• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mackaveli

don't know if it's been said,

but i remember someone here said the ratio is 80/20, but it could be 81/19 because the hollywoodreporter article about toshiba might drop hd-dvd reported it was 81/19 this week.

djkimothy

mackaveli said:
don't know if it's been said,

but i remember someone here said the ratio is 80/20, but it could be 81/19 because the hollywoodreporter article about toshiba might drop hd-dvd reported it was 81/19 this week.

Yah, 81/19 are the official numbers, that much we've accepted.

Kittonwy

Banned
djkimothy said:
Hehh... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LtYk7wsFnk

You know when the shit hits the fan when Reuters picks this up.

http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSN1451010520080215

Toshiba HAS to make a statement tomorrow now, else the market will euthanize HDDVD for them.

Toshiba can't keep this up and they know it and they know they're completely on their own, it's almost sad if it wasn't so much fun. I doubt Reuters would report on this if they didn't believe this is pretty close to the mark, I'm not sure what Toshiba can say, probably not the way Toshiba had imagined how they would make their exit.

border

Why does Toshiba have to make a statement? It seems like there are plenty of other media formats that just trailed off into obscurity, without a format declaration of defeat...

Raistlin

border said:
Why does Toshiba have to make a statement? It seems like there are plenty of other media formats that just trailed off into obscurity, without a format declaration of defeat...

Because they're losing a crap load of money. So if they are killing it off, that means they will stop player production ... which is going to be quite obvious. Similarly, when they bring out a BD player, its going to be pretty obvious.

Better to make a formal PR address, rather than letting the media 'break' the news.

djkimothy

border said:

Heh, like UMD?

Well, I'm guessing right now they want to sell off as many players as they can and don't want to hurt any of the current movie sales if this announcement is too premature. But they can do us all a favour and get this over with, so they could also just confirm this speculation.

Yo Kitt! Haven't seen you since the good old Resistance days. See you've moved on to DMC4. ;)

Kittonwy

Banned
djkimothy said:
Heh, like UMD?

Well, I'm guessing right now they want to sell off as many players as they can and don't want to hurt any of the current movie sales if this announcement is too premature. But they can do us all a favour and get this over with, so they could also just confirm this speculation.

Yo Kitt! Haven't seen you since the good old Resistance days. See you've moved on to DMC4. ;)

We're still playing Resistance like 4 nights a week, I managed to sneak in one playthrough of DMC4 while constantly being disrupted on clan nights, which will likely go all the way to at least the Resistance 2 beta if not up until release, dudes love their Resistance I guess.
angry.gif

djkimothy

Onix said:
huh? How is that remotely similar?
Well, I just figure it's somewhat dead, or at least not reaching the same mainstream adoption that Blu-ray will eventually get. Of course I may be wrong, I dont follow that format at all. :/

We're still playing Resistance like 4 nights a week, I managed to sneak in one playthrough of DMC4 while constantly being disrupted on clan nights, which will likely go all the way to at least the Resistance 2 beta if not up until release, dudes love their Resistance I guess.

I liked it too, but I moved on. :D

Raistlin

djkimothy said:
Well, I just figure it's somewhat dead, or at least not reaching the same mainstream adoption that Blu-ray will eventually get. Of course I may be wrong, I dont follow that format at all. :/

I just meant, whether it lives or dies ... it was never a dedicated movie format. There are no 'players' for it other than PSP. UMD existed first and foremost so PSP could have games.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
The 80/20 is sticking even after the BOGOs and the super bowl commercial. It's interesting to see toshiba holding out here, I mean releasing movies like cloverfield and such like they still have a chance. It'll be interesting to see what happens when march 11th comes around or w/e that week is. It has to be around 90/10 that week. Independence day, I robot, No country, and more.

iceatcs

bune duggy said:
I saw it in the NPD thread and it made me laugh. Then it seemed like an appropriate re-entry to this thread. :D only took 17 days.

Yeah it is prefect shock emo gif and same time it is also cute.

Seriously, how long took the company decide to withdrawn the product, if it took about a month to do on paper work (legal things). If so, why oh why Toshiba decided to spent on advert for Superbowl day.

iceatcs said:
Yeah it is prefect shock emo gif and same time it is also cute.

Seriously, how long took the company decide to withdrawn the product, if it took about a month to do on paper work (legal things). If so, why oh why Toshiba decided to spent on advert for Superbowl day.

Well they got rid of more of their stock anyway...or did they seeing how software sales are actually worse than the week before the superbowl ad?:lol

Raistlin

iceatcs said:
If so, why oh why Toshiba decided to spent on advert for Superbowl day.

I would suspect part of the deal for Paramount to come over (and Uni to stay?) was that some level of advertising had to be made by the HD DVD Consortium. I would guess a Super Bowl ad was part of it?

Considering it looked like they literally spent the least they could on the advert ... it seems to fit. It was a contractual obligation, and nothing more. Kind of like HD DVD disc releases lately. Minimum required to fulfill contracts seems to be the name of the game with all involved at this point.

Kittonwy

Banned
Oh shit Yahoo has picked up Reuter/Hollywood Reporter's story as well.:lol

There's no way Jodi can stop this, it's bleeding out EVERYWHERE.
Indifferent2.gif

Now how can I be informed of the upcoming HD-DVD clearance sales? I wanna buy lots of cheap HD-DVDs. (Although there is not much good available.)

GuessWho said:
anybody else getting American Gangster? Heard it's a great movie.
Not on HD DVD that's for sure.. I stopped buying HD DVDs the day WB went Blu.

Toshiba had better make a good combo player though, I'll buy that shit day 1. Samsung and LG's combo players are pieces of SHIT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom