• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Ripclawe said:
http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/breakingnews/infotech/view_article.php?article_id=110708

Toshiba is now expected to further promote installation of HD-DVD drives in personal computers, targeting users who watch movies on their PCs, the Nikkei business daily said.

"The core of its turn-around plan is to capture those who watch DVDs on personal computers, a popular practice in the United States," the newspaper said.

They're not going down without a fight. (But they're still going down.)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
GauntletFan said:
3. I believe the Weinsteins are HD-DVD

Of those considered "major" there are 2.

Also, I don't think Toshiba has a turn-around plan or marketing message for HD-DVD right now. The Nikkei probably just saw the HD-DVD laptops Toshiba are showing at CES.

LM4sure

Banned
I can't believe Hd-dvd will lose. This saddens me very much. I still will not buy a bluray player. I will stick to dvd. It is good enough.

LM4sure said:
I can't believe Hd-dvd will lose. This saddens me very much. I still will not buy a bluray player. I will stick to dvd. It is good enough.

You should open up the youtube link in the last page. It's the official swan-song for HD DVD.

I've always though HD-DVD would die but I bought one anyway since it was cheap and came with 7 free HD-DVDs . . . it will always be able to play my HD-DVD discs. I'm looking forward to some fire-sale discounts on HD-DVDs.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
LM4sure said:
Was going to write something, but then I saw your tag.

Brofist

LM4sure said:

Don't worry, I'll watch plenty of blu-ray movies for you soldier.

B-Ri

oh nozzzz blu-ray winsssss this suxor.

Im just gonna twist the knife cause im REALLY tired of reading these posts.

Blu-Ray was doing more then fine without the hd-dvd camp, little to no loss then if you dont want to watch hd on hopefully the de facto standard.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
any new combo players shown? i want brd now, but want to keep my 50 hddvd's. 1 player = less confused gf.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
btf1980 said:
What's your measure of the superiority of vinyl compared to SACD, DVD-A and even redbook, plain jane vanilla CD's? Can you explain it to me with facts? For all my years on Audiogon, AVS etc. Not one of the "golden eared" folk has done this with anything factual. It's pure subjective opinion and posturing to validate their expenses. It always ends up in how they "feel" the music, whatever that means. It's complete rubbish.

Sure many "audiophiles" go on and spout that vinyl is better because it's "warmer", "richer" etc. But all this is subjective to say the least, and is more affected by the kind of hardware/speakers you are using more than anything. It's one thing to prefer the sound of vinyl, some people do, it's another to say it is superior as a factual statement. It's not. The primary reason that vinyl proponents said it was better than the CD was because it can hit lower frequencies is a myth. It's irrelevant if it is true since the human ear cannot detect frequencies lower than anything CD's can hit. It's not perceptable to the human ear. It's one of the biggest misconceptions many so called "audiophiles" regurgitate, and most of them don't even know why, it's just one of those things. It's right up there with thousand dollar speaker cables.

There is nothing inferior about SACD, DVD-A and CD's compared to vinyl.

Before I answer your question let me first ask you one:

After playing back the same track on good quality Hi-Fi for both vinyl and CD, have you ever heard someone proclaim they preferred the CD?

Excatly.

I worked in Hi-Fi for years and own a very nice set up for both CD and vinyl and can state that vinyl wins hand down. I used to demo the differences to customers and 9/10 would state that they preferred the record, even when played back on a uch more expensive CD set-up over the vinyl.

The problem with the digital medium is that it takes the original signal and samples it, which takes away something from the sound no matter how big the sample.

Vinyl is analog and thusly gives you 100% of the pie.

Sure, vinyl isn't perfect (what is?) but there's a reason it sounds so natural and organic.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Just finished watching the Special Edition of CE3K, which I haven't seen since the VHS release, and Spielberg is naturally right for hating that version.

But, Close Encounters does have my second favorite moment in any Spielberg movie (right before Roy goes into the mothership and looks over is shoulder a Williams slips in "When you wish upon a star"), so it's fantastic to have the movie (all three versions) in HD.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Best Buy has Deliverance, MOTPenguins and Corpse Bride on sale for $14.99 at brick and mortar stores, btw.

Some others too but they're all shit.

Wow -- Target is going Blu-ray exclusive according to Stewart. That's something.

It is meaningful, but it does not change the fact that Target is by far the worst place to buy HD media in all of america.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Witchfinder General said:
Vinyl is analog and thusly gives you 100% of the pie.

Sure, vinyl isn't perfect (what is?) but there's a reason it sounds so natural and organic.
I know vinyl sounds great, but you need a super setup to get the most out of it.

I listened to a super vinyl set up at a high end audio store (the kind of place where they sell $50,000+ speakers) and was blown away.

Great for stereo sound.

Almost nobody has those kinds of setups though.
And the vinyl dies a little bit each time it's played. Won't last.

NeoBreaking GAFaton: Target stores going Blu-ray Exclusive?

Remember the rumor from 7/26/07 that said Target stores were going Blu-ray exclusive. That rumore was quickly shot down back in July...

Guess who's back?

According to Philips' Stewart Muller, at Philips' CES CES press event, (as being covered by Engadget live right now) it's happening.

Target is going Blu-ray exclusive according to Stewart. That's something.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/06/live-coverage-from-the-philips-press-event/

Assuming this is true, I wonder how many other retailers are going to start doing the same. It'll be really hard to coax customers into buying HD DVD over Blu-ray now, so why bother trying?

B-Ri

Stinkles said:
Best Buy has Deliverance, MOTPenguins and Corpse Bride on sale for $14.99 at brick and mortar stores, btw.

It is meaningful, but it does not change the fact that Target is by far the worst place to buy HD media in all of america.

why is that? besides the very irregular stocking patterns they ahve in stores (i ususally need to go ALL over the place to find new blu-ray releases, because they arent on the blu-ray section), they have some of the fairest prices.

Snah

Banned
Pristine_Condition said:
NeoBreaking: Target stores going Blu-ray Exclusive?

Remember the rumor from 7/26/07 that said Target stores were going Blu-ray exclusive. That rumore was quickly shot down back in July...

Guess who's back?

According to Philips' Stewart Muller, at Philips' CES CES press event, (as being covered by Engadget live right now) it's happening.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/06/live-coverage-from-the-philips-press-event/

Assuming this is true, I wonder how many other retailers are going to start doing the same. It'll be really hard to coax customers into buying HD DVD over Blu-ray now, so why bother trying?

I wouldn't be surprised to see Best Buy follow.

At this point, retailer confidence in HD-DVD has to be extremely low.

Stinkles said:

Blood Diamond, Million Dollar Baby, and A Scanner Darkly are all shit? :lol :lol

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
xS1TH L0RDx said:
Blood Diamond, Million Dollar Baby, and A Scanner Darkly are all shit? :lol :lol

One of those is and the other two were MIA from my Best Buy.

B-Ri said:
why is that? besides the very irregular stocking patterns they ahve in stores (i ususally need to go ALL over the place to find new blu-ray releases, because they arent on the blu-ray section), they have some of the fairest prices.

They always have a crappy selection, they never have sales and the whole media dept at Target is always a wasteland. Insult to injury, they are invariably near a Best buy with a better and often cheaper selection.

Bricks and mortar is a bad way to buy media, but Target fails hard in this dept.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
dallow_bg said:
I know vinyl sounds great, but you need a super setup to get the most out of it.

I listened to a super vinyl set up at a high end audio store (the kind of place where they sell $50,000+ speakers) and was blown away.

Great for stereo sound.

Almost nobody has those kinds of setups though.
And the vinyl dies a little bit each time it's played. Won't last.

Nope, a $1000 set-up will sound fantastic.

LOL @ being beaten to the punch by Millhouse31...

Anyway, the Target news is significant because now they'll at least have twice the space to stock more Blu-ray discs. And shelf space at retailers like Target and Wal-mart are what's going to get the prices at B&M shops down to Amazon's levels, which are by-and-large fair prices (except for Fox's overpriced offerings).

bill0527

Not surprised about the Target news at all, just going by the 2 local stores in town.

Both had the Sony BDP-S300 Blu Ray player on a prominent end cap display all during the holiday season, and in the movie section, its about 75/25 Blu to Red. They don't even carry the Xbox 360 HD-DVD add-on anymore.

bill0527 said:
Not surprised about the Target news at all, just going by the 2 local stores in town.

Both had the Sony BDP-S300 Blu Ray player on a prominent end cap display all during the holiday season, and in the movie section, its about 75/25 Blu to Red. They don't even carry the Xbox 360 HD-DVD add-on anymore.

My target has a fuckton of 360 add-ons, but i've never seen a stand-alone on display there. Like yours, my target is about 75/25 blue/red though. And this holiday blu was usually picked over quite a bit..

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Target had a deal where they basically only promoted BD standalones, right? That's why you never saw HD-DVD players there (minus the 360 add on).

XMonkey said:
Target had a deal where they basically only promoted BD standalones, right? That's why you never saw HD-DVD players there (minus the 360 add on).

Only in-store, IIRC. They still carried HD DVD players online. Plus, they still carried the discs in-store.

Big-E

What does internal decoding mean? Does that mean you don't need to hook up the player to a receiver? You can just connect it to speakers?

Big-E said:
What does internal decoding mean? Does that mean you don't need to hook up the player to a receiver? You can just connect it to speakers?

What? No. It means, you don't need a receiver with the decoders. It means any receiver with HDMI audio capabilities will allow you to listen to the full bitrate audio track.

cjdunn

surazal said:
It's only the first day of CES. :lol

dominoes.jpg

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Big-E said:

No need to splash out on a Onkyo amp to get TrueHD soundtrack.

djkimothy

http://gizmodo.com/341084/samsungs-4th+gen-bd+p1500-blu+ray-player-is-announced

BD-P1500.jpg

BD-P1500 - Fourth-generation Blu-ray Player As the first company to introduce a stand-alone Blu-ray player, Samsung reinforces its support of the Blu-ray format with the Full HD BD-P1500. An ideal player for anyone who enjoys Blu-ray, DVDs or CDs in their home, this groundbreaking model takes the home viewing experience to the next step and accommodates all of these formats in one unit. What's more, it can upconvert standard DVDs to 720p, 1080i and 1080p resolutions and offers Full HD video playback capabilities for a crystal-clear picture.

Designed with fans of multimedia technology in mind, the BD-P1500 easily connects to other digital peripherals through an HDMI 1.3 port with CEC for expanded color delivery and easy home theater control. With its built-in Ethernet connection, users can quickly take advantage of BD Profile 1.1 interactivity and download the latest firmware upgrades and more with just a click of a button. Making firmware upgrades simple and easy, Samsung allows consumers to continually upgrade their BD-P1500 with the latest features.

True audiophiles will love the BD-P1500 as it goes beyond standard Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital Plus audio playback to include 7.1 PCM, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD High Resolution and Master Audio, Bitstream audio output via HDMI and more--making for a truly immersive viewing experience for movies, gaming, sports and more.

The BD-P1500 will be available in June 2008.

nubbe

It would be kinda interesting if someone released a cheaper player which only dose Bluray playback.
I'm not planing to buy anymore DVD's now and I have not used CD's for music for some time.

Midas

I love the looks of the Samsung one. I love gadgets, I'm definitely getting a stand alone Blu-ray player after I've bought a new TV. When that will happen is a whole other story though. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom