• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SRG01

djkimothy said:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3ib77125d96b22e86027d0bfb0c25aa58d

Take this with a huge Gordon Ramsay portion of salt and shove this in the rumour oven.

I'm not going to quote the article here but this part is interesting...

It was quite obvious that the price reductions were unsustainable so this rumour seems to support that.

I still find this hard to believe, but interesting read.

edit: LOL Bobo...

I'm actually not surprised at this. Toshiba, as large of a company as they are, isn't doing so hot lately. Some belt-tightening would be expected.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Replicant said:
Well, if Hollywood Reporter is the source then yeah. This is the ultimate source for insider's news. I usually get most of casting announcement, etc from them since they're accurate and don't do BS like other sites.

They did say in the article that Best Buy dropped HDDVD, (rather than just recommended Blu-Ray if customers asked) so I don't have the same impression of their accuracy.
Still, this wouldn't surprise me at all.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Wow, I seriously expected Toshiba to, for some unknown reason, stay in it until both Paramount and Universal left.

They will gain a bit of undeserved respect if they drop it before May.

But, the article really lays it out, and it does make sense.
Their last ditch efforts failed to have any effect, it's time to throw in the towel.

mollipen

Costanza said:
if for real, I hope it happens in time for Paramount to be able to switch and get There Will Be Blood on Blu. I don't want to buy all these movies on red now :(

I would be shocked... SHOCKED... if any new released from January of this year on weren't alright finished, ready, and waiting for release on Blu-ray by at least Paramount. They may not have been physically pressed yet, but I would bet a lot of money on the fact that they are 100% completely and ready to be pressed to disc at a moment's notice.

djkimothy

RaidenZR said:
How reliable is Hollywood Reporter? Wouldn't this news be likely to come out of some financial times reports or something?

Apparently they're credible, plus 1 of the authors of the article also writes in Home Media Magazine.

Edit: The AVS Mods must be working overtime, they're deleting every second post in their respective thread. :lol

KZObsessed

"This would be a major blow to consumers!"

:lol

From Winn at Blu-ray.com

TOKYO/PRNewswire/ -- Toshiba is quite surprised and disappointed by Toshiba's decision to abandon HD DVD in favor of Blu-ray, despite the fact it is extremely early to spot which format will eventually win. We’re confident that HD DVD’s afford ability, fantastic choice of movies, great consumer experience and upcoming promotions will help it continue to strengthen its share of the market. Not forgetting our hugely successful Super Bowl advert, which went down a storm.
We were particularly disappointed that this decision was made in spite of the significant momentum HD DVD has gained in the US market as well as other regions in 2007. HD DVD players and PCs have outsold Blu-ray in the US market in 2007.
We will assess the potential impact of this announcement with the other HD DVD partner companies and evaluate potential next steps. We remain firm in our belief that HD DVD is the format best suited to the wants and needs of the consumer.

lmao!

RaidenZR

If this news is true then it puts an end to this:

spin.jpg

Hopefully...

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
"Toshiba is quite surprised and disappointed by Toshiba's decision to abandon HD DVD in favor of Blu-ray"

Edit: On second thought, that analogy does not really work :lol

avaya

Penton-Man confirmed that the big announcement, for which the business decision has already been made is a matter of logistics at the moment. He confirmed it is NOT a movie studio.

Everyone thought Walmart. No one guessed Toshiba.

JB1981

avaya said:
Penton-Man confirmed that the big announcement, for which the business decision has already been made is a matter of logistics at the moment. He confirmed it is NOT a movie studio.

time to knock over the hd-dvd racks?

djkimothy

avaya said:

Would he be privy to such information though? I thought he was blu-ray insider?

avaya

djkimothy said:
Would he be privy to such information though? I thought he was blu-ray insider?

He is a high-level suit within Sony Pictures, so if Toshiba is dropping HD-DVD he would be privy to it via Universal and Paramount contacts. Toshiba would normally tell Sony in Japan anyway prior to the official announcement since both are close outside of this affair. From his comments Graffeo has actually been checking out Blu-ray for Universal, for some time.

All guessing at the moment though. He could have been talking about Circuit City!

Mrbob

avaya said:

Hell yeah.

One HD future, bring it on!

The Blu Ray camp is not bitter though Toshiba. Join us and help us conquer the hd world!

Nicodimas

Banned
glances at article...nothing to crazy. Nothing official..

*At worst* this would allow the put put out combo unit as if you did not know Toshiba(Samsung) already has a stake in Blu-ray. Just Like Sony(NEC) has one in HD-dvd. It's business and a smart decision at worst.

Lets just say they start giving it the combo player format later this year and release these at 400 dollars or so. This would destory all the other blu-ray players (including the samsungs) as it would play blu-rays and HD-DVD's, exciting news for the blue people as they would now have the support of the entire HD-DVD catalog. Paramount and Universal would just stay exclusive as they are supporting the less expensive format to produce. As sales amassed again people would start switching to combo players and then the studios would jump to the less expensive format to produce.

Anyhow the above news is not going to happen as its totally bunk.

I thought it was more interesting that Warner is not stopping the presses on Hd-dvd so long as support continues. Onix would find this interesting of anyone as this should be more important news then anything else out today.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multim...lks_About_HD_DVD_Releases_After_Mid_2008.html

Nicodimas said:

*At worst* this would allow the put put out combo unit as if you did not know Toshiba(Samsung) already has a stake in Blu-ray. Just Like Sony(NEC) has one in HD-dvd. It's business and a smart decision at worst.

Lets just say they start giving it the combo player format later this year and release these at 400 dollars or so. This would destory all the other blu-ray players (including the samsungs) as it would play blu-rays and HD-DVD's exciting news for the blue people as they would now have the support of the entire HD-DVD catalog. It would contain Toshiba superior technology plus brand recognition. Paramount and Universal would just stay exclusive as they are supporting the less expensive format to produce. As sales amassed again people would start switching to combo players and then the studios would jump to the less expensive format to produce.

I thought it was more interesting that Warner is not stopping the presses on Hd-dvd so long as support continues. Onix would find this interesting of anyone as this should be more important news then anything else out today.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multim...lks_About_HD_DVD_Releases_After_Mid_2008.html

Nicodimas
Support your local radical HD-DVD militia(Today, 01:58 AM)
Reply | Quote

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Insane Metal said:
Nicodimas
Support your local radical HD-DVD militia(Today, 01:58 AM)
Reply | Quote

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Wow...just....wow.....

It is funny you know, when someone sent me the xbit link as a laugh I said to myself "Nico will have a huge hard on for the 'news'" and I waited and waited and it was worth the wait.
It is not even that it is an obvious misquote, or that the article is pretty slanted it is just that I knew that any news would be good news in hd's situation.
But the fact that Nico will ignore one thing so quickly to point to the xbit story like it is scripture is mind numbing

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Nicodimas said:

Lets just say they start giving it the combo player format later this year and release these at 400 dollars or so. This would destory all the other blu-ray players (including the samsungs) as it would play blu-rays and HD-DVD's, exciting news for the blue people as they would now have the support of the entire HD-DVD catalog. Paramount and Universal would just stay exclusive as they are supporting the less expensive format to produce. As sales amassed again people would start switching to combo players and then the studios would jump to the less expensive format to produce.

Christ. You would have been an EPIC violinist on the Titanic.

wait, what?

so if toshiba *does* in fact drop hd-dvd, what does that mean for uni and paramount?

Will I be watching a non import version of children of men on blu ray by then end of the year?

Edit: Too bad Snah is b7...

Nicodimas

Banned
http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.aspx?NewsId=22499

With that hd-dvd recorder in japan with some built in firewire this should get interesting.

Hitachi Maxell will release the first 2x HD DVD-R/RW media by the end of the month, while Mitsubishi Chemical Media made a step further with the announcement of the first HD DVD-R DLs.

Hitachi Maxell's HD DVD-R and HD DVD-RW support the 2x burning speed and will be available in Japan end of February in both variations for data and video.

The company's HD DVD-Rs (15GB) feature a track pitch of just 0.40μm as well as an organic dye. The new media also support the LTH (Low to High) recording mode.

Hitachi Maxell has also developed a new phase-change recording material for the new HD DVD-RW discs. Called "Bismuth Coupling Material" (BCM-HD), it allows for fast and accurate recording (low S/N ratio) while it maintains high erasability. The same technology had been also applied to the first 5x DVD-RAM media in 2004 as well as to the latest 12x DVD-RAMs.

In addition, Japanese optical media pioneer Mitsubishi Chemical media Ltd announced today its first HD DVD-R and HD DVD-R DL media, scheduled to retail in Japan later in February and March, respectively. They come in versions for video and data and feature printable surfaces compatible with inkjet printers.

The HD DVD-R (15GB) discs feature a highly sensitive recording layer that allows burning at 2x, by applying the power that was previously used for burning at 1x. Mitsubishi claims it has managed to offer a playability of 100 million times.

The new HD DVD-R DL 30GB discs (1x) offer storage space for up to four hours of film material in HD quality. Their proven AZO recording layer technology ensures a high degree of laser sensitivity and error-free reading of the data. Mitsubishi also uses the DVD-R DL 2P manufacturing process in the production of the HD DVD-R DL. With this method, the two layers are produced one after the other on one side of the HD DVD. Precise stampers and precision molding equipment ensure perfectly flat HD DVDs that comply with all the standards for high recording quality.

The new HD DVD-R SL and HD DVD R DL conform to the "HD DVD-R Specification ver.1.1" and "HD DVD-R for DL Specification ver.2.1" respectively, as they are defined by the DVD Forum. Maxell's HD DVD-RW offer the essential characteristics as they are defined in the HD DVD-RW "DVD "Specifications for High Density Re-recordable Disc Ver.1.1".

Mitsubishi has no plans to release HD DVD RW media, at least for now.

Japanese manufacturers of optical disc media seems to be ready to support Toshiba's effort to establish the HD DVD format as a recordable medium on both CE and PC recorders, despite the strong pressure the format receives from the Blu-ray camp. Until now, Toshiba has been conservative to release HD DVD drives for the after market (retail), focusing in the OEM market. The company delivers its slim-type HD DVD drives through its Quosmio notebooks. Currently, Toshiba plans to release Half Height HD DVD burner drive for both OEM and retail, starting from mid of this year.

Nicodimas said:
http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.aspx?NewsId=22499

With that hd-dvd recorder in japan with some built in firewire this should get interesting.

Hitachi Maxell will release the first 2x HD DVD-R/RW media by the end of the month, while Mitsubishi Chemical Media made a step further with the announcement of the first HD DVD-R DLs.

Hitachi Maxell's HD DVD-R and HD DVD-RW support the 2x burning speed and will be available in Japan end of February in both variations for data and video.

The company's HD DVD-Rs (15GB) feature a track pitch of just 0.40μm as well as an organic dye. The new media also support the LTH (Low to High) recording mode.

Hitachi Maxell has also developed a new phase-change recording material for the new HD DVD-RW discs. Called "Bismuth Coupling Material" (BCM-HD), it allows for fast and accurate recording (low S/N ratio) while it maintains high erasability. The same technology had been also applied to the first 5x DVD-RAM media in 2004 as well as to the latest 12x DVD-RAMs.

In addition, Japanese optical media pioneer Mitsubishi Chemical media Ltd announced today its first HD DVD-R and HD DVD-R DL media, scheduled to retail in Japan later in February and March, respectively. They come in versions for video and data and feature printable surfaces compatible with inkjet printers.

The HD DVD-R (15GB) discs feature a highly sensitive recording layer that allows burning at 2x, by applying the power that was previously used for burning at 1x. Mitsubishi claims it has managed to offer a playability of 100 million times.

The new HD DVD-R DL 30GB discs (1x) offer storage space for up to four hours of film material in HD quality. Their proven AZO recording layer technology ensures a high degree of laser sensitivity and error-free reading of the data. Mitsubishi also uses the DVD-R DL 2P manufacturing process in the production of the HD DVD-R DL. With this method, the two layers are produced one after the other on one side of the HD DVD. Precise stampers and precision molding equipment ensure perfectly flat HD DVDs that comply with all the standards for high recording quality.

The new HD DVD-R SL and HD DVD R DL conform to the "HD DVD-R Specification ver.1.1" and "HD DVD-R for DL Specification ver.2.1" respectively, as they are defined by the DVD Forum. Maxell's HD DVD-RW offer the essential characteristics as they are defined in the HD DVD-RW "DVD "Specifications for High Density Re-recordable Disc Ver.1.1".

Mitsubishi has no plans to release HD DVD RW media, at least for now.

Japanese manufacturers of optical disc media seems to be ready to support Toshiba's effort to establish the HD DVD format as a recordable medium on both CE and PC recorders, despite the strong pressure the format receives from the Blu-ray camp. Until now, Toshiba has been conservative to release HD DVD drives for the after market (retail), focusing in the OEM market. The company delivers its slim-type HD DVD drives through its Quosmio notebooks. Currently, Toshiba plans to release Half Height HD DVD burner drive for both OEM and retail, starting from mid of this year.

NOBODY CARES.

Nicodimas said:
pointless shit

NO THIS IS REALLY GOOD HUH

More good news (Blu-ray related of course):
Sigmatek Announces SBR-1000 Blu-ray Player

Posted February 14, 2008 by Josh

Sigmatek Sigmatek has announced their first Blu-ray product: a standalone Blu-ray Disc player, the SBR-1000. The player will retail for under 250€ making it by far the cheapest player on the European market. The player will support 1080p24 and 1080p60 output via a HDMI v1.3 connection, as well as being able to decode Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby TrueHD.

Building this low cost player is possible because it makes use of the recently announced Sony/Nichia laser which is cheaper to produce than typical Blu-ray lasers. The player should be available sometime in April.

45_1_large.jpg

* Output Resolution: 1080p (24/60) / 720p
* HDMI Version: 1.3
* Audio Decoding: Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby True HD, DTS, MP3
* Media Support: BD-Rom/DVD/VCD/CD/CD-R/DVD+R (RW)
* Video Output: HDMI/Component/Composite
* Audio Output: Coaxial
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=963

Really sleek looking huh? ;)

And

Sharp Announces New Blu-ray Lasers

Posted February 14, 2008 by Josh

Sharp Sharp, the industry leader in Blu-ray laser diode manufacturing, has announced two new Blu-ray lasers. The new design allows for an industry leading 250mW output, allowing for 4-6X recording of Blu-ray media. The smaller 3.3mm version (GH04P25A4G) will be made available for laptops, while the larger 5.6mm version (GH04P25A2G) will be for PC drives.

When production begins in April, Sharp expects operating at maximum capacity will output 700,000 units every month. Sharp will utilize these laser diodes in their Blu-ray products during the second half of the year.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=964

Go Blu, go! :D

Remy

I wouldn't read too much into the hd-dvd.com thing. A quick trip to WHOIS shows it's registered/owned by someone who isn't Toshiba and is basically a domain squatter (google the street address).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom