• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DC R1D3R

Banned
Snah said:
More bogus, ridiculous fudged numbers being spread by Universal. :lol :lol :lol

Anyone remember when Universal claimed transformers sold 190k? Yeah, same deal. Universal would be lucky to have sold half that the first week.

"According to Universal, Harry Potter sales of HD-DVD are outpacing Blu-Ray"

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6515097.html

Sounds like a desperation move and attempt at FUD in order to win favor with Warner. Well, I can't imagine lying would win them any favor. I'm sure warner has the real figures and data, not Universal.

There's now way these figures are true if Blu-Ray beat HD-DVD 61:39 last week.

So you're trying to tell me that Sony's "Press releases" are more credible than Universal's now?...............Oh wait
bridalparty_kao.jpg
my bad.

Snah

Banned
DC R1D3R said:
So you're trying to tell me that Sony's "Press releases" are more credible than Universal's now?...............Oh wait
bridalparty_kao.jpg
my bad.

Point to a post where I actually said that, instead of being an asshat.

No, I'll take Nielsen over any company's official stance.

Elios83

Snah said:

Anyone remember when Universal claimed transformers sold 190k? Yeah, same deal. Universal would be lucky to have sold half that the first week.

Sounds like a desperation move and attempt at FUD in order to win favor with Warner. Well, I can't imagine lying would win them any favor. I'm sure warner has the real figures and data, not Universal.

Well this kind of (useless) reaction pretty much confirms that there's something going on behind the scenes with Warner wanting to go Blu.

djkimothy

Snah said:

Heh. Funny. That's quite the load of FUD...

And the testimonials posted earlier has to be fake. Seriously.

Ponn

Banned
djkimothy said:
As much as I trust Charity. :lol

I mean, what kind of sick fanboy would make a site like that.

The kind with split personalities that he can poll for their individual view on HD-DVD.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Uhh, if a poster can't go two weeks without getting banned, perhaps he doesn't belong in this thread or on this board. What's the point of repeatedly banning someone who clearly isn't interested in changing his tone?

mrklaw said:
lets have some speculation as to why Harry Potter is selling more on HDDVD

lets think...

- More big titles on PS3 so less money to spend on a particular title?
- THe only really big title out for HDDVD that week, so its gets a disproportionate amount of dollars spent on it?

HD-DVD owners are older, on average, and are therefore more likely to have children.

Seriously.

DJ_Tet said:
Uhh, if a poster can't go two weeks without getting banned, perhaps he doesn't belong in this thread or on this board. What's the point of repeatedly banning someone who clearly isn't interested in changing his tone?

In my opinion he doesn't deserve to be banned this time.
DC R1D3R who barely ever even posts in this thread decides to come in and bait Snah yet Snah gets banned.
DO not get me wrong, other times he has gone overboard but in this case I do not see it.
Not my decision though.

DC R1D3R

Banned
DJ_Tet said:

Beats me :[

anyhows, got my Bladerunner set (collectors edition), Stardust, Lord Of War and Reservoir Dogs in the post today. Weekend confirmed.
:]

djkimothy

well snah delivered a personal insult which is a nono. I tend to just ignore the new comers unless they have some interesting info like deals and release dates and such.

DC R1D3R

Banned
djkimothy said:
well snah delivered a personal insult which is a nono. I tend to just ignore the new comers unless they have some interesting info like deals and release dates and such.

Yeh, I feel for him. I think the brother is really starting to feal the pressure nowadays.

BTW the Bladerunner PQ (HD DVD) is Immense. One of the best transfers I've seen yet. I honestly thought that Transformers would hold the title of "Best Image Quality" for some time, but boy..........competition's tough.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
djkimothy said:
Other people have repeatedly delivered personal insults including calling multiple posters a-holes in one post, yet that person didnt get banned.

What were the top ten, i must have missed that post.

Let's can the backseat modding and can someone explain this Universal studios / HD-DVD conundrum to me? Are they exclusive or something?

This is problematic as Hellboy 2 looks awesome. :(

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
The Take Out Bandit said:
Let's can the backseat modding and can someone explain this Universal studios / HD-DVD conundrum to me? Are they exclusive or something?

This is problematic as Hellboy 2 looks awesome. :(
Universal, Paramount and Dreamworks are exclusive.

The first Hellboy is Sony pictures, is Hellboy 2 Universal?
How lame, i just checked the preview, it is Universal.

Think positively and by the time the movie even comes out in theaters the format war could be over.

gkryhewy

Elios83 said:
Well this kind of (useless) reaction pretty much confirms that there's something going on behind the scenes with Warner wanting to go Blu.

Not at all - the article is about the two highest profile HD DVD releases, i.e. Bourne and OOtP (rather than, say, BR and OOtP :D). BTW, the article indicates that the numbers are "according to Universal Studios Home Entertainment and other industry research sources", for whatever that's worth.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
YYZ said:
yes it is region 1, does the disc have English and Korean tracks or just English...or just Korean? That would be funny.
Korean releases are not often dubbed(Pixar/Disney stuff usually is, everything else not so much), and they always keep English language to my knowledge. If Transformers BD happens here, it'll be in English.

I haven't seen anything official on this though - but if it doesn't happen on BD, I doubt it'll ever come out on HD format here.

Klee said:
And most importantly, does it work on a US PlayStation 3?
Region is same so yes. But personally I haven't been able to trace down any reliable information(from actual local sources) about this rumour, so I take it with grain of salt.

Dot50Cal

Banned
So we all know Blu-ray has more Lossless audio releases than HD DVD, but a guy named ehomer on AVS Forum did a nice breakdown by studio. I'll quote his post:

NEUTRAL*
Warner Lossless Blu-Ray (94 titles) = 21.28%
Warner Lossless HD DVD (116 titles) = 25.86%

Paramount Lossless Blu-Ray (30 titles) = 0%
Paramount Lossless HD DVD (38 titles) = 10.53%

Dreamworks Lossless Blu-Ray (3 titles) = 0%
Dreamworks Lossless HD DVD (6 titles) = 0%

HD DVD EXCLUSIVE
Universal HD DVD (133 titles) ------> = 18.05%

BLU-RAY EXCLUSIVE
Buena Vista/Disney Blu-Ray (50 titles) = 100%
FOX Blu-Ray (43 titles) ------------> = 97.67%
MGM Blu-Ray (13 titles) ------------> = 100%
SONY Blu-Ray (93 titles) -----------> = 100%
Lionsgate Blu-Ray (32 titles) -------> = 28.13%

Conclusion: Other then Lionsgate not pulling their weight, it's studios also releasing on HD DVD that are reducing Blu-Ray lossless average down. If you keep Lionsgate but remove studios releasing on HD DVD, Blu-Ray's lossless percentage is 96%. 30 gigs simply is'nt enough. Look at Digital Playground's Pirates Blu-Ray release vs. the HD DVD one: the extras on the HD DVD are SD and the ones on the upcoming Blu-Ray are HD and the ONLY reason for this is because of space limitations on HD DVD.

P.S. Stats above are from Bluraystats.com in early December 2007

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=12555796#post12555796

Pretty interesting imo.

*Paramount is now HD DVD Exclusive
276 Blu-ray titles offer a lossless track. (62.6%)
86 HD DVD titles offer a lossless track. (22.4%)

Dot50Cal said:
So we all know Blu-ray has more Lossless audio releases than HD DVD, but a guy named ehomer on AVS Forum did a nice breakdown by studio. I'll quote his post:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=12555796#post12555796

Pretty interesting imo.

*Paramount is now HD DVD Exclusive
276 Blu-ray titles offer a lossless track. (62.6%)
86 HD DVD titles offer a lossless track. (22.4%)

The fact that HD DVD continues to use DD+ is indication that Space/bandwidth is an issue. Otherwise, why no simply use True HD for everything. Roger Dressler for Dolby even mentioned that the royalty fees are the same and True HD is faster to implement than DD+.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I know people ask this all the time. Sorry:

Which version of Blade Runner should I get? Blu or HD DVD?

(I only care about the movie(s) and could give a shit about cases, or weird extras)

Stinkles said:

(I only care about the movie(s) and could give a shit about cases, or weird extras)

Which player will allow you to enjoy the movie better? IMO, the Red casing looks better. However, the way the discs are positioned in the case means, if they come loose, they will be scratched on the HD DVD, but not blu-ray. That's something to consider.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
DarkJediKnight said:
Which player will allow you to enjoy the movie better? IMO, the Red casing looks better. However, the way the discs are positioned in the case means, if they come loose, they will be scratched on the HD DVD, but not blu-ray. That's something to consider.

That's not helping. One is $27 on Amazon and the other is $70.

I do not know why this is beyond the retarded metal case.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Stinkles said:

They are both identical, aren't they? I'd say whatever device you have that outputs better sound + video.

As for the ultimate edition case stuff, AFAIK the standard edition has all the same disc content as the ultimate one. I dont need a briefcase and all that junk so I just went with the standard :) Judging from your appearance on Game Theory it seems you feel the same way :lol

Edit:

So what are the differences between 'The Complete Collector's Edition' and 'The Ultimate Collector's Edition'? 'The Ultimate Collector's Edition' also includes several bonus collectibles, and houses the entire package in unique Deckard Briefcase packaging. (Complete details can be found in our Blu-ray review of 'The Ultimate Collector's Edition.')

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1039/bladerunner_cce.html#vital

So yeah, just junk.

thaivo

I'm Back from a ban.. :D Not sure what I did, but oh well, I had school, work and shopping to do anyways.

Bought Bourne Ultimatum during the buy one get one free. My second disc? The Bourne Ultimatum.... :lol

I'm debating whether to give my second Bourne copy to my brother-in-law as a christmas present, or sell it on Ebay so my first disc only costs me 9 bucks.

The movie? Freaking awesome. I wish I could have waited until HD DVD to see it actually, because at home it simply better than in the theater! It's one of those times when you want to erase your memory. I also like that it's a Combo, so I can take it over to my inlaws during the holidays and watch some of it with them. All around great purchase.

gray_fox224

thaivo said:
I'm Back from a ban.. :D Not sure what I did, but oh well, I had school, work and shopping to do anyways.

Bought Bourne Ultimatum during the buy one get one free. My second disc? The Bourne Ultimatum.... :lol

I'm debating whether to give my second Bourne copy to my brother-in-law as a christmas present, or sell it on Ebay so my first disc only costs me 9 bucks.

The movie? Freaking awesome. I wish I could have waited until HD DVD to see it actually, because at home it simply better than in the theater! It's one of those times when you want to erase your memory. I also like that it's a Combo, so I can take it over to my inlaws during the holidays and watch some of it with them. All around great purchase.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the flip disk but when I'm at my parents or girlfriend's house, I'm happy it's there :lol

womfalcs3

Banned
So we bought High School Musical 2 on DVD today. As I was setting it for my little sister today, I noticed that they're playing a fairly lengthy advertisement for blu-ray at the beginning.

Is this the case for all Disney DVD's? I didn't know this, but it's huge. I mean a movie like PotC3 selling 8 million DVD's in its first week of release (and other Disney DVD's selling millions)... that's huge advertising.

womfalcs3 said:
So we bought High School Musical 2 on DVD today. As I was setting it for my little sister today, I noticed that they're playing a fairly lengthy advertisement for blu-ray at the beginning.

Is this the case for all Disney DVD's? I didn't know this, but it's huge. I mean a movie like PotC3 selling 8 million DVD's in its first week of release (and other Disney DVD's selling millions)... that's huge advertising.

They did one before national treasure 2 in the theater too

thaivo

gray_fox224 said:
Yeah, I'm not a fan of the flip disk but when I'm at my parents or girlfriend's house, I'm happy it's there :lol
Definitely convenient. I've never had problems with Combo's other than the price... which seems to be changing as the Bourne Ultimatum and various other Combo's have been coming out was priced as a regular HD DVD. Now I only need to grab a copy of the Identity to complete my trilogy. :D It's 16.99 at Fry's, so that's very tempting.

gray_fox224

Speaking of sales, who's excited for tomorrow's B2G1 at Bestbuy?

I'm going be there bright and early to pick up:

Pan's L
Kingdom
Eastern Promises

Decado

Any news on when LotR will be released in HD? Last I heard it was going to be around now...but obviously that isn't the case.

B-Ri

Sony BD player for $300

or

PS3 40gb for $399

PS3 is profile 2.0 ready, i think this sony BD player is only 1.0, cant go to 1.1 final profile.

wha tshould i do?

Zoe

Would you use the media streaming? That + eventual digital download service
5 years from now
is a pretty good incentive.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
B-Ri said:
Sony BD player for $300

or

PS3 40gb for $399

PS3 is profile 2.0 ready, i think this sony BD player is only 1.0, cant go to 1.1 final profile.

wha tshould i do?
Find a used 20GB PS3 for cheap.

B-Ri

dallow_bg said:
Find a used 20GB PS3 for cheap.

$350 for a used 20gb, which also means no 5 free blu-rays most likely. Yes? No?

edit: in hindsight, i would need wifi for the ps3 in the living room for updates and if we do rock band or party nights and we want to play online, theres no network cables close over there.

B-Ri said:
$350 for a used 20gb, which also means no 5 free blu-rays most likely. Yes? No?

edit: in hindsight, i would need wifi for the ps3 in the living room for updates and if we do rock band or party nights and we want to play online, theres no network cables close over there.

For the record, you can download system updates onto a thumbdrive or disk via pc.

B-Ri said:
Sony BD player for $300

or

PS3 40gb for $399

wha tshould i do?

Go for the 40GB, it's quiet by home theater standards, unlike the 20/60GB.

user friendly said:
1080i only :thumbdown:

If your set does proper deinterlacing (mine even reconstructs 24fps), it's not a huge deal. Especially at that price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom