• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
jjasper said:
So did Paramount and Dreamworks actually have any say in this or was it the work of Viacom?

Anyway if $50-100million is the going rate these days I would gladly drop my BD support too if MS wanted to throw even an 1% of that my way.

bp515030-best-je.jpg

Sumner Redstone liked the moneyhats and forced Paramount's hand. An HD DVD spy told him that Tom Cruise supported Blu-ray.

I made all this up

Flo_Evans said:
This sucks balls for movie fans. I guess I could get the 360 add on but I am gonna be limited to 1080i over component and optical for sound. I could get a new HDMI 360, but then might aswell get a stand alone or a combo player. There are quite a few Universal and Paramount flicks I would like to own in HD but I really don't want any extra shit in my entertainment center though, its fucking crowded as is.
if you have a 1080p tv it'll deinterlace movie content to 1080p from 1080i. you won't get 1080p 24hz if your tv supports it, but you will still get 1080p.

jjasper

quest said:
Sony could end this war when ever they want. They just have to come up with an entry level player at the same costs as the A series. It is sony who keeps this going by refusing to release a non outragously priced player. Entry level 249 dollar blue ray player kills any advantage HD-dvd had.

Sony can't do that. Why do you think so many electronics companies support Blu Ray and not HD DVD? These companies are losing money on DVD players and don't want to have a bottom drop out so fast on their new tech, nor do they want cheap Chinese players on the market (which is why you always hear that about HD DVD and never BD)

Bebpo

Banned
The one positive affect of today's news for both camps is that hopefully the HD-DVD group will push Paramount to start putting out their big hits. Like others have stated, the only Paramount film I own in HD is MI:III. They put out like 4 movies a month or something and 90% of it is forgettable.

It'd be really nice if HD-DVD group pushed them to start pumping out films like Gladiator, something that has waited far too long to not appear on an HD disc so far.

Alcibiades

Blu-ray
Columbia
Disney
Fox
MGM
Lion's Gate
Warner
New Line
Weinstein

HD DVD
Universal
Paramount
Dreamworks (live-action)
Dreamworks Animation
Warner
New Line
Weinstein

A Sony insider on blu-ray.com has said Weinstein titles are in the works for Blu-ray, but no official announcement has been made. Also, Dreamworks and Dreamworks Animation are COMPLETELY SEPARATE companies. Dreamworks is owned by Viacom and is a sister company to Paramount (though they operate independently and publish on DVD under the "Dreamworks Home Entertainment" label, which Paramount distributes, just like Warner distributes for New Line who makes decisions independent of Warner). Dreamworks Animation is it's own company, but has a distribution deal with Paramount.

Confusing, but an important distinction.

That said, since Universal has been the most aggressive studio in number of releases, the support is a lot more balanced than it seems despite HD DVD not having Sony, Fox, and Disney.

If we learned anything from dvd it should be that the format is not a determining factor in picture quality. Its studios making a fucking effort and the quality of the original source.

Edit: MGM needs to release singin in the rain to show they are serious. Please!

cvxfreak

The 360 add-on, like HD-DVD players, are region-free right?

My house is pretty big and I have 5 HDTVs -- lugging around the PS3 and 360 + add-on is very inconvenient when you've got surround sound and what not at every TV.

I'm also buying a Japanese 360 in a few months, so the American add-on will work perfectly right? The 5 movie thing is a good deal and I can sell the ones I don't want to recoup a bit. If I go for it, it'll be my second add-on, for convenience's sake.

djkimothy

cvxfreak said:

My house is pretty big and I have 5 HDTVs -- lugging around the PS3 and 360 + add-on is very inconvenient when you've got surround sound and what not at every TV.

I'm also buying a Japanese 360 in a few months, so the American add-on will work perfectly right? The 5 movie thing is a good deal and I can sell the ones I don't want to recoup a bit.

o_O

Bebpo

Banned
cvxfreak said:

I'm also buying a Japanese 360 in a few months, so the American add-on will work perfectly right? The 5 movie thing is a good deal and I can sell the ones I don't want to recoup a bit.

Yes they are region-free and yes it will work on an X360 from any region.

favouriteflavour said:
If we learned anything from dvd it should be that the format is not a determining factor in picture quality. Its studios making a fucking effort and the quality of the original source.

Yep. Plus we learned that multi-disc sets are more exciting and there's nothing wrong with putting all your extras on the 2nd disc.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
jjasper said:
Sony can't do that. Why do you think so many electronics companies support Blu Ray and not HD DVD? These companies are losing money on DVD players and don't want to have a bottom drop out so fast on their new tech, nor do they want cheap Chinese players on the market (which is why you always hear that about HD DVD and never BD)

This is a very important point. Companies want to make money, people. Sure, prices for consumers benefit, but there's a fine line between being beneficial for consumers and maintaining a healthy business model.

Flo_Evans

plagiarize said:
if you have a 1080p tv it'll deinterlace movie content to 1080p from 1080i. you won't get 1080p 24hz if your tv supports it, but you will still get 1080p.

I am aware, my TV analog circuit is just not as good as the digital path. I just switched my cable box from component to HDMI connection and it was a pretty big difference. Hmm I just realized it could be my cable boxes analog outs... but whatever! I want a digital video and audio signal (on the same cable!) and would rather skip the player interlacing it then the TV de-interlacing if I can :D

quest

Not Banned from OT
jjasper said:

I hope hd-dvd gains momentum then and forces them out of that position. I want a winner and players under 200 dollars. I am not going to use a game console as a movie player. I also need 2 and soon 3 players when I do switch over. I don't care who wins as long as I get cheap player asap.

cvxfreak

djkimothy said:

Three of the bedrooms, the family room and the theatre room, which is downstairs, all have HDTVs and matching sound systems. Having to move the 360 and PS3 to and from the theatre room is very inconvenient. :lol

Alcibiades

Crayon Shinchan said:
The way you list Dreamworks/Paramount to inflate it

You could list Sony/Disney like so

Sony
Colombia
Tristar
Disney
Beuna Vista
Miramax
Except Disney, Buena Vista, and Miramax act as a single unit.

Paramount and Dreamworks operate independently despite both being owned by Viacom. Warner, New Line, and HBO also operate independently, despite Warner distributing the home video titles of all 3.

Giving Paramount credit for the work done at Dreamworks has actually aggravated Steven Spielberg and other people at Dreamworks. Heck, they hired Stacey Snider, who used to be a top exec at Universal Studios, just to help run Dreamworks. Miramax on the other hand, couldn't start making their own decisions independent of Disney approval.

djkimothy

cvxfreak said:
Three of the bedrooms, the family room and the theatre room, which is downstairs, all have HDTVs and matching sound systems. Having to move the 360 and PS3 to and from the theatre room is very inconvenient. :lol

I'm sure it can be a pain.

I wish I had your problem. :lol

Azrael

quest said:
Sony could end this war when ever they want. They just have to come up with an entry level player at the same costs as the A series. It is sony who keeps this going by refusing to release a non outragously priced player. Entry level 249 dollar blue ray player kills any advantage HD-dvd had.

I disagree. HD DVD standalones are already pretty affordable for anyone with the disposable income to buy an HDTV, and while standalone Blu-ray players aren't quite there yet, I'd be willing to bet they will be this Christmas. If price of the hardware was the issue, HDTV owners would be buying HD DVD players in droves. They aren't.

Mainstream consumers will not buy an HD movie player no matter how inexpensive it is as long as half the movies they want are exclusive to an incompatible HD movie format.

YYZ

Alcibiades said:
Blu-ray
A Sony insider on blu-ray.com has said Weinstein titles are in the works for Blu-ray, but no official announcement has been made.
What are the biggest films under the Weinstein Co.? Does this mean Sin City, Kill Bill, and Pulp Fiction?

Also, when is the new Blu-Ray "profile" going to be introduced? Stuff like picture-in-picture, etc...

djkimothy

YYZ said:
What are the biggest films under the Weinstein Co.? Does this mean Sin City, Kill Bill, and Pulp Fiction?

Also, when is the new Blu-Ray "profile" going to be introduced? Stuff like picture-in-picture, etc...

The whole bloody affair, sin city 2 are what pops into mind.

Oct 31st i believe

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
cvxfreak said:

Books will one day be written of your tribulations...

quest

Not Banned from OT
Azrael said:
I disagree. HD DVD standalones are already pretty affordable for anyone with the disposable income to buy an HDTV, and while standalone Blu-ray players aren't quite there yet, I'd be willing to bet they will be this Christmas. If price of the hardware was the issue, HDTV owners would be buying HD DVD players in droves. They aren't.

Mainstream consumers will not buy an HD movie player no matter how inexpensive it is as long as half the movies they want are exclusive to an incompatible HD movie format.

It is the cheap A series that is keeping this format war alive. It is outselling stand alone blue ray players by a lot. The people who buy the stand alone players buy a crap load of movies. That is why blue ray only has 66% of movie sales dispite having what 10 or 20 times as many players. A entry level blue ray player would sell a lot better than the current insanely priced players. Soon as blue ray stand alone players out sell hd-dvd stand alone players the war is over that is it.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
cvxfreak said:

I'm also buying a Japanese 360 in a few months, so the American add-on will work perfectly right? The 5 movie thing is a good deal and I can sell the ones I don't want to recoup a bit. If I go for it, it'll be my second add-on, for convenience's sake.
Geez dude, sounds like you could pay someone to hall your hi def players around the house whenever you need them!

SRG01

cvxfreak said:

How big are these HDTVs? :lol

Send one my way, please!!

bengraven

Bebpo said:
Yes they are region-free and yes it will work on an X360 from any region.

Wait, HD-DVD players are region free? Does that also include DVD9? Could I, for example, watch a Region 2 DVD in my American HD-DVD player?

cvxfreak

SRG01 said:
How big are these HDTVs? :lol

Send one my way, please!!

Because I fear the responses, I'm spoiler tagging them but these are approximate measurements :lol

Bedroom 1 - 23 inch Samsung
Bedroom 2 - 42 inch Pioneer Elite
Bedroom 3 - 40 inch Samsung
Family Room - 60 inch Hitachi
Theatre Room - 95 inch projector

djkimothy

cvxfreak said:
Because I fear the responses, I'm spoiler tagging them but these are approximate measurements :lol

Do you need a roomate?

I can cook.
sorta

lupin23rd

Just an aside from the whole format war, am I the only one here who doesn't like Heroes? I don't see anything appealing about it at all. Ah well, I guess I'm not a "superhero" kind of guy - 100% Blu so far, and not much interest in Spiderman either heh

SRG01

cvxfreak said:

I cannot turn into a greener shade of envy. :lol

Another aside about Heroes, I don't want to judge as I have seen little of the series and won't base anything on my limited viewing as it didn't interest me but isn't it very similar to the comic series Rising Stars?

YYZ

lupin23rd said:
Just an aside from the whole format war, am I the only one here who doesn't like Heroes? I don't see anything appealing about it at all. Ah well, I guess I'm not a "superhero" kind of guy - 100% Blu so far, and not much interest in Spiderman either heh
I liked Heroes early on in the season, but later on everyone just used their powers for everything which I guess is expected, but I didn't find it so appealing anymore. I guess I'm more of a drama and action guy, easy on the science fiction please. This is why I really like BSG, it is sci-fi but it's not all about sci-fi. When I watch Heroes, it's "oh he used his powers to do that", "oh more powers, yay". I don't find any TV series worth buying except for Simpsons, Futurama, and Family Guy.

I'll be getting the Spidey trilogy though.

does anyone else have the feeling that ps3 has alot to do with this? with it inevitably coming in 3rd this christmas and xbox LIVE movies doing shockingly well, sonys plan may have backfired it seems. Oh and $150 HD DVD players.

rubso

Banned
I'm tired and bored, therefore I will pick it up from amazon.com :p, I'll let them email me when it's available.
thanks, heavy liquid & djkimothy.

Snah

Banned
MobiusPigeon said:
does anyone else have the feeling that ps3 has alot to do with this? with it inevitably coming in 3rd this christmas and xbox LIVE movies doing shockingly well, sonys plan may have backfired it seems. Oh and $150 HD DVD players.

Why would that have anything to do with it when PS3 is one of the main reasons Blu-Ray has come back from losing to HD-DVD to now beating it 2:1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom