• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

YYZ

DVD is digital versatile disc I think.

No one says BD IRL, people say Blu-Ray. DVD is still loner to say than Blu-Ray so it works out well.

DVD was marketed as "D-V-D", Blu-Ray was marketed as "Blu-Ray" and that's they way it will stay.

HD-DVD is a fitting, but not as marketable.

Why are we talking about this? Because it's GAF and everyone here has their strange nitpicks.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
neptunes said:
I hope they can produce some cheap standalone Blu-ray players now. (i.e. $100-$150 cheap)

I can't see myself buying one unless it's in that price range.

This is my biggest problem right now. I really wish that a BD CE would just manufacture a 720p/1080i player (1.1 at least) and sell it for $199. I want to continue building my collection (on Blu now), but I really need another player for my 1080i CRT set.

mollipen

Opus Angelorum said:
In all honesty despite the divisions, each 'side' wanted High Definition to be the victor.

Yeah, this is the most important part.

Some of us wanted it to be Blu-ray, some of us wanted it to be HD-DVD. Thus, some of us are happy today, some aren't so much. The bigger point, though, is that with this move, we finally have hope that the format war won't drag on and on like it might have, and we can now hopefully have one format that can be strong and make real progression instead of two fighting over scraps.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
I won't be selling any of my HD-DVD's or my player but I am glad I just bought a PS3. Sadly I won't be buying any games for it.

YYZ said:
DVD is digital versatile disc I think.

No one says BD IRL, people say Blu-Ray. DVD is still loner to say than Blu-Ray so it works out well.

DVD was marketed as "D-V-D", Blu-Ray was marketed as "Blu-Ray" and that's they way it will stay.

HD-DVD is a fitting, but not as marketable.

Why are we talking about this? Because it's GAF and everyone here has their strange nitpicks.

I thought it was Doovide.

VanMardigan said:
This is my biggest problem right now. I really wish that a BD CE would just manufacture a 720p/1080i player (1.1 at least) and sell it for $199. I want to continue building my collection (on Blu now), but I really need another player for my 1080i CRT set.

Would it be unfair to suggest that Sony may wish to keep standalone players at a higher price initially to aid the marketing of the PS3 ?

SUPREME1

Banned
I'm going to go gonzo buying up HD DVDs...

I'll have a nice little nitche collection aside fro a larger Blu collection.

Ain't no way I concede.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
jmdajr said:
wow MS thanks for putting up a fight!

PATHETIC!

Well, they were outbid. I don't think I can blame them considering that this is really Toshiba's baby. MS' 360 add-on did a lot for HD DVD, but I think the inability of MS and Toshiba to settle on terms for an internal HD DVD solution for Xbox 360 was the deciding factor in this format war.

neptunes

Opus Angelorum said:
Would it be unfair to suggest that Sony may wish to keep standalone players at a higher price initially to aid the marketing of the PS3 ?
yes, such a scenario would be considered unfair and would slow down the format's adoption rate.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Darobga said:
70a7c64a.gif

Raistlin

OokieSpookie said:

:lol :lol :lol

Holy crap ... its finally over! I love that Warner specifically stated that the rational behind it is that two formats would likely kill HDM ... just as many of us have stated (and been yelled at for).

I'm scared to even got o AVS, ext. right now. Must be a frigging bloodbath.

snorggy

i'm personally quite disappointed by the lack of meltdowns and flying magazine racks around here considering some of the things people argued about here before.

all the same i'm glad everyone is on the same side now and can help push HD to the next level. YAY!

VanMardigan said:
I'm sitting here figuring out the best way for me to unload those as well. Fortunately, I don't have a ton of Warner HD DVD's. Happy Feet and 16 Blocks are already available on Blu, so I'd like to sell those first. Matrix and Batman Begins I might as well wait until I know their release date on Blu (which will be announced in a few days). 300 I think I'll hold on to until Warner re-releases it on Blu with the HD DVD stuff. That's it. Plus I have Planet Earth which is also available on Blu. I'll definitely look to switch that into Blu.

i have 18 red warner films.

i didn't know new line was owned by warner, some of my favorites (boogie nights, seven, magnolia, LOTR) are going to be blu exclusive. i think i'm going to go trade them in for cash.

the only one that's going to be a pain in the ass to wait for the blu version of is Batman begins; i watch that movie far too much. Although iirc there was a poster in this thread that said a few days ago that the blu version was getting a "special encode" or something like that, so it should look better on blu than hd-dvd.

i put so much money down on red, i'm not going to front it definitely sucks, but at the same time it IS good to see the war finally coming to an end. plus with blu being the victor, it looks like it isn't going to be too hard to talk my girlfriend into us getting a 1080p set, the perfect solution to my little problem.

Sir Fragula said:
Radio was.

Meh, I don't think morality has anything to do with something so trivial.
hey, you got a tag!

so what you're saying is that instead of buying a CD you've been taping all your music off a radio since 1985? and ever since digital downloads became a reality that's the way you've been procuring your music?

Raistlin

SRG01 said:
So... after the initial euphoria, here's the question: a lot of people were speculating that they would not announce until after CES or the conference call in February. Why so early?

The sooner the better. Lot's of people have gift cards from stores, etc. laying around. Waiting to announce just prolongs this splintering.

(or it leaked lol)

zesty said:
So when do I get Batman on BRD?

Based on the Warner presentation video someone posted a little while back, by the time CES is over it would seem.

Mmmkay said:
You see this is what I never really got with the Paramount/Dreamworks deal, it was an 'effective immediately' announcement, whereas this Warner one has a more conscientious lead time. Is this likely because Warner has an existing contractual obligation to HD DVD, or does it emphasise how much of an 11th hour saver the Para/DW one was for them?

I wouldn't be surprised if the negative publicity Paramount received was at least in their minds.

Regardless, Warner did previously hint that they wanted to see how Christmas-period HW/SW sales were ... and that they may make a decision based on that info. Obviously, they just received that info recently ... and it is likely that in the time leading up to it, they were still working on HD-DVD releases.

Probably felt there was no reason to just chuck them out. Might at well release the stuff that's in progress.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Hmm, so it will be Iron man on HD-DVD versus The Dark Knight on Blu-ray this year. wonder which will sell the most units.

Walshicus

bune duggy said:
hey, you got a tag!
Yeah, noticed that... thought the linked post was fairly reasonable.

so what you're saying is that instead of buying a CD you've been taping all your music off a radio since 1985? and ever since digital downloads became a reality that's the way you've been procuring your music?
Taping? No. I used to listen to a lot of [BBC] Radio 2. Owning music wasn't really a priority for me. I wasn't - and indeed I'm still not - really into the music industry all much. I've got a 10gb collection and half of that's stuff I never listen to.

Raistlin

Sir Fragula said:
Why the question marks? I don't buy Sony products and if this is all true then I've no desire to invest any money in to a format of theirs. I'll wait until the next generation of storage media.

Turns out it is true. Alas, can't win them all.

:lol

Yeah ... because BluRay is 'Sony's' format. If anything HD-DVD has ALWAYS been more proprietary. The BDA has always had more people involved.

I tend to agree with this guy from another board:

Not sure if it's been brought up, but it's disgusting that they've waited until after the huge holiday buying season to make an announcement like this. Many people have bought into the HD DVD format during this time. If they would have made the announcement before this time they could have maximized Blu-ray sales and minimized fallout from new HD DVD adopters. It's a very ****ty situation that they could have handled in a much better way.

I agree. I'm glad that an apparent victor is emerging, but they handled this in a completely shitty way. There were many, many HD DVD adopters that probably picked one up before Christmas and they just got toasted. They should have just announced this earlier and maximized Blu-Ray profits and sales.

terrene

Banned
Man I am so relieved. I was taking a gamble on Blu just based on industry reports and GAF chatter, really. Since I was going to get a PS3 anyway, and that's the only HD player I ever bought, my investment in HD movies has resulted in no squandering on impatient/impulsive spending. I feel really bad for people taking a hit on HD-DVD, man. Y'all's only crime was loving movies. :( Hope your holiday purchases aren't too full of regret. Awful timing. :(

I think Warner is being very clairvoyant in their prediction that a prolonged format war would negatively impact overall sales (in all three major formats) in the long term. Since going Blu was really the only way to kill it (as red would just result in a stalemate), I think they've done the industry a huge favor.

You can count my parents as one of the weird instances where Blu-Ray was a trojan horse for PS3. It's going to be very interesting to see how this all develops.

nerbo

Absinthe said:
I tend to agree with this guy from another board:

I agree. I'm glad that an apparent victor is emerging, but they handled this in a completely shitty way. There were many, many HD DVD adopters that probably picked one up before Christmas and they just got toasted. They should have just announced this earlier and maximized Blu-Ray profits and sales.

I agree as well. In fact, that very reasoning is why I felt that Warner would stay neutral and not pick a side. That said, it's hard to complain. Most of us who bought into HD discs in the last year knew what a clusterfuck it was and were fully aware that we could get burned by it.

Of course, fiscally, Warner did the smart thing. They'd already printed the media, so better to sit on the news and blow through as much of it as you can for as little of a loss as possible. Or, perhaps this news all came together very rapidly as they tallied up their November and December numbers... Who knows.

Chiggs

Gold Member
xS1TH L0RDx said:
how could you downlplay the importance of one of, if not THE best studio EVAR going blu-exclusives.

Really simple, actually. Be an idiot. Case in point:

This is not a win for Bluray, just a minor loss for HD-DVD. Unless a biggie like Paramount does a flip flop (I hope so), this will end with everyone owning dual format players, simple as that.

Sir Fragula said:
Yeah, noticed that... thought the linked post was fairly reasonable.
indeed.
Taping? No. I used to listen to a lot of [BBC] Radio 2. Owning music wasn't really a priority for me. I wasn't - and indeed I'm still not - really into the music industry all much. I've got a 10gb collection and half of that's stuff I never listen to.
huh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom