• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MechDX

VanMardigan said:
Well, that's where this story fits. Obviously Warner (and Toshiba) felt they could lure Fox over to HD DVD. Fox knew that Warner was a gamechanger, as did everyone else. But once Fox nixed HD DVD, Warner wasn't going to take any money. Now, why did Fox nix Toshiba's offer at (reportedly) the last minute? Well, you can believe that their love of BD+ and region coding canceled out the millions that Toshiba had for them, or (as some have suggested) that Sony stepped in and solidified Fox's support (presumably through a payment of their own).

From what Dave V stated at AVS a while back FOX was getting 86 million and WB was getting 500 million for the switch. The contracts were complete on the morning of the 4th and when all the parties sat down to do the signing Fox walked out. He says they were given 120 million from Sony to stay BD that was offered right before they were to sign there contract.

He also stated that Fox was upset with BD+ being cracked already and that was the main reason they were with Bluray to begin with.

Look at it this way: Sony could not afford to lose this format war. they had to do everything in their power to win this at all costs. If WB/Fox had gone HD Disney would have followed with a neutral movement soon after and BD would be basically dead or release 10 million copies of STEALTH. Whichever comes first.:D

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
"He also stated that Fox was upset with BD+ being cracked already and that was the main reason they were with Bluray to begin with."

Err, what?
BD+ has not even been used yet

Sounds like BS+

Edit:
Errr, they have been using BD+?

Oni Jazar

MechDX said:
From what Dave V stated at AVS a while back FOX was getting 86 million and WB was getting 500 million for the switch. The contracts were complete on the morning of the 4th and when all the parties sat down to do the signing Fox walked out. He says they were given 120 million from Sony to stay BD that was offered right before they were to sign there contract.

He also stated that Fox was upset with BD+ being cracked already and that was the main reason they were with Bluray to begin with.

BD+ has not been cracked

Just got finished with Sunshine. Um, huh. Visually impressive but the film just seemed to be a better Event Horizon in some respects. On the other hand, it's the first time I've felt engrossed in a film for awhile. I actually cared about seeing what was going to happen, even if it did take forever to get there. Some of the film was predictable, though, such as
the first death
and
the guy who stayed behind

edit: also, is the film supposed to start doing a little freeze frame thing at the end?

oh yeah, and Johnny Blaze actually acted in this movie; I was surprised.

avaya

Oni Jazar said:

Did Die Hard 4.0 use BD+?

It was Fox distributed worldwide and it's been ripped....

I think only a few movies have been compromised. Now they'll be using new BD+ codes and the hackers start from scratch. This is why Slysoft recommends HD-DVD. Pirates will eventually win but BD+ is taking longer than expected for them to beat.

Does anyone know if they are using ROM-Mark on the Blu-ray's? It might not be necessary now (due to BD-R costs) but it's a near fool-proof way of deterring mass replication of compromised discs like what happens with DVDs in China.

bune duggy said:
Just got finished with Sunshine. Um, huh. Visually impressive but the film just seemed to be a better Event Horizon in some respects. On the other hand, it's the first time I've felt engrossed in a film for awhile. I actually cared about seeing what was going to happen, even if it did take forever to get there. Some of the film was predictable, though, such as
the first death
and
the guy who stayed behind

edit: also, is the film supposed to start doing a little freeze frame thing at the end?

oh yeah, and Johnny Blaze actually acted in this movie; I was surprised.
Yep, Chris Evans actually has skills when he's not being directed by a jackass like Tim Story.

I was not the biggest fan of the
Event Horizon part
, but in no way does it invalidate all the awesome to come before it.

Okay, sorry. I'm sure this has talked to death, but it's a huge thread and I haven't been paying close attention.

Batman Begins is on tv right now, and I really want it in HD. Any idea when Warner will start actually releasing their stuff on Blu-Ray?

Thanks.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
not that it really matters, but the 'fox and warner almost went red' story isn't very plausible. there was talk about the stages of grief immediately after warner's announcement -- this story reads like 'bargaining.' MAN WE WERE THIS CLOSE

border

Got done listening to this week's episode of This Week in Tech, and the panel there had some pretty ridiculous spin control. "Oh, it's definitely not over yet for HD-DVD [followed by no explanation of how Toshiba can/will recover].......even if the war is over, people would rather just watch upscaled DVDs.....Sony is off its rocker and blew their lead in the console war..."

polyh3dron said:
Yep, Chris Evans actually has skills when he's not being directed by a jackass like Tim Story.

I was not the biggest fan of the
Event Horizon part
, but in no way does it invalidate all the awesome to come before it.
that's true. The whole film up till then was very well done. I read in Wikipedia that he intended that EH thing to throw off the realism like he did in Trainspotting with the jumping into the toilet thing. I think he could have left that out but then the end wouldn't have been as frantic. There was no antagonist to speed things up so I guess this was a "needed(?)" addition.

avaya

Spinning Plates said:
You can download and play BD+ titles (40GB download) but you can't re-encode it to something more manageable in size like the x264/wmvhd releases.

So if ROM-Mark is used and with non-AACS authoring for personal use you can't even burn to BD-R and watch, leaving only the 40GB download? That's a massive detterrent for any prospective pirate.

I think they'd class that a success for BD+. These were only the compromised movies as well.

Nicodimas said:
Warner will still probably give hd-dvd the better treatment.

:lol

djkimothy

Nicodimas said:
Warner will still probably give hd-dvd the better treatment.

Hd-dvds will not stops working if the format actually does lose.

Isn't that the truth. Warner shipped Planet Earth on 4 BD rather than 2 probably cause they authored it for the lower capacity HDDVD discs first.

avaya

Captain Glanton said:
Okay, sorry. I'm sure this has talked to death, but it's a huge thread and I haven't been paying close attention.

Batman Begins is on tv right now, and I really want it in HD. Any idea when Warner will start actually releasing their stuff on Blu-Ray?

Thanks.

Two opportunities: Launch when Dark Night hits theatres or this Christmas. Expect it this year though.

mr stroke

Captain Glanton said:

Thanks.

If I were to guess I would say May or June, I would think it would be one of WB's first BR movies to showcase there love for the format, but I could be way off

Nicodimas

Banned
Uh, like?

Do you even own a blu-ray player?

I have alway been waiting for something that is on the same level of the Toshiba Xa-2, The panny 50 looks like it..there are some exclusives that look interesting this year :)

MechDX said:
looks up from watching Batman:Begins on HD DVD...

Say something?
Yeah, I said that hd fans will have to wait for I Am Legend on hd until a few weeks after the blu version.
You may want to turn the volume down a bit if it is affecting your hearing.
Ooooh, possibly some attempt at a humerous poke at Batman Begins not being on blu yet right?
I will give you a secret, I didn't have to wait for that because I had the 360 add on which I sold recently along with Batman Begins.
Though while watching Batman Begins there, be sure and thing warmly about The Dark Knight...on blu.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
FFObsessed said:
But as Penton says, its water under the bridge now, it's done, and I agree the book/movie on it all will probably be interesting, but theres no way to know which "facts" are true and which are just "spin"

But yet you still choose to believe what the Blu guys take on the matter is. I don't expect Fox to ever acknowledge that they were considering going HD DVD exclusive. ESPECIALLY not now. So it's a fact that Fox and Toshiba were in negotiations, it's just a difference of if Fox was ever seriously considering it or not. Ok, I guess we'll just wait for the book, but it's equally amusing to read Blu Ray fans reaction to the rumor. The answer is probably somewhere in between.

Vaughn also retracted a bit of his statement by saying that he can't say for sure what Fox's intentions were only that Fox & Toshiba had a high level meeting.

You mean this quote?

Fox was negotiating with Toshiba...that is a fact. Whether they were negotiating in good faith though, I don't know for sure. But, they were in negotiations.

That's a fair statement to make, I think. Only the people at those meetings would know if there was any real chance of it happening. So at the end of the day, we know that Fox and Toshiba met, and that Warner was ready to jump if Fox switched sides. The difference being just how close Fox was. If Sony offered Fox additional incentives, then the assumption would be that they surely felt Fox was at least on the table with Toshiba in good faith.

MechDX

OokieSpookie said:
Yeah, I said that hd fans will have to wait for I Am Legend on hd until a few weeks after the blu version.
You may want to turn the volume down a bit if it is affecting your hearing.
Ooooh, possibly some attempt at a humerous poke at Batman Begins not being on blu yet right?
I will give you a secret, I didn't have to wait for that because I had the 360 add on which I sold recently along with Batman Begins.
Though while watching Batman Begins there, be sure and thing warmly about The Dark Knight...on blu.

If youre neutral why all the hate? Oh I know why.....

Only the PS3 can give Tetris the physics it needs.

KZObsessed

VanMardigan said:
But yet you still choose to believe what the Blu guys take on the matter is.

Nope. I choose to believe the most logical course of action, and there is no logical reason what so ever to make Fox want to go HD-DVD exclusive, and as Fox's senior VP of corporate and marketing communications, Steve Feldstein personally says :

Steve Feldstein said:
"The kind of money they're talking about [in these stories] isn't worth jeopardizing a multi-billion dollar business."

And he also got in contact with the writer of the first blog to pick up this "rumour" and corrected them personally:

Feldstein also told me that when The Pittsburgh Post Gazette piece broke, he contacted Lindich immediately to let him know that he was being misled by someone. When Don posted the same piece on his own blog, it was edited to reflect this. Specifically, the references to $120 million and $500 million payoffs were gone - something that's worthy of note.

http://www.digitalbits.com/#mytwocents

But hey, as long as people can feel better about "almost winning" what does logic matter?

Nicodimas

Banned
From AVS
6th Day
Studio: Sony
Release Date: April 8th
MSRP: $28.95

Adv of Baron munchausen (20th Anniv)
Release Date: April 8th
MSRP $28.95

*Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story
Release Date: March 25th
MSRP $43.95

*Water Horse: Legend of the Deep
Release Date: March 25th
MSRP $38.96

Yea...for the insanely high msrps Sony, exactly what I expected from you. <*these may be collectors editions, but come on...>

Nicodimas

Banned
Hey Ookie Jealous? :D

Kinowelt: Terminator 2: The Ultimate HD DVD

ImagionAG - Terminator 2 Ultimate HD DVD

YouTube: IFA 2007: Terminator 2 - Ultimate HD DVD Trailer

Coming March 20, 2008 in Germany

Specs:

- 1080p/24fps Restored 152 Minute Director's Cut
- English DTS-HD 7.1
- German DTS-HD 7.1
- German and Turkish subtitles
- Region Free (of course)
- 1 30GB HD DVD packaged in a Steelbook

Extras (updated 1/14):

- HDi menu system created by ImagionAG
- Audio commentary by co-writer/director James Cameron and co-writer William Wisher
- Audio Commentary featuring 26 cast and crew members
- "No Feat But What We Make" (Documentary)
- "The Making Of Terminator 2" (Featurette)
- "T2: More Than Meets The Eye" (Featurette)
- "The Making of T2: 3-D: Breaking The Screen Barrier" (Featurette)
- "Inside T2" Picture-in-Picture Mode
- Screenplay-to-Film Mode (English or German)
- Quiz Mode (English or German)
- Spy Mode (English or German)
- Interactive Mode (English or German)
- Deleted Scenes w/ optional audio commentary
- 574 page screenplay (English or German)
- 700 Storyboards
- 60 Cast and Crew Interview Video Clips
- Guns 'n' Roses - You Could Be Mine (Music Video)
- Teasers and Trailers
- Text covering Pre-Production, Production, and Post-Production (English or German)
- Filmographies (English or German)
- Photo Galleries
- DynamicHD Online Connectivity
- Bookmarking
- Hidden Easter Eggs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom