• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ponn01 said:
This thread is starting to scrape the bottom.

It's very reminiscent of just after the paramount announcement, when a lot of non-regulars came is to troll. I imagine it'll get back to normal in a week or so.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
Is the 20 gb PS3 really that much quieter than the 60 gb? I'm trying to figure out which to buy for a blu-ray player. I finally ordered my first HDM movies off of Amazon yesterday. HP 1-4 for $40. :D

Ignatz Mouse said:
It's very reminiscent of just after the paramount announcement, when a lot of non-regulars came is to troll. I imagine it'll get back to normal in a week or so.
here's hoping. trying to find information in here right now is horrible.

high def stuff WILL probably remain niche for a long time, but just like Laserdisc i'm betting it'll be a healthy niche that makes AV enthusiasts VERY happy. laserdisc wasn't a failure. it was a successful secondary market until something came along that made EVERYONE happy in DVD.

there's a long way to go before it gets main stream acceptance... but it doesn't need it. furthermore, i'm betting that blu-ray eclipses Laserdisc.

anyone insulting laserdisc wasn't there at the time. laserdisc releases were far superior to vhs releases, and i'm glad i didn't have to wait the ten years to get a worthy version of The Thing, Alien and Aliens (and others) if i'd not embraced it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
madara said:
So has Warner announced those HD only titles for BR yet? From some crazy deals I got Batman Begins, Heroes, Ultimate Matrix and Smallville. Trying figure out what I am going do with them.

there were some annoucements of Warner movies for 1H. I don't think any are BR only, but they are timed exclusives. My assumption is that contractual obligations means that Warner has to release all HD titles on HDDVD, but it doesn't specify *when*, therefore giving bluray a window of exclusivity until May is the best they can do until going completely blu.

I didn't see any announcements of their big missing blu titles like Matrix etc, hopefully they'll roll them out 1H, but maybe they have to wait until the Toshiba contract expires in May?

Laurent

DJ_Tet said:
That's exactly my point. There's likely NEVER going to be another physical music format, and CD will likely continue to ALWAYS be produced. Super CDs never caught on despite it's audio advantage. CDs offerent the portability, lack of copy protection ultimately that gave the consumer ultimate control over it's content. They may not sell like they used to, but they still sell a ton. So do dvds. And likely will for a LONG time.

Blu could have stopped that with a little foresight, but potentially it's only going to be a living room/computer format. I don't see it killing DVD.
640Kb is enough RAM for anybody...

DJ_Tet

Banned
Laurent said:
640Kb is enough RAM for anybody...

Now if I said that Blu would never replace DVD drives on the PC, you might have a point. But only a moron would say that, Blu most definitely will be the next writeable media drive in my pc, and I couldn't be happier about it :D

As far as the Potter movies being $18.98 in Walmart on Blu, that's awesome news and I would love for Blu to eventually sell for what new dvds currently do sell. By that same token, everyone on this thread could have gotten them for $10 apiece, that's even better news. So as of right now, I'm dead wrong about the pricing, I buy media I understand that. I just think the studios want these discs selling for a little more than DVDs. Whether or not the market allows that we'll see. Including a DVD copy of the movie with the Blu disc would accomplish what I was talking about earlier, as well. Too bad it will never happen.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
im trying to join team blu, but cant find the sammy hybrid player anywhere... it sends dts-hd as pcm... very cool. and has the same upconverter as my hd-ax2.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
plagiarize said:
it was a successful secondary market until something came along that made EVERYONE happy in DVD.

there's a long way to go before it gets main stream acceptance... but it doesn't need it. furthermore, i'm betting that blu-ray eclipses Laserdisc.

anyone insulting laserdisc wasn't there at the time. laserdisc releases were far superior to vhs releases, and i'm glad i didn't have to wait the ten years to get a worthy version of The Thing, Alien and Aliens (and others) if i'd not embraced it.
this entire post misses the point on WHY laserdisc was a niche.

Every movie needed a side change, and any movie over 2 hours needed a disc change.

The movies were expensive. However, it wasn't such a case where blu-ray or HD-DVD are expensive because of new manufacturing processes, but where the aluminum platters and plastic used for a .75lb disc could only see costs drop so much, and again, a movie longer than 2 hours needed an entire 2nd disc included in the package.

They were album sized packages. In the 90's, everything was small. CD longboxes were finally gotten rid of, game packages were the same size roughly as VHS, CDs were smaller. Even DVDs were made sure to be kept smaller than VHS. Then you have laserdisc which requires either a 1'x1' face area to display, or the inconvenience of a 1'x1' deep display area where they get no facing.

Most of the other stuff is chicken and egg (aka had the numbers been there, things like more players, cheaper player prices, etc would have come). But those three factors alone made laserdisc quite a bit more inconvenient for the end-user, and a much bigger hassle for the retailer. Combie that with the fact that it was already an established technology that was a niche for almost 10 years by the time the 90's rolled around, and well that's that.

HDM will never be the niche that laserdisc was. Even at it's outset it already has players that are both actually and relatively cheaper than laserdisc players were at their peak in popularity, and already movies are being sold typically for less than the $35+ that you average LD release was, again both actually and relatively adjusting for inflation.

And of course none of this is knocking on laserdisc. I STILL haven't given up my Star Wars Definitive Collection that I dropped $200 for. One columnist once said, if HDM gets to the status of laserdisc, that is actually an achievement, not a criticism. But no... in this case, BRD replacing DVD isn't an if (any longer), but a when. Note that it might never end up being the DOMINANT way that we watch movies, if digital downloads end up outpacing BRD... but at some point over the next few years, BD sales will eclipse DVD. With only one format there is absolutel nothing out there from stopping this.

I mean look at it this way, eventually minimum cost of manufacture will come into play and it will be just as expensive to make a DVD player as a blu-ray player, or press a BRD as it is to press a DVD. Eventually people will move over because it will cost almost the same price. The question is will this happen before DD's take off in a major way.

RaidenZR

plagiarize said:
high def stuff WILL probably remain niche for a long time, but just like Laserdisc i'm betting it'll be a healthy niche that makes AV enthusiasts VERY happy. laserdisc wasn't a failure. it was a successful secondary market until something came along that made EVERYONE happy in DVD.

You're selling HD Disc Media too short too early.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Warner has in effect and some would say prematurely killed HD DVD in the process alienating a good chunk of some 800k early adopters.

However business is business and that is a risk we all took as early adopters but not everyone is gonna make switch right away.

The point of entry for HDM has now gone from $200 to $400 (not counting profile 1.0)

For those of you that subscribed to the notion that dual formats were stalling the adoption rate. Now that for all intents and purposes we have 1 format when will we see the adoption rate take off?

One last thing will the ps3 be updateable to 2.0? I was gonna go with a dual format player but this a cheaper albeit more cumbersome solution .

DJ_Tet

Banned
Onix said:
What? :lol

Well, think about it this way. Imagine the infrastructure we have for DVD right now, and it's still growing. DVD drives go into the world constantly. Can Blu take the place for every drive out there? Yeah, it's possible, some would say probable. It will take time, obviously.

But DVD offers another flexibility besides being able to be played on every visual optical drive out there, save for Laserdisc, but INCLUDING Blu Ray drives. That is, it's relatively easy for you to take your DVD, and copy it to your HD, resize it and stick it on your ipod or psp or other portable movie player.

It doesn't look like Blu will ever do that as easily. That's why people will always continue to buy CDs, there is no copy protection, you can do whatever you want with the content you bought. That's a great deal for the consumer. DVD offers that same type of flexibility, and Blu likely never will.

It's all about money, and the switch from DVD to Blu will be looked at as a way to make money from the studios, and a chance to fix the problems they have with DVD.

avaya

Days like these... said:
Warner has in effect and some would say prematurely killed HD DVD in the process alienating a good chunk of some 800k early adopters.

However business is business and that is a risk we all took as early adopters but not everyone is gonna make switch right away.

The point of entry for HDM has now gone from $200 to $400 (not counting profile 1.0)

For those of you that subscribed to the notion that dual formats were stalling the adoption rate. Now that for all intents and purposes we have 1 format when will we see the adoption rate take off?

One last thing will the ps3 be updateable to 2.0? I was gonna go with a dual format player but this a cheaper albeit more cumbersome solution .

PS3 is already effectively 2.0 since 1.1 to 2.0 requires persistent storage (HDD) and net access (which it has)

Days like these... said:

Better 800k now than twice that a year from now, besides that number is vastly misleading because many of those are people who bought multiple players because of the price and many were also purple.
The adoption rate depends on how long Toshiba continues its monty python black knight routine pretending that everything is fine.

As far as 2.0 the ps3 is already capable and will just need an update which will come when stand alones are available to match and before software is released using it.

DJ_Tet said:
DVD offers a flexibility and pricepoint that Blu likely never will. That won't matter to me or us who love HDM, but there will be some who will choose to buy $5-$10 dvds and upscale them on their beautiful HDTV while still being able to play them in their kids bedroom, the car dvd 7 inch screen (where Blu's visual/audio difference won't matter) and save $10-$20 per movie.

You won't see Blu in Walmart for under $20 for a long time, if ever if the studios have their way, therefore DVD will always have that price advantage, plus the already existing infrastrucre advantage.

Nothing will kill CDs at this point, and it got so bad in that market that SACD is basically dead. MP3's also will not kill CDs. Can Blu kill DVD? It doesn't have to. I'm just hoping it can sell big enough not to be a niche market. As long as I can get every movie in HD I'll be happy.

I can envision a future where I don't, though. And it won't be digital downloads that keeps that from happening, it will be the monster that is DVD.
so the $18.96 I paid for the first 4 HP movies was all a dream. I see.

Nicodimas

Banned
The adoption rate depends on how long Toshiba continues its monty python black knight routine pretending that everything is fine.

1) All toshiba would have to do is get it Universal/Parmount just to release only combo disks hd-dvd/dvd for all there movies at **dvd MSRP** to utterly end this war. This would force retailers to carry there disks and players.

2) Release 99 dollar players.

You would have a tons of advertisement as every disk sold would contain a reason to upgrade in a pamplet.

Five million disks have been sold from both HD formats total is what I have read several times.

8 million transformer Dvd sold in One week:
http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/10/22/transformers-hd-dvd-sets-new-high-definition-sales-records/
Those 99/1 charts sure would bring all the studios over.

Amazing how this shows how niche this market truly is.

It baffles me they have not tried this. Probably illegal. Try to argue the logic of how much market pentration it would have that way. J6P would adopt this very quick. This is the only course of action left to Toshiba to get into a slugging match now. Unless they get fox.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Nicodimas said:
*far fetched idea*

Still trying to figure out some way for HD-DVD to win huh?
The sooner you come to terms, the better off you will be

Just noticed the tag :lol
But please, continue posting your ideas, they are quite entertaining.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Nicodimas said:
1) All toshiba would have to do is get it Universal/Parmount just to release only combo disks hd-dvd/dvd for all there movies at **dvd MSRP** to utterly end this war. This would force retailers to carry there disks and players.

The money to be creamed off DVD is so low already now, that I doubt any studio would want their revenue per disk further diminished by adding the cost of HD-DVD version on the other side for the sake of a small minority of users.

Toshiba could subsidise it to hide the studios from that, but it would be a huge cost to them.

It would also somewhat take away one point of attraction of HD media for studios - the chance to sell disks at a higher premium again, as they once did with DVD. If you skip that part of the cycle, the attraction is diminished.

OokieSpookie said:

They just finished their dress rehearsal on the Microsoft stage. From the sounds of it, it's business as usual.

Nicodimas said:

2) Release 99 dollar players.

You would have a tons of advertisement as every disk sold would contain a reason to upgrade in a pamplet.

Five million disks have been sold from both HD formats total is what I have read several times.

8 million transformer Dvd sold in One week:
http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/10/22/transformers-hd-dvd-sets-new-high-definition-sales-records/
Those 99/1 charts sure would bring all the studios over.

Amazing how this shows how niche this market truly is.

It baffles me they have not tried this. Probably illegal. Try to argue the logic of how much market pentration it would have that way. J6P would adopt this very quick. This is the only course of action left to Toshiba to get into a slugging match now. Unless they get fox.

TRUTH.jpg

I needed a worthy post to post this image.

Forsete

Basically, all Toshiba has to do right now in order to WIN THIS THAAANG is to release players at a 99USB payout, aka they pay YOU to buy the player. Isnt that awesome?

Toshiba should hire my ass.

I think Toshiba is willing to go bankrupt over this.

Nicodimas

Banned
But please, continue posting your ideas, they are quite entertaining.

You can try to explain my reasoning away. It makes perfect sense for toshiba now with its back against the wall. Trying to convince two studios as this is the best course action would not be to hard with a minimal investment strategy this would be a great advertisement strategy.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Battlezone said:
They just finished their dress rehearsal on the Microsoft stage. From the sounds of it, it's business as usual.

Microsoft has Toshiba talking HD-DVD during the MS conference? :/

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Forsete said:
Basically, all Toshiba has to do right now in order to WIN THIS THAAANG is to release players at a 99USB payout, aka they pay YOU to buy the player. Isnt that awesome?

Toshiba should hire my ass.

I think Toshiba is willing to go bankrupt over this.

I like your sarcastic style :D

fse

Nicodimas said:
You can try to explain my reasoning away. It makes perfect sense for toshiba now with its back against the wall. Trying to convince two studios as this is the best course action would not be to hard with a minimal investment strategy this would be a great advertisement strategy.

the combo disks idea sounds ok. if i was them i'd do it.

Lo-Volt

LunaticPuma said:
Is the 20 gb PS3 really that much quieter than the 60 gb? I'm trying to figure out which to buy for a blu-ray player. I finally ordered my first HDM movies off of Amazon yesterday. HP 1-4 for $40. :D

The 20? Or did you mean the recently released 40GB model? I'd hazard a guess that the 20 and 60 models are about the same, but I remember hearing anecdotes that the 40GB model (apparently, it uses a smaller chip than its older siblings) is quieter?

jjasper

I really think the ultimate thing that pushed Warner was the Blu Ray standalones outselling HD DVD ones. Toshiba really blew it this holiday and I personally think it all had to do with advertising. Every time I sat down and watched TV I saw either an I do Blu commerical or a PS3 Blu Ray commerical. Every magazine I opened I saw the I do Blu ads. I saw them when I went to movies during the previews. Yet I never saw a single ad for HD DVD and apparently no one else did either.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Battlezone said:
No, at the theater in the Microsoft booth. I'm in the convention center. The keynote is over at the Sands, I believe.

Cheers. Do they have someone there to promote it, or is a video reel in theatre, or..?

jjasper said:
Toshiba really blew it this holiday and I personally think it all had to do with advertising.

according to toshiba's conference that's being liveblogged on engadget, toshiba sold about a million standalones in q4.

I'm not arguing with you, i'm just kinda playing devil's advocate and wondering what you and the rest of the regulars that know way more about this shit than me (i view the thread quite a bit, however i don't post that much) would say.

Nicodimas said:

Except Toshiba does not have that power and they can not make that choice.
The studios make those decisions and they are loading their women and children up as we speak.

Nicodimas said:

A great strategy to go broke!

Toshiba: Hi Paramount and Universal, will you make all DVD releases combos?

Para/Uni: But there's no artwork, won't the masses be confused. They may pop in the wrong side and when the movie doesn't play, they will try and return it.
Imagine the misplaced discs at Blockbuster or Netflix as well.

Toshiba: Oh! That's not a big deal!

Para/Uni: But the HD DVD fans have been very vocal about how the Combo discs can fail to load because the glue used to attach both discs can interfere with the laser. Those 1000 complaints will become a million.

Para/Uni: Seems like a huge gamble that will piss off people who may avoid the release altogether if they're remotely aware of the Warner switch. That would mean millions in lost revenues and a complete mess at retail outlets.

Toshiba: AVENGE ME!!!!

gofreak said:
Cheers. Do they have someone there to promote it, or is a video reel in theatre, or..?

I didn't see who was doing the presentation, because I'm upstairs right behind the theater wall. But they do have a couple of stations here in the booth, as does as the HD DVD promotional group.

jjasper

xS1TH L0RDx said:
according to toshiba's conference that's being liveblogged on engadget, toshiba sold about a million standalones in q4.

I'm not arguing with you, i'm just kinda playing devil's advocate and wondering what you and the rest of the regulars that know way more about this shit than me (i view the thread quite a bit, however i don't post that much) would say.

Because multiple sources have stated Blu Ray stand alones outsold HDDVD ones and there was no advertising for HD DVD. I am just assuming HD DVD could have done better with ads.

Nicodimas

Banned
A great strategy to go broke!

Toshiba: Hi Paramount and Universal, will you make all DVD releases combos?

Para/Uni: But there's no artwork, won't the masses be confused. They may pop in the wrong side and when the movie doesn't play, they will try and return it.
Imagine the misplaced discs at Blockbuster or Netflix as well.

Para/Uni: But the HD DVD fans have been very vocal about how the Combo discs can fail to load because the glue used to attach both discs can interfere with the laser. Those 1000 complaints will become a million.

Para/Uni: Seems like a huge gamble that will piss off people who may avoid the release altogether if they're remotely aware of the Warner switch. That would mean millions in lost revenues and a complete mess at retail outlets.

Toshiba: AVENGE ME!!!!

Omg..now that is some funny stuff. Did you pull point 2 completely out of your ass.
:lol

jjasper said:
Because multiple sources have stated Blu Ray stand alones outsold HDDVD ones and there was no advertising for HD DVD. I am just assuming HD DVD could have done better with ads.

It'll be interesting to see the official numbers. blu standalones outselling red standalones PLUS the NPD figures for the playstation 3 will probably be phenominal for blu.

On a side note, today's best buy ad features a handful of WB hd-dvds AND blu-rays for 14.99, don't remember which ones but superman returns and a scanner darkly stuck out.

Could it be possible best buy is lowering the price of the warners just to get rid of their red stock, and figured they couldn't fuck blu out of the deal either?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Battlezone said:
I didn't see who was doing the presentation, because I'm upstairs right behind the theater wall. But they do have a couple of stations here in the booth, as does as the HD DVD promotional group.

Thanks for the info, it'll be interesting to see what comes out of the show and keynotes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom