• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snah

Banned
markom58 said:
61:39 (which is close to the YTD and LTD numbers I believe) will no way end the war unfortunately. No way will the HD DVD group fold when it was a third of the market. It will take a constant 90:10 beating. Unless things change drastically 2008 will be more of the same.

Heh. If only Paramount didn't go exclusive.

It would be 90:10 right now.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
walmart got the hda2 for about 180 bucks. which is what amazon and bb sold them for.

we know this bc

1) toshiba said so. all those sales were done by retail not toshiba.

2) this statement was backed up by walmart. in the states where loss leaders are illegal (retail cant sell a product at a loss) walmart couldnt have the 99 dale, and instead sold for 184.

firesale = every hddvd player and all movies dirt cheap. see sega dreamcast or saturn.

a single sku being sold to make way for a new sku isnt the same. a real firesale wouldnt have a new model coming out to replace it.

markom58

Neo Member
Snah said:
Heh. If only Paramount didn't go exclusive.

It would be 90:10 right now.

The best $150m Toshiba ever spent, not to mention a bold move. It would have been certainly a lot worse if Paramount was still neutral. Which brings me back to the point the HD DVD group will not go away quietly. I really thought that Warner was going blu only soon but it looks Toshiba and friends did some business moves again to make Warner stay neutral. We'll see.

I have about 10 HD DVDs, and actually getting a little ticked off about this format war. I would prefer a winner, blu I thought, red? long long shot. But it doesnt look like it will end this year. What to do for me? Turn purple and enjoy my HD movies.

Rhindle

shidoshi said:
Here's the problem, though: if companies are going to be releasing their content on only one of the two formats, WHY HAVE TWO FORMATS? If we're at a point where both formats are pretty much equal on a technical level, then why in the world do we support the idea of keeping both of them? What is the logical reason for doing that?
THere will be some transitional period (say 2 years or so) where studios will continue to release in multiple formats.

Once dual-format players become dominant (i.e. 90%+ of installed players), the cost of allocating shelf space to multiple formats will outweigh any lost sales from releasing in a single format. At that point, the choice will simply be based on manufacturing efficiency.

Note that I said "once" dual format players become dominant, not "if."

Captain N

I just wanted to see if anyone else does what I do when I am watching a trailer for a new movie that isn't out yet. I'll watch it and see if it's going to be on BluRay or HD DVD

Raistlin

StoOgE said:
walmart got the hda2 for about 180 bucks. which is what amazon and bb sold them for.

we know this bc

1) toshiba said so. all those sales were done by retail not toshiba.

2) this statement was backed up by walmart. in the states where loss leaders are illegal (retail cant sell a product at a loss) walmart couldnt have the 99 dale, and instead sold for 184.

firesale = every hddvd player and all movies dirt cheap. see sega dreamcast or saturn.

a single sku being sold to make way for a new sku isnt the same. a real firesale wouldnt have a new model coming out to replace it.

Are people still arguing this? :lol

I remember being ripped a new one for calling it a model closeout sale ... which is exactly what it was.

MechDX

Captain N said:
I just wanted to see if anyone else does what I do when I am watching a trailer for a new movie that isn't out yet. I'll watch it and see if it's going to be on BluRay or HD DVD

Yeah and I feel rather sad that I do.

Chiggs

Gold Member
markom58 said:
I really thought that Warner was going blu only soon but it looks Toshiba and friends did some business moves again to make Warner stay neutral. We'll see.

I would personally go post this in the Microsoft CES thread over in Gaming.

LJ11

MechDX said:
Yeah and I feel rather sad that I do.

But do you do it in order to gauge which side gets the edge in the war, or do you do it because you're a one format guy? The later wouldn't be sad, the former a little.

Snah

Banned
markom58 said:
The best $150m Toshiba ever spent, not to mention a bold move. It would have been certainly a lot worse if Paramount was still neutral. Which brings me back to the point the HD DVD group will not go away quietly. I really thought that Warner was going blu only soon but it looks Toshiba and friends did some business moves again to make Warner stay neutral. We'll see.

I have about 10 HD DVDs, and actually getting a little ticked off about this format war. I would prefer a winner, blu I thought, red? long long shot. But it doesnt look like it will end this year. What to do for me? Turn purple and enjoy my HD movies.

The bold move part, I can agree with. Best money ever spent? Well, only if HD-DVD somehow turns the tides and wins this thing, which it has a zero shot at right now. What's more likely to happen is that it'll end up being the biggest waste of money they've ever spent.

MechDX

LJ11 said:
But do you do it in order to gauge which side gets the edge in the war, or do you do it because you're a one format guy? The later wouldn't be sad, the former a little.

Im format neutral, Im just always curious at the end of a commercial or trailer looking for the studio logo.:lol

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
OokieSpookie said:
Nice attempt at that whole silver lining thing

So, do you know or not? Save your stupid sarcasm for the bluray forums.

Captain N said:

I thankfully don't have to do that anymore. Just like dvd, I don't have to care about which studio did what movie.

markom58

Neo Member
Snah said:
The bold move part, I can agree with. Best money ever spent? Well, only if HD-DVD somehow turns the tides and wins this thing, which it has a zero shot at right now. What's more likely to happen is that it'll end up being the biggest waste of money they've ever spent.

Not really. The $150m wasn't meant to win the war it was meant to stay in it. And Toshiba has managed to do that. Which goes back to the money well spent. $150m is nothing when there are billions to be made.

Snah

Banned
markom58 said:
Not really. The $150m wasn't meant to win the war it was meant to stay in it. And Toshiba has managed to do that. Which goes back to the money well spent. $150m is nothing when there are billions to be made.

It was meant to stay in it this fall, with hopes of seriously turning the tides by dropping prices on their players dramatically. Just buying them time and delaying the inevitable is not their end objective, I can assure you. It is only well spent if it ends up allowing HD-DVD to actually become the standard format, which is very unlikely given how things have turned out this Christmas. If their end goal is not met, then the money is an incredible waste.

Basically, they paid $150 million hoping that Transformers and Shrek would be enough to change things for this holiday season. Next year, Paramount doesn't have anything that I've seen that can compare to those two titles since Indiana Jones will appear on Blu-Ray if it appears on HD at all.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Actually, if Toshiba makes more than 150 million dollars from Paramount/Dreamworks licensing and increased marketshare as a result, then it was definitely worth it. They don't need to win the war if they make money off of the deal for it to be worth it. I assure you, it was definitely worth the price they paid, as a result they have sold more players and more overall movies as a result from every other movie studio. But you wouldn't understand that, would you?

Chiggs

Gold Member
Snah said:
Next year, Paramount doesn't have anything that I've seen that can compare to those two titles since Indiana Jones will appear on Blu-Ray if it appears on HD at all.

Their lineup looks decent, maybe a couple of surprise hits. Iron Man could be big; not Transformers big, but still...

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/startreknews.php?id=40028

I, for one, will envy those lucky HD-DVD owners who get to witness Cloverfield in HD. Those lucky ducks! Why, it was just yesterday that I was gushing over how extraordinary The Blair Witch Project looked on FEARNET HD.

Edit: Holy Dogshit!

Eagle Eye (2008)

Plot Summary: Shia LaBeouf reteams with "Disturbia" director D.J. Caruso playing a young slacker whose overachieving twin brother has died mysteriously. When the young man returns home, both he and a single mother find they have been framed as terrorists. Forced to become members of a cell that has plans to carry out a political assassination, they must work together to extricate themselves.

Another Hollywood gem!

markom58

Neo Member
Snah said:
It was meant to stay in it this fall, with hopes of seriously turning the tides by dropping prices on their players dramatically. Just buying them time and delaying the inevitable is not their end objective, I can assure you. It is only well spent if it ends up allowing HD-DVD to actually become the standard format, which is very unlikely given how things have turned out this Christmas. If their end goal is not met, then the money is an incredible waste.

Basically, they paid $150 million hoping that Transformers and Shrek would be enough to change things for this holiday season. Next year, Paramount doesn't have anything that I've seen that can compare to those two titles since Indiana Jones will appear on Blu-Ray if it appears on HD at all.

The $150m was spent to buy them time, it did. Money well spent. To reach their end goal would require a lot more money and effort. Thanks to the $150m, they still have a chance. Again money well spent.

Snah

Banned
AlteredBeast said:
Actually, if Toshiba makes more than 150 million dollars from Paramount/Dreamworks licensing and increased marketshare as a result, then it was definitely worth it. They don't need to win the war if they make money off of the deal for it to be worth it. I assure you, it was definitely worth the price they paid, as a result they have sold more players and more overall movies as a result from every other movie studio. But you wouldn't understand that, would you?

Let's see, they paid $150 million to Paramount so they could sell more players at a loss and hope to recoup that investment off software sales?

If you can assure me the price they paid was worth it (which, you can't, it's all speculation), then you'd be able to put a more realistic figure on the net gain from Paramount. It could be that the amount of players sold would have still been the same, if only because it was an extreme price drop to begin with and they would still have had Transformers and Shrek on HD-DVD regardless, it just wouldn't have been exclusive. They still had plenty of exclusives with Bourne, Batman Begins, etc to make people want an HD-DVD player.

mollipen

Rhindle said:
Once dual-format players become dominant (i.e. 90%+ of installed players), the cost of allocating shelf space to multiple formats will outweigh any lost sales from releasing in a single format. At that point, the choice will simply be based on manufacturing efficiency.

Go back to what I wrote. Even if the dedicated hardware market is 90% combo players, the largest single piece of HD hardware period is the PlayStation 3 (currently, obviously, but I'd guess it will continue to be so for at least the next few years), even if not all owners are also then Blu-ray viewers.

Why, at that point, would you produce HD-DVDs instead of Blu-rays, and ignore the potential of that installed base? As I said, if all else is equal, why as a company would you not release your titles on Blu-ray over HD-DVD, when Blu-ray would have Combos + PS3 versus just Combos?

The next question, of course, is why would anybody produce HD-DVD titles in that position at all, and in that situation, why HD-DVD should even continue to exist.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Snah said:
Let's see, they paid $150 million to Paramount so they could sell more players at a loss and hope to recoup that investment off software sales?

If you can assure me the price they paid was worth it (which, you can't, it's all speculation), then you'd be able to put a more realistic figure on the net gain from Paramount. It could be that the amount of players sold would have still been the same, if only because it was an extreme price drop to begin with and they would still have had Transformers and Shrek on HD-DVD regardless, it just wouldn't have been exclusive. They still had plenty of exclusives with Bourne, Batman Begins, etc to make people want an HD-DVD player.

Transformers sold more HD-DVD players than any other movie. Having that exclusive certainly gave HD-DVD a chance during certain months in which Blu-Ray had some heavy hitters exclusive to BR.

Then, once people owned the HD-DVD players, they weren't going to sit on their thumbs, as a result they are buying more movies for the format.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
OokieSpookie said:
For someone "neutral" you do get rather cranky around numbers time for some reason.

I asked a question, and your reply was straight from the pits of the bluray forum. That would make me cranky. The numbers, they don't upset me. I bought my HD DVD add-on, as did you, when the numbers were worse than this.

btw, did you sell it while you were banned? Does that mean you won't sell me the movies you said you would?

Snah

Banned
AlteredBeast said:
Transformers sold more HD-DVD players than any other movie. Having that exclusive certainly gave HD-DVD a chance during certain months in which Blu-Ray had some heavy hitters exclusive to BR.

Then, once people owned the HD-DVD players, they weren't going to sit on their thumbs, as a result they are buying more movies for the format.

With the extreme measures and cost reduction they resorted to this holiday season the players would have sold briskly regardless. Transformers was a big exclusive, but they have plenty of exclusives from Universal that were big (Bourne series), and some absolutely huge Warner exclusives (Matrix, Batman, V).

But you can't put that into a dollar amount, if I were to speculate it would come nowhere near the amount of money they paid (which, we still don't know exactly).

Rhindle

shidoshi said:
Go back to what I wrote. Even if the dedicated hardware market is 90% combo players, the largest single piece of HD hardware period is the PlayStation 3 (currently, obviously, but I'd guess it will continue to be so for at least the next few years), even if not all owners are also then Blu-ray viewers.

Why, at that point, would you produce HD-DVDs instead of Blu-rays, and ignore the potential of that installed base? As I said, if all else is equal, why as a company would you not release your titles on Blu-ray over HD-DVD, when Blu-ray would have Combos + PS3 versus just Combos?

The next question, of course, is why would anybody produce HD-DVD titles in that position at all, and in that situation, why HD-DVD should even continue to exist.
You would release movies in a single format because Walmart and Best Buy will MAKE you. No retailer is going to dedicate twice the shelf space to get an addition 5% or 10% in sales.

Remember this is 2-4 years from now, by which point PS3 (and 360) will include universal drives, and the early single-format players will be a drop in the bucket.

HD-DVD could very well emerge as the dominant manufacturing format because 90%+ of the world's DVD manufacturing capacity can be easily retrofitted for HD-DVD production.

http://www.dvdforum.org/sc-letter-voting-40-41.htm

8bt4lxy.jpg

I guess we can expect more details at CES this Sunday.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Bought some discs for the first time in MONTHS today, so got (all on HD-DVD):

Harry Potter 1-5
Blade Runner
Bourne 3
Twilight Zone the Movie
The Departed (to replace my rotted BRD version)

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
shidoshi said:
Here's the problem, though: if companies are going to be releasing their content on only one of the two formats, WHY HAVE TWO FORMATS? If we're at a point where both formats are pretty much equal on a technical level, then why in the world do we support the idea of keeping both of them? What is the logical reason for doing that?
Logic isn't necessarily the guiding principle here, at least not for the most invested players in each particular format. All well and good to say that neither side wants a stalemate, but neither side wants the other side to win either. Logic didn't really have a lot to do with establishing two competing formats that are functionally similar in the first place and the PS3 has been a factor since the beginning as well, yet companies have still chosen to bet against it.

This isn't about wanting to support both formats but rather what's the most likely workaround for the more divisive aspects of the format clash.

mackaveli

Has anyone found Shoot 'em up on Blu-ray in Canada? specifically Edmonton?

i checked BB and futureshop today, and no luck again, i did notice they got Resident Evil 1 by itself if you wanted to buy that without the boxset.

Dante

ManaByte said:
Bought some discs for the first time in MONTHS today, so got (all on HD-DVD):

Harry Potter 1-5
Blade Runner
Bourne 3
Twilight Zone the Movie
The Departed (to replace my rotted BRD version)

Weren't you like....... destitute last weekend?

ManaByte

Gold Member
Dante said:
Weren't you like....... destitute last weekend?

Needed to get some new movies to take my mind of things. Planning to watch HP5 with my friend on Saturday. Charged them all. Once I get a new IT job things will be fine.

oatmeal

Banned
mackaveli said:
Has anyone found Shoot 'em up on Blu-ray in Canada? specifically Edmonton?

i checked BB and futureshop today, and no luck again, i did notice they got Resident Evil 1 by itself if you wanted to buy that without the boxset.

In Calgary, and still no dice :(

It's pissing me off.

Oni Jazar

I just wached through half of Blade Runner last night and man it's gorgeous. It makes me want to buy a projector and make a 100' screen.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Got Blade Runner suitcase edition last night even though I was initially going for a regular edition. Since I couldn't find the regular one on BD anywhere, I ended up buying suitcase in the second store I visited (even that was sold out in the first Best Buy I was in)

Can't say I regretted as the whole package is great and not that expensive either. That lenticular in particular is *nice* and a perfect supplement for the movie's aesthetic.

I'm seriously amazed at how well restored this is, and how amazing transfer is in general. Almost comparable to whatever most current best releases are. Such an insane contrast to the directors cut DVD that looked like poop was smeared all over the screen last time I tried to watch it.

Also got Close Encounters, and that's almost as good restore as well, very impressed with it, but I didn't watch it as much yet. Also nice that packaging is really professionally done and looks great just as the movie deserves :)

I was also eyeing HP:prisoner of Azkhaban (realistically, the best HP movie, at least IMO) and Pirates 3 (gotta have it for visuals at least) but decided those two were more than enough for one day.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Rhindle said:
THere will be some transitional period (say 2 years or so) where studios will continue to release in multiple formats.

brilliant brilliant post. absolutely spot on. about the only question in here is if affordable combo players can make it here before one side closes in on wrapping it up.

as for this stuff about paramount being a bad investment or not.. let's look at if combo players become dominant this holiday season. Paramount already has the replication down for HD-DVD, they have the investment into learning the subsystem. They have the sotfware incompatibilities found and figured out... if combo players account for over 2/3 of player sales by this holiday, what incentive AT ALL is there for paramount to go BRD or even format neutral? if trending holds true, this coming holiday season more players will be sold just during the season than have been sold during all of 2006 and 2007. If 75% of those are combo players, that means the majority of hdm owners out there will be able to play their discs. no incentive to move to BRD on their own.

So was that $150m a good investment.. if it means that combo players become reality, what color case you release your movie in doesn't matter, and paramount pays HD-DVD licensing on media for the next 10 years... yeah, I'd say it was a good investment. sure there are a lot of ifs in there, but at this point that's all this stupid silly war is. if BRD can do this, if HD-DVD gets that. No one has any clue how this stupid war will eventually end.

He's a famous, longtime anti-Sony troll. Since, like, 1995 or so (or the early days of this forum, for his Deadmeat identity).

So he's somewhat ex-GAF.

just wanted to chime in here with the praise for Blade Runner. picked it up on Blu-Ray since my 360 is currently dead... and wow. HD makes good practical effects look so much better, unlike CGI which HD makes look worse.

makes me pine for Alien so hard. HEY FOX WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING?

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
borghe said:
brilliant brilliant post. absolutely spot on. about the only question in here is if affordable combo players can make it here before one side closes in on wrapping it up.

as for this stuff about paramount being a bad investment or not.. let's look at if combo players become dominant this holiday season. Paramount already has the replication down for HD-DVD, they have the investment into learning the subsystem. They have the sotfware incompatibilities found and figured out... if combo players account for over 2/3 of player sales by this holiday, what incentive AT ALL is there for paramount to go BRD or even format neutral? if trending holds true, this coming holiday season more players will be sold just during the season than have been sold during all of 2006 and 2007. If 75% of those are combo players, that means the majority of hdm owners out there will be able to play their discs. no incentive to move to BRD on their own.

So was that $150m a good investment.. if it means that combo players become reality, what color case you release your movie in doesn't matter, and paramount pays HD-DVD licensing on media for the next 10 years... yeah, I'd say it was a good investment. sure there are a lot of ifs in there, but at this point that's all this stupid silly war is. if BRD can do this, if HD-DVD gets that. No one has any clue how this stupid war will eventually end.

exactly, if/when combo players take the market it means that Uni and Paramount will stay HDDVD and the BRD studios will remain BRD. Then its a matter of where WB goes. It doesnt really matter to the customer at that point, its all back office politics of who gets the royaltees for the sales of WB movies. Expect lots of moneyhatting in this case to get them on board.

J6P is happy because he can just go to the store and buy a movie. Toshiba is happy because they at least manage to get 30% of HDM royaltees going forward, Sony is probably not very happy. We are all happy because these ugly blue and red boxes probably go away.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I've heard some of the visual effects scenes in BR Final Cut were re-done in CG? Is that true, and if so, which ones? I actually hope this is not true :\ it didn't seemed to be the case from what I've seen at least (I've seen at most 1/4 of the film last night)

Marconelly said:
I've heard some of the visual effects scenes in BR Final Cut were re-done in CG? Is that true, and if so, which ones? I actually hope this is not true :\
it's not true. there's been some digital clean up of the practical effects, and they digitally inserted Joanna Cassidy's face onto the stunt woman when Zhora was smashing through all the glass (very seamlessly i might add).

also, they digitally removed some of the cables you could see lifting the spinners.

they haven't redone any of the mattes or models with cgi or anything like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom