• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thaivo

Gary Whitta said:
Last night I watched Next on HD-DVD, one of the worst movies I've seen in years.
Last night I saw Pan's Labrinth on HD DVD, one of the best movies I've seen in years.
Even with HD, you need to be selective. :D

From my experience, HD makes a great movie unbelievable, but it really can't do much for bad films.

Opus Angelorum said:
I hope you didn't buy? Jessica Biel couldn't even save it.
Netflix. I should have learned my lesson after Paycheck. Next is even worse than that.

Jessica Biel looked FANTASTIC in this movie but yeah, even that could not redeem this stinking shitpile.

justjohn

woohoo i'm definetely getting 24 on blu-ray. i wonder if they can fit the entire season on one disc. imagine just watching the entire 24hrs without any breaks. just seamless :D

jjasper

justjohn said:
woohoo i'm definetely getting 24 on blu-ray. i wonder if they can fit the entire season on one disc. imagine just watching the entire 24hrs without any breaks. just seamless :D

Not going to happen.

Xater

justjohn said:

Sure it's possible if you don't mind it being in SD. :D

ManaByte

Gold Member
justjohn said:

When I see people say shit like this about BRD/HD-DVD I want to beat them over the head with a 2x4.

jjasper

original.jpeg

Could it be? Finally an end to the stupid metallic shit on the cover of Disney movies?

ManaByte

Gold Member
jjasper said:
original.jpeg

Could it be? Finally an end to the stupid metallic shit on the cover of Disney movies?

Ratatouille, Pixar Shorts, and Pirates 3 didn't have it.

The Rock and Con Air did though.

Kolgar

Shoot 'em Up was a blind buy for me because I'd heard it contained non-stop action with cool comic-book style. Plus, you know, it's got Monica Bellucci.

I came away pretty disappointed.

I like comic-book style (see Sin City, 300), but I guess over-the-top action just isn't my thing. This movie features some of the most outlandish, just-plain GOOFY stunts since I was first appalled by the ridiculous "flit-flying over rooftops" scenes of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. The dialog here was marginally better than a Resident Evil movie, but the silly gunplay scenes shared too many similarities.

The (almost) saving grace for me was Monica Bellucci, who looks smashing here--really, just drop-dead gorgeous--and who thankfully actually plays a significant role.

Shoulda passed, but I'd had high hopes. My fault for not reading more reviews.

BojTrek

Banned
It is official... I hope it is OK to post this here...

I am HD at of 1PM CST... and will officially back Blu-Ray... I will keep all existing DVD movies I have and any new movie I buy will most likely be on Blu-Ray.

I bought this TV and a PS3 at lunch today... and hooked it up...

Holy crap do the X-Box 360 launch backgrounds (tabs or whatever they are called.. oh yeah BLADES) look incredible. The PS3 is hooked up too and Spiderman III on Blu-Ray is incredible looking.

Sony Bravia XBR KDL-40XBR4

6ykn7h0.jpg

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8460257&type=product&id=1184369372305

8460257_ra.jpg

Laurent

Costanza said:
Family Guy and Simpsons don't really make sense. Aren't they both rendered/filmed or whatever in 4:3 480p?
They could clean it up and make it 1080p in 4:3 or it wouldn't make any sense?

Kolgar said:
Shoot 'em Up was a blind buy for me because I'd heard it contained non-stop action with cool comic-book style. Plus, you know, it's got Monica Bellucci.

I came away pretty disappointed.

I like comic-book style (see Sin City, 300), but I guess over-the-top action just isn't my thing. This movie features some of the most outlandish, just-plain GOOFY stunts since I was first appalled by the ridiculous "flit-flying over rooftops" scenes of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. The dialog here was marginally better than a Resident Evil movie, but the silly gunplay scenes shared too many similarities.

The (almost) saving grace for me was Monica Bellucci, who looks smashing here--really, just drop-dead gorgeous--and who thankfully actually plays a significant role.

Shoulda passed, but I'd had high hopes. My fault for not reading more reviews.

I dunno.

Initially I was feeling "Meh" about it after leaving the theater.

Upon further reflection, I found I really liked certain action pieces and scenes.

Shoot'em Up is an action movie that really isn't an action movie. It's satire.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
BojTrek said:
It is official... I hope it is OK to post this here...

I am HD at of 1PM CST... and will officially back Blu-Ray... I will keep all existing DVD movies I have and any new movie I buy will most likely be on Blu-Ray.

I bought this TV and a PS3 at lunch today... and hooked it up...

Congrats. Your tv seems too bright, but I don't know if that's the camera. You may need to tweak it a little to get a more natural picture from it.

Blu Ray movies will look fantastic, as will any HD content (movies, movie trailers, etc. ) on PsN and Xbox Live. XBLA and PsN downloadable games with bright colors also translate very well to HD.

I remember how much fun I had when I picked up my 360 just downloading HD stuff and gawking. :lol

Gary Whitta said:
Last night I watched Next on HD-DVD, one of the worst movies I've seen in years.
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I'm sorry you had to endure that crapfest..

BojTrek

Banned
Thanks all... I was happy with my 27" WEGA Sony with 1080i... it wasn't wide-screen but DVD's looked good and X-Box was decent...

But actually having 1080p now, in my own house... not at a store... HOLY CRAP!

The difference is HUGE!

I love it... I did not need this TV, as my basement TV was fine for movies... BUT I AM SO FREAKING HAPPY... that I am typing in all-CAPS... Jeez!

bill0527

VanMardigan said:
Congrats. Your tv seems too bright, but I don't know if that's the camera. You may need to tweak it a little to get a more natural picture from it.

Blu Ray movies will look fantastic, as will any HD content (movies, movie trailers, etc. ) on PsN and Xbox Live. XBLA and PsN downloadable games with bright colors also translate very well to HD.

I remember how much fun I had when I picked up my 360 just downloading HD stuff and gawking. :lol

Yeah since he just bought it, I guarantee the contrast is still in what we used to call, "torch mode". Almost every TV that ships seems to have contrast maxed out for some reason.

Ryu1999

BojTrek said:
Thanks all... I was happy with my 27" WEGA Sony with 1080i... it wasn't wide-screen but DVD's looked good and X-Box was decent...

The difference is HUGE!

I love it... I did not need this TV, as my basement TV was fine for movies... BUT I AM SO FREAKING HAPPY... that I am typing in all-CAPS... Jeez!

[spin] People cannot see the difference between regular DVD and HD[/spin]

BojTrek, you have no idea how jealous I am. That is the EXACT same tv I want. Every time i go into best buy my girlfriend has to drag me away from it. Congrats on the new tv set, hope you are enjoying the hell out of it and it's 1080p good-ness. :)

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
BojTrek said:

The difference is HUGE!

Yea it is a huge difference. I thought the same thing until my Samsung 1080p LCD came in.

Christopher

Honestly what titles are left for HD-DVD to even make a come back with? Consumers are going to demand new releases, and Shrek 3 failed to chart - I don't understand why Toshiba wants to lose anymore money in this, and prolong this one sided war.

But hey...

George Claw M.D. said:
:lol Holy shit! That was some triple-platinum comedy, right there. My favorite part was when he said, "Those who don't own a dedicated HD-DVD player can leave the room." Almost the whole room left! :lol I don't care which side you cheer for. This video deserves a standing ovation. Even the self-admitted HD DVD fans on YouTube applauded it! That's saying something.

Edit: "BLADES OF GLORY?!! Are you FUCKING kidding me?!!" :lol
ok, you do know that's a scene from a movie right?
Gary Whitta said:
Netflix. I should have learned my lesson after Paycheck. Next is even worse than that.

Jessica Biel looked FANTASTIC in this movie but yeah, even that could not redeem this stinking shitpile.
so you're saying that PKD books don't make good movies? I agree 100%.
Wait for a Blade Runner fan to try to correct me.
ManaByte said:
Ratatouille, Pixar Shorts, and Pirates 3 didn't have it.

The Rock and Con Air did though.
I feel that's because the discs were more or less pressed and ready to go a few months ago but Disney just delayed them for some reason.
NekoFever said:
I'd trade it for Firefly season 2. Do the right thing, Fox.
sigh, so true.

NekoFever said:
I'd trade it for Firefly season 2. Do the right thing, Fox.

Nathan Fillion: currently filming Trucker
Summer Glau: currently starring in The Sarah Connor Chronicles
Morena Baccarin: appearing in Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Alan Tudyk: currently filming a pilot for Barry Sonnenfeld
Gina Torres: wrapped on Don't Let Me Drown
Adam Baldwin: wrapped on Gospel Hill
Jewel Staite: appearing in The Tribe
Sean Maher: not working?
Ron Glass: not working?

Cheesemeister said:
Nathan Fillion: currently filming Trucker
Summer Glau: currently starring in The Sarah Connor Chronicles
Morena Baccarin: appearing in Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Alan Tudyk: currently filming a pilot for Barry Sonnenfeld
Gina Torres: wrapped on Don't Let Me Drown
Adam Baldwin: wrapped on Gospel Hill
Jewel Staite: appearing in The Tribe
Sean Maher: not working?
Ron Glass: not working?
aren't a few of those characters kind of dead anyway? (so pissed he killed my favorite character).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom