• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Salmonax said:
Off-topic, but am I the only one who thinks the "bububu" meme should be the next to go around here?

Really off-topic, but am I the only one who thinks the "off-topic, but am the only who thinks the ___meme should be next to go around here?" meme should be the next to go around here?

Forsete

OokieSpookie said:
Hopefully universal and paramount have more common sense than Toshiba.

Insider2000 aka. Penton-Man (should be a banned meme LOLZ like someone said in this thread) was hinting at Uni going neutral.

Luckyman

Banned
http://gizmodo.com/341216/toshiba-press-conference-liveblog
President guy onstage: "We are surprised by Warner Bros. announcement" that they're dropping HD DVD and are "particularly disappointed" since HD DVD has gained "momentum" in the market. "We maintain the belief that HD DVD" is best for consumers. Sounds just like the press release!

VP of Digital A/V Marketing: "As you can imagine this is a tough day for me... I expected to come here today to share the successes of HD DVD..." "It's difficult for me to read all the pundits declare that HD DVD is dead, but we've been declared dead before." "HD DVD is the only format approved by the DVD Forum" so every one meets a standard. Translation: Blu-ray profile spec is a clusterf*ck. She looks like she's trying to not break down onstage or something. Stay strong!

:lol

RumpledForeskin said:
Really off-topic, but am I the only one who thinks the "off-topic, but am the only who thinks the ___meme should be next to go around here?" meme should be the next to go around here?

Whoa.

I do hate the bu-bu-but meme, though.

indie85

Banned
CSSer said:
Taken from Engadget's live coverage
p1070010_small.jpg

Guessing this is the standalone players pie chart?
So confirmed, HD DVD standalone players got outsold even by standalone blu ray players then.

Kolgar

Luckyman said:

Jesus Christ, why is that funny? She's a human being--a person--who has worked hard for her company. And she and her cause have just been dealt a lethal blow. Now she has to face the world with a stiff upper lip and try to just make it through that press conference with her dignity and pride intact.

And you're laughing.

Fuck, what's the matter with you?

But I guess here we all are, fighting and spitting on each other over pieces of PLASTIC, and of course whether we buy our movies in red cases or blue cases is far more important than having compassion for our fellow man.

Flo_Evans

Kolgar said:
Jesus Christ, why is that funny? She's a human being--a person--who has worked hard for her company. And she and her cause have just been dealt a lethal blow. Now she has to face the world with a stiff upper lip and try to just make it through that press conference with her dignity and pride intact.

And you're laughing.

But I guess here we all are, fighting and spitting on each other over pieces of PLASTIC, and of course whether we buy our movies in red cases or blue cases is far more important than having compassion for our fellow man.

yeah I really toss and turn at night worrying about the tender feelings of corporate mouthpieces! :lol

CSSer said:
Taken from Engadget's live coverage
p1070010_small.jpg

Guessing this is the standalone players pie chart?

That's quite sad for Toshiba. Samsung and Sony Blu-ray players nearly caught them despite the huge price advantage and the PS3 stealing away a lot of sales from the set top Blu-rays.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Kolgar said:

And you're laughing.

I think the real question is, why do you care so much? :lol

Kolgar

indie85 said:
So confirmed, HD DVD standalone players got outsold even by standalone blu ray players then.

Then that's good enough for me. A convincing win by Blu-ray in any terms.

That still doesn't mean I don't feel for the people who've been jolted hardest by this format war.

chubigans said:
I think the real question is, why do you care so much? :lol

Because they're people and things like this mean jobs are lost and lives changed? Just because we're on a game forum doesn't mean we can't show some compassion and class.

djkimothy

Despite the dancing on the Toshiba grave.

Does anyone have any news from CES of any new HDTVs, etc? I just wanted to know the current landscape and if the companies are releasing new models. Is there a thread for this?

Kolgar

djkimothy said:
Despite the dancing on the Toshiba grave.

Does anyone have any news from CES of any new HDTVs, etc? I just wanted to know the current landscape and if the companies are releasing new models. Is there a thread for this?

Try Engadget or the other tech sites like Gizmodo. I think LG and Tosh have both discussed new sets at their press events, I'm sure there's more to come.

I skimmed some news just now and got the feeling RPTVs are dying out fast and LCD is coming on strong, even compared to less expensive Plasmas.

painey said:
why is this still not HD-DVD v Blu-Ray thread title?
I guess because there is no longer any such thing as "HD-DVD vs Blu-ray", at least not in any meaningful way. HD-DVD exponents at this point are like the 90 year-old Japanese solders they occasionally find holed up deep in the jungles of the far east with no knowledge that WWII has been over for decades.

djkimothy

Kolgar said:
Try Engadget or the other tech sites like Gizmodo. I think LG and Tosh have both discussed new sets at their press events, I'm sure there's more to come.

I skimmed some news just now and got the feeling RPTVs are dying out fast and LCD is coming on strong, even compared to less expensive Plasmas.

Yah, my anecdotal experience has told me people want LCDs. They like the idea of thinner TVs.

I've checked out Gizmodo and Cnet so hopefully the news comes rolling. It appears Sharp and Sony hasn't announced anything?

I wonder if this qualifies for a Paramount loophole in the contract? You know like "If HD-DVD's world caves in, we get to sever all remaining ties"

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Gary Whitta said:
I guess because there is no longer any such thing as "HD-DVD vs Blu-ray", at least not in any meaningful way. HD-DVD exponents at this point are like the 90 year-old Japanese solders they occasionally find holed up deep in the jungles of the far east with no knowledge that WWII has been over for decades.
My goodness. :lol

bill0527

Gary Whitta said:

:lol :lol :lol

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
f_elz said:
should i return my harry potter movies for their br versions? 1-5?

They are unopened?
If so, yeah i'd exchange them.

If they are opened, stores will likely not exchange them for you.
Then, you have to decide whether you want to keep around a HD-DVD player for those movies, or sell them and probably not get what you paid.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
give toshiba time, they are looking for a way out of this, but until a decision is made, their public face must maintain status quo.

xsarien

daedsiluap
StoOgE said:
give toshiba time, they are looking for a way out of this, but until a decision is made, their public face must maintain status quo.

Exactly what way out of it do they have outside of the door marked "Exit?" There are only two studios supporting HD-DVD, the rest went Blu-Ray. If they're truly looking out for the interests of the consumer, then they'll just end the battle so people can wake up in the morning without worrying if they now own this decade's Betamax player.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
xsarien said:
Exactly what way out of it do they have outside of the door marked "Exit?" There are only two studios supporting HD-DVD, the rest went Blu-Ray. If they're truly looking out for the interests of the consumer, then they'll just end the battle so people can wake up in the morning without worrying if they now own this decade's Betamax player.

they have production lines, systems in wharehouses, etc. big companies dont move that nimbly... i would assume they will try and get some consideration from the brd group to end the war. even if they throw in the towel, that will take a few weeks.

Costanza

Banned
Gary Whitta said:

Chittagong

Gold Member
Nicodimas said:

Oh man. I hate to be the person breaking the news - HD-DVD is dead. It hurts to admit it, but let's face the truth: he's gone. Having the final meal soaking wet of salty tears. Flirting with the reaper. Moving on to the other side to live as an ex-format. Being fed grapes by topless ex-formatesses in the heaven of formats. Toshiba won't pull out the defibrillator, it will only make the suffering just longer.

Now is a good time to remember our moments together with him, and I do have many: the excitement of seeing studios support the format. The first time seeing his happy shiny face coming out of the Xbox 360 HD-DVD box. The wintery evenings spent together throwing snowballs and watching Heroes. Nobody can take the memories away.

Well stay forever this way. You are safe in my heart.

Gary Whitta said:

I saw a fascinating documentary about that not too long ago.

My favorite part of the film was when Gilligan dropped that coconut on the Skipper's head.

xsarien

daedsiluap
StoOgE said:
they have production lines, systems in wharehouses, etc. big companies dont move that nimbly... i would assume they will try and get some consideration from the brd group to end the war. even if they throw in the towel, that will take a few weeks.

Well, you implied that there were other options outside of giving up, that's all. :lol

Ripclawe

Banned
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/8d56c2a8-bc89-11dc-bcf9-0000779fd2ac.html

Paramount and DreamWorks joined the HD-DVD camp last year after securing fee payments worth an estimated $150m from the HD-DVD camp.

Universal has been the format’s biggest champion but it was tight lipped on Sunday about its next move. It was unclear whether the studios backing HD-DVD would change sides, although it is understood that Paramount has reserved the right to switch its backing to Blu-ray.

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/breakingnews/infotech/view_article.php?article_id=110708

Toshiba is now expected to further promote installation of HD-DVD drives in personal computers, targeting users who watch movies on their PCs, the Nikkei business daily said.

"The core of its turn-around plan is to capture those who watch DVDs on personal computers, a popular practice in the United States," the newspaper said.

indie85

Banned
Ripclawe said:
Toshiba is now expected to further promote installation of HD-DVD drives in personal computers, targeting users who watch movies on their PCs, the Nikkei business daily said.

"The core of its turn-around plan is to capture those who watch DVDs on personal computers, a popular practice in the United States," the newspaper said.
:lol :lol

Nicodimas

Banned
Oh man. I hate to be the person breaking the news - HD-DVD is dead. It hurts to admit it, but let's face the truth: he's gone. Having the final meal soaking wet of salty tears. Flirting with the reaper. Moving on to the other side to live as an ex-format. Being fed grapes by topless ex-formatesses in the heaven of formats. Toshiba won't pull out the defibrillator, it will only make the suffering just longer.
Weird my hd-dvd has not self destructed at this news....it will continue to work a lot longer and I will continue to pick up new releases and more hd-dvds. Zodiac is upcoming.

That must drive you crazy.

My Xa-2 will also upconvert all my SD-Material that I will eventually have to replace over the next couple of years<Audio guy>.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Chittagong said:

Now is a good time to remember our moments together with him, and I do have many: the excitement of seeing studios support the format. The first time seeing his happy shiny face coming out of the Xbox 360 HD-DVD box. The wintery evenings spent together throwing snowballs and watching Heroes. Nobody can take the memories away.

Well stay forever this way. You are safe in my heart.

Reading your post with that youtube link open in the background .... :lol :lol

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Gary Whitta said:

lol fuck.

Quality stuff.

Nicodimas said:
Weird my hd-dvd has not self destructed at this news....it will continue to work a lot longer and I will continue to pick up new releases and more hd-dvds. Zodiac is upcoming.

That must drive you crazy.

My Xa-2 will also upconvert all my SD-Material that I will eventually have to replace over the next couple of years<Audio guy>.

but will you be able to watch Hi -def Batman : The Dark Knight ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom