so for the consumers who want to jump to hi-def DVD, but don't want to hedge their bets and pick the wrong format. The playing field is still stacked in Blu-Ray's favor, but HD-DVD is trying their damndest to level the playing field. And a level playing field is bad for everyone involved except HD-DVD owners in the short-term. Its bad for Blu-Ray owners for obvious reasons and also bad for the aforementioned consumers who are sitting on the fence, because the format war just got dragged out for probably 2-3 more years.

I'm still pissed I won't be getting Transformers on Blu-Ray this Christmas, but I'm not ready to sell my PS3, or get rid of the 6 Blu-Ray movies I own. What I find funny is that studios for the last 2 years have been bitching about terrible profit margins on DVDs. Well, I guess the Transformers DVD is what I'll be getting for Christmas, so Paramount won't make near as much profit off of me as they would have otherwise. But.. when somebody waves that kind of money in your face, money that you can have right now guaranteed, I think any company out there would take it.

djkimothy

MechDX said:
Warner going HD DVD exclusive next week confirmed. lol:lol

LOL, I'll be able to hear the collective screams of Blu-ray supporters when I'm at Disney world. :lol

It's because 300 is not the greatest transfer ever, and the extras had more to do with political reasons than rational or technical ones.

It was one of the greatest transfers. It's just that the artistic direction didn't show well in HD.

bc226

In regards to the format war why could Sony not agree with Toshiba this time over HD-DVd like they did with DVD?

Why did Sony want to own a format so bad that they are willing to let there Console gaming die?

From wht i understand has little has 2 years ago both the HD-dvd camp and the Blu-Ray camp were very intrested in 1 format but neither Toshiba or Sony could come to an agreement like they did before with dvd.

Was Sony asking for a bigger slice of pie like they did with Nintendo?

Why is it Sony always tries to have a winning format and they start these wars?

Mrbob

Misleading thread title change.

This battle is not back on at all.

Paramount will be blu in 08. Bank it.

PS3 is fuxxed lawl

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
yes and potc doesnt look any better than tier 0 hddvd movies..unless you get off on watching the bitstream display

Bebpo

Banned
StoOgE said:
i wish the brd camp would stop pretending that they are worried about the future of hdtv media and just admit they are mad cuz they thought their format of choice was about to win, and now they have to wait another year to 'win'.

im not going to pretend hddvd getting new legs doesnt make me happy for purely selfish reasons

edit.. told you i read brd moneyhatted bb

The hardcores might be, but there are A LOT of people in this thread who support Blu-ray who would GLADLY wish death on Blu-ray if HD-DVD looked poised to win. Two formats is fucked up and personally I see a 50/50 split for the next 10 years after HD-DVD drops to dirt cheap and sells a fuckton and PS3 drops to pretty cheap and sells a fuckton.

bill0527

bc226 said:
Why did Sony want to own a format so bad that they are willing to let there Console gaming die?

The patents that Sony co-held with Phillips on the Compact Disc were expiring and they were set to lose a huge amount of licensing revenue from the CD. Sony has long been trying to establish another dominant form of media for the last 10 years as they knew those patents wouldn't last forever.. see: Mini-Disc, UMD, Blu-Ray.

Petrarca

Banned
Doctor_No said:
Shit, I miss Jakarta. The food especially. .. .

The food is great, but the weather is horrible. The air is dirty and the traffic jam is murderous. Motorcycles are everywhere, I can't imagine driving on the streets of Jakarta.

The ladies are fine. damn! there are many good looking chicks here, both the Chineses and the locals

Bebpo

Banned
bc226 said:
In regards to the format war why could Sony not agree with Toshiba this time over HD-DVd like they did with DVD?

From wht i understand has little has 2 years ago both the HD-dvd camp and the Blu-Ray camp were very intrested in 1 format but neither Toshiba or Sony could come to an agreement like they did before with dvd.

Was Sony asking for a bigger slice of pie like they did with Nintendo?

Why is it Sony always tries to have a winning format and they start these wars?

Oh god, not again...@_@

bill0527

Bebpo said:
The hardcores might be, but there are A LOT of people in this thread who support Blu-ray who would GLADLY wish death on Blu-ray if HD-DVD looked poised to win. Two formats is fucked up and personally I see a 50/50 split for the next 10 years after HD-DVD drops to dirt cheap and sells a fuckton and PS3 drops to pretty cheap and sells a fuckton.

I kind of agree with that and I'm a Blu-Ray supporter.

Like I said, Blu-Ray owners and j6p sitting on the fence are the big losers here because the format war has now been dragged out even further.

womfalcs3 said:
New blu-ray releases listed from FOX/MGM

TITLE, N.A. RELEASE, INTERNATIONAL RELEASE
MASTER & COMMANDER OCT. 2 OCT.
THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW OCT. 2 NOV.
FROM HELL OCT. 9 OCT.
THE FLY (1986) OCT. 9 Q1 08
EDWARD SCISSORHANDS OCT. 9 NOV.
28 DAYS LATER OCT. 9 North America Only
ROBOCOP (MGM) OCT. 9 DEC.
AMITYVILLE HORROR (1979) (MGM) OCT. 9 North America Only
BATTLE OF BRITAIN (MGM) NOV. 6 Q1 08
A BRIDGE TOO FAR (MGM) NOV. 6 Q1 08
I, ROBOT NOV. 13 Q1 08
DIE HARD NOV NOV.
DIE HARD 2 DIE HARDER NOV NOV.
DIE HARD WITH A VENGEANCE NOV NOV.
RED DAWN (MGM) NOV Q1 08
MR. AND MRS. SMITH DEC. 4 DEC.
INDEPENDENCE DAY DEC. 4 DEC.
CAST AWAY DEC. 4 North America Only
RONIN (MGM) DEC. 4 DEC

I thought they announced 29 new titles... some are missing here.

Snah

Banned
plagiarize said:
that bitrate hasn't been proven to be any observable difference. when you watch your 300 blu-ray would you honestly fault the picture and sound quality compared to the pirates movies? the 30 gigabyte HD-DVD had equally good picture quality and sound quality and *more* extras.

i just don't see how 30 gigabytes is a constraint on anything other than four hour plus long epics. extras can be thrown on a second disc (as they were on pirates) and it's a selling point, not a a negative.
Some would argue that point.

Honestly, Pirates/Apocalypto look significantly better than any HD-DVD release I've seen, and both of these titles push the 50 GB format and push HIGH bitrates with AVC encodings. Yes, it looks far better than 300.

Comparing format neutral releases is a worthless and trivial endeavor, since studios simply use the same transfer.

I wish FOX/MGM would release their backlog of Bond titles on Blu-Ray...that would be freaking huge.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Alcibiades said:
About a year ago, when HD DVD had a clear lead over Blu-ray (before the PS3), many were saying it was HD DVD's battle to lose and that Blu-ray should give up, despite the fact that HD sales were .01% of DVD sales.

Now that Blu-ray has 60% of the marketshare of HD media, people are saying HD DVD should give up and that a Blu-ray win is imminent, despite the fact that the HD marketshare is less than 1% of DVD.

It's silly to think that the current lead by Blu-ray mattered much in the long scheme to things to big corporations who have a long-term view of this. Even if the marketshare of HD media hit's 5% this year (it won't) and HD DVD only captures 40% of that, one has to be crazy to call the war all but over.

The Paramount decision was a HUGE surprise to many people (I wasn't expecting anything like that), but to say they shouldn't do it because Blu-ray has a 60% share in a 1% market is ridiculous.

With this announcement though, expect Warner to solidify their neutral stance even more, and make a big deal when all top 10 sellers on high-definition come from their studio.

/thread

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Bebpo said:

I'd wager that most of these people in this thread have a Blu-Ray player by way of their PS3. So I can't really agree with that assessment about if HD-DVD were to win.

Petrarca

Banned
So I just found out what happened.

A message from Jakarta: FUCKING STUPID PARAMOUNT!!!

Anyway, peace out guys, connection is shit, gotta go. See you back in 2 weeks, can't believe I was only gone for 10 days and all hell broke lose

Doctor_No

Petrarca said:
The food is great, but the weather is horrible. The air is dirty and the traffic jam is murderous. Motorcycles are everywhere, I can't imagine driving on the streets of Jakarta.

The ladies are fine. damn! there are many good looking chicks here, both the Chineses and the locals

The weather is horrible throughout the most of Asia (at least during this time of year). And, yes, the ladies are fine. However, compared to the US, I can't imagine driving in any city relatively (Beijing, Mumbai, Shanghai, Jakarta, or anywhere in Japan).

bc226

I dont get how anyone can say this sucks for consumers this will continue to push prices down
and that what consumers want the first to get out sub 200$ players will more then likely win this war for all the HD this and HD that most consumers dont care for, DVD is fine.

And that were all the early adopters forget its gonna be the cheap buyers that decide the folks that maybe spent 30$ for a dvd player or 50 for a vhs player all of you HD nuts who have tons of money great but guess what at the end of the day its the walmart buyers that will decide not you.

djkimothy

Agent Icebeezy said:
I'd wager that most of these people in this thread have a Blu-Ray player by way of their PS3. So I can't really agree with that assessment about if HD-DVD were to win.

I would agree with him. If HDDVD had support of all studios but Sony. I'd still gladly march to Futureshop and buy an HDDVD player. Again. It's all about the content. It just so happens that the PS3 plays blu-rays so I'm a BD supporter by default.

bill0527

shagg_187 said:

They also said that many of their movies this year such as FF: Rise of the Silver Surfer, and the new Die Hard movie would be released day-and-date with the DVD release. I got the impression from the lengthy press release that they were going to try real hard to get all of their theatrical releases from this point forward to release day-and-date with DVD. None of those movies were included in the list.

mackaveli

shagg_187 said:

those are the catalog titles (none of the new ones are listed except for the first paragraph) there are more titles, but fox hasn't announced it. Simpsons is an obvious title missing probably because it just came out and will announce it in the future.

The New York Times said:
LOS ANGELES, Aug. 20 — Hollywood’s squabble over which of two technologies will replace standard DVDs reignited Monday with two studios throwing their weight behind one format and several rivals ramping up support for the other.

Paramount, part of Viacom, and the publicly held DreamWorks Animation said they would exclusively back the HD DVD format for the release of high-definition movies on disc. Among the movies the studios plan to release in the format are “Transformers” and “Shrek the Third.”

Until now, Paramount has released titles in both HD DVD and a competing format, Blu-ray. DreamWorks Animation has not released a movie in either.

The battle over the competing high-definition DVD technologies has sputtered in recent months as Blu-ray discs have emerged as the front-runner. Blu-ray titles are sharply outselling HD offerings, major retailers like Target are stocking only Blu-ray players, and Blockbuster recently said it would carry Blu-ray exclusively.

Last week, the Walt Disney Company said it would release one of its best-known animated movies, “Sleeping Beauty,” on Blu-ray. “There is no longer any doubt that Blu-ray is the clear successor to standard DVDs,” said Bob Chapek, president of Disney’s home entertainment unit.

But money talks: Paramount and DreamWorks Animation together will receive about $150 million in financial incentives for their commitment to HD DVD, according to two Viacom executives with knowledge of the deal but who asked not to be identified.

The incentives will come in a combination of cash and promotional guarantees. Toshiba, for instance, will use the release of “Shrek the Third” as part of an HD DVD marketing campaign.

Paramount and DreamWorks Animation declined to comment. Microsoft, the most prominent technology company supporting HD DVDs, said it could not rule out payment but said it wrote no checks. “We provided no financial incentives to Paramount or DreamWorks whatsoever,” said Amir Majidimehr, the head of Microsoft’s consumer media technology group.

The surprise move by Paramount and DreamWorks Animation prompted an immediate response from the electronics companies betting on Blu-ray.

“This seems like a move of desperation,” said Andy Parsons, a member of the Blu-ray Disc Association, which represents companies like Panasonic, Samsung and Sony.

Studios that have lined up behind Blu-ray, including Disney and 20th Century Fox, said the move would heighten consumer confusion at a point when Blu-ray appeared to be emerging as the best choice. “This is not in the best interest of consumers,” said Mr. Chapek of Disney.

A Disney spokesman said the company might expand a new campaign to sell consumers on Blu-ray, and Fox announced plans to flood the market with 29 new Blu-ray releases.

Paramount and DreamWorks Animation described their decision to back HD DVD as part of an “extensive evaluation of current market offerings.” The key factor was HD’s lower cost to consumers, said Rob Moore, Paramount’s president of worldwide marketing and distribution.

“What is most important to consumers is how much they are paying, and HD DVD is simply less expensive,” he said. “Focusing on one format will also allow us to provide better content because we’re not splitting our attention.”

The two studios may have left themselves wiggle room, however. Paramount’s agreement to use only HD DVD is limited to only 18 months. And Paramount noted that no films directed by Steven Spielberg were included in the deal “as his films are not exclusive to either format.” Mr. Spielberg is a co-founder of DreamWorks SKG, a unit of Paramount.

The rivalry between Blu-ray and HD DVD harks back to that 30 years ago between the VHS and Betamax formats for home video recording. Which high-definition technology is better has been the subject of intense debate in Hollywood for years. HD DVD players are about $200 cheaper than Blu-ray machines, but Blu-ray discs have more storage space and more advanced protections against piracy. Both versions deliver sharp resolution.

Sales of DVDs over all are expected to be especially strong this holiday season, and both sides are hoping that the battle of the high-definition formats will not cause consumers to tune out entirely, perhaps deciding that standard DVDs are good enough.

To help clear up confusion, the studios are starting marketing campaigns in partnership with the various electronics companies. The most prominent is Disney, which last week introduced something it calls the Magical Blu-ray Tour. The 40-foot exhibit, built to look like the Sleeping Beauty Castle at Disneyland, will be set up in malls in 18 cities. It features Panasonic high-definition televisions showing various Disney movies.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/21/technology/21disney.html?_r=1&ref=business&oref=slogin

lupin23rd

shagg_187 said:

The other 10 are day-and-date titles, all we know so far are Live Free and Die Hard, and Fantastic 4: Rise of the Silver Surfer. Any ideas as to what the other ones are? The Simpsons, 28 Weeks Later, Sunshine are 3 possibilities, not sure what the other 5 could be.

And I think we don't even have DVD dates for any of those but could be wrong.

Shpeshal Ed said:
Interesting you say that.

My brother works at JB Hifi (a major Australian retailer), and has spoken with reps from companies invloved in the format war and pretty much ALL of them (including a Pioneer rep) say we WILL have 2 formats.

They say combo players will become the norm and it wont matter then.

When you think about it, if ALL companies involved make combo players, the whole war means jack shit, and it will simply come down to buying the movie you want to buy. The difference? One movie will have a blue cover, the other a red one.

I'm sorry, I just don't trust that combo players will be the standard at all.

HyperionX

chinaismine said:

That seems to confirm that this is all Microsoft's doing. They have no interest in this war (their codecs are available on Blu-ray too). This appears to be a fairly classic underhanded tactic from MS, where if you can't improve your own standing you hurt the other side, even if you lose even more in that scenario.

I'm surprised why there isn't more angst against MS for pretty much extending the war singlehandedly.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
djkimothy said:
I would agree with him. If HDDVD had support of all studios but Sony. I'd still gladly march to Futureshop and buy an HDDVD player. Again. It's all about the content. It just so happens that the PS3 plays blu-rays so I'm a BD supporter by default.

Ditto. Gamer first, movie watcher second. I really like HD movies.

But not enough to spend $300+ on a stand alone player. I refuse to buy the HDDVD addon, because I just don't trust the X360 to stay alive, plus it lacks HDMI, so IMO lacks a point.

Maybe in 2009 with a combo player.

Petrarca said:
Yo guys!!! what the fuck happened? why was the title changed?

I've been on vacation for the last 10 days, and still have another 2 weeks. I'm in Jakarta, the connection is shit! 32K modem. Your avatars are fucking killing me. I can't go thru the pages, so again.....So what the fuck happened?!?!?!?

This is the funniest post of the thread. :lol

YYZ

wow this is bad news for Blu-Ray only people such as myself (by way of PS3). I'm not a hi-def whore, but I'm not going to buy DVDs anymore now that I've experienced hi-def. I'm also not going to buy a HD-DVD player so woe is me.

I just wiki'd Paramount and Dreamworks for the list of films. Dreamworks has a lot of stuff I want, but Paramount has a few as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Paramount_Pictures_films

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DreamWorks

Good thing Spielberg's stuff is not part of the deal at least...

Azrael

mashoutposse said:
Paramount/Dreamworks did the right thing for them. There was no way that the lost BR sales will come close to the $150 million cash payment plus other considerations, so they took the money and ran. The market will still decide a winner and they can still hop on that train when this deal expires. I think it's a no-brainer.

The market can't decide a winner when one side is trying to turn a profit and the other is prepared to write off hundreds of millions/billions of dollars of losses with the profits they make in other industries just to sabotage the first group.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
We're doomed to flipper discs. Count on it.

The whole battle and money changing hands for support, etc is stupid, but hey, it makes for interesting threads and I've got no regrets with my 360 HD-DVD drive. Minimal investment, and shit I want to watch now.

HyperionX

Azrael said:
The market can't decide a winner when one side is trying to turn a profit and the other is prepared to write off hundreds of millions/billions of dollars of losses with the profits they make in other industries just to sabotage the first group.

Ditto.

Ignatz Mouse said:
I'm sorry, I just don't trust that combo players will be the standard at all.
we'll have to see how fast they can get the price down on them.

it'll depend on what consumers think of them.

if things get desperate then you might yet see a truce of sorts. that's another way the format could end. the two groups making a truce and demanding that all new players become combo players. a long shot but if sales of both were starting to slide (yeah, yeah, 2:1 and all that, but sales of both are still *growing*)

StoOgE said:
i wish the brd camp would stop pretending that they are worried about the future of hdtv media and just admit they are mad cuz they thought their format of choice was about to win, and now they have to wait another year to 'win'.

im not going to pretend hddvd getting new legs doesnt make me happy for purely selfish reasons

edit.. told you i read brd moneyhatted bb

Buying an HD-DVD player is pretty cheap, expecially compared to buying movies. I'd be *cheering* if BluRay had just died and all the studios pledged strong support for HD-DVD, and I'd be running out enthusiastically to buy a player (and the Universal titles that I am longing for). I make plenty of money, as I douchily asserted long ago in this thread. :) No, I'm pissed because best case scenario I have two players to play al my movies, worst case the Xmas HDM flops and studios start pulling out/cutting back.

This isn't a console war, the rules of engaement are different.

jjasper

So did Paramount and Dreamworks actually have any say in this or was it the work of Viacom?

Anyway if $50-100million is the going rate these days I would gladly drop my BD support too if MS wanted to throw even 1% of that my way. Sony if you want to bid too I am listening.

Flo_Evans

This sucks balls for movie fans. I guess I could get the 360 add on but I am gonna be limited to 1080i over component and optical for sound. I could get a new HDMI 360, but then might aswell get a stand alone or a combo player. There are quite a few Universal and Paramount flicks I would like to own in HD but I really don't want any extra shit in my entertainment center though, its fucking crowded as is.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Azrael said:

Which would that be because I see both sides pissing away cash to win this war. Toshiba eats money on players and sony ate hundreds on PS3s. MS is just there faning the flames.

Sony could end this war when ever they want. They just have to come up with an entry level player at the same costs as the A series. It is sony who keeps this going by refusing to release a non outragously priced player. Entry level 249 dollar blue ray player kills any advantage HD-dvd had.

VALIS

This announcement made me just buy a 360 HD-DVD add-on from Amazon. They're practically giving it away at $189 with 5 free movies, but I still didn't want one. Now I guess I can justify it. It's like I'm getting an HD-DVD player for 60 bucks. My five free BluRays with the purchase of a PS3 should be arriving at some point soon, too.

I don't support either of these formats over the other and have been against them in general, actually, but if they're gonna give me all this free shit, what the hell... :D

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
MechDX said:
Si why didnt Sony just team up with Toshiba and include HD DVD in the PS3? Problem readily solved.

Do you honestly want to discuss hypotheticals like that? What happened, happened. Obviously, Sony felt Bluray was the superior format and they went with that for the PS3. This isn't some fanciful do-good environment where companies love to get along. Sony invested heavily into R&D for Bluray (along with other companies, just to make that clear so some people don't keep thinking it's Sony's baby) and they had planned to put it into PS3 for a long time. From a business standpoint, it makes no sense to just throw all that time and money spent away for a competitor's format.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom