• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

justjohn

VanMardigan said:
Hey, I'm neutral now, it wasn't me!

*slowly backs out of thread*
200px-Shaggy-wasn%27t-me.jpg

mr stroke

StoOgE said:
I want to go buy Bourne and Bladerunner today, but my parents know that I love both movies, so I have to wait till Xmas to see if they got me those before buying them. Ugg. I need them now :(

Is Pans Labrynth out yet?

I would suggest picking up Bourne at the least, because its BOGO at bestbuy right now

Walshicus

mr stroke said:
about the best picture quality you can get in HD
Cool! I was surprised to see it so cheap in Gamestation. Serenity in Tesco for £12 was a nice surprise, but if Corpse Bride's picture quality is as great as you say then I'm downright confused by the pricing... They had most other titles there for £20-ish.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Sir Fragula said:
Cool! I was surprised to see it so cheap in Gamestation. Serenity in Tesco for £12 was a nice surprise, but if Corpse Bride's picture quality is as great as you say then I'm downright confused by the pricing... They had most other titles there for £20-ish.
It is great quality, mine was $10 new in an American sale. :D

mr stroke

Sir Fragula said:
I would asume its priced that way because it was released almost two years ago. IMO its one of HDDVD's best releases and the movie its self is pretty good too

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
So I asked this a few pages ago and got no response so I will ask again..

Anyone have any details on the Korean version of Transformers Blu Ray?

Release Date?

DD+?

DolbyTrueHD?

LPCM?

VC-1?

MPEG2?

AVC?

BD-25?

BD-50?

And most importantly, does it work on a US PlayStation 3?

Kleegamefan said:

Release Date?

DD+?

DolbyTrueHD?

LPCM?

VC-1?

MPEG2?

AVC?

BD-25?

BD-50?

It's not out yet and there's not a lot of info on it.

markom58

Neo Member
OokieSpookie said:
:lol So are we going to get an update every time they add something as if it is some secret surprise?

Wait, what's funny? Of course you will get an update. Isnt this the purpose of this board? Not every HD 360 owner keeps checking what's available in marketplace (Similar to topics like xblarcade or xbldemos or even the PSNetwork) I know I've gotten tons of heads up this way just reading neogaf.

Moreover, the 2 titles are bluray only (well at least in the US, I am unfamiliar on who distributes what in other countries) which an HD DVD only person who likes the movies (like myself) can at least experience these titles in HD. It was a surprise to me, a sweet one at that, and was excited about this and posted to let other people know.

So again, what's funny? I dont understand.

Kleegamefan said:

Oh wow, the only HD-DVD I've lusted over has been Transformers...it would be so cool if this Korean version would play on my PS3.

Kleegamefan said:

Release Date?

DD+?

DolbyTrueHD?

LPCM?

VC-1?

MPEG2?

AVC?

BD-25?

BD-50?

Wha..what?

There's going to be a Korean Blu-ray release of Transformers?! Korean is region 1 right?! If there is english, I must have it!!

lupin23rd

Anyone else pick up Rush Hour 3 on BD today?

Looked decent, I'm not the guy to ask about PQ and have nothing to speak of for audio equipment so AQ is whatever, curious what other people thought.

Probably not as a good a movie as the first two, but perhaps some of the best outtakes in the end credits as the series had.

YYZ

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Wha..what?

There's going to be a Korean Blu-ray release of Transformers?! Korean is region 1 right?! If there is english, I must have it!!
yes it is region 1, does the disc have English and Korean tracks or just English...or just Korean? That would be funny.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
markom58 said:
So again, what's funny? I dont understand.
Because it'd be the same as reporting when these movies appear on your cable operator's On Demand service, in this thread - it isn't germane to the topic. BD or HD-DVD exclusivity never stopped these movies from appearing in HD by some other means.

kaching said:
Because it'd be the same as reporting when these movies appear on your cable operator's On Demand service, in this thread - it isn't germane to the topic. BD or HD-DVD exclusivity never stopped these movies from appearing in HD by some other means.

Exactly, this is a Blu Ray/ hd-dvd thread not on demand thread.
Even though I am sure some....somewhere....appreciate the zeal and the obvious...enthusiasm you show but be assured that people already know.
HOLY SHIT I CAN GET BOURNE ON DEMAND THROUGH MY CABLE COMPANY :D :D :D

markom58

Neo Member
kaching said:

I can see your point. But there is a difference between that and xbox live marketplace. While this is OT, neogaf is still a gaming board and I assume a lot of the blu ray players are PS3's and a lot of the HD DVD players are 360 add ons. My post is just me, excited jumping up and down and waving to other 360 add on owners, trying to share that these titles are available on live, that's all. Believe me this doesnt really happen a lot on live. Not blu ray (US exclusive?), not big titles like these, and not in a quick manner. Hence the excitement :D :D :D

I actually dont have HD on demand on cable. Damn thing has be broken for awhile now :D

DJ_Tet

Banned
Has anyone compared the Marketplace version of Pirates vs the Blu Ray version?

I saw that most downloads clock in between 5-7 gigs, certainly it isn't full HD? I imagine it has to still look impressive though, are there any good comparisons online? I'm not sure which movies are on Marketplace (and am not interested in digital d/l,) I just want to know how good the technology is at present time.

Bebpo

Banned
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but Blade Runner (at least on BD) has multi-language menus depending on the region of your player. I stuck it in and the menus (root and pop up) were in Japanese on my JPN PS3, whereas they were in English when I put it in my brother's US PS3.

Duke Togo

A few Testimonials:

William - "Nothing but good things to say about HD-DVD. Keep the movies coming!"

Alesha - "I love HD DVD, they need more studio support! Plus Blue-ray is way over priced, nobody wants to pay $1000 for a dvd player!"

Terry - "HD DVD is growing much faster than Blu-Ray. Release your films, and I will purchase."

Tony - "HD-DVD gives us a realistic - reliable affordable way to enjoy movies in HD... Give us full support! Thank you."

Steven - "I own the Toshiba HD DVD player XA1 and it is amazing.I work part-time at Circuit -City (2 years) and it is a significantly better picture than the Samsung Blu-Ray player."

Eric - "Blue-Ray didn't deliver what it promised and HD-DVD has delivered in every area it was supposed to. In practice it's the better, more stable format."

Mischa - "Don't withold those great titles, bring them at least to both formats. Let the consumer decide!"

Dan - "I've compared both versions, and quality is better than blu-ray. But what appeals to me is how much more affordable it is.."

Nolan - "I am a large consumer of movie software and would love to increase my library with tittles on HD DVD. Please release tittles and let the consumer decide which format should win."

Charity - "Please end this now. Look at the sales numbers.The consumer has clearly sided with HD DVD."

Tom - "Its the only way forward. It Works..."
http://www.campaignhd.com/

Pure comedy gold. :lol

Snah

Banned
More bogus, ridiculous fudged numbers being spread by Universal. :lol :lol :lol

Anyone remember when Universal claimed transformers sold 190k? Yeah, same deal. Universal would be lucky to have sold half that the first week.

"According to Universal, Harry Potter sales of HD-DVD are outpacing Blu-Ray"

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6515097.html

Sounds like a desperation move and attempt at FUD in order to win favor with Warner. Well, I can't imagine lying would win them any favor. I'm sure warner has the real figures and data, not Universal.

There's now way these figures are true if Blu-Ray beat HD-DVD 61:39 last week.

Zaptruder

Banned
It's true.

HD-DVD sales of the Harry Potter box sets are outpacing the sell through for BD versions...

as a percentage of the installed base (including PS3s) that are buying the movies.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
lets have some speculation as to why Harry Potter is selling more on HDDVD

lets think...

- More big titles on PS3 so less money to spend on a particular title?
- THe only really big title out for HDDVD that week, so its gets a disproportionate amount of dollars spent on it?

Don't really know, but lets spin!

Also, it'll flow nicely into how Warner will go HDDVD now because of Harry Potter :D

edit: god that linked article is shit. Pure spin. Universal only cite the single Spiderman 3 title for their headline comparison and don't include the box set?

Then Harry potter outselling is suddenly proof that Q4 sales of HDDVD are comparable? No they aren't, they're still 2:1 or higher. How is one title proof of anything apart from sales of that title.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Zaptruder said:
It's true.

HD-DVD sales of the Harry Potter box sets are outpacing the sell through for BD versions...

as a percentage of the installed base (including PS3s) that are buying the movies.

Attach ratios!

:lol :D

markom58

Neo Member
DJ_Tet said:
Has anyone compared the Marketplace version of Pirates vs the Blu Ray version?

I saw that most downloads clock in between 5-7 gigs, certainly it isn't full HD? I imagine it has to still look impressive though, are there any good comparisons online? I'm not sure which movies are on Marketplace (and am not interested in digital d/l,) I just want to know how good the technology is at present time.

I cant compare I dont have a blu player yet =( but its not full HD, i dont think, it says 720p. But it does still look impressive. :D Just to clarify you can only rent movies on live but you can purchase tv shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom