• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BojTrek

Banned
Seriously now... Will Blu-Ray be the format for this HD-era?

Right now... what is the best Blu-Ray player? Is it pointless to get Blu-Ray if you only have a 1080i Sony TV?

What is the maximum capacity for Blu-Ray disks? I have a Sony DVD player that loads 5 DVD's at-a-time... I like that... any Blu-Ray players that can hold more than one disk?

What is the best deal for Blu-Ray players? Which deal gets you the most movies for free?

I was waiting for a winner before buying movies... so it looks like Blu-Ray will win.... right?

VanMardigan said:
Yeah, I have ~25 HD DVD's, so I agree with you. I already have a Ps3, I got 2 movies from a previous Amazon BOGO today, 2 more from a previous Best Buy BOGO, and 2 more that I ordered just a few days ago (all Blu Ray). So that helps take some of the sting away. Also, we still have no idea when the Uni and Para/Dreamworks movies are making it out on Blu, so I don't regret owning those nor do I have immediate plans to sell them. But yeah, if this ends the war, in the end we'll all benefit (those of us who just wanted HD movies on disc). Plus, like I said before, I was prepared for this outcome when I bought my HD DVD drive. At the time, Uni was the only exclusive studio.

Yeah, but you've been pretty classy in here lately, well in advance of this news for the most part VM, even though your preference was always quite clear. I'll give you credit for that.

I listed this thread as one of my favorites on GAF for a reason. It's always been a good thread, and for the most part, I think it got better over time, even though people strongly disagreed. I give props to people on both sides who make this thread fun, informative, and even sometimes BATSHIT CRAZY.

:D

I hope the Blu-ray fans won't be assholes about this (I know I've tried not to be) and the HD DVD fans will accept the new realities on the ground, and move on. I think we're all fans of HD movies, not formats, I hope. And deep down inside we all knew someone was going to get a big win someday. Bottom line is, now it seems like we're all just a little bit closer to having that one format that we can all count on for a while. That's all that really matters.

Captain N

Does anyone who went out and spent the money on the Harry Potter boxset or even just any of the Harry Potter movies on HD DVD feel a bit of a sting knowing they won't have the complete collection on that format?

thaivo

VanMardigan said:
Of course, these are all short term solutions, none of which I believe will change WB's mind now.
[tongue in cheek]May be it's a timed contract like Paramount and Warner will come to its senses at the end of their contract.[/tongue in cheek]

SRG01

Battlezone said:
I can't speak for the keynote, or any announcements there, but I can tell you that the only presence XBox has in the Microsoft booth is linked to Microsoft Mediaroom, and that's only tangentially. The gaming section of the booth is entirely dedicated to Games for Windows.

Just sayin'.

Are you actually at CES? :D

mosaic

go eat paint
Like it or not, one of these formats needs to die ASAP for the good of the hi-def push. Too many people are happy with plain ol' DVD as it is -- splitting the rest is insanity.

Warner shifts to Blu, retailers decide to back one format over another... hey, in the end it means more titles on the shelf (since you don't need to sell 2 of each title for the 2 formats), more sales, and at some point -- I hope -- lower purchase prices for consumers.

I was one of the folks waiting it out to see which format would rise to the top. Now that it looks like a choice has been made, I'm ready to start spending money.

gkryhewy

Captain N said:
Does anyone who went out and spent the money on the Harry Potter boxset or even just any of the Harry Potter movies on HD DVD feel a bit of a sting knowing they won't have the complete collection on that format?

Yes, but at least the BRD cases are the same size, so 6-7 will also fit into the case :)

quest

Not Banned from OT
Very disapointing I was hoping they would stay neutral to force both sides to get off thier asses. Looks like I will be waiting a long time to buy a blu player now they have no reason to break the gentlemans agreement on pricing. I refuse to pay more than 200 for a full speced player I don't see that happening for a long time now. Also blu group can keep the licensing fees high so that means 30 dollar movies. A real shame warner did not use its power to make the winning group conceed on pricing and licensing fees.

SRG01 said:
Are you actually at CES? :D

Yep, I'm sitting in Microsoft's booth right now. It's not nearly as exciting as you might think.

Edit: The Surface stuff gets loaded in tomorrow, so I'm excited to get to play around with that.

Walshicus

Benjamin1981 said:
He is the biggest German solo recording artist. He came out of nowhere and his albums all went through the roof saleswise. But this is what happens, when you make good music.
Cool! Dude's got a great singing voice. Great to know he's appreciated! You should check out Olivia Ruiz. She's the best French pop-rock singer I know; got to love her "non dits" with Christian Olivier.

Raistlin

Sir Fragula said:
I never said anything of the sort... how did you read my post and get that?

Simple, your post was strictly referring to audio. Obviously there will be plenty of people that would like HD content as well.

While you happened to have been born in a time that allowed you to get all of your audio without the need to purchase physical media, the same is not true for people in terms of video ... specifically HD video.

I'm simply pointing out that your personal situation regarding audio is not reflective on people's situation regarding HD media.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Pristine_Condition said:
Yeah, but you've been pretty classy in here lately, well in advance of this news for the most part VM, even though your preference was always quite clear. I'll give you credit for that.

I appreciate that, since I'm often the subject of a cheap shot in this thread. And I have to say that all the Blu Ray regulars have also shown a ton of class so far. Other than being understandably elated at the news, there haven't been any "in your face" posts from any of the Blu regulars. This definitely has gone smoother than any of us could've imagined given the fierce debating that takes place here.

And it's no secret (given my post count here) that this is easily my favorite thread on GAF. I've learned a ton about audio/video, and saved a lot of money here with the deals and stuff.

michaeld

Banned
From the owner of hometheaterforum.com
Warner made their decision even before they were offered a cash settlement.

David, you have no idea how all this went down.

Some of us do......really.

This deal was made over the past few days/hours and there are
many specifics you may never be privy to.

So please don't make misleading statements like this that
are not true.

In the meantime, it looks like the format war is over. Congrats to Blu-ray!

I thought Sony didn't buy exclusives?

Sir Fragula said:
Well there just aren't that many artists with songs I feel I *have* to have available 24/7; Supertramp, Elton John, Yes, Pink Floyd, Olivia Ruiz, Xavier Naidoo and Morcheeba's discographies being most of my collection. Even then they've all got albums where I only really like one or two songs.

Yes has released albums on Arista Records, which is owned by Sony-BMG.

Raistlin

BojTrek said:
Seriously now... Will Blu-Ray be the format for this HD-era?

Signs point to yes.

Right now... what is the best Blu-Ray player? Is it pointless to get Blu-Ray if you only have a 1080i Sony TV?

With the firmware updatability, PS3's still the best (both currently, and for the immediate future). Its already 2.0 compatible.

As for whether its worth it on your TV, it matters what 'resolution' (or what CRT's correlate resolution to) your TV is. I would imagine you'll still see an decent improvement in video quality.

How does standard HD look on your TV? BD is typically a decent improvement.

What is the maximum capacity for Blu-Ray disks? I have a Sony DVD player that loads 5 DVD's at-a-time... I like that... any Blu-Ray players that can hold more than one disk?

Sony does have BD/DVD multichangers ... including one that does 300 I believe.

What is the best deal for Blu-Ray players? Which deal gets you the most movies for free?

I believe most players share the same BDA-created offers. Occasionally stores bundle other extra discs with specific players, but as long as PS3 is included in the 5-disc promotion (is it still?) ... it's really the best buy.

I was waiting for a winner before buying movies... so it looks like Blu-Ray will win.... right?

It does appear to only be a matter of time now. Nothing HD-DVD did in the past stopped BD from selling more SW per-week. Now BD player sales (not even including PS3's) are winning ... so its pretty much ownage. With this news, the gap will only increase.

MechDX

I still dont get the whole "May 31st" thing. Why would you announce support until a certain date? What would even be the reasoning behind this?

Does WB actually think people will buy their movie on HD DVD if they know its basically dead?

el Diablo

Banned
Captain N said:
who would lose more if they lose the format War? Toshiba or Sony?

Sony since they hinged a VERY successful gaming division on BD. There's a very good chance the PS3 finishes third this generation because of the inclusion of a bd drive. Winning the next gen format war to replace DVD is far more profitable than losing a gaming generation.

I can't see you Onix but i can imagine you're sitting there with a HUGE smile on your face while doing all this posting lol.

According to the owner of Home Theater Forum who appears to have been an insider on this deal, WB was given $620 million (not sure if it's in cash or incentives or both) to go exclusive.

MechDX said:
I still dont get the whole "May 31st" thing. Why would you announce support until a certain date? What would even be the reasoning behind this?

Does WB actually think people will buy their movie on HD DVD if they know its basically dead?

I'm sure there is a signed contract about the Warner pack-in movies with that date on it.

Absinthe said:
According to the owner of Home Theater Forum who appears to have been an insider on this deal, WB was given $620 million (not sure if it's in cash or incentives or both) to go exclusive.

Wow at that number if true.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Absinthe said:

:0

Money well spent, Sony. And that's well over the figure that MS reportedly offered them (500 million, with a DD exclusivity clause).

Absinthe said:

whatever is takes...

Raistlin

michaeld said:
From the owner of hometheaterforum.com

I thought Sony didn't buy exclusives?

Wait ... you read that statement, and THAT is your response.

If anything, it states that Sony did NOT buy the exclusive (unless the implication is that the first line is in error). The decision was made based on Christmas sales ... EXACTLY like Warner said they would be. As for money Sony did pay, go read Toshiba's response. It was heavily hinted that there are some contractual issues (Warner is a member of HD-DVD's governing body) that are still to be paid. I would guess that Sony (and the BDA) are helping (or fully paying) any sort of penalties Warner is incurring.

* This was posted before the money revelation. Now I have no idea what happened :lol

Can someone clarify which statement was supposedly in error? Regardless, I could care less if the BDA did in fact pay for it.

Walshicus

Onix said:
Simple, your post was strictly referring to audio. Obviously there will be plenty of people that would like HD content as well.

While you happened to have been born in a time that allowed you to get all of your audio without the need to purchase physical media, the same is not true for people in terms of video ... specifically HD video.

I'm simply pointing out that your personal situation regarding audio is not reflective on people's situation regarding HD media.
Well as it happens I *do* disagree with you on HD movie downloads and the number of people who have access to the bandwidth to make it happen... but I still think you responded to an argument I wasn't making.

Raistlin

MechDX said:

They are already in progress, so why not release them?

VanMardigan said:
Guys, would this be more fun if Stooge, Kolgar, Main, and I went into a blind rage and posted pictures of us ripping a Ps3 to pieces whilst threatening to never buy a Warner Brothers movie ever again? Cause this is tame compared to what I'm seeing at AVS and HDD, and I'm thinking that the limiting factor is that, outside of fragula, the red team just isn't doing enough ranting and raving.

C'mon, the Blu regulars are not taunting, either. Don't blow up one or two random people into some sort of oppression.

Raistlin

Sir Fragula said:
Well as it happens I *do* disagree with you on HD movie downloads and the number of people who have access to the bandwidth to make it happen... but I still think you responded to an argument I wasn't making.

Then I guess you are simply disregarding known bandwidth data for current worldwide media purchasers, as well as disregarding the expected timeline for its increase.

Walshicus

distantmantra said:
Yes has released albums on Arista Records, which is owned by Sony-BMG.
They released one album - "Union" - at the start of the 90s through Arista. Arista's parent company BMG merged with Sony in... 2005 was it?

Replicant

Well as it happens I *do* disagree with you on HD movie downloads and the number of people who have access to the bandwidth to make it happen...

Most people do not have the hard drive capacity, the GB allowance (my bandwidth is capped to 20GB a month and there's no way I'd spend it on downloading 1 HD movie), nor the patience to wait for a 20GB movie to download (assuming my internet connection is not already disconnected by the provider at that point due to going over the download limit).

Walshicus

Onix said:
Then I guess you are simply disregarding known bandwidth data for current worldwide media purchasers, as well as disregarding the expected timeline for its increase.
Well, my line is being upgraded to 50mbps with no cap mid-next year for free from Virgin Media. They cover most of the UK and offer their top rate broadband with cable TV and a telephone package for a damn good price. Bandwidth is always going up. But whatever.

el Diablo

Banned
Onix said:

I'm with you brother, i'm not even sure how to react at this point lol. The blu-backer in me is happy with the announcement (i can't tell you how annoyed i was when paramount went HD-DVD, i won't even mention that it was a week before $%^&* Top Gun was released) but the HD movie fan in me is even happier since i know that a HD disc format actually has a legitimate chance of succeeding now.

Sad thing is that HD-DVD was just a speedbump for BD, DVD is the grand canyon heh.

Raistlin

Sir Fragula said:
Well, my line is being upgraded to 50mbps mid-next year for free from Virgin Media. They cover most of the UK and offer their top rate broadband with cable TV and a telephone package for a damn good price. Bandwidth is always going up. But whatever.

And what is happening where you live is representative of the rest of the world? You like in the UK ... its tiny. Things don't move that way in larger areas.

If you look at the number of DVD purchasers in the US versus people in the US that have even worst-case broadband (let alone use dial-up) ... its not even close.

DD will certainly do well in the future, but it will simply be an alternative. There is no realistic way it can completely supplant physical media. The infrastructure just won't be there for a long time (if ever).

Grimmy said:
Toshiba's response:

http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS230058+04-Jan-2008+PRN20080104

Toshiba's Comment on Announcement from Warner Bros. Entertainment of Its
Exclusive Support for Blu-ray Disc Format

TOKYO, Jan. 4 /PRNewswire/ -- Toshiba is quite surprised by Warner Bros.'
decision to abandon HD DVD in favor of Blu-ray, despite the fact that there
are various contracts in place between our companies concerning the support of
HD DVD. As central members of the DVD Forum, we have long maintained a close
partnership with Warner Bros. We worked closely together to help standardize
the first-generation DVD format as well as to define and shape HD DVD as its
next-generation successor.
We were particularly disappointed that this decision was made in spite of
the significant momentum HD DVD has gained in the US market as well as other
regions in 2007. HD DVD players and PCs have outsold Blu-ray in the US market
in 2007.

We will assess the potential impact of this announcement with the other HD
DVD partner companies and evaluate potential next steps. We remain firm in
our belief that HD DVD is the format best suited to the wants and needs of the
consumer.

To the very end!

Raistlin

el Diablo said:
I'm with you brother, i'm not even sure how to react at this point lol. The blu-backer in me is happy with the announcement (i can't tell you how annoyed i was when paramount went HD-DVD, i won't even mention that it was a week before $%^&* Top Gun was released) but the HD movie fan in me is even happier since i know that a HD disc format actually has a legitimate chance of succeeding now.

Sad thing is that HD-DVD was just a speedbump for BD, DVD is the grand canyon heh.

The funny thing is that I was actually about to break ... and was seriously considering an XA2 if nothing happened at CES. :lol

Snah

Banned
BotoxAgent said:
I get the feeling Snah is going to party tonight like it's 1999 :D

parkerdance5.gif

^^ Me right now.

Happy Blu-Year, indeed. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom