• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaptruder

Banned
IronicallyTwisted said:
And that has what to do with my point? HD DVD being region free was a point for it being a superior medium. As a consumer I want a region free product, not the same coded bullshit we had to deal with on DVD's. I could care less why Blu Ray won, it being region locked is a bad thing, and if you think otherwise you might as well tatoo a sony logo on your forehead.

Fuck. Some of you have the analytical ability of a fucking chimp. It's such a typical american attitude; I want what I want, and fuck you for not giving it to me.

The equation is simple.

More movies is better.

More movies come from studios.

Region Free is good.

Studios will provide movies in exchange for not having region free.

More movies is better than region free from consumer standpoint.

Ergo, the format that compromised while the other did not won out.

Yeah, I love stuff been region free as well. I import a lot of stuff. So when BD lacked region free, it affected me. Even so, having the content was more important to me then not having the content. Can you imagine some shit market situation where you've got 2 formats, and some studios not participating in either of the new formats? I could; and I don't like it one bit.

Whether or not you personally think more content is better than a format been region free or not is irrelevant; consumers by and large have decided that content is better than region free.

In the end, the superior medium is the one that can deliver on all fronts. If you can't deliver on the content front, there can be no claims of superiority.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Zaptruder said:
Fuck. Some of you have the analytical ability of a fucking chimp. It's such a typical american attitude; I want what I want, and fuck you for not giving it to me.

keep away from the mac air discussion in the mac world thread.

IronicallyTwisted said:
Thanks for the ramble on why studios like region coding. Go back and read my posts again.

And 3 regions is worse than none.
And thus you failed to address the problem I set in front of you with the lack of region coding with what amounted to a "tl;dr" dismissal. If region coding gives me New Line, Fox and Disney movies, I'll take it. The lack of it contributed to HD DVD's current deathbed status.

Zaptruder said:

The equation is simple.

More movies is better.

More movies come from studios.

Region Free is good.

Studios will provide movies in exchange for not having region free.

More movies is better than region free from consumer standpoint.

Ergo, the format that compromised while the other did not won out.

Yeah, I love stuff been region free as well. I import a lot of stuff. So when BD lacked region free, it affected me. Even so, having the content was more important to me then not having the content. Can you imagine some shit market situation where you've got 2 formats, and some studios not participating in either of the new formats? I could; and I don't like it one bit.

Whether or not you personally think more content is better than a format been region free or not is irrelevant; consumers by and large have decided that content is better than region free.

In the end, the superior medium is the one that can deliver on all fronts. If you can't deliver on the content front, there can be no claims of superiority.

Firstly, i'm not an American, secondly, fuck off with the Ad Hominem bullshit, because its never welcome.

Region Encoding is not nessecary to make movies, its just a mechanism to make consumers lives harder and to give studios more control over their distribution. We had two formats, one pioneering a globally unified medium and the other using a 3 way split. All things being equal I know what i'd vote for. My original point was HD DVD being region free made it better for movie goers. Blu Ray running off superior technology didn't automatically make it the format of choice for consumers.

polyh3dron said:
And thus you failed to address the problem I set in front of you with the lack of region coding with what amounted to a "tl;dr" dismissal. If region coding gives me New Line, Fox and Disney movies, I'll take it. The lack of it contributed to HD DVD's current deathbed status.

What problem? Studios do not require region encoding to operate, and if there was only one format without it they wouldn't have a choice. You are arguing with what you think I am saying, not with what I actually am saying.

IronicallyTwisted said:
Blu Ray running off superior technology didn't automatically make it the format of choice for consumers.
A better selection of hit (read: day & date, not catalog) movies helped make it the choice for consumers. One large reason why BD had more studio support which led to that better selection was OPTIONAL region coding.

Studios do not require region encoding to operate
Wrong. Studios that rely on selling international home video rights to their movies to secure financing for said movies DO require it. Just like I said in the above post that was apparently too long for you to read or something.

Zaptruder

Banned
IronicallyTwisted said:
Firstly, i'm not an American, secondly, fuck off with the Ad Hominem bullshit, because its never welcome.

Region Encoding is not nessecary to make movies, its just a mechanism to make consumers lives harder and to give studios more control over their distribution. We had two formats, one pioneering a globally unified medium and the other using a 3 way split. All things being equal I know what i'd vote for. My original point was HD DVD being region free made it better for movie goers. Blu Ray running off superior technology didn't automatically make it the format of choice for consumers.

Regardless of where you're from, it's such a typically fucking ignorant attitude.

Your problem is these variables don't exist in a vacuum.

All things been perfect, I'd have a single regionless format from the get go, with all the bells and whistles including support for xvycc color profile, and I'd have had it a couple years ago.

None of it is perfect, none of it exists in a vacuum.

Ultimately what determines the 'superiority' of a format is how it all stacks up together weighed against market forces.

In this case BD has essentially won out. Stop crying over the spilt milk and either jump in or gtfo.

Your other problem may be that you seem to be conflating technical capability with format superiority.

Format superiority is ultimately decided by a combination of all things including content support. In format superiority terms; how much it sells does not matter to the consumer*; but what is available, and what restrictions it has, and what function it has matter.
With this instance; content availability is tied innately to restrictions. The superior (but still compromised) format won out in this instance.
*Although it does matter to studios, which in turn effects what content is available.

Region encoding on the otherhand has nothing to do with technical superiority; it is not because it is technically inferior that it has region encoding.
And in this issue, full profile BD would win out anyway; where as discussions of profile related issues with BD would go in the 'format superiority' bin.

Zaptruder said:
Regardless of where you're from, it's such a typically fucking ignorant attitude.

Your problem is these variables don't exist in a vacuum.

All things been perfect, I'd have a single regionless format from the get go, with all the bells and whistles including support for xvycc color profile, and I'd have had it a couple years ago.

None of it is perfect, none of it exists in a vacuum.

Ultimately what determines the 'superiority' of a format is how it all stacks up together weighed against market forces.

In this case BD has essentially won out. Stop crying over the spilt milk and either jump in or gtfo.

What the fuck are you on about? When did I even claim I didn't want Blu Ray to win? There WAS a regionless format that potentially could have captured the high-def physical disc market. One of the reasons I liked HD DVD was because it was region free, and if that makes me stereotypically arrogant, fucking sue me.

polyh3dron said:
A better selection of hit (read: day & date, not catalog) movies helped make it the choice for consumers. One large reason why BD had more studio support which led to that better selection was OPTIONAL region coding.

:lol

polyh3dron said:
Wrong. Studios that rely on selling international home video rights to their movies to secure financing for said movies DO require it. Just like I said in the above post that was apparently too long for you to read or something.

They would find a way. The future is region free, and its only a matter of time before we get there.

Zaptruder

Banned
IronicallyTwisted said:
What the fuck are you on about? When did I even claim I didn't want Blu Ray to win? There WAS a regionless format that potentially could have captured the high-def physical disc market. One of the reasons I liked HD DVD was because it was region free, and if that makes me stereotypically arrogant, fucking sue me.

Your original point was that region free was better for consumers, but then fail to qualify that with the understanding that it's what caused the lack of content.
I'm saying its better for consumers to have the content that to have the region freeness.

There are more variables to the sum than region free or not region free.

All things been equal, I'd prefer to have a regionless format. Problem is, when you change that variable, the rest of the equation changes; studio support changes, content support changes.

Zaptruder said:
Your original point was that region free was better for consumers, but then fail to qualify that with the understanding that it's what caused the lack of content.
I'm saying its better for consumers to have the content that to have the region freeness.

There are more variables to the sum than region free or not region free.

The content will exist on whatever medium dominates, region free or not. The only reason consumers had to make a choice between region encoding and region free was because there were two formats. If Sony never released Blu Ray, we would probably have a region free high def format right now.

Zaptruder

Banned
IronicallyTwisted said:
The content will exist on whatever medium dominates, region free or not. The only reason consumers had to make a choice between region encoding and region free was because there were two formats. If Sony never released Blu Ray, we would probably have a region free high def format right now.

And if Toshiba hadn't introduced HD-DVD, we would probably have a region free high def format right now as well.

Region free isn't included for shits and giggles. It's included not in a vaccuum; but in an understanding of the market forces and what is critical vs what is not.

Zaptruder said:
And if Toshiba hadn't introduced HD-DVD, we would probably have a region free high def format right now as well.

Region free isn't included for shits and giggles. It's included not in a vaccuum; but in an understanding of the market forces and what is critical vs what is not.

And for all the bullshit quoting you have gone through, I am dumbfounded by how such a simple point has balooned into whatever semblance of an argument exists now.

I like region free. People like region free. All things being equal, people will choose region free.

Things weren't equal, and non-region free won anyway.

IronicallyTwisted said:
They would find a way. The future is region free, and its only a matter of time before we get there.
No, The Future Is Blu.

Studios get to put region coding on their discs if they need to, or they can leave it off it they want as well.

Of course I would want region free discs too and who wouldn't, but if it means ACTUALLY MISSING OUT ON MOVIES, then I'd rather the studio have the option. Forcing region free discs didn't do wonders for New Line. Even before Warner went BD exclusive New Line released Hairspray, Rush Hour 3 and Shoot Em Up on BD but held off on the HD DVD release because they couldn't region code the HD DVDs.

Zaptruder

Banned
Seriously. If you give that much of a damn with region free; drum up support for it and only buy region free discs.

I'm doing my part to buy region free; I import most of my movies, which means I HAVE to get region free.

Zaptruder said:
Seriously. If you give that much of a damn with region free; drum up support for it and only buy region free discs.

I'm doing my part to buy region free; I import most of my movies, which means I HAVE to get region free.

What is this "I give that much of a damn"? I made one passing comment that HD DVD had its own merits and the Blu Ray Bridage jumped me. Its not a huge deal, but it is significant. And you should try being less of a douche.

polyh3dron said:
No, The Future Is Blu.

Studios get to put region coding on their discs if they need to, or they can leave it off it they want as well.

Of course I would want region free discs too and who wouldn't, but if it means ACTUALLY MISSING OUT ON MOVIES, then I'd rather the studio have the option. Forcing region free discs didn't do wonders for New Line. Even before Warner went BD exclusive New Line released Hairspray, Rush Hour 3 and Shoot Em Up on BD but held off on the HD DVD release because they couldn't region code the HD DVDs.

Again, these studios are forced into whatever people are buying. Region Free is still more profitable than not releasing them at all. Now companies don't require such a compromise, but i'm amazed anyone would actually defend region coding.

Zaptruder

Banned
IronicallyTwisted said:
What is this "I give that much of a damn"? I made one passing comment that HD DVD had its own merits and the Blu Ray Bridage jumped me. Its not a huge deal, but it is significant. And you should try being less of a douche.

Your idiocy drew my ire. And no, it wasn't just a passing comment. It was quite a number of comments, trying to iterate the same point broken point in a few different ways.

avaya

727l0nt.jpg

M3wThr33

Banned
No one is arguing region-free is bad.
BUT studios can throw around their weight because we want movies.

If somehow Blu-Ray failed as a format, and HD-DVD did win out, I guarantee you with every bone in my body that as a compromise before Fox and Disney would sign up would be to add region coding to later profiles. There's just no other way for them.

On ANOTHER topic, someone in the thread earlier mentioned "Fullscreen" on Lost filling up the 16:9 ratio.
It's an interesting thought. Because that's literally full screen, a 16:9 ratio. In the future, pretty much all TVs are going to be that, save for computer monitors and other stuff. But the WIDESCREEN ratios are going to be the kickers. And "Full frame" really won't have much of a meaning in a dozen years or so.

antiloop

Imaging if Blu-ray could end this quickly. No more war, all movies on one format.

Hugs all around and striving towards the same goal so to speak. :)

But Toshiba naturally want to earn as much money as they can. Who wouldn't.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
antiloop said:
Imaging if Blu-ray could end this quickly. No more war, all movies on one format.

Hugs all around and striving towards the same goal so to speak. :)

But Toshiba naturally want to earn as much money as they can. Who wouldn't.

Some would argue that cutting prices again (which at this point is assuredly selling at a loss)
Is probably not the best business move to earn money, especially if they are still producing players

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
FFObsessed said:
Nope. I choose to believe the most logical course of action, and there is no logical reason what so ever to make Fox want to go HD-DVD exclusive, and as Fox's senior VP of corporate and marketing communications, Steve Feldstein personally says :

There is no 'almost winning' crap from me. I'm fine with how things worked out, but it seems like Steve's quote simply means the offer was too low. You don't see any logical reason for Fox to consider HD DVD, Steve sees several million. Toshiba didn't see that many. Again, if Sony stepped in, maybe they saw some logical reason as well. It's business, and while Fox certainly had ties with the BDA, Warner had even more ties to the HD DVD group, and they bolted.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
IronicallyTwisted said:
Who gives a shit what studios want. Whats good for the CONSUMER is region free.
Nobody really gives a shit what the studios want, but you'd be misleading to suggest that the majority of consumers give a shit about region free. Doesn't matter if in an ideal world it would better for consumers because in the real world there aren't enough who actively care about such a feature. As a result, what's going to win out is the side that more actively pursues that which they desire, and studios apparently care more about having region restrictions than consumers care about not having them.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So, now that the dust seems to be settling with Blu Ray on top, which side would you say spent the most money on HD discs.

Sony or Toshiba?

This includes all R&D, subsidies, hardware sold at a loss, etc.

VanMardigan said:
So, now that the dust seems to be settling with Blu Ray on top, which side would you say spent the most money on HD discs.

Sony or Toshiba?
I would say Sony. Good thing BD won, because now SONY can make the money back.

Toshiba, not so much.

Nicodimas

Banned
Sony they made a new format. Toshiba makes money from Sony with the cell processor :). Sony made its own blu-ray distrubution lines. Toshiba is using the ones that were used for DVD. Sony still has to make a ton of Blu-ray Replicators at 250 million a pop or they are going to be bottlenecked with PS3 games, upcoming Blu-ray, and Blurays they need to produce.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
polyh3dron said:
I would say Sony. Good thing BD won, because now SONY can make the money back.

Toshiba, not so much.

I agree that it was Sony. Toshiba lost millions on this as well that they'll never get back. Unless they can release a low cost dual format player. Someone has to knock some sense into them at this point so they can move on and get me some low cost BD players.

btw, I think you deserve to get banned for trolling amir. It wasn't your first time doing that. Although, a perma seems too harsh. Whatever, that forum sucks aside from the format-specific boards.

avaya

Nicodimas said:
Sony they made a new format. Toshiba makes money from Sony with the cell processor :). Sony made its own blu-ray distrubution lines. Toshiba is using the ones that were used for DVD. Sony still has to make a ton of Blu-ray Replicators at 250 million a pop or they are going to be bottlenecked with PS3 games, upcoming Blu-ray, and Blurays they need to produce.

Except Singulus makes BD replication lines.

jjasper

Sony and the BDA have easily spent more more. They have probably spent more in every way possible: R&D, distribution lines, marketing, etc. Compound this with PS3 R&D and selling it for a loss and it is probably a huge difference.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
avaya said:
Except Singulus makes BD replication lines.

As an aside, the cost difference between upgrading a line to HD DVD ($37k) and buying a Blu Ray replicator line (1.2 million) is so staggering I can't help but give props to Sony for getting more industry support despite that.

Singulus has only sold about 8 of their BD replicators, but hopefully their business improves now that BD seems to be on its way to winning. They've taken a beating this past year (stock value down about a third), though they got a boost when Warner went Blu exclusive.

Also, Oerlikon apparently does BD machines as well.

ehem. why the fuck are you all just arguing about region encoding and who spent more money when something MUCH MORE WORRYING is happening with the release of the first titles to use the ICT?

Constantin films, now blu-ray exclusive, used it on their releases of Resident Evil: Apocolypse in Germany.

i think crying over whether or not region free was a good thing should be put aside until we find out how Constantin were able to use the ICT when both the BDA and HD-DVD group had said it wouldn't be used until 2009 or so.

because they're in germany? because they aren't a member of the groups? we need to know.

for anyone that doesn't understand the fuss, a title with the ICT turned on downscales the output to 480p via component. only HDMI lets you get an HD picture.

this won't effect me, but this bullshit needs to stop, and you guys can argue about what's past all you like, about why blu-ray won, about why hd-dvd lost, or you could try and find out about something important that's going to effect a LOT of people right here right now.

as for BBC, i'm not surprised at them staying neutral. they're held more accountable, and since they'll pretty much have to do HD-DVD releases in England until the format is actually dead (rather than the writing just being on the wall as it is now) it does make sense for them to bring those releases to America.

i just hope Torchwood is one of their releases this year. whatever the format.

avaya

VanMardigan said:
As an aside, the cost difference between upgrading a line to HD DVD ($37k) and buying a Blu Ray replicator line (1.2 million) is so staggering I can't help but give props to Sony for getting more industry support despite that

Maxpower1987 actually went over this, when you ramp up production the cost difference is so minimal cents vs. 100th's of a cent that it is an almost(not totally!) irrelevent consideration.

@plagiarize

ICT is not mandated till 2009 or 2012 (I thought it was 2012!). Any studio can do this today if they want, but right now they don't bother with it due to the lower HDTV penetration. In Europe ICT is likely to happen quicker due to EU standards on HDReady which require every TV to have HDMI if they want to sell them as HDTV's with the HDReady sticker.

Snah said:
Digital Delivery is a threat to Blockbuster, not to quality/physical media. Sorry.

Read the topic title if you're confused.

Considering that I rent tons of Blu-Ray from Blockbuster, I would find little comfort in any threat to the viability of the physical rental model.

Regardless, if you or anybody else (including the Mod that changed the thread title) think that digital delivery is not a threat to physical media including BD, you are going to be sorely mistaken. I wouldn't worry about the continued existence of BD, but rather the likelihood that BD will never get DVD-level support for non-blockbuster stuff like deep back catalog titles, tv shows, cult classics, concerts, and the like. The hell with BD coexisting with DD, I want to see it dominate it.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
plagiarize said:

Everyone here on the Blu side uses a Ps3, which means most are using HDMI to hook up to their tv's. Those who are using component for 720p/1080i would be affected, but I don't know how many of those there are in this thread. There isn't an easy VGA solution like on the Xbox 360 for the Ps3. I mean, no official VGA cables or anything, so it isn't as big a deal for the Blu team here.

Personally, I use the VGA cable for X360 occasionally, and I also own a component cable for Ps3, so it does suck that someone is using the flag.

Maxpower1987 actually went over this, when you ramp up production the cost difference is so minimal cents vs. 100th's of a cent that it is an almost(not totally!) irrelevent consideration.

Except I was talking about the initial cost of the equipment, not the cost per disc.

Zaptruder

Banned
VanMardigan said:
Except I was talking about the initial cost of the equipment, not the cost per disc.

initial cost of equipment is largely factored into cost per disc.

No one builds a replicator to make a half dozen discs. Those things are meant to pump out millions upon millions of discs... so startup costs will always be amortized.

avaya said:

@plagiarize

ICT is not mandated till 2009 or 2012 (I thought it was 2012!). Any studio can do this today if they want, but right now they don't bother with it due to the lower HDTV penetration. In Europe ICT is likely to happen quicker due to EU standards on HDReady which require every TV to have HDMI if they want to sell them as HDTV's with the HDReady sticker.
i thought the mandate was for it to not be used until X date. i hadn't heard that it was going to be mandatory at some point in the future.

this isn't about whether or not this effects me though, because it doesn't. it's just an unnescessary copy protection thing, that won't prevent films from being ripped, but will leave a good number of people out in the dark as it were.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Zaptruder said:
initial cost of equipment is largely factored into cost per disc.

Spending that amount of money on a BD replicator (compared to upgrading for HD DVD) PLUS the fact that HD DVD discs cost less anyway is still quite a sizable advantage, which was my initial point. $37k vs. 1.2 million per line, plus whatever the difference in the cost of discs is nothing to shrug off, which is why BD replication lines were limited. I expect them to become far more bountiful now.

Zaptruder

Banned
plagiarize said:
ehem. why the fuck are you all just arguing about region encoding and who spent more money when something MUCH MORE WORRYING is happening with the release of the first titles to use the ICT?

Constantin films, now blu-ray exclusive, used it on their releases of Resident Evil: Apocolypse in Germany.

i think crying over whether or not region free was a good thing should be put aside until we find out how Constantin were able to use the ICT when both the BDA and HD-DVD group had said it wouldn't be used until 2009 or so.

because they're in germany? because they aren't a member of the groups? we need to know.

for anyone that doesn't understand the fuss, a title with the ICT turned on downscales the output to 480p via component. only HDMI lets you get an HD picture.

this won't effect me, but this bullshit needs to stop, and you guys can argue about what's past all you like, about why blu-ray won, about why hd-dvd lost, or you could try and find out about something important that's going to effect a LOT of people right here right now.

as for BBC, i'm not surprised at them staying neutral. they're held more accountable, and since they'll pretty much have to do HD-DVD releases in England until the format is actually dead (rather than the writing just being on the wall as it is now) it does make sense for them to bring those releases to America.

i just hope Torchwood is one of their releases this year. whatever the format.

http://www.hdfury.com/

Re: pompous, douchebag-gy Blu-ray fans...

I never considered myself a fan of the format. Just a fan of a one-format future. In a significant way, it's too bad HD-DVD didn't win (region-free, cheaper, solid spec, out earlier) but that's not the way it happened.

I can see where if you have a console-war mentality, a lot of my posts might come off wrong. But if you are interested in the end result, I think you'd see it differently.

I don't know the comment was directed at me, but I thought it was worth commenting on.

thaivo said:
Usually the packingslip will do. If you are worried, you could also reprint the order confirmation with your address, and match it with the packing slip. I've gotten rebates in similar fashion. Which PS3 did you get?

40gb Love the hardware so far! Now the games... O well I gotta get me some BRD's :D

BojTrek

Banned
Some good news...

My 40" Sony BRAVIA XBR LCD KDL-40XBR4 and PS3 cost with tax $2664.

Well... Best Buy sent me a 12% coupon for TV's over $399 and Blu-Ray players (not exclusing PS3).

So... at lunch... I will have $320 taken off my bill...

I will pick up some Blu-Ray movies too... NICE!

BojTrek

Banned
Yes, that is the TV... but Best Buy has it on sale for $2049...

So, $50 is not big deal and I was able to take it home and hook it up in 1 hour.

I hate ordering "want now" items online... I wanted that TV... NOW!

So... with this 12% off... it is only $1804

Christopher

I thought I would ask this here because everyone seems like so smart in these areas.

Ok so say I want 7.1 surrond sound - would I have to update JUST the reciever or would I have to buy new speakers as well? I got this set right here:

41GBE2R101L._AA280_.jpg

Pretty much the only reason I got them, not only becasue it was on sale at an amazing price, but I like the "stick" stands for the speakers as well that they came with. Now say I wanted to do 7.1 surround, would I have to just buy a whole new system? The one I have does infact have HDMI output, but I think I need a new one anyway - so just replace the reciever and get 2 speakers? Or would I have to get all new speakers ect.

Is there any progress yet on Blu-Ray being used to collect DVD-quality older films? I watch dozens of films a week, but they are mostly pre-1950s and many public domain films. I don't give a fuck about 99% of cinema post 1970 and so this whole hi-def thing is going to pass me by. I just want good transfers of old films. For me, the format war is decided if Criterion Collection says its won. I don't see myself buying any hi-def discs for 3-4 years until inroads are made in that direction.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Wolves Evolve said:
Is there any progress yet on Blu-Ray being used to collect DVD-quality older films? I watch dozens of films a week, but they are mostly pre-1950s and many public domain films. I don't give a fuck about 99% of cinema post 1970 and so this whole hi-def thing is going to pass me by. I just want good transfers of old films. For me, the format war is decided if Criterion Collection says its won. I don't see myself buying any hi-def discs for 3-4 years until inroads are made in that direction.

2001, casablanca, The Searchers, The Adventures of Robin Hood. All are old movies, and all have been restored and look amazing on HD disc.

I think there is a market for this but it'll need to grow before it can accomodate the more niche titles.

TheDuce22 said:
Does anything out there come close to LOST season 3? Maybe its the fact that its fullscreen but it looks much better than any of my other blurays. The quality is mind blowing.
fullscreen?
Aspect Ratio(s)
* 1.78:1
I'm pretty sure that's widescreen, not fullscreen. Unless you're referring to it filling your widescreen set, which is 1.78:1 itself. But that's still not fullscreen; the show just happens to be the same aspect ratio as your television.

and I see you covered this later but it's still a point that I think a lot of people getting into HD don't realize: there are different aspect ratios for everything and there will always be movies that have those black bars on the screen. It's not that there is missing picture, it's just that the director/cinematographer/someone decided to film in something other than 1.77:1. It happens.
IronicallyTwisted said:

What problem? Studios do not require region encoding to operate, and if there was only one format without it they wouldn't have a choice. You are arguing with what you think I am saying, not with what I actually am saying.
there you go, the reason for region coding.

jjasper said:
guys where is the best place to buy used BDs? i am thinking half.com, but didn't know if there was somewhere better.
if you can find them, I'd say at GameStop or EB as the movies fall under the "buy 2 get 2 free" thing that's going on right now. The problem is the person at the register and how they interpret the rules and restrictions of the sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom