• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
The Adventures of Baron Munchausen - that'll be one of my first upgrades from DVD. Hope they put together a nice package for its 20th anniversary.

This is not directed to people on this thread-- but it is very entertaining to watch people either spin and downplay (like some of the tech sites with an axe to grind) or just be in complete denial (like those posters on blogs and other forums).

It may be schadenfreude, but damnit, after a year of hearing all the bs fud and misdirection from these people, it sure is gratifying to hear them scramble.

I don't hear anyone trumpeting "standalone" sales anymore at least. Maybe because Blu basically caught up. Oh AND all those PS3s out there. The ones people kept trying to ignore. :lol

Snah

Banned
VanMardigan said:
But yet you still choose to believe what the Blu guys take on the matter is. I don't expect Fox to ever acknowledge that they were considering going HD DVD exclusive. ESPECIALLY not now. So it's a fact that Fox and Toshiba were in negotiations, it's just a difference of if Fox was ever seriously considering it or not. Ok, I guess we'll just wait for the book, but it's equally amusing to read Blu Ray fans reaction to the rumor. The answer is probably somewhere in between.

You mean this quote?

That's a fair statement to make, I think. Only the people at those meetings would know if there was any real chance of it happening. So at the end of the day, we know that Fox and Toshiba met, and that Warner was ready to jump if Fox switched sides. The difference being just how close Fox was. If Sony offered Fox additional incentives, then the assumption would be that they surely felt Fox was at least on the table with Toshiba in good faith.

Probably because they've been reliable before?

TheDuce22

Banned
Does anything out there come close to LOST season 3? Maybe its the fact that its fullscreen but it looks much better than any of my other blurays. The quality is mind blowing.

Raistlin

TheDuce22 said:
Does anything out there come close to LOST season 3? Maybe its the fact that its fullscreen but it looks much better than any of my other blurays. The quality is mind blowing.

I don't have it to compare, but I'm not surprised its a top tier release in terms of IQ.

It has always been the most detailed broadcast I've seen in HD. Not sure what they're doing, but few shows are in its league.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Speaking of Lost season 3, when the fuck is it coming out in region B territories?

It's bad enough it's only available in the States but to be region locked? What a kick in the nuts.

Snah

Banned
beermonkey@tehbias said:
Has Michael Bay come out yet and denounced the iTunes high-def streaming as not preserving his artistic vision?

Why would he?

He denounced HD-DVD because it's a format that directly competes with Blu-Ray, and it represents the highest quality you can purchase.

Michael Bay is completely on point with his comments about HD-DVD.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
beermonkey@tehbias said:
Has Michael Bay come out yet and denounced the iTunes high-def streaming as not preserving his artistic vision?

Since you mentioned Bay. Do you guys think Paramount will re-encode Transformers for him? If they do I'm curious to as to what it will look like with the higher bitrate and all.

Snah said:
Why would he?

He denounced HD-DVD because it's a format that directly competes with Blu-Ray, and it represents the highest quality you can purchase.

Digital Delivery is the real threat to quality.

Nicodimas

Banned
Anyone know anything about these bbc series ratings out of 10?
Robin Hood s1
Bleak house
Twenty thousand streets under the sky

They are out on HD and was curious which ones were worth a buy?

Snah

Banned
beermonkey@tehbias said:
Digital Delivery is the real threat to quality.

Digital Delivery is a threat to Blockbuster, not to quality/physical media. Sorry.

Read the topic title if you're confused.

TheDuce22

Banned
Onix said:
I don't have it to compare, but I'm not surprised its a top tier release in terms of IQ.

It has always been the most detailed broadcast I've seen in HD. Not sure what they're doing, but few shows are in its league.

On the first disc they have a little intro where they mention its the best possible quality that exists with the current technology.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Nicodimas said:
Anyone know anything about these bbc series ratings out of 10?
Robin Hood s1
Bleak house
Twenty thousand streets under the sky

They are out on HD and was curious which ones were worth a buy?

Robin Hood is pure shit.

Stay far, far away.

Raistlin

TheDuce22 said:
On the first disc they have a little intro where they mention its the best possible quality that exists with the current technology.

I assume its the cameras then?

Also, what did you mean about it being fullscreen? What the hell did they do to the BD's? The broadcast certainly isn't fullscreen.

TheDuce22

Banned
Onix said:
I assume its the cameras then?

Also, what did you mean about it being fullscreen? What the hell did they do to the BD's? The broadcast certainly isn't fullscreen.

I mean no black bars on the top and bottom.

Edit: The same way its broadcast. When I say fullscreen I dont mean 4:3. To me this is the disc that should be constantly running in every bluray display out there. Its perfect.

Witchfinder General said:
Robin Hood is pure shit.

Stay far, far away.

Yeah hate to say it.
It has charming moments and looks good in hd but it out cheeses the Hercules and Xena thing at times.
I believe also that it is a 1080i release though am not 100% on that.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Snah said:
Why would he?

Maybe because it wont look as good as possible and thus compromising his 'artistic integrity'' wasn't that his beef with it being on hd dvd? I don't see why that should't apply to the i tunes version.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
this is just a random question...applies to either format.........

will there be double dips on hd movies? not like it's on dvd and then hd-/blu

I mean like if I buy a movie now on hd-/blu will it be re-released 3 years later with extras?

Snah

Banned
Days like these... said:
Maybe because it wont look as good as possible and thus compromising his 'artistic integrity'' wasn't that his beef with it being on hd dvd? I don't see why that should't apply to the i tunes version.

How is this a hard concept to understand?

When Paramount shifted to HD-DVD exclusively, Transformers was not available on Blu-Ray. His comments made it clear that he would prefer that his movies be on Blu-Ray to experience them at home in the best possible way.

Maybe if movie studios were to switch exclusively to iTunes-quality digital distribution, he should say something about it.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Snah said:

When Paramount shifted to HD-DVD exclusively, Transformers was not available on Blu-Ray. His comments made it clear that he would prefer that his movies be on Blu-Ray to experience them at home in the best possible way.

Maybe if movie studios were to switch exclusively to iTunes-quality digital distribution, he should say something about it.

I understand that. What I'm saying is the i tunes version will also not be the best possible way to experience them at home thus not preserving his artistic integrity. If he wants Transformers to look as good as possible he should also denounce the itunes version for being inferior to what would be possible on the blu ray.

Snah

Banned
Days like these... said:
I understand that. What I'm saying is the i tunes version will also not be the best possible way to experience them at home thus not preserving his artistic integrity. If he wants Transformers to look as good as possible he should also denounce the itunes version for being inferior to what would be possible on the blu ray.

He never denounced DVD.

He was mad because his titles, at least for the short-term, were not going to be released on the highest quality available format.

Simply releasing his titles in various forms isn't what made him mad. What made him mad was the decision to exclusively go for HD-DVD instead of Blu-Ray.

There's nothing to be mad about for the iTunes versions...it's just another option. Switching exclusively to HD-DVD over Blu-Ray means that a sacrifice was made and it wouldn't be available on the best format.

Snah said:
He never denounced DVD.

He was mad because his titles, at least for the short-term, were not going to be released on the highest quality available format.

Simply releasing his titles in various forms isn't what made him mad. What made him mad was the decision to exclusively go for HD-DVD instead of Blu-Ray.

There's nothing to be mad about for the iTunes versions...it's just another option. Switching exclusively to HD-DVD over Blu-Ray means that a sacrifice was made and it wouldn't be available on the best format.

Do not even bother replying Snah, he is baiting and trolling just to be an ass.
Nobody expects downloadable media to compare to blu and hd.
The point is that hd uses the motto "the look and sound of perfect" or something like that, and Bay does not agree with it.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Snah said:
He never denounced DVD.

Ok I got you he would like Transformers on blu ray cause that is the superior format. As for other inferior versions being available he wouldn'nt/doesn't mind.

Raistlin

Days like these... said:

You're misunderstanding him. That's like saying he'd boycott the DVD.

The point was, two platforms were battling each other to become the HDM format of the future. He wanted the one to win that offered the best A/V quality possible. Now that he got his wish, his movies can come out on the best possible technology. That doesn't mean he's upset if people purchase the inferior version. He just wanted the best possible high-end version to be available for those that care about such things.

At the time of the statement, the 'war' hadn't been decided.

Raistlin

OokieSpookie said:
The point is that hd uses the motto "the look and sound of perfect" or something like that, and Bay does not agree with it.

wtf?

Everything Snah just said was spot-on. Did you even read his post before going into attack-mode? :lol

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
OokieSpookie said:

I was honestly debating a point with snah. I understand Bay's pov now thanks Snah. I was not trolling or baiting. Thanks for the ass comment anyways.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Its too bad the asshole sector of the market is the one that is going to win. I have truly never seen such amazingly pompous asses as Blu-Ray owners on the internet. John McCains every one of you! :p

what do owners have to do with how good a product is? Does that mean HD-DVD owners are red-headed stepchildren? This thread will be nothing but baby talk until HD-DVD owners give up the ghost, which will be never.

xsarien

daedsiluap
AlteredBeast said:
Its too bad the asshole sector of the market is the one that is going to win. I have truly never seen such amazingly pompous asses as Blu-Ray owners on the internet. John McCains every one of you! :p

Both camps have their share of douchebags, loudmouths and knuckle-dragging morons.

Did I mention how stupid it is that two competing DISC FORMATS garnered fanboys? Seriously, it's like HD-DVD and Blu-Ray's ultimate accomplishment was allowing people to make genuine asses of themselves by forming emotional attachments to obscure CE partnerships.

M3wThr33

Banned
AlteredBeast said:
Yes, pompous because Blu-Ray owners chose a format that would be FORCED into MILLIONS of homes and had the support of the CLEAR MAJORITY of studios that was technically SUPERIOR in terms of technology.

AlteredBeast said:
Oh, dear.... The pomposity of BD supporters after the WB decision pales GREATLY in comparison to the fervor seen from the reds when the Paramount deal went down. Hell, the reds would be rejoicing over made up/spun things to make HD DVD look good before that but they actually had some good news. It was fucking pandemonium.

The "pomposity" you refer to by BD supporters is subdued comparatively speaking and is STILL outweighed by the massive amounts of BS coming from the HD DVD fanatics about digital downloads, the WB choice being somehow wrong for the consumer, hypocritically crying foul about unconfirmed reports of $650 mil payoffs etc when they denied Par's CONFIRMED $150 million payoff when the shoe was on the other foot etc.

thaivo

AlteredBeast said:
:D

thaivo

Whipped Spartan said:
Any one know what constitutes a recipt for the 5 fre Blu Ray movies if you bought your PS3 online? Anyone have any experience with this?
Usually the packingslip will do. If you are worried, you could also reprint the order confirmation with your address, and match it with the packing slip. I've gotten rebates in similar fashion. Which PS3 did you get?

Snah said:

HD DVD as a format had its merits. Blu Ray was never the "best possible way" because of region coding, along with other things.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Nicodimas said:
Warner will still probably give hd-dvd the better treatment.

Hd-dvds will not stops working if the format actually does lose.

warner are releasing the HDDVDs 3 weeks after the blurays. That is a clear political statement they are making.

"we are contractually obliged to release all HDM in HDDVD but the contract doesn't say when"

Thats what that means. I doubt you'll see any more HDDVDs with advanced menus etc. Warner just won't spend any money on them.

As for T2, I already have 1 & 2 on bluray, why do I care?

M3wThr33

Banned
IronicallyTwisted said:
HD DVD as a format had its merits. Blu Ray was never the "best possible way" because of region coding, along with other things.
Ahh, but having the OPTION to region-lock something is what attracted studios to Blu-Ray to begin with. In fact, I'd say the decision by HD-DVD to have no region lock is maybe one of the BIGGEST factors of why some companies didn't adopt it.

Snah

Banned
M3wThr33 said:
Ahh, but having the OPTION to region-lock something is what attracted studios to Blu-Ray to begin with. In fact, I'd say the decision by HD-DVD to have no region lock is maybe one of the BIGGEST factors of why some companies didn't adopt it.

Yup.

Studios would rather have the option of region coding; it gives them more control over their content.

M3wThr33 said:

Who gives a shit what studios want. Whats good for the CONSUMER is region free.

IronicallyTwisted said:
Who gives a shit what studios want. Whats good for the CONSUMER is region free.
The studios give a shit what the studios want though, and they're the ones releasing the movies. Those studios (Fox, New Line, Disney) specifically chose BD because HD DVD was not what they wanted mostly based on the lack of region coding.

polyh3dron said:
The studios give a shit what the studios want though. Those studios (Fox, New Line, Disney) specifically chose BD because HD DVD was not what they wanted mostly based on the lack of region coding.

And that has what to do with my point? HD DVD being region free was a point for it being a superior medium. As a consumer I want a region free product, not the same coded bullshit we had to deal with on DVD's. I could care less why Blu Ray won, it being region locked is a bad thing, and if you think otherwise you might as well tatoo a sony logo on your forehead.

IronicallyTwisted said:
And that has what to do with my point? HD DVD being region free was a point for it being a superior medium. As a consumer I want a region free product, not the same coded bullshit we had to deal with on DVD's. I could care less why Blu Ray won, it being region locked is a bad thing, and if you think otherwise you might as well tatoo a sony logo on your forehead.
Too bad you don't run a studio lulz. It's called business and some of these studios sell off international rights both theatrically and on home video to get money so they can get these movies made. Selling off home video rights in Germany to SchwartzenFlugen GmbH for your film isn't as easy of a sell when Germans can simply import the US version which comes out earlier and are able to play it on their players. Since WB and Universal usually hold distribution rights for their films worldwide it isn't as much of an issue for them. However, for a company like New Line, region coding is a necessity for the way they do business.

Remember though.. Region coding is not mandatory on BD like it is on DVD. Studios are free to omit it if they want.

Also, there are fewer BD regions than there were DVD regions. Japan and North America share the same region for example. So this region coding is far more lenient than DVD's.

polyh3dron said:
Too bad you don't run a studio lulz. It's called business and some of these studios sell off international rights both theatrically and on home video to get money so they can get these movies made. Selling off home video rights in Germany to SchwartzenFlugen GmbH for your film isn't as easy of a sell when Germans can simply import the US version which comes out earlier and are able to play it on their players. Since WB and Universal usually hold distribution rights for their films worldwide it isn't as much of an issue for them. However, for a company like New Line, region coding is a necessity for the way they do business.

Remember though.. Region coding is not mandatory on BD like it is on DVD. Studios are free to omit it if they want.

Also, there are fewer BD regions than there were DVD regions. Japan and North America share the same region for example. So this region coding is far more lenient than DVD's.

Thanks for the ramble on why studios like region coding. Go back and read my posts again.

And 3 regions is worse than none.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom